Forum › Suggestions for Improvement V3

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

It'd be useful if, when searching, there was a way to tell that you already have a manga on one of your lists without having to open the manga and check. Something like some sort of icon that appears by the manga's name in the search would be useful.

Also a random manga link (sort of like the random chapter that appears on the front page) would be an interesting feature. I find myself refreshing the front page repeatedly at times to see what pops up. That seems like it'd work better with a dedicated link or something.

KimberStormer
Oc3
joined Jul 24, 2015

Hi :3 first of all Congrats for your website <3 i write here cause i don't know where i have to... ^^' sorry!!! Well... <3 you are fantastic! i'd like to ask you something ^ i'm part of a team called Orange Cream . "OC" is a yuri manga novel O (a wonderfull yuri manga novel believe me <3 )and is a project that we have created with two other girls besides me (one is the writer of the story, the other is the mangaka) . I wondered if there was going to read it to you and if you went to exchange advertising each other _ of course we will exchange spam on my yuri page! Thank you and sorry for the trouble!, i let here the fb link page
www.facebook.com/orangecreammanga and the blog www.orangecreamyurimanganovel.blogspot.it

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

I think the resize button in the top right corner should take care of that.

edit: okay, so it doesn't always resize properly

If the resolution is too large in general, then normally, you would resize it, yes. (Still, not an excuse for bad controls!) But not for spreads. I want to read them in the same resolution as the rest. I don't have a problem with scrolling the occasional spread in principle, if it's implemented well.

last edited at Jul 24, 2015 5:11PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

DrMario, where is your avatar from?

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

I also want to request another thing. There doesn't seem to be a convenient way to find your own posts. When I want to go to my posts (e.g. to see if someone replied) I have to find a post I remember making and then click on the link under the avatar there to find the rest. What a detour! It'd be nice to have this functionality on your profile page.

It's from Sweet Blue Flowers.

last edited at Jul 24, 2015 5:19PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Thanks.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

There doesn't seem to be a convenient way to find your own posts. When I want to go to my posts (e.g. to see if someone replied) I have to find a post I remember making and then click on the link under the avatar there to find the rest.

In the meantime, it may be easier/useful to learn your user id, if you just want to find your posts.

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

In the meantime, it may be easier/useful to learn your user id, if you just want to find your posts.

How does that work? What's my user id and what do I do with it? Simply putting my username in the search-box doesn't do anything and I honestly can't think of anything else.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Thanks.

Thiaguinho-sama in future please don't clutter up the suggestions thread with pointless chit-chat. Thanks.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

How does that work? What's my user id and what do I do with it?

Your user id'd be 15802 (you can find it after "user_id=" on said link under your avatar). You can just click the link on whoever and change the id into yours or just type dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts?user_id=(your id), whatever is easiest atm. It's not exactly what you want, but should at least save you the time of searching for one of your posts. You can also just bookmark the link.

last edited at Jul 24, 2015 6:20PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Sorry to bother the moderators with a similar problem, but it seems the tag suggestion process went from not accepting or rejecting at all to picking and choosing which ones to do that with. I have 2 tag suggestions from 12 days ago that weren't addressed, yet I recently made one today that was accepted within minutes. Maybe this isn't really a problem, but I just find it odd the way tags are handled in general. For example, I don't know if this is an unspoken tag rule, but whenever I seem to tag something with Masturbation that has the Lots of Sex tag, it is always denied. But some mangas I see have both, which totally goes against my whole theory. Also, how come Ecchi and NSFW can be tagged in the same manga? Ecchi means almost NSFW. It's one or the other. I don't mean to undermine anybody, because I realize managing a whole site is a chore and then some. I just feel like if there were more distinct rules on what each tag means (some of them can be interpreted in more than one way and really aren't specified enough or even quantifiable like FREEDOM, M Night Shyamalan, Moderate Amounts of Sex, Wishful thinking, Telling Twins Apart, ETC.), what tag can't go with another (more than what's already established), and maybe a reason to go with why a tag took longer than usual or why it was denied this whole thing would become a lot less confusing. If I had more free time and didn't have school I'd totally do that myself. I love this site and want it to be the best it can be. ALSO: I just thought of a new tag. If there's a Big Breasts tag, shouldn't there also be a Flat-Chested tag? Of course this would only apply if the story wasn't Lolicon. Some people like seeing non-loli flat-chested women. I think it would be beneficial.

last edited at Jul 26, 2015 4:08PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Sorry to bother the moderators with a similar problem, but it seems the tag suggestion process went from not accepting or rejecting at all to picking and choosing which ones to do that with. I have 2 tag suggestions from 12 days ago that weren't addressed, yet I recently made one today that was accepted within minutes. Maybe this isn't really a problem, but I just find it odd the way tags are handled in general.

It's not a problem. I took the week off, meaning it was a slow week for us. The way tags are handled is simple: obvious tag suggestions are accepted on sight, debatable suggestions are debated. Sometimes, tags may be left for days or weeks because quite frankly, tagging is not a top priority, nor is it an exact science.

For example, I don't know if this is an unspoken tag rule, but whenever I seem to tag something with Masturbation that has the Lots of Sex tag, it is always denied. But some mangas I see have both, which totally goes against my whole theory.

Your theory would be incorrect. If such a conflict between tags exists, it will be clearly marked as such. Your suggestion is most likely denied because it didn't have as much masturbation as we deem appropriate to be tagged.

Also, how come Ecchi and NSFW can be tagged in the same manga? Ecchi means almost NSFW. It's one or the other.

Without a specific example, I'm not sure I could say exactly. In the case of the several series' that have both tags, the series likely started out with the Ecchi tag, but later needed the NSFW tag as well. While they may not apply to all the same chapters, they are both accurate tags of the content in question. Overall, ecchi also has more meanings than "almost NSFW" and often is used to refer to a specific kind of nsfw content (i.e. the humorous/teasing kind that doesn't actually involve sex).
As an example, Everyday Monster Girls receives both tags for both reasons - it is also tagged ecchi on MAL, Batoto and Manga Updates in spite of it being clearly nsfw because ecchi is an accurate description of the content.

I just feel like if there were more distinct rules on what each tag means (some of them can be interpreted in more than one way and really aren't specified enough or even quantifiable like FREEDOM, M Night Shyamalan, Moderate Amounts of Sex, Wishful thinking, Telling Twins Apart, ETC.)

Most tags are self-explanatory, and I don't believe the ones that aren't are particularly confusing in context. Some tags, like M Night Shyamalan are clearly used jokingly, and any attempt at description for means of categorization would be vastly missing the point. That said, I'm happy to entertain any questions about tag meanings though they may not result in any changes to the tag description or the site.

what tag can't go with another (more than what's already established)

This has most likely been established but may not be available for all to see unless deemed necessary. In most cases, tags that should not be used together will be clearly marked in their description, or will be obvious by way of redundancy (i.e. Subtext and Yuri should not both be used at once). I would welcome any and all specific cases of confusion where such conflicts are not directly marked (in the tag's own thread instead of here, preferably). Admittedly, there is quite a bit "in-the-works" as far as tags are concerned, but I haven't gotten to it yet and thus would welcome the feedback.

and maybe a reason to go with why a tag took longer than usual or why it was denied this whole thing would become a lot less confusing.

I agree, and a feedback system is being considered for implementation. Unfortunately, there's simply no easy way to go about doing that outside of it being implemented into the site.

ALSO: I just thought of a new tag. If there's a Big Breasts tag, shouldn't there also be a Flat-Chested tag? Of course this would only apply if the story wasn't Lolicon. Some people like seeing non-loli flat-chested women. I think it would be beneficial.

Thank you for the suggestion, it will be considered~

last edited at Jul 26, 2015 10:32PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Thank you for the response OrangePekoe. A lot of my questions and concerns were addressed and I really appreciate the feedback. I think I understand how the tag system works a lot better now and will keep all you have said in mind for the future. I'll keep you and others updated on the tag thread if I see any specific examples of problems I have with the system that wouldn't be appropriate for this one. Welcome back from your break and I hope things go well in the future.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Any time, I'm always up for discussing the inner workings of the site. And thank you for the well wishes :)

last edited at Jul 27, 2015 5:01PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

On topic of tags. I don't remember right now if there was anything else I found wrong with other tags, but I think that Missing Y chromosome tag could be changed to something like Females only. It sounds more intuitive and is much less confusing at first glance.

last edited at Jul 27, 2015 7:09PM

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

On topic of tags. I don't remember right now if there was anything else I found wrong with other tags, but I think that Missing Y chromosome tag could be changed to something like Females only. It sounds more intuitive and is much less confusing at first glance.

Honestly it should probably just be deleted.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

DrMario

I think the controls for large images are poorly designed. Usually I use the left/right arrow keys to flip through the pages. If a page is larger than the screen (usually because it's a spread), the keys are used for scrolling. However, and this is the problem, once the edge is reached, the reader immediately flips to the next page. That is super annoying. My suggested solution would be this:
If the user keeps holding the arrow key the scrolling simply stops at the edge. If he then lets go of the key and afterwards presses the direction while already at the end, the reader flips to the next or previous page.

Really good point. It's something I've noticed in the past but passed over mentally till now.

Alice Cheshire

It'd be useful if, when searching, there was a way to tell that you already have a manga on one of your lists without having to open the manga and check. Something like some sort of icon that appears by the manga's name in the search would be useful.

Expanded site search is planned. I'll make a note of this, could be useful.

Also a random manga link (sort of like the random chapter that appears on the front page) would be an interesting feature. I find myself refreshing the front page repeatedly at times to see what pops up. That seems like it'd work better with a dedicated link or something.

Yeah, this would be cool too.

last edited at Jul 27, 2015 9:54PM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Announcement Thing

Time for some clean-up! This is going to be sort of a super post covering all the suggestions, questions, etc. that we didn't get to earlier in the year. If you don't find an answer to your post and you really want one, just quote yourself and re-post and I'll get to it.

(This actually turned out quite a bit shorter than I intended, but I think I covered most everything that needed to be.)

Frequently suggested features/frequently asked questions (FAQ):

Status page/feedback for upload requests?

Under the current system this is not possible, and there are no plans for implementing such a feature at this time.

Is there a way to search for specific forum threads?

Integrated forum search will be implemented eventually.
In the meantime, use Google for that. "site:dynasty-scans/forum name-of-thread" (credits to aletto)

Can I PM other users?

Currently, no. This is however a highly requested feature.

I'm unable to view some two-page spreads in Firefox/IE correctly.

This is a well known bug with no fix at the current time, unfortunately. When a fix does come, we'll post an announcement here.

I'm having problems with the mobile version of the site!!

Unfortunately these issues are widespread. Please report any specific issues you're experiencing (and thanks to those who have already done so).

Other recent suggestions considered:

• Expand whitelist/blacklist functionality to Images section, random chapter and featured chapter.

• Ability to view own posts via a link in profile drop-down menu.

• Direct link functionality to forum posts, and attach direct links to post history.

• Add a site revision page showing all changes made to the site (new tags, artists, uploads, etc.)

last edited at Jul 28, 2015 11:45AM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

To also reply to a few specific posts that need to be replied to:

VivianGames April 1, 2015 7:56AM

Can we please change the "transsexual" tag to "transgender"?

Absolutely, tag changed. Sorry for the huge delay on this, I'm not sure why it took so long.

Cecilia Zurdo May 8, 2015 12:43AM

May I ask if my user name can be changed? I accidentally put my real name and I truly hate it xD (please, if not I have to delete all my posts)

Would you still like your name changed? If so, please e-mail me and I'd be happy to help!

KimberStormer

Hi :3 first of all Congrats for your website <3 i write here cause i don't know where i have to... ^^' sorry!!! Well... <3 you are fantastic! i'd like to ask you something ^ i'm part of a team called Orange Cream . "OC" is a yuri manga novel O (a wonderfull yuri manga novel believe me <3 )and is a project that we have created with two other girls besides me (one is the writer of the story, the other is the mangaka) . I wondered if there was going to read it to you and if you went to exchange advertising each other _ of course we will exchange spam on my yuri page! Thank you and sorry for the trouble!, i let here the fb link page
www.facebook.com/orangecreammanga and the blog www.orangecreamyurimanganovel.blogspot.it

Please e-mail me, thank you.

last edited at Jul 27, 2015 10:24PM

joined Jul 30, 2014

As Dynasty Scans have become more tailored for more readers of different tastes, there should be a filter.
Ex: Het, Cross-Dressing, Trap to name a few recent ones.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

As Dynasty Scans have become more tailored for more readers of different tastes, there should be a filter.
Ex: Het, Cross-Dressing, Trap to name a few recent ones.

There is. Click your user name and "Manage Profile". There's a blacklist.

joined Jan 31, 2015

I would like to make the following suggestion.

It is something that I have mentioned before but just randomly in some other thread. And I don't believe anyone has ever mentioned it in this suggestion thread.

Obviously merely my opinion... Basically, I feel that the "Source" button on image pages is not very prominent and a bit easy to miss.
e.g.
http://dynasty-scans.com/images/3920

Personally, when I post images, usually fan art, I always try to make sure to source them properly (give credit where it's due) but also to make the links prominent enough to try to encourage people to go check out the artists and their other works. I feel that any given image is basically a chance of "exposure" for the artist.

Furthermore, having the link as a "Source" button is inconsistent with how the link to the author's site on author pages is presented.
e.g.
http://dynasty-scans.com/authors/ssamba

As can be seen on the above example page, on author pages, it is a simple textual link where the label is the URL itself. Though it's not exactly the same thing (author's site vs source of an image), it is the same "kind" of thing, that is, a link to an external site page at the top of the page, and yet, they are presented quite differently.

Just personally speaking, I much prefer if the source link on image pages would be done in the same way as the link to the author's site. I think that is as prominent as it gets, because we (as in, anyone who is used to browsing the Web) would immediately see it, given that we have been "trained" to notice/locate links on webpages, and we are also "compelled" to click on prominent links.

Though this is a suggestion based merely on my preferences, I did notice a few other people also not noticing or knowing about that button. Purely anecdotal.

As a side note, given that certain URLs can be extremely long, then there would obviously need to be some consideration for layout and text overflow handling (most likely hiding the rest when it is too long). From a layout perspective, text links have the "disadvantage" of being variable in width rather than having a constant width like the "Source" button. But as long as it is handled properly, I don't think this would be much of an issue.

In my opinion, this is a very small change from a technical standpoint, but I feel that this might be beneficial to artists.

last edited at Jul 28, 2015 9:23PM

joined Jan 31, 2015

OrangePekoe:

Announcement Thing

[...]

• Direct link functionality to forum posts, and attach direct links to post history.

Would be great.

As mentioned before, there is indeed a "workaround" right now of getting the link with the correct page number and the fragment identifier to jump to the post on the page.
e.g. http://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/5734-suggestions-for-improvement-v3?page=14#forum_post_117274

However, while I personally am comfortable to do this (via Inspect Element, so on), it is not that easy for "normal people" to do. Also, even if you know how to do the "trick", it is still a pretty convoluted way to get a "pseudo-permalink".

More importantly, this really doesn't work that well if it is for a post near the top of the page. If one or many old posts in the thread get deleted, the post "falls" to the previous page, and so, given that the page number of the post is now different, that "pseudo-permalink" stops working.

last edited at Jul 28, 2015 11:37AM

joined Jan 31, 2015

Another suggestion:

On the series page, clicking on the cover thumbnail should open the original full-size image.

As far as I know, the thumbnail is always generated from a larger uploaded image, not uploaded as is (already as a small thumbnail). If this is correct, then this means that there is always a original full-size image for each thumbnail; it's just that there is no way to get to it.

e.g.

A series page:
http://dynasty-scans.com/series/stretch

The thumbnail on that page:
http://dynasty-scans.com/system/tag_contents_covers/000/004/175/medium/001_001_00.jpg?1393727377

There is no link to the original image.
However, you can manually go to it. You take the above URL and modify it to this:
http://dynasty-scans.com/system/tag_contents_covers/000/004/175/original/001_001_00.jpg?1393727377
Basically, you replace "medium" with "original".

last edited at Jul 28, 2015 2:05PM

[commie]%20go!%20princess%20precure%20-%2013%20[51546f94].mkv_snapshot_09.42_[2016.12.19_12.33.57]
joined Dec 10, 2014

Absolutely, tag changed. Sorry for the huge delay on this, I'm not sure why it took so long.

Thank you so much!

To reply you must either login or sign up.