Forum › Anime season

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

I'm honestly very confused on who this show is supposed to appeal to. It tries to tell a goofy-kinda dank story but it takes itself waaaay too seriously, the action is obviously supposed to appeal to people who like shit like Asterisk wars, and the character interactions are both serious/normal and dumb/harem-like but with no males. There's also way to many flashbacks
Besides the robo-duo and the soldier-wincest, I doubt there's gonna be any more canon yuri at this point.

It appeals to me if that counts :p

Tbh, I like that it takes itself seriously in some sense when presenting the characters: actually, that's probably the reason why I like it so much atm. It's plain action like some Hollywood movie at times, but the characterization presented in each arc is beyond the standard that is usually associated with such anime, its actually decent.

And depending on your definition of canon, the non Saya harem pairings (Alma x Solfina, Elel x Ramiel) presented are canon so far since there's nothing to say otherwise lol - considering the whole Saya harem thing is played for laughs anyways and should not be taken seriously.

last edited at Sep 19, 2016 5:33AM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Rye posted:

Aren't they just supposed to be something gay? why else would she hide them like that?

Kayo-chin posted:

One magazine is about "kabedon", or wall-bang, which is where a man (or in this case, a girl) corners a girl, placing a hand on the wall against which the girl is standing. Then he/she leans in for a kiss and magic happens and babies are born. Supposedly. I'm not sure how all of that works.

The other magazine seems to be about chin-in-hand kissing, something Riko has bought before.

Both magazines seem to be yuri, since it's very rare for a girl to do those things to a boy. In anime/manga at least.

EDIT: They also could be Girl x Wall, but who knows. Maybe that's actually not a thing.

Seriously. Are my post on auto ignore or what? I already answered it...

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Studio does matter most of the time, its probably Kirara/houbansha(spelling?) who gets the call.

I can't say for sure, but I believe most second season are made because the show gave profit to the studio.

In general the publisher is the most important part for these sort of things, but the idea I've been seeing around lately that the studio doesn't matter at all is pretty obviously wrong. I wouldn't really expect a New Game sequel regardless, though

Does this means what I think it means?

Interesting. That scene had a girl that looked like a RinPana lovechild, too

Depends on whether the studio is the sub-contractor or not, I think.
Not that I know how to figure that out.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Remember when Josuke was the main character? I DON'T

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Well this season was kinda shit.

only I'd recommend would be New Game, Amanchu, and Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru.

Heres hoping I get more to watch next season.
http://anichart.net/fall

Theres another Working series it seems(?), maybe this will do better than the other one's last season, itls pace was a disjointed mess.

Fune wo Amu looks like a show with potential of being a gem, and so does Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari

Mostly seeing generic trash tho.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

Posting this here for what I will pick up next season. Hopefully there'll be at least one anime that I can rank in my AoTY list later on.

Ange Vierge is definitely at least 2nd place for best anime I've watched so far this year, with Regalia being slightly behind but likely taking 1st place once it officially resumes.

last edited at Sep 24, 2016 9:34AM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Anyone else planning on watching Hibike!Euphonium ? I'm kinda excited for it. I haven't checked the rest of the Fall Anime, I usually decide to pick them when they come out and I see if I find their style and characters interesting enough.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

Anyone else planning on watching Hibike!Euphonium ? I'm kinda excited for it. I haven't checked the rest of the Fall Anime, I usually decide to pick them when they come out and I see if I find their style and characters interesting enough.

That's the one I'm most excited about.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

ME. I'M GOING TO WATCH TF OUT OF THAT, I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR IT EVER SINCE THEY ANNOUNCED A SEASON TWO

last edited at Sep 24, 2016 1:46PM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

Tbh Im not watching it.

Never was a biggest fan of KyoAni works, besides, unless they decide to stray from the books and actually make the yuri in the anime canon I don't see the value of picking it up. Fair note of advice though, if it does follow the book, stay away from r/anime discussion threads.

In other news, now that Qualidea Code has finished airing, I might marathon it if the yuri pairing in the anime stays that way.

Edit: I take back what I said in the previous post, Ange Vierge might actually get 1st place on my AoTY list, that final ep was amazing. So far, this final ep has set the bar for Regalia to beat in the fall, I'd really be interested in seeing if ep 5 to 12 can go beyond what the prologue arc delivered.

For anyone interested, this is how the list looks like currently:

1) Ange Vierge
2) Regalia
3) New Game / Fall 2016 entry
4) Fall 2016 entry / New Game
5) Fall 2016 entry / New Game

Base-line: Kabaneri

Kabaneri is setting the standard for recent anime, so my enjoyment will have to be on par or exceeding what it delivered for it to be ranked; if anycase, if nothing else in Fall meets the standard (unlikely), Kabaneri will be ranked 4th on the list after New Game. New Game has a rather unique situation in this case being an anime that is also exceptionally good this season but not quite as enjoyable as Ange Vierge was. The most likely rank that New Game will receive is 3rd place, but, depending on how Fall 2016 delivers, this can either change to 4th/5th place accordingly.

Side Note: I never include Winter season into my list because it doesn't count as within the year, however, any anime that I enjoy will set the baseline for Spring when the list officially starts. For the case of 2016, the baseline for Spring 2016 was Koukaku no Pandora.

last edited at Sep 25, 2016 1:26AM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Fair note of advice though, if it does follow the book, stay away from r/anime discussion threads.

Oh yeah I know. It has given one of the biggest shitstorms I've ever seen. But this shows has more than just the yuri subtext (if someone considers it that) so it's still a nice show to watch regardless. I'm fine if they don't get canon, I just wish there won't be a similar ending as the books. But if that happens, well, I won't regret watching it either.

To be honest, I wish there were more mature yuri shows. These moe shows are good, but not something I personally like.

As for Ange Vierge, I think there was a more potential in the yuri department. It wasn't handled to exploit its full potential imo, and that was a bit of a let down.
I wouldn't pick it for the pairings, but as an overal show it was not bad. Last episode was just a final battle and nothing much happened. Only good moment to me was Amane's backstory, which I found pretty sad and I'd watch the episode again only for the feels from her scenes.
For the battle, I think they could give a different opponent rather than just another fallen senpai, and maybe pair the girls with their senpais to defeat it.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Is the new love live characters as obnoxiously shit as the first series?
I only watch part of ep1 and I wanted to kill myself.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

Absolutely, I watched the first series without any problems, sure it was cheesy but not this bad.

To be honest, I wish there were more mature yuri shows. These moe shows are good, but not something I personally like.

Totally agree. I want something like Utena again or just the older yuri series that were romantic and not just cute and full of ''hints''.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

The new love live gets really better after the first half, but if you couldn't handle one episode then is not for you

last edited at Sep 24, 2016 8:33PM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

For the battle, I think they could give a different opponent rather than just another fallen senpai, and maybe pair the girls with their senpais to defeat it.

If you think about the anime entirely as Saya's character development arc, it does make some kind of sense that Hinata was the final opponent given that she was the one that kickstarted the main plot of the anime. But still, I agree that having more scenes of the girls and their senpai fighting alongside eachother as well would've been nice.

As much as this would be nice I wouldn't really count on it. Still, on an off note, have you tried Kuttsukiboshi? It's a 2 ep OVA but it's rather character driven. IIRC, the Candy Boy OVAs from a few years back are also not so high on the "moe" aspect.

edit: shameless advertising, but here's my much more detailed thoughts on Ep Final of Ange Vierge if anyone is interested in reading it.

last edited at Sep 24, 2016 11:34PM

joined Dec 9, 2014

As much as this would be nice I wouldn't really count on it. Still, on an off note, have you tried Kuttsukiboshi? It's a 2 ep OVA but it's rather character driven. IIRC, the Candy Boy OVAs from a few years back are also not so high on the "moe" aspect.

I remember watching Kuttsukiboshi long time ago. I didn't like it to be honest. Essentially it's a more hentai version of Sakura Trick imo. Mature doesn't have to be echii, but more like the characters' design, their age and their behavior.
Candy Boy was nice, nothing too major happening, but the drama and slice of life was flowing naturally, so it was easy to watch. Although I'm not into incest.

There are some yuri mangas out there that would be nice to get an anime adaptation, yet a lot of official ones are often echii and have weird character development. Something like Shujo Sect, I find that these relationships are often screwed up for the sake of fanservice.
Same thing I felt happened in Ange Vierge too, but not in this intensity. But I'm not complaining about this one in particular, because it was nice to watch in general anyway.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ I think I roughly get what you're looking for now...unfortunately it is pretty rare for such yuri series to be made in the recent years; and while I've never really been bothered by it but I can get where you're coming from.

What mangas would you like to see being animated though? I personally would enjoy Goukujou Drops being made into an OVA series or anime, as well as LOVE/DEATH - more so the latter because it is hilarious.

last edited at Sep 25, 2016 1:40PM

joined Dec 9, 2014

Love/Death would actually be interesting.
Something like Girlfriends would be nice. And to be honest, I'd also liked NTR and maybe Citrus, which I know a lot of people hate. Some manhwas are good too, but they have no chance of getting anime anyway.

But it's not like I really mind that they don't exist, the mangas are enough. I don't usually pick up anime for the pairings anyway. The best yuri pairings are in the subtext, in non yuri shows

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Oddly enough, Yuri visual novels seem to be gaining people's attention, enough to see more coming in the future.

Another Sono Hanabira game is getting officially translated, the New Generation one. And Starlight Vega creators are making another yuri.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

What I watched:

Amanchu: Pretty fun, nothing amazing. The manga is on the site now. Kinda gay specially at the beginning.

Ange Vierge: really mediocre, I could not get invested in the story. I got most of my enjoyment from the yuri. Only 2 canon couples. pretty anticlimactic ending too

Berserk2016: RQ at ep 3. I'm not a huge fan of the manga but even I can tell this isn't worth watching. Honestly, the manga's art is just too good to be a standard 12 animated anyway.

LoveLive Sunshine: I actually didn't have much hope for this one. The movie just bored me and that other idol anime disappointed me, the muse-overuse didn't help either. Fast forward a bit and it changed my mind and I started to have more fun. It also gets gayer around the halfway point.

New game: It's New game. ....jokes aside, I liked the new scenes(more Kou x Rin yay!) and they also introduced characters a little earlier. The anime also seems to push Aoba x Hifumi more than the manga.

Show by rock shorts: some shorts are pretty amusing but I'm not sure if I can recommend to someone who's not already a SB69 fan.

arc-v: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO S**t quality!!! And super poly! AND NOOOO ASUKA!!!. Also, lmao. I'm sorry Shun but that was way too funny "Taser" aka new fusion support confirmed

"that scene" is on youtube, watch that if you don't feel like watching the whole thing. I have not re-watched that scene over 20 times I swear!

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

Oddly enough, Yuri visual novels seem to be gaining people's attention, enough to see more coming in the future.

Another Sono Hanabira game is getting officially translated, the New Generation one. And Starlight Vega creators are making another yuri.

Hopefully all of the Sono Hanabira games will be translated officially at some point. And yeah, yuri VNs are getting a bit more focus lately after the english release of the SFW Sono Hanabira prelude game for one of the couples; plus there're other creators making yuri themed works as well such as Winged Cloud which made Sakura Fantasy|Dungeon|Space, all of which are categorized as Yuri games.

And I've heard of that game that the SV creators are making, really hope it does get released, especially with the themes that it is pertaining to.

EDIT:

@MacySan

I just remembered, Harmony is also a pretty good yuri work with mature themes in it, it's a 2 hr long movie.

last edited at Sep 26, 2016 12:15PM

joined Mar 11, 2016

Euphonium very likely is gonna have a hetro ending as often/always happened in kyoani previous works. The movie pretty much established what they gonna aim for in this second season. So better not to get your hopes up folks.

Ange Vierge was a surprise show of this season. I didn't have much expectations of it but it delivered and was better than most of the shows I watched this season. It wasn't amazing but it did justice with its potential. Tho the relationships were a mess in the end it was good in other areas (fight, music, development, animation, dialogue etc).

I am seeing some potential yuri material in this winter season so I am a bit looking forward to it.

Edit: I forgot to ask but is Pripara good on yuri subtext? I just watched a recent episode and it had some yuri moments/vibes.

last edited at Sep 27, 2016 6:09AM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Okay, everything I've been watching ('cept Regalia) has finished, so a rundown:

Sunshine: Pretty good! Like the original but better in almost every way (that way being Nico). And gay. Very gay. If any two character are in the same year, they get subtext (except Yohane and Ruby), with Chika x Riko and Kanan x Mari being standouts in this regard

Qualidea: There's something going on between Hotaru and Maihime, but it doesn't get much focus. Also, the show is mediocre

Macross: The show is... alright? Like, there's the core of something good there, but also major plotting issues. On the yuri front, Makina and Reina stop just barely short of being a confirmed couple, but there's no real focus on them

Also, Regalia's re-aired episodes are improvements but not mandatory viewing. And I got bored with Zestiria

is Pripara good on yuri subtext? I just watched a recent episode and it had some yuri moments/vibes.

I hear there's some? At the very least, the Aikatsu fandom seems to have jumped ship to it

last edited at Sep 27, 2016 6:59AM

joined Mar 11, 2016

Also, Regalia's re-aired episodes are improvements but not mandatory viewing. And I got bored with Zestiria

is Pripara good on yuri subtext? I just watched a recent episode and it had some yuri moments/vibes.

I hear there's some? At the very least, the Aikatsu fandom seems to have jumped ship to it

Hahahah can't really blame you on 'Zestiria'. I just watched it due to lack of good shows and finished it for the sake of finishing it. Didn't get bore but didn't enjoy it either. :/

About Pripara, I wanted to confirm before going ahead with the series to avoid any disappointment if there is no yuri or subtext. Guess I'll watch it myself and decide. Tho in the recent episode (15), the characters are somewhat similar to Mirai and Riko of Mahotsukai and little Garu looks like baby Ha (well not baby exactly) and all three are together. There are other pairs too so I thought there might be some yuri you know. :D

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I like the characters of love live sunshine way more than the original love live. They feel more fleshed out and 3 dimensional than the original love live characters. The plot is not as great and the pacing is wtf though. I think the original love live's story was done a lot better, but sunshine shines better in their slice of life episodes. The group feels more cohesive and believable.

But yeah if you couldn't stand ep 1, then you prob wont enjoy the series, although I thought ep 1 really went all out with the obnoxious comedy. It's a little more toned down in the future eps.

To reply you must either login or sign up.