Forum › Anime season

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Aria AA: It seems Aria will stay at Akari's place on the next episode...can she bring Aria back from the dark side and maybe into her harem? find out next week! most likely no
Also, at this rate, Raika is going to wake up naked in bed with Kirin before the finale.

YY: Sakurako having lesbian dreams XD.

Digimon Tri: I'll be honest...so far I don't hate it but I don't really like it either and hope it get better.

Arc-v: My thoughts exactly Goyo Predator...'what did I just watch?!' dancing Mad Chimera.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Is anyone else watching Onepunch Man? I usually don't like Shounen but the absurdity of the series strangely appeals to me. Plus, Saitama x Genos is totally shippable, heh.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

^Read the manga and just wait for the anime to be finished to start watching. Watched some snippets though, really looking forward to it.

And don't worry, it's a seinen.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

^Read the manga and just wait for the anime to be finished to start watching. Watched some snippets though, really looking forward to it.

And don't worry, it's a seinen.

Oh, I already read through all of the manga. I kinda want to start on the webcomic too but the art's kinda...not good...

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Oh, I already read through all of the manga. I kinda want to start on the webcomic too but the art's kinda...not good...

Haha, yeah, the art is like 50% of why I got into One Punch Man. Most beautiful artwork I've ever seen. I especially like how the manga has better animations than most anime. I mean, just look at it.
LOOK AT IT!

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Norainhere

I kinda want to start on the webcomic too but the art's kinda...not good...

And yet it become popular enough thanks to characters and story alone.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I don't doubt that the webcomic is really good, it's just that there is a better looking version now.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Higurashi excelled in it's writing, not in it's art, not really a new thing

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

You need to forget it. Yumi and Sachiko are dear to each other, close as sisters, but not lovers. It’s a story about this relationship – close as sisters – that is the point of almost every relationship in the series. That is why they are “soeur”.

WHAT!! marimite is not yuri!!!??

last edited at Nov 25, 2015 1:48PM

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

You need to forget it. Yumi and Sachiko are dear to each other, close as sisters, but not lovers. It’s a story about this relationship – close as sisters – that is the point of almost every relationship in the series. That is why they are “soeur”.

Why are people suprised about that? It's class S yuri. That's literally Yuri Bait - The Genre.

last edited at Nov 25, 2015 1:51PM

joined Dec 16, 2013

Hidan no aria aa Aria....

and ass motorboating

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

and ass motorboating

I have a deja vu again.....

last edited at Nov 26, 2015 3:50AM

Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

redpanther, where is that image from?

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

wild guess: cross channel

Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Thanks Maus.

last edited at Nov 26, 2015 7:22PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Although Ga-Rei Zero is yuri the manga end in het right? From what I remember searching Yomi spirit goes inside Kagura and something like that happens with the male mc and his dead friend, and aparenly Kagura end up with him in the ending, I know we already talked about it but I didn't find where...

last edited at Dec 1, 2015 1:16PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Thiaguinho-sama

Although Ga-Rei Zero is yuri the manga end in het right? From what I remember searching Yomi spirit goes inside Kagura and something like that happens with the male mc and his dead friend, and aparenly Kagura end up with him in the ending, I know we already talked about it but I didn't find where...

http://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/6799-ultimate-yuri-anime-list?page=3

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Thanks Nevri.

joined Mar 23, 2013

and ass motorboating

I have a deja vu again.....

That guy's eyes...

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

AHEM

onscreen kissing in my yuru yuri?! .....I mean sure it's in Chitose's mind but no cutaway or anything! I guess they had to keep up? the series with "yuri" on it's name wasn't as gay as VD, Gochiusa or HnA AA...

Speaking of AA...

I thought she was going for Aria's butt on the next scene to be honest...I forgot about the gun thing...oh yeah and plot!

joined Dec 16, 2013

gochiusa more gay than yuru yuri love polygon???? disagree.
and aria butt.

last edited at Dec 13, 2015 2:10PM

Girl%20friends-av
joined Jul 13, 2015

Why are people suprised about that? It's class S yuri. That's literally Yuri Bait - The Genre.

I know this conversation is somewhat old.
But it's the contrary: yuri, in general, isn't about lesbian, and by this, I mean “lesbian” in the LGBT political and social ways like we have in the West.

But the yuri absorbed the lesbian stuffs, not the other way around. And thus Marimite is far more a “traditional yuri” than something like Morinaga's Girl Friends, which is pretty much lesbian.

If you heard the Japenese people behind the yuri, they say something like “yuri is about spiritual connection” or “something between friendship and love”.
In a more western way to say this, yuri is about homosocial bonds between “women” (well, mainly “shōjo”). The homosexuality we can find in the yuri is simply an extension of this homosociality.

That's why in yuri, we have mainly girls (shōjo) and not women, rarely marriage, rarely "I'm a lesbian", next to no LGBT militantism or homophobia. Because yuri isn't about lesbian in the majority of case.

Yuri is a mixture between the homosexual behavior during the pre-Meiji period, female romanticism in the prewar Japan (the “class S”), and more recently the Western-LGBT-lesbian ideology.

So yeah, “lesbian yuri” is a subgenre of yuri, like “class S yuri” is one another, or the recent “soft-yuri”. And personally, I'm glad that yuri isn't about lesbian-only, but is in fact very diverse. And “class S” isn't a bullshit, it was an odd thing born from three different things: the romanticism imported from the West, the patriarchal society who wanted to “preserve” the shōjo in order to have “good wives”, and an act of resistance of those shōjo against the patriarchy, so it's partly feminist and partly patriarchal, like the rest of the “shōjo culture” (Takarazuka, Yaoi…). It's a complex and interesting matter, not “bullshit”.

For those interested by the subject: here a quick read about how yuri is more complex and subtle than just “lesbian”.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

But the yuri absorbed the lesbian stuffs, not the other way around.

Must....resist....Bane Joke....

anyway, pretty much, always bugs me when people recommend me lesbian stories instead of yuri stories

last edited at Dec 13, 2015 9:42AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

That's why in yuri, we have mainly girls (shōjo) and not women, rarely marriage, rarely "I'm a lesbian", next to no LGBT militantism or homophobia. Because yuri isn't about lesbian in the majority of case.

Wait, there's TONS of homophobia in yuri. Why do you think they're always keeping their relationships a secret? Or in some cases the girls getting separated due to being too close? It's the background radiation of the whole genre.

Gotta laugh about the weird image of lesbians in the west though, with all this stuff about "ideology" and "militantism", though. Most lesbians here just go about their lives, just like straight people. What you're probably seeing is a class of people being a bit emboldened by the boot on their neck lifting a little bit. But in Japan, the boot's still there to a great degree, so you gotta be subtle.

Girl%20friends-av
joined Jul 13, 2015

Wait, there's TONS of homophobia in yuri. Why do you think they're always keeping their relationships a secret? Or in some cases the girls getting separated due to being too close? It's the background radiation of the whole genre.

Well, maybe the “next to no homophobia” was too much, as yes, there is many yuri works where the girls keep there relationship secret, but is not "always" either. I don't think there is a dominant trait here, between the “secret”, the “open” or the “not specified” relationship.

Gotta laugh about the weird image of lesbians in the west though, with all this stuff about "ideology" and "militantism", though. Most lesbians here just go about their lives, just like straight people. What you're probably seeing is a class of people being a bit emboldened by the boot on their neck lifting a little bit. But in Japan, the boot's still there to a great degree, so you gotta be subtle.

It's more like there is different definitions of the word “lesbian” and different definitions of the word “yuri”, and the boundaries between those two words are blurred: I tend to think that the concept of “yuri” is larger and encompass the majority (totality?) of the concept “lesbian” (in Japenese context at least).

And yeah, I know that there is a lot of lesbians who simply don't care of any political/social agenda, that's precisely why I've said “I mean “lesbian” in the LGBT political and social ways like we have in the West.“. As I just said, the word “lesbian” has different definitions, form a simply sexual definition to a totally political definition (notably in the Western feminist context), and I'm under the impression that in most case, the general definition is a mixture of both sexual and political.

But why I reacted like this, it was because I'm sick of seeing the class S called things like “bullshit” or “yuri baiting” and compared to the idea of “lesbian until graduation” like in this topic, or even called “homophobic” on other websites.
The class S gives that kinds of impression because of the context where it was born (the patriarchal pre-war Japan) and by the fact it's profoundly intermingle with the idea of “shōjo”, which is mostly considered as a temporary state before adulthood. But today, adult can still be more or less “shōjo” thank to the advancement of the women rights in Japan. And thus the class S is today more open: the main couple in Hanjuku Joshi (I forgot the story of the secondary couple) or the whole idea behind Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter (especially the teachers couple) are heavily influenced by the class S tropes. And I don't think that those works are “yuri baiting”, “homophobic” or limited to the idea of “lesbian until graduation” (quite the contrary in fact).

It's not new: at the golden age of the class S, the novel Yaneura no Nishojo was similar. It's just that, at that time, the censorship made that kind of works more difficult to publish.

To reply you must either login or sign up.