Forum › Salomelic discussion

Aru23
joined Jun 24, 2013

I don't think it's ended just yet, I have faith in Mera so I'll wait and see how this end up being developed.

xxcindybeexx
Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

it feels like a bigger story was compressed into a smaller one, also the "the magic leaves you when you grow old" trope is dumb, mostly due it being freaking magic i find it odd that the mystical powers of the universe just pack up and move out when you go through puberty, i mean i know teenagers can be whiny but jeez

well really it all depends on how the magic works in the first place. for some explanations it's entirely plausible to see it leave in adolescence (note, not simply because they realize they fall in love like this story did, just to point that out). during puberty not just your body is changing but your hormones and energies also. the same channels that a child would use for the energy required to use magic, would then become clogged and used up by your growing sexual energies. for one example anyways. this can also be sidestepped though, by claiming abstinence. would explain why her mom can't and doesn't think she can do magic since well...lol...she certainly doesn't drink from that cup. she'd also have to emotionally distance herself, and refrain from any physical contact to continue being able to use magic, to keep her energy pathways clear for it.

Rosenakahara
Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

it feels like a bigger story was compressed into a smaller one, also the "the magic leaves you when you grow old" trope is dumb, mostly due it being freaking magic i find it odd that the mystical powers of the universe just pack up and move out when you go through puberty, i mean i know teenagers can be whiny but jeez

well really it all depends on how the magic works in the first place. for some explanations it's entirely plausible to see it leave in adolescence (note, not simply because they realize they fall in love like this story did, just to point that out). during puberty not just your body is changing but your hormones and energies also. the same channels that a child would use for the energy required to use magic, would then become clogged and used up by your growing sexual energies. for one example anyways. this can also be sidestepped though, by claiming abstinence. would explain why her mom can't and doesn't think she can do magic since well...lol...she certainly doesn't drink from that cup. she'd also have to emotionally distance herself, and refrain from any physical contact to continue being able to use magic, to keep her energy pathways clear for it.

cough anyway who knows and studies the actual energies in your body knows that is bs cough as your bodies energy is messed about in puberty but not blocked, hell i only studied KI and even i know that much, after puberty is over your energies are mostly affected by negative emotions (stress is a massive KI blocker), and the more positive you are the easier it is to read and control your KI, since love is a positive emotion.........for some reason i REALLY doubt that something as positive as love or simple sexual attraction would cause magic to run away in fear

X
joined Jan 6, 2014

cough anyway who knows and studies the actual energies in your body knows that is bs cough as your bodies energy is messed about in puberty but not blocked, hell i only studied KI and even i know that much, after puberty is over your energies are mostly affected by negative emotions (stress is a massive KI blocker), and the more positive you are the easier it is to read and control your KI, since love is a positive emotion.........for some reason i REALLY doubt that something as positive as love or simple sexual attraction would cause magic to run away in fear

Summary, magic fear love.
So the legend "You can become a wizard if you're a 30 year old virgin" is true.

Rosenakahara
Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Summary, magic fear love.
So the legend "You can become a wizard if you're a 30 year old virgin" is true.

to which i ask: why not become a wizard and then lose your virginity?
seriously though you played that crap too? XD

xxcindybeexx
Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

it's a plausible explanation for something fictional dear, no need to it's impossible in reality!!! it, since magic is as far from reality as you can get =P and it's not the only explanation either, just an example that magic doesn't just, "pack up their bags and leaves." it could be dependent on the open mindset of a child. once doubt enters their mind even the tiniest, their minds are disturbed and unable to perform the magic, which in turn grows larger doubt that turns to certainty. a lot of things in our lives are as we think they are after all. or hell it could even just have a lifespan of its own within the child. once they reach adolescence it starts to die away. and before you say THAT'S dumb and unreal just consider how everything in our bodies have an expiration date. why should magic be any different?

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Is probably nothing but, am I the only one who sees Chapter 4 before Chapter 3 on the series page? Is kind of bugging me.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Is probably nothing but, am I the only one who sees Chapter 4 before Chapter 3 on the series page? Is kind of bugging me.

Not just you, I see it too.
Thanks for pointing it out, fixed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Not just you, I see it too.
Thanks for pointing it out, fixed.

You're welcome!

Rosenakahara
Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

it's a plausible explanation for something fictional dear, no need to it's impossible in reality!!! it, since magic is as far from reality as you can get =P and it's not the only explanation either, just an example that magic doesn't just, "pack up their bags and leaves." it could be dependent on the open mindset of a child. once doubt enters their mind even the tiniest, their minds are disturbed and unable to perform the magic, which in turn grows larger doubt that turns to certainty. a lot of things in our lives are as we think they are after all. or hell it could even just have a lifespan of its own within the child. once they reach adolescence it starts to die away. and before you say THAT'S dumb and unreal just consider how everything in our bodies have an expiration date. why should magic be any different?

yes things do have an expiration date in our bodies..........but the thing is they usually last quite a bit longer than until puberty, at the very least most of them do, and can i remind YOU of something here? magic is not your power, you are just channeling it, magic comes from the planet/universe around you, if it comes from within you then it is not magic it is KI and KI (even fantasy KI projection like in DBZ) cannot create something out of nothing like magic can

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

yes things do have an expiration date in our bodies..........but the thing is they usually last quite a bit longer than until puberty, at the very least most of them do, and can i remind YOU of something here? magic is not your power, you are just channeling it, magic comes from the planet/universe around you, if it comes from within you then it is not magic it is KI and KI (even fantasy KI projection like in DBZ) cannot create something out of nothing like magic can

STOP!!

Magic in stories is whatever the author says it is, you can't just come in and impose your definition "magic comes from..." on it and expect to be taken seriously. It only has to be consistent within the story it's being used for. So your whole magic outside/ki inside thing fails on that basis alone, and that is sufficient. Magic in Salomelic is whatever Mera tells/shows us it is, and if the mother (unreliable narrator that she is) is right, in this world, at least for this family, magic vanishes at puberty and that's how magic works.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

STOP!!

Magic in stories is whatever the author says it is, you can't just come in and impose your definition "magic comes from..." on it and expect to be taken seriously. It only has to be consistent within the story it's being used for. So your whole magic outside/ki inside thing fails on that basis alone, and that is sufficient. Magic in Salomelic is whatever Mera tells/shows us it is, and if the mother (unreliable narrator that she is) is right, in this world, at least for this family, magic vanishes at puberty and that's how magic works.

ugh i will never get why people always defend really stupid plot points, especially considering how unnecessary the drama created from this is.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

STOP!!

ugh i will never get why people always defend really stupid plot points, especially considering how unnecessary the drama created from this is.

It's not that I'm defending a stupid plot point, that's a misplaced assumption on your part. It's entirely possible that the whole thing will fall on its face, although there are also ways a writer can pull off something that sounds dumb at the first so I'm willing to wait and see.

What I'm saying is trying to argue that the "magic cuts out at adolescence" rule in this story (assuming again that the mother's word can be trusted) on the basis that there's some independent, commonly accepted definition of magic that this doesn't work with is an unworkable approach. Because the fact is, magic is a literary device and as such is user-defined and changes from author to author, and even story to story. Arguing against elements as a literary device, sure. You can say it's unsatisfying, or way too convenient, or inconsistent within the narrative, or criticize how Mera pretty much pulled that aspect out of nowhere in this chapter, and that's fair game. But claiming that it's wrong because that's not how magic really works is silly, because magic isn't something that exists outside stories.

I will add here that it seems a little odd to criticize the idea that magical ability cuts out in adolescence when there are lots of stories about magic and similar abilities that kick in upon adolescence. DNAngel springs to mind, as does Strike Witches (although they cut out again after a few more years). It's a pretty common concept.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

STOP!!

It's not that I'm defending a stupid plot point, that's a misplaced assumption on your part. It's entirely possible that the whole thing will fall on its face, although there are also ways a writer can pull off something that sounds dumb at the first so I'm willing to wait and see.

What I'm saying is trying to argue that the "magic cuts out at adolescence" rule in this story (assuming again that the mother's word can be trusted) on the basis that there's some independent, commonly accepted definition of magic that this doesn't work with is an unworkable approach. Because the fact is, magic is a literary device and as such is user-defined and changes from author to author, and even story to story. Arguing against elements as a literary device, sure. You can say it's unsatisfying, or way too convenient, or inconsistent within the narrative, or criticize how Mera pretty much pulled that aspect out of nowhere in this chapter, and that's fair game. But claiming that it's wrong because that's not how magic really works is silly, because magic isn't something that exists outside stories.

I will add here that it seems a little odd to criticize the idea that magical ability cuts out in adolescence when there are lots of stories about magic and similar abilities that kick in upon adolescence. DNAngel springs to mind, as does Strike Witches (although they cut out again after a few more years). It's a pretty common concept.

Ok i can get strike witches but DNAngel was more you being possessed by a dark angel :P
Also can i just argue a small point here: magic is just technology too advanced to understand (unless it is a god given thing), which is why i prefer a clear cut definition, thing is i only buy the "it cuts out after a certain age" thing when its explained WHY that happens, if it is just basic magic with no explanation as to why it cuts out then i am going to call BS

last edited at May 15, 2014 12:49PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Also can i just argue a small point here: magic is just technology too advanced to understand (unless it is a god given thing), which is why i prefer a clear cut definition, thing is i only buy the "it cuts out after a certain age" thing when its explained WHY that happens, if it is just basic magic with no explanation as to why it cuts out then i am going to call BS

Le sigh...

You say "...magic is just technology too advanced to understand..." but that's an individual writer's definition, not a hard and fast or objective one, despite Clarke's many imitators. It has no bearing on Salomelic or any other story that doesn't use Clarke's definition. If Mera says that in the Salomelic world that magic cuts out at puberty, then we have to accept that it does and that's how magic works there. Not explaining why only becomes a problem when "why" is something relevant to the plot. We weren't told why magic in Kiki's Devliery Service cuts out when the user has no self-confidence, but we accept it because it doesn't harm the story. So if it does affect the story here (and it might, too early to say so far) then I'd agree that we need to know. Otherwise, that's just how it is.

Now I will say that I doubt Mera really worked out the mechanics of magic all that much. Fact is, in this story the mechanics aren't that important, not like they are with more adventure-oriented series. Magic here is more of a low-definition plot device, just a way to isolate Salome from her peers and later on question her self-worth. And I'll agree, that's not a tremendously satisfying approach.

Rosenakahara
Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Le sigh...

You say "...magic is just technology too advanced to understand..." but that's an individual writer's definition, not a hard and fast or objective one, despite Clarke's many imitators. It has no bearing on Salomelic or any other story that doesn't use Clarke's definition. If Mera says that in the Salomelic world that magic cuts out at puberty, then we have to accept that it does and that's how magic works there. Not explaining why only becomes a problem when "why" is something relevant to the plot. We weren't told why magic in Kiki's Devliery Service cuts out when the user has no self-confidence, but we accept it because it doesn't harm the story. So if it does affect the story here (and it might, too early to say so far) then I'd agree that we need to know. Otherwise, that's just how it is.

Now I will say that I doubt Mera really worked out the mechanics of magic all that much. Fact is, in this story the mechanics aren't that important, not like they are with more adventure-oriented series. Magic here is more of a low-definition plot device, just a way to isolate Salome from her peers and later on question her self-worth. And I'll agree, that's not a tremendously satisfying approach.

Look i don't really want to argue any-more so can we just agree to disagree?

xxcindybeexx
Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

STOP!!

i was just about to put this thanks!! anything in ANY story is as the writer wants it to be. that's why it's fiction. it has no bearing on how things work in real life. a surprisingly large amount of people i run into don't really get that. although i think until things are further explained in this story (does she really lose it or not in truth?) you can't really say what type of magic she has.

and a side yes it's entirely possible for magic to have such a short lifespan. why couldn't it? only a lack of imagination would say it can't.

Av
joined Nov 12, 2013

I'm with the others who felt this felt rushed.
It either looks like a longer story shortened down, or the author was inventing the story things as she published, without having looked too far on the story. That's just how I feel about this.
Still, the art is very good and I like Salome.

Rsz_1rsz_1rsz_1girls_from_fate_stay_night
joined Aug 30, 2013

I have issue with the character's name, Salome. I can't help it that everytime i see Salome i will think abt salmon or salmonella bacteria or some weird wingy creature with the name salmonelic. It really takes away the cutesy image of Salome. Out of many names this mangaka just had to choose Salome.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I have issue with the character's name, Salome. I can't help it that everytime i see Salome i will think abt salmon or salmonella bacteria or some weird wingy creature with the name salmonelic. It really takes away the cutesy image of Salome. Out of many names this mangaka just had to choose Salome.

That's a weird association, Salome usually is used as an exotic name and one with magical connotations.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Really? I generally think about this sort of thing, which to be fair isn't much like the character in the manga either.

http://jungcurrents.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/bible-salome-moreau.jpg

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

That's a weird association, Salome usually is used as an exotic name and one with magical connotations.

probably because i'm latin (italian) but l liked that name and i didn't find it strange,
it has an exotic feeling because it's a biblic character, i never read the bible but there's an oscar wilde's book

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

probably because i'm latin (italian) but l liked that name and i didn't find it strange,
it has an exotic feeling because it's a biblic character, i never read the bible but there's an oscar wilde's book

And then there's Salome Bey, a Canadian blues singer whose name I heard a lot while growing up.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Oh look this is back..................i don't care.
a lot of yuri has been "meh" recently to me

EDIT: Rushed ending is rushed

last edited at Jun 26, 2014 6:42PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Ending was fine... I suppose...
Overall this felt so compacted, which also made a lot of what was going on forced to be resolved almost instantly.

To reply you must either login or sign up.