Forum › Facing each other a step away discussion

joined Sep 19, 2017

I feel so happy inside for some reason :^)

joined May 30, 2016

It's such a sweet and well-written romance and I enjoyed it. However, if you think about it, even if the characters weren't from touhou it would still work well. I guess it did help a bit since the author didn't have to establish the individual personalities of the characters and dove straight into the conflict.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I wouldn't exactly call it Touhou. Not much is retained of Sakuya and Alice's characters, there's no development for why they like each other. There are traces of Sakuya's airheadedness, which could lead to diminished emotional capability as it does here, but I can't see Alice acting in the way she did. Or why they would like each other.

Nonetheless, canonity aside, it is well-done shoujo ai.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

Nonetheless, canonity aside, it is well-done shoujo ai.

I don't see anything pedophilic about it though.

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

this didn't need to be a touhou doujin but it sure is hella dang good yuri

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

"This is just skinship" got a laugh out of me.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Pretty good, and the art is pretty good too.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

As always Yuuka's the coolest.

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

Turns out high school settings are more palatable when they are AUs.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

As a romance story, this was brilliant, and though I wondered why it needed to be specifically Touhou, I think the emotional attachment I had to the characters as well as my general knowledge of their personalities really elevated this story to a different level. Though I'm not exactly a fan of removing characters from the worlds that have shaped so much of their personalities, this story takes the surface traits of complex characters and places them within different contexts- Sakuya's themes of devotion and loyalty without a clear revelation of her feelings translates wonderfully into an inability to tell whether she's in love, and Alice's fragile, sadly smiling, always-reaching-but-never-connecting persona does convey some parallels to the lonely puppeteer who was once human. This story doesn't have the benefit of Gensokyo to enhance it, but there are also no distractions- quite simply, the author distills these characters to their cores and weaves a tale between them in a neutral location suitably representative of uncertainty in adolescence. Fundamentally, it's the essence of the highschool AU, removing characters from their home setting and using the disconnection felt both by the audiences and the characters as an openly-acknowledged theme and conflict in-story.

Also, the art is brilliant and features Komachi in a suit, automatically making this one of the all-time-greats of doujinshi.

last edited at Dec 25, 2020 10:26AM

Xqbftib1_400x400
joined May 20, 2021

sobs

Screenshot%202021-09-09%2010.07.33%20pm
joined Nov 6, 2021

This was a very cute doujin, though for some reason I feel like it didn't project a somewhat similar of Sakuya image of what I saw in her, but then again being held down by mistress is something that changes people, and this IS a au so 9/10

To reply you must either login or sign up.