Forum › Image Comments

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013
Eojlyv0ucamdlhs-orig

^sure if you browse on a phone- unfortunetly useless for a desktop :(

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013
Untitled-13-recovered

Lol- they are gonna end up with a very strange club!

In a few month they will all either be either growing flowers, or making out in the clubroom i guess?

last edited at Dec 19, 2020 9:07AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013
74734513_p0

@Norainhere same- the left girl especially looks very much like Asami.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013
Borushichi_1336512278317780993

Lol- kinda hard to imagine Patchy being all pervy tbh but not Koa :)

I do wish artists wouldn't keep leaving off her wings tho!

last edited at Dec 19, 2020 6:51AM

__toshinou_kyouko_yuru_yuri_drawn_by_namori__943f8c23512b1acef28d53ce169c5909
joined Apr 24, 2020
Drykl2ou0aardzi-orig

^ THANK YOU!

Also, "disaster-lesbian-epic" is the best description of Starlight I've come across.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016
86057528_p0

I bet mona is just chillin cause she knows the harem ending is in the future

006%20(1)
joined Aug 11, 2019
Drykl2ou0aardzi-orig

^^ I agree with all your points (though can JunNana really be considered newlywed, with Nana looped the year about 5 dozens times and still sticks to Junna? A tad obsessive, imo, but as with Homura, it's its own kind of great). That's why I said it's borderline toxic.

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019
Eoxjbkew8aubkx3-orig

sweet

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Drykl2ou0aardzi-orig

^ JunNana are interesting because they have a dynamic that instantly fits together and is arguably the most domestic in the show- they're not as competitive as MayaKuro, not as naïve as KareHika and not as mature as FutaKao. I call them newlyweds because they're at the arguable peak of their relationship- they've been together for long enough to fall in love with each other, clashed a few times over minor issues (like the Class Rep position), and know exactly what to say in order to support each other. There's no need to dramatically prove their love, and no need to renew it- it's incredibly stable, even within the revues, without the greenness or the rot.

Of course, this is all from Junna's perspective- in Nana's eyes, their relationship is essentially a chemical formula that's painstakingly recreated year over year, with everything measured out and maintained, isolated from new elements. It's a flower in an artificial greenhouse that feeds off itself, blooming without ever creating something new. The newlywed metaphor still works, because Nana is striving to keep them in that ideal space.

Your point about Homura is quite pertinent, because I think Starlight is what you'd call a post-Madoka show, made at a time when brutal deconstructions of optimistic narratives were quite popular. While it's more inspired by Utena in terms of aesthetics, the time-looping and the deal-offering giraffe were anime-original elements specifically meant to evoke Madoka. Nana is quite similar to Homura, Hikari wants to be both Homura and Madoka, and Karen hilariously just goes, "Guys, this isn't Madoka. Can y'all stop being so edgy?". It's basically what you'd get in a universe where Madoka as a show was super-popular and became adapted and imitated across every form of media, butchering and time-looping countless lesbians for tragedy, until a bunch of girls in 2018 took a look at the script and went, "Well, this is nice, but don't you think it's a bit too melodramatic, contrived and edgy for our time? Screw this, let's show all those edgy audiences that a happy ending can be simultaneously more intelligent and more entertaining than a bury-your-gays tragedy." And boy, did it work magnificently.

Also a rather long comment, but I will gush about Starlight till the end of time because it's a masterpiece.

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016
Huh

Crazy pairing. Also, Remilia may be short, but the three fairies are shorter. The sizes are wrong here.

Cat1
joined Jun 19, 2020
Wanpis

^ I do ship Nami/Robin but Robin, to me seems to be asexual~
Can't sink my ship though~

Ell1xznuyaenfja
joined Sep 2, 2019
Eojlyv0ucamdlhs-orig

^this breathtaking art being vertical won't stop me from using it as my pc background. almost all of my recent bg pics are vertical tbh lol

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018
Cnol5zzusaaxunw-orig

^^ Definitely Nico.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018
79169361_p0

Hiladorbs.

Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016
Huh

While working as maids for the Scarlet Devil, the Three Fairies were caught sneaking sweets out of the kitchen by Remilia herself. Contrary to the usual, only Star could not escape her fate, and was promptly punished by the mistress.
Not long after, Sakuya fired them (glaring at one of them in particular).

_b0lrdgy_400x400
joined Mar 28, 2020
Wanpis

Unfortunately yuri one piece ships are very rare but that aside, this picture is 10/10. //

Unnamed
joined Sep 11, 2019
Drykl2ou0aardzi-orig

^Yeah sounds kinda rough to hear that without Kaoruko, Futaba's role would be unfullfilled but i think that Kaoruko more than end like Maya, she would be more arrogant like an "extremist" version of her, it would be certain to say, that maybe nobody could stand her at some point, Futaba is like that part that put her limits in how she behave. In a few words without her she would be like those antagonist helpers that die or become good and after that become irrelevant for the plot. I like how you describe those pairing btw

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013
Eojlyv0ucamdlhs-orig

^I cant stand having a narrow verticle pic with huge borders as a desktop myself. I wish more pics were fit for desktops.

Some that are square can be clipped easily without compromising the good bits, to fit the width- and sometimes you can easily extend the background to make a square image into a widescreen one- when the background is quite simple you can easily copy/paste, and do some simple touch ups to extend it.

images that are tall though like this- its gonna be even smaller and very thin on a desktop- with WAY too much work needed to extend the ocean background to fill the screens width.

I've probably got about 30 or so images i've made suitable for desktop by making them fit.

last edited at Dec 19, 2020 1:00PM

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019
Drykl2ou0aardzi-orig

^^So have we come full circle, deconstructing the deconstructions?
I believe "edginess" to be a fault in the writing rather than something inherent to the genre; PMMM was followed by many copycats that tried to recapture the same aesthetics on a superficial level, but I think the original iteration can still be appreciated in isolation.
Tragedy will always be a relevant genre; at the same time, since its birth society and human relationships have evolved quite a bit. This means that sometimes fictional lesbians might suffer and perish for the sake of artistic expression, but that shouldn't be labeled a case of "bury your gays" without a second thought.
Not trying to criticize anyone here, just voicing my opinion on the use of certain tropes nowadays.

last edited at Dec 19, 2020 11:31AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013
Epcnk0hucaegvdk-orig

If anything... I think Ollie would suit Shion better, if I understand the context of this image properly XP

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019
71119169_p0

Cute

Nishikino-maki-and-ayase-eri-3-love-live-school-idol-project-37571467-350-197(1)
joined Dec 1, 2018
Epb-gzau0ae2c22-orig

Love these two, a Cute pair❤️

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015
Epcnk0hucaegvdk-orig

Kiara's face is my favorite part of this.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017
Epb-gzau0ae2c22-orig

^ Cute pair of cute pairs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Drykl2ou0aardzi-orig

^ Fair point. Although it's worth mentioning that shows that feature magical girls getting hurt, killed and deceived are as old as the genre itself, and Urobuchi's take on magical girls isn't anywhere near as original or groundbreaking as many fans believe (Phantom Thief Jeanne did the 'your familiar is actually evil all along' thing way back in the 90s, and the TV tropes page on Magical Girl Deconstructions lists various other examples that predated Madoka). This, ironically enough, would made Madoka closer to the 'copycats' than the originators (although it's definitely better than some of the shows it inspired). Starlight is less of a deconstruction of a deconstruction and more of a metatheatrical glimpse into the nature of tragic narratives themselves, done from an extremely clever audience-centric perspective that dresses itself up as an allegory.

If you're looking for a 'deconstruction' of Madoka, I'd say Yuki Yuna Is A Hero does an excellent job in more ways than I can describe here, featuring a protagonist whose character arc is the polar opposite of Madoka's- she's a popular, well-adjusted kid who serves as the perfect magical girl and gets the chance to become a god, but hates the prospect of self-sacrifice and ends up just wanting to go home instead of becoming a martyr, along with a Kyubey-parallel that actually undergoes character development to the point where it sacrifices itself to save the magical girls instead of serving as an antagonist.

This topic has been locked.