Forum › Yuri Visual Novel Recommendation Thread

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Akai Ito and Aoi shiro will receive a HD remaster for Switch and PC.
An english language support is planned.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/akai-ito-aoi-shiro-hd-remaster-announced-for-switch-pc

I had just started Aoi shiro. I think I'll put it on hold for a while. The english translation is correct, but to have a translation for the menu and the dictionnary is a good news.

Those are excellent news. After recently finishing Aoi Shiro I am glad to hear Akai Ito will be completely translated as well. I can finally add it to the list once that happens.

For now I added a few more items to the list outside of that.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

So some news. The "Angels" games of the Sonohanabira franchise that have been untranslated have finally gotten their translations recently.
https://stmichaelslobby.wordpress.com/category/complete/

Mind you these are fan translations, but they are extremely competent. You can still buy the games officially and patch them with this as far as I understand, should you wish to support the games.

With this nearly all "A kiss for the petals" games are available in English in some form. The series is both extremely influential and popular (as popular as old yuri VNs can be). I would say it is not wrong to jump into the Angels games on their own, though I am always a supporter of playing a franchise in release order.

Also I am late to the party with this one, but Studio Elan has released the magnificent Please Be Happy a while ago.

Studio Elan of course being the dev team that made Highway Blossoms and Heart of the Woods . Please Be Happy is their most expansive and most high quality VN yet, bar none in my opinion. Especially the writing and voice acting have improved significantly this time around. I would have to make an entire recommendation post of its own to lavish it with all the praise it deserves, but safe to say it is worth the asking pirce. Please consider playing it!
The reason I bring it up right now is that there is a campaign by Studio Elan to fund phyiscal releases of some of their VNs, but it also has stretch goals that are even more interesting.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vnstudioelan/studio-elan-physical-copies-of-our-yuri-visual-novels/description
Take a look for yourself. I am not certain whether the Please Be Happy Poly Route DLC stretch goal is feasible, but every bit helps.

PS: I have added more VNs to the reccomendation list as usual.

last edited at Mar 17, 2023 4:56AM

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned Love Bakudan here yet (unless I missed it somehow).

As far as i can tell from my limited experience with VNs it's a pretty sizable one, with a filled-out cast of interesting (and not to mention hot) characters, all with mutually unique routes. I haven't played all of them but the ones i did I enjoyed a lot. The only thing holding it back for me is that it has no voice acting sadly, but that aside it's pretty great.

It's available on Steam and Itch.io.

Same devs just released their new game called Good Luck Baby! as well, haven't really checked that one out yet though.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned Love Bakudan here yet (unless I missed it somehow).

Indie games often do fly under the radar unfortunately. It looks interesting enough.
I feel slightly ashamed of how little I truly dive through Itch.io to find content. There have been a couple of Indie VNs there I have been putting on my list, though without the time to really read them all yet.

Same devs just released their new game called Good Luck Baby! as well, haven't really checked that one out yet though.

This one on the other hand I have just put on the recommendation list actually. I found the premise intriguing and seeing that they made Bakudan I can tell the vast improvement between releases.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

With this nearly all "A kiss for the petals" games are available in English in some form. The series is both extremely influential and popular (as popular as old yuri VNs can be). I would say it is not wrong to jump into the Angels games on their own, though I am always a supporter of playing a franchise in release order.

The same group that did Angels finished up Snow White's Knight so the only thing untranslated at this point is the last New Generation entry. I'm not necessarily fond of release order for Sono Hanabira but if you do want to start from the early doujin games a Polish group (Nyan) is remaking them in Ren'Py. They've done the first 7 games at this point.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Aoishiro and Akai Ito have now come out on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2097740/AKAIITO_HD_REMASTER/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2097750/AOISHIRO_HD_REMASTER/

Unfortunately I have bad news. The translations are very amateurish. Akaiito is somewhat more competent, but the translation is very basic and does not convey the writing style of the original at all.
Aoishiro is an unsalvagable mess that fails to translate half the lines properly, reads terribly even on its own and both of them have formating issues at that.

As sad as it is to say this... I do not recommend buying these VNs unless you can play the JP version. If you absolutely want to though, then I suggest waiting until Akaiito's resolution issues are solved (it can only be displayed at 1080p which causes issues on almost any modern PC). It is at least not inaccurate as far as the content of the translations goes.
And then play the fan translation of Aoishiro. Perhaps there is a way to patch it over the HD remaster eventually.

last edited at May 25, 2023 10:27PM

joined Mar 13, 2023

I Want Class Zenin Maji De Yuri

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Can I assume that you "want" it added to the list? In that case I would refer you to the opening post again, in which I stated that I would like to only put VNs with English translations on the recommendation list. Of course there is nothing wrong with discussing untranslated works too. Perhaps if there is a sizable enough group of people who are interested in Japanese recommendations I could create a new section for it...

Incidentally I did play MajiYuri myself. I used a translation tool however, because I am utterly hopeless with kanji. The game is rather unabashedly base and leans completely into its eroge content, but it has some unique pros that can't be ignored.

Pros:
1. It is a yuri harem VN, which is exceedingly rare for the genre. It gets bonus points for the fact that you can get many different ending combinations as well depending on your affection levels with the cast.
2. There is plenty of casual fun content too and the cast is very large, allowing for many different experiences in multiple playthroughs.
3. A very proactive protagonist. In fact she sets out with the explicit desire to create a "boob harem" for herself from the beginning. It is... fascinating how she manages to trick or convince girls to have sex with her. It nearly defies common sense, but that's an eroge for you.

Cons:
1.Ironically the first con is the fact that there is a lot of non-con content in this contingent of- Ahem. Some situations, especially with the principal are really revolting. If it weren't yuri this would certainly be an absolute no-go.
2. The sigh "mysterious white fluid" button. Reprehensible and gratuitous in every way, just not the good type. This is the major reason the game is looked down upon in most yuri communities. Catering to male players this absurdly and disgustingly is just a step too far. Thankfully it is entirely optional.

last edited at May 26, 2023 10:14AM

BlackPaladin
joined Mar 13, 2023

Can I assume that you "want" it added to the list? In that case I would refer you to the opening post again, in which I stated that I would like to only put VNs with English translations on the recommendation list. Of course there is nothing wrong with discussing untranslated works too. Perhaps if there is a sizable enough group of people who are interested in Japanese recommendations I could create a new section for it...

Incidentally I did play MajiYuri myself. I used a translation tool however, because I am utterly hopeless with kanji. The game is rather unabashedly base and leans completely into its eroge content, but it has some unique pros that can't be ignored.

Pros:
1. It is a yuri harem VN, which is exceedingly rare for the genre. It gets bonus points for the fact that you can get many different ending combinations as well depending on your affection levels with the cast.
2. There is plenty of casual fun content too and the cast is very large, allowing for many different experiences in multiple playthroughs.
3. A very proactive protagonist. In fact she sets out with the explicit desire to create a "boob harem" for herself from the beginning. It is... fascinating how she manages to trick or convince girls to have sex with her. It nearly defies common sense, but that's an eroge for you.

Cons:
1.Ironically the first con is the fact that there is a lot of non-con content in this contingent of- Ahem. Some situations, especially with the principal are really revolting. If it weren't yuri this would certainly be an absolute no-go.
2. The sigh "mysterious white fluid" button. Reprehensible and gratuitous in every way, just not the good type. This is the major reason the game is looked down upon in most yuri communities. Catering to male players this absurdly and disgustingly is just a step too far. Thankfully it is entirely optional.

Ah, Sorry!

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

I would like to take one post here to talk about a game recently released which may not entirely apply to the thread's topic. Raising sims are not strictly speaking Visual Novels. I know this well. But... I find the overlap with such extended segments where most things are conveyed in a visual novel style to be enough of a link to recommend them anyway. As the Games with selectable yuri content section in the opening post shows, I have added a couple of such games that tread the line. All this is to say, I apologize for abusing my own thread to promote a game I like so frivolously.

The game in question is called

Volcano Princess

Synopsis: Volcano Princess is a game about a single father raising his daughter until adulthood in a fantasy kingdom. While you take the role of the father, you also take the role of the daughter during the day and interact with the world through her, making it an usual style of raising sim where you control both the parent and daughter and your actions with each affect the other.

The story mainly focuses on raising your daughter (the default name is Rose) into a splendid adult. However there are many mysteries in the world and unexpected connections between characters and while Rose can learn any manner of professions or romance whoever she wants, there is a core truth in the background that begs to be uncovered.

After growing up to teenage age Rose will enroll at a knight academy and train/study to be a knight. During these academic years she chooses her true path in life and is confronted with changes to the kingdom that affect the entire populace. There is a "great degeneration" happening by which people change physically in a variety of ways and the nearby magical forest is overrun by demons, led by the mysterious "Owl Princess".

Can you obtain the game's True Ending? Which is also compatible with almost every profession and romance ending? The true test awaits!

Duration? One playthrough depending on how thorough one might be or how many things one tries to accomplish can be anywhere from 10-20 hours.
It's just that kind of detailed game. Overall the game is divided into ~40 "turns" which represent a month each. Depending on the events of that month there may be more or less to do, meaning it is hard to gauge how much time it will take. As there is only the option to save at the start of a turn there may be a lot of reloading happening for people who like to change their choices quickly, leading to a lot of extra play time.

Gameplay?
Following a prologue like tutorial section with toddler Rose the game truly begins when she turns 12 years old after a time skip. From here on the first decision to make is which house she will join at the knight academy.

Three houses that focus on three different playstyles and all the acitvities associated with it. Fulfilling knight tasks earns money and fame and is sort of a sub-goal. Raising the knight rank higher will also enable new profession endings, but I digress. The three heads of the houses (the strongest knight Lebsa, the princess Gwyneth and the principal Claude) are all only consistently interactable with when picking their house, so choose wisely (or just have many playthroughs as the game encourages).

After picking your house the gameplay loop will consist of interactions between father and daughter at the house, exploring the world as Rose, doing all kinds of activities and then when all stamina has been used up returning home to select the curriculum at the academy Rose will engage with. Through all this you raise Rose's stats, make her connect with characters and earn exp and gear for battle.

What stands out the most about the game is of course the incredible variety of things one can focus on. There is just too much to do for one playthrough, so one can dabble in a little bit of everything or put hard focus on specific things, like performing at the theater as an actress to gain money and fame, attend balls with nobility to gain influence or to go hunting demons in the forest with a party of your friends.

The best part of the game is of course its replay value. The more things Rose accomplishes, the more achievements she gets and the more bonus points you will obtain for the NG+ shop. This will enable one to boost stats, gain items or affection levels before starting a new run (can be turned on or off naturally). So striving for more extravagent professions or romance endings is encouraged.

Another interesting aspect are the annual festivals (two different ones) which feature more mini-games or tournaments which show your pogression very well. Getting first place in any of them is not easy. From a fighting tournament to a debate showdown and a dancing competition, your Rose really has to give it her all to be number one in the Volcano Kingdom and gain awesome prizes.

Every ending profession has certain requirements which are either based on stats or activities. These range from simple stat levels to having a level of affection with a certain character to the level of darkness your daughter is at (by neglecting your daughter or letting her deal with the more evil aspects of the world she gains darkness). The requirements for professions can be seen in the ending gallery after beating the game once.

As everyone can tell by now the game has a gorgeous and charming artstyle and is filled to the brim with CGs. Almost every action, activity and event is expressed through art directly instead of simple number screens like in the majority of raising sims. This love for details also extends to items, monsters and collectibles. Rose can obtain a dozen different outfits which alter her appearance and stats and they all look lovely. There is some light animation at play for certain sprites and minigames.

And then finally we have the romance, which is of course the most important part!

Yuri? Volcano Princess has a sizable cast and each and every character with an affection bar can either be romanced or leads to a romance ending involving their family.
Yes, this includes all the female characters. While it is obviously not a pure yuri game and perhaps leans a bit more towards heterosexual pairings, there are plenty of great sapphic choices for Rose. Marriage between women is a complete non-issue. It is entirely possible to have half a dozen completely different playthroughs and romance a different girl each time. As of the latest patch there are even two yuri polyamory endings.

The romance interests are:
Princess Gwyneth: A serious and regal young woman who strives to protect her kingdom from demons and all that she considers evil. She has a pragmatic and somewhat violent worldview, but also puts much import on ettiquette and self-expression. The king has offered her hand in marriage to anyone able to slay the Owl Princess, though her own thoughts on that engagement are not quite clear. She is propped up to be the next queen as her younger brother is unfit for the position due to his mental condition. Her interest in Rose rises the more competent of a knight she becomes until perhaps love blooms between the princess and her charge...

Nina, the best friend: Nina is the youngest daughter of the most influential noble family in the kingdom, the Handel family. She is the same age as Rose and hits it off with her right away, becoming best friends and enrolling at the academy together. She is very devout in the Volcano Goddess religion and also has a deep interest in divination. She is both smart and a bit flirty (only with Rose). A major struggle for her is avoiding getting married off to some nobleman by her family, but she is determined to choose her own fate. Perhaps the one who she truly wants to be with was at her side all along...

Mona, the restaurant owner: Mona is a cheerful and ambitious woman who owns the local inn that is frequented by pretty much everyone, including the princess herself. She inherited from her mother who has a not so subtle connection to the Handel family, which makes her very close to Nina (they treat each other as sisters). While Mona is a bit older than both Rose and Nina, she has the spirit to keep up with these younger girls and dabbles both in combat/exploration and culinary improvement at all times. She is the only female friend you can take to the dungeon outside of Nina. Her happy-go-lucky attitude belies her heavy burdens in life, but perhaps the young girl who has always been at her side during those years can give her support...

Lebsa, the strongest knight: A mysterious swordswoman who was the apprentice of the most renown hero and demon hunter Asbel. She was taken in by the Handel family at a young age and immediately rose up to be the leading knight and a Lord. She is carefree and wild, never letting duty or rules hold her down. She lives life to the fullest both in private and on the job. When she isn't avoiding a meeting to go hiking or hunting, she will attend banquets and enjoy a drink. Her free-spirited nature gets her into a lot of trouble and her obssession with being the strongest and slaying the Owl Princess make her unpredictable. But perhaps a knight trainee who shows aptitude can catch her ever hidden eye...

Connie, the nun: A devout woman from noble upbringing who decided to devote herself to helping people in need. She values the teachings of the goddess, but has more practical views on the world at large. Her support of orphans and the poor leads her to dream of building an orphanage one day. A charming commoner girl who shows compassion and initiative may be able to make her cross the line that the faith may consider inappropiate...

Rebecca, the seamstress: She is a woman with some life experience, but still a rather naieve and hopeful outlook on the world. Her dresses are the best in the kingdom and she loves using beauitful people as her models to try them out. She is a kind-hearted lady who is always polite and energetic at the center of the merchant street. Though she had given up on love due to her past, the most charming beauty with the friendliest words may still capture her heart yet...

Mary, the bathouse owner: A middle-aged commoner lady with a knack for business and a hardy constitution who runs the bathhouse like her own little kingdom, while never losing her sense of fun. She loves drinking and is not shy about sharing her interests even with young impressionable girls, but she has a heart of gold. The more one talks to her the more hidden facettes she reveals. It seems that there is nothing she can't do when she sets her mind on it. Perhaps that includes a wonderful age gap romance with a bold and daring maiden...

Whichever lady you pick (or perhaps two at times), they all make wonderful partners. Perhaps you do not like large age gaps or maybe you are strongly monogamous... it's all up to you! The most interesting part is that nearly any profession ending is compatible with any romance ending, meaning that you can create the most fascinating headcanons of Rose's turbulent adult life. She may be a demon slayer during the day, but at night she becomes a tender lover to her wife. Maybe she is a wandering bard, yet after every journey she returns to her girlfriend, the literal queen of the kingdom? Possibilities are endless.

Version? Volcano Princess gets very regular updates since release. The devs are clearly invested in this passion project (all the more impressive as they are just two women doing all the work!). A lot of the patches simply fix bugs or improve the translation (the original is Chinese), but a lot of them also added quality of life updates and more content.
The biggest major release at the time of writing this was Version 2.0 which added amongst many things another yuri poly ending. So always play the latest version, alright?

Sexual Content? None, although the game is not shy about acknowleding such things either. They just don't happen on screen. There is an ending where Rose and her wife have a science/magic baby even. Regardless, no sexual content. The Owl Princess doesn't like wearing clothes, but her body is tastefully featureless.

Recommended?
I dare say this overly long post speaks volumes of my thoughts on that. Volcano Princess is the best raising sim ever made. Period. And it has enough yuri to completely satisfy anyone without forcing any het content on the player (beyond the fact that you are a father who also had a wife once). It may simply be the most charming game I have played in a long time and my game of the year without a doubt. Investing 100 hours into it to get almost everything done (except the romance endings with the male love interests) was 100% worth it.
The game is available on Steam for very little money. The content/price balance is incredible.

last edited at Jun 13, 2023 3:05AM

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

Lovely recommendation!

I wanna try it already, but my laptop "apparently" had some issues with steam recently so I'll have to wait for a while...

already put it in my wishlist and will keep my eye on it tho~

beyond the fact that you are a father who also had a wife once

do any raising sim ever give you the chance of being a mother? I am curious how often the gender of the parent matters, if at all, in this kind of game

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

do any raising sim ever give you the chance of being a mother? I am curious how often the gender of the parent matters, if at all, in this kind of game

They do but you're a straight mom raising a son.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Lovely recommendation!

I wanna try it already, but my laptop "apparently" had some issues with steam recently so I'll have to wait for a while...

already put it in my wishlist and will keep my eye on it tho~

Far be it from me to encourage piracy, but if it is only a temporary measure until official means become available to you, then I will say that there are other ways to get the game.

beyond the fact that you are a father who also had a wife once

I cannot think of any raising sim with a playable mother actually. Then again I haven't played many beyond the classics like Princess Maker (which this game is very inspired by) and Long Live the Queen.

Cute Bite is a very special vampire raising sim which I also have on the recommendation list though, in which you play the female servant of the young vampire lady and raise her to return to her adult form and power. She can take any role depending on how things turn out, from mother figure to lover.

However, Volcano Princess has a good reason for why you play as the father and not the mother, which is tied to its story, so I cannot actually go into it. Safe to say though that the parents could not be interchanged to achieve the same result.

last edited at Jun 10, 2023 1:01PM

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Good news everyone!
As mentioned before the Akaiito and Aoishiro remasters were both rather lacking due to the subpar translations. There were also the resolution issues that made the game crash or impossible to read.

Well, I was just given a link to a fix where both games are patched with the fan translations. While everyone probably is aware of the Aoishiro translation, some may not know that the Akaiito translation project was actually 90% finished before it was dropped. This patch will overwrite the official translation with the fan patch in all parts that were completed and will leave the rest to the official one. The Aoishiro one on the other hand is of course complete and will replace the horrible machine tanslation of the official release.

https://rentry.org/akaiito
Akai Ito Zohar's translation
The original fan translation, adapted to the Remaster.
This translation was never fully completed -- most of
Sakuya's route and some of the endings are untranslated.
Any missing content was replaced by the Remaster's translation.
https://files.catbox.moe/7wl64t.zip - [19/06/2023]

Akai Ito 1366x768 resolution patch
The Remaster expects your screen to be 1920x1080.
This patch lowers it to 1366x768 and scales some
of the interface according to that resolution.
It might not work on smaller resolutions.
https://files.catbox.moe/4f3etb.zip

Aoi Shiro Wings of Yuri translation
The original fan translation, adapted to the Remaster.
https://files.catbox.moe/icqog2.zip - [19/06/2023]

Aoi Shiro 1366x768 resolution patch
See above
https://files.catbox.moe/0ti8oa.zip

Credit goes to an anon on 4chan apparently. I am sorry that I can't thank them personally, but that is the nature of anonymous boards I suppose. Keep in mind that this probably has not been tested by a large pool of users and may have a few issues that have not been discovered yet. Always keep a backup of the original files.

last edited at Jun 20, 2023 9:18AM

joined Jun 21, 2021

I just finished the last Flowers game after spending the last week or so binge playing them all for the first time and. Woof. What a ride. I laughed, i cried, I yelled at the screen in frustration, and i loved every second of it!

The whole cast was great but by far my favorite character was Erika. Her personality, the growth she goes through, everything. I love her so much T.T

And now that it's over there's nowhere for these feelings to goooo

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

I just finished the last Flowers game after spending the last week or so binge playing them all for the first time and. Woof. What a ride. I laughed, i cried, I yelled at the screen in frustration, and i loved every second of it!

You binged them in a week?! Skipping that much sleep sounds unhealthy! Even I took around a month to finish the three volumes that were out at the time. I do think playing them all in succession (with some healthy breaks) is best actually, as it lets you vividly remember all the details and catch even the smallest references and parallels in each successive release.

And now that it's over there's nowhere for these feelings to goooo

There are some drama CDs with extra content, but I have only found sparse translations for those. It is worth looking into if you are not sated just yet. There was also the artbook/compendium with extra information that was mentioned a couple of pages back. It seems to contain even vital information that would have been better off included in the actual VNs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XKtPmodBvA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNcQfkf0te4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qxpj80W2sM
This Youtuber went above and beyond to even recreate some of the drama CD scenes with the sprites and text boxes. This should be a treat for everyone who has or hasn't listened to them before (I picked the only 3 videos on that channel that matter, the rest is not relevant)

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I just finished the last Flowers game

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the physical release that should have been out already at the end of last year, but somehow still isn't...

joined Jun 21, 2021

You binged them in a week?! Skipping that much sleep sounds unhealthy! Even I took around a month to finish the three volumes that were out at the time. I do think playing them all in succession (with some healthy breaks) is best actually, as it lets you vividly remember all the details and catch even the smallest references and parallels in each successive release.

There are some drama CDs with extra content, but I have only found sparse translations for those. It is worth looking into if you are not sated just yet. There was also the artbook/compendium with extra information that was mentioned a couple of pages back. It seems to contain even vital information that would have been better off included in the actual VNs.

It's fine, this is one of the few benefits of having sleep disorders and literally no sleep schedule, it let's you binge a lotta shit in a short amount of time xD

Yeee i did look into the drama CDs and stuff, it's unfortunate that there are no proper releases for them though :/ Would love it if they got released as picture dramas at some point or smth. At the very least i got to read some of the Flowers 20 stuff on the Wiki and the pages of translators~

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Re: the post about Volcano Princess...
You forgot to mention the fact that Mona and Gwyneth are friends. I was very pleasantly surprised by certain developments in that regard.
Also, I feel like while there are more het options, the game expects the player to match Rose and Nina on the first playthrough. Until you get used to the game's mechanics, Nina is the most reliable party member. She's also the first party member (aka romance target) you interact with and has the most events you're forced to see. Also she's cute. Also the moe of the fact that she stays short but Rose, who started out much smaller than the comparatively more ikemen Nina, ends up a fair amount taller.

By the way, Mona is the absolute best party member due to her tier 3 skill, meaning the ideal party composition in most cases is just The Girls. lol

Also, I went for a poly het ending twice because I was praying it'd be like the yuri one I got before and I could create boys kissing boys, just for giggles. Unfortunately this didn't work out. God hates me.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

@Iuinthoron

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the physical release that should have been out already at the end of last year, but somehow still isn't...

I hope you do not make your playthrough dependent on that physical release. I fear you may never play the game then. My advice is to play the digital release and then play the physical release again. Any excuse to replay these phenomenal novels is good!

@Giftnova

It's fine, this is one of the few benefits of having sleep disorders and literally no sleep schedule, it let's you binge a lotta shit in a short amount of time xD

That sounds... awful. My condolences. I have a friend with very strong insomnia, so I know the trial and tribulations through osmosis. I can't imagine sleep deprivation enhanced the experience, but it's good that you take it in stride.

@Yasako

Re: the post about Volcano Princess...
You forgot to mention the fact that Mona and Gwyneth are friends. I was very pleasantly surprised by certain developments in that regard.

I tried to be very brief with my post as you can surely tell (hahaha), but yes, there are infinite details I have not elaborated on. It was just a recommendation post. I can talk about this game for eternity to be honest~
However, I agree on Gwyneth and Mona. That poly ending is my favorite in the game right now.

Also, I feel like while there are more het options, the game expects the player to match Rose and Nina on the first playthrough. Until you get used to the game's mechanics, Nina is the most reliable party member. She's also the first party member (aka romance target) you interact with and has the most events you're forced to see. Also she's cute. Also the moe of the fact that she stays short but Rose, who started out much smaller than the comparatively more ikemen Nina, ends up a fair amount taller.

I cannot say whether that was the intention by the devs, but Nina has a very strong presence unlike most of the other female love interests, that is for certain. She has to do the heavy lifting in all the school events too. She is the only girl you can dance with during the school festivals and the like. And she is so very charmingly confident about it too.

(though I would not call her ikemen per se (not just because I dislike using that term on girls))

Speaking of Rose growing, the events where she grows taller seem to differ sometimes for reasons I do not know. My Rose has had different heights in different playthroughs. It's a true mystery to me.

As for the game giving some more weight to yuri options, if Nina is the starter pack of love interests, then Lebsa is certainly the final boss of love interests (heh). Her plot related involvement and special ending conditions make her stand out the most by far. After all there is no other love interest who is affected by the True Ending.

By the way, Mona is the absolute best party member due to her tier 3 skill, meaning the ideal party composition in most cases is just The Girls. lol

Nina's healing is certainly a good reason to take her along early on, though I feel Ze's petrification shot is just far better than a heal. Mona is very strong, no denying that. I still think Rose's third skill (pick Sunbird) is the most OP in the game and honestly makes it very easy for her to solo dungeons.

Also, I went for a poly het ending twice because I was praying it'd be like the yuri one I got before and I could create boys kissing boys, just for giggles. Unfortunately this didn't work out. God hates me.

It's amusing you thought a reverse harem would give you BL, but thankfully I tend to avoid either, so I did not have to live with that disappointment haha (no denying that some of those poly endings specifically exist for the fujoshi crowd to fantasize though).
The only het poly ending I forced myself to go through is the Gwyneth and Kenneth sibling poly route. There is no way I would not get a romance ending involving Gwyneth and I perceive Ken more like... a harmless pet that comes as a set with his sister. It was a cute ending. It also helped that I got it during my Volcano Queen profession ending. It just made so much sense!

last edited at Jun 28, 2023 1:41AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

@Iuinthoron

I hope you do not make your playthrough dependent on that physical release. I fear you may never play the game then. My advice is to play the digital release and then play the physical release again. Any excuse to replay these phenomenal novels is good!

As good as this series is, I'm not going to pay for it twice.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

As good as this series is, I'm not going to pay for it twice.

While I strongly disagree... Who said anything about paying twice?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^ A fair point. :D

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

@Licentious Lantern
I was planning on 100% completion anyway, so I'm gonna end up seeing the het endings anyway. I'm not really bothered by het if it's a towards anything resembling a female player surrogate since I can just detach. Same with BL - there's detachment. If I see het on what would otherwise be a perfectly good girl who kisses girls it's annoying and frustrating though. Gwyneth+Kenneth is nice in that regard since, you know, Gwyneth ain't gonna kiss her little brother.
It was just... so sad that I couldn't reduce the het ratio even a little bit in the het endings. The Zee + Hackett ending was truly awful - they fight over Rose. Like, what are you doing? That's the entire opposite reason of why you would go for poly, practically speaking?

I wish the NPC/villager romance endings had more content. Rebecca is sooooo cute. I had to turn off the part of my brain that remembered her age (I wouldn't have had to if she only joined the town when Rose hit 15 or if she was even two years younger though rip) but she's still so sweet with Rose.

Re: ikemen Nina, I personally apply a separate standard for ikemen between the binary genders, although the "male ikemen" is still mostly predicated on confidence, reliability, and some amount of androgyny. You'd think Nina fails in the androgyny metric, but she has a mullet, so like, even applying the male standards, she passes, if barely.

last edited at Jun 28, 2023 10:21AM

joined Jun 12, 2015

Finished Flowers series.
-printemps- 7/10
-ete- 8/10
-automne 6+/10
-hiver- 6/10
Yeah, the grande finale was disappointing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.