Forum › The Gyaru is Curious About the Otaku discussion

_______%20(12)
joined Feb 18, 2018

goddamit this is not the ending I EXpected,,,

joined Nov 9, 2020

Seems like the Otaku just used her (like she said, for her pretty face). So there was no hope to begin with. Meh.

idk dude, that gyaru snatch her paper and called her work as "creepy manga", that won't leave a good impression i guess.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Sometimes one-shot manga depicts only a brief moment, and doesn't lead to romance. Why is that such a big problem? I think this was pretty good.

joined May 11, 2014

On one hand it would be cool in an id-driven way if it continued, on the other hand the frustration is probably the point

Mugiscale
joined Feb 11, 2019

can we add a depression tag?

joined Jun 13, 2021

Gosh need continuation

LionTrainer1
50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

That sucks!

Steam-community-screenshot-dream-team-demon,-witch-
joined Nov 15, 2016

There's gotta be more, right?

joined Feb 3, 2019

Motherfucking author just did a meta

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

i tried digging the author's pixiv and twt and i think there was a continuation of this. it's "The OL is curious about the otaku"

hope it gets translated
hope it gets translated

last edited at Aug 28, 2021 3:31PM

joined Aug 21, 2017

i tried digging the author's pixiv and twt and i think there was a continuation of this. it's "The OL is curious about the otaku"

hope it gets translated

I hope so too, thanks for finding it.

joined Jun 30, 2017

I'm honestly a bit confused by how many people here act like the gyaru was in the wrong. Literally the worst thing she did was snatch away the otaku's drawings and give them back immediately. I mean sure, she called them creepy, but objectively, it is creepy to draw yuri manga about your classmates (or using their appearance). It's the otaku who is to blame for this outcome: she's the one who made a nasty, prejudiced call about the gyaru and shot her down when she was trying to establish a rapport.

last edited at Sep 1, 2021 2:19AM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

whatever42 posted:

I'm honestly a bit confused by how many people here act like the gyaru was in the wrong. Literally the worst thing she did was snatch away the otaku's drawings and give them back immediately. I mean sure, she called them creepy, but objectively, it is creepy to draw yuri manga about your classmates (or using their appearance). It's the otaku who is to blame for this outcome: she's the one who made a nasty, prejudiced call about the gyaru and shot her down when she was trying to establish a rapport.

She didn't give them back, the otaku took them back from her. She went off and got annoyed on her own, choosing to (at best) tease someone she didn't know, and then got angry when her target fought back. She clearly didn't care that the manga was of her, or that it was yuri. She was just saying whatever she thought would hurt the otaku the most. If one wishes to not be "in the wrong," they ought to at least make some effort to not inflame a situation first. Gyaru failed that metric.

When they have their later argument the otaku says, "That makes two of us." I don't think it's much of a stretch to read this as, "You picked on me because you thought you could." She's right, isn't she? Mere annoyance isn't enough to aggressively violate a classmate's personal space and possessions, one would surely be measuring the power gap before doing so.

Both parties here made some mistakes.

joined Jun 20, 2021

hope it gets translated
hope it gets translated

Please, if you still remember, share the link.

Edit: Found it. It’s just a Twitter post with the picture. No idea where the rest is. https://twitter.com/akiyamabc/status/1403672763647156227?s=21

last edited at Nov 18, 2021 9:22PM

joined Apr 13, 2014

yeahkeen posted:

hope it gets translated

Please, if you still remember, share the link.

Edit: Found it. It’s just a Twitter post with the picture. No idea where the rest is. https://twitter.com/akiyamabc/status/1403672763647156227?s=21

Just checked out the anthology and the last chapter is the continuation.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0962Z126S
Here's a summary for anyone interested:
Seems to happen relatively soon after the ending scene of the first part.

It's winter time. Gyaru's kinda mad/sulky after Otaku says she's not continuing that one original yuri manga, and swears off checking her account (which she'd been religiously keeping up with up to that point.)

Suddenly she's met with posters advertising Otaku's latest work, an incredibly popular shoujo manga which is getting a big screen adaptation. Seems like at some point after the first story Otaku just completely stopped drawing yuri.

The two have a chance meeting in a cake shop. It's a bit awkward, with Otaku barely remembering Gyaru without her iconic twintails, and Gyaru going "your latest manga was really good!!" which gets a kinda nice surprised reaction out of Otaku before she backpedals a bit with "-is what a coworker told me."

Otaku says that if she's cool with it, Gyaru should read it too.

Gyaru stumbles over herself with all the things she wants to say. That actually, she's been following her since her Yuri days. That she's bought all her doujin. That she's gotten all the magazines she's been featured in. That she knows how much better she's gotten at drawing. That she wishes she would still draw yuri. Remembering their first meeting, she tries to apologize, before being interrupted by Otaku's (male) assistant/editor.

They part ways, and Gyaru sulks as she's on her way back home. What, exactly, it is that she wanted? She started hating Otaku all by herself, became regretful all by herself, and got frustrated all by herself. She ends up berating herself for thinking that maybe they'd start getting along just because they had a chance encounter.

We skip to spring time now. There's an ad of the same shoujo manga, this time being turned into a TV drama. We see Gyaru, with a haircut, as she notices the poster. Thinking about Otaku still makes her feel annoyed and regretful, but at the same time, she thinks to herself that she doesn't want to stay this way. This hopeless. She gets home and opens Otaku's twitter, and there, at the top of her timeline, there's a new drawing. The two yuri characters from that one manga she drew in high school, all those years ago, captioned: "Some nostalgic characters"

And then it ends, lol. Not quite fulfilling for those who wanted to see them together, but definitely a bit more hopeful than the first ending :p

last edited at Dec 6, 2021 1:22AM

Screenshot_39
joined Apr 17, 2017

Ughgh- sobs Please come back together!

To reply you must either login or sign up.