Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

Here's Ultimate Kako. Can any (magical) girl resist her harem powers?

Even Madoka can't resist Kako's harem powers

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

How well a girl fights and how little they hesitate are constant issues that do come up, do note that Homura doesn't get any more powerful(not until Wraith Arc, at least), but she clearly improves how she fights a lot that she goes from the weakest of the holy quintet, to arguably the strongest short of Madoka's insane power and potential, and definitely tied with Mami for the best fighter of the five.

But that's the meguca life reality, you either learn to fight, or you fail to fight, and get killed or Witch out, it is a very harsh life that a bunch of kids get shoved into without realizing the full extent of what it means.

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

I guess that's another plus of the doppel system- the ability the live a relatively speaking normal life without having to worry about fighting monsters or becoming a monster themselves. I think that's why a lot of the Wings of Magius (Mifuyu included) joined the group.

Of course what would be better if there was a way to reverse the magical girl transformation and change back permanently into normal non-magical girl. In that way I suppose Homura's view (I hope I got this right) in Rebellion sort of made sense.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

In 10-4-1, I don't get why they translated Rika and Ren's lines towards Hinano differently, when they both call her "Miyako-senpai". They've also never bothered to translate honorifics before, so it's strange they suddenly use "senpai".

Minor personal gripes aside, so much for Alina not being completely deranged. I'm not even going to bother trying to go into that mess with the Fur God Uwasa right now because I haven't figured out why they felt it was necessary to include. Stuck on 10-4-2, so going to revisit that fight tomorrow.

it doesn't make using rumors to lure in muggles or attacking and trying to kill fellow magical girls okay just because they want to "save" them by using the Doppel system- which of course only extends to Kamihama and not the rest of the world meaning any magical girl outside the city is still screwed since no doppels and no hope for salvation from an external force (Ultimate Madoka).

Quick note on this, that's the exact plot point all of the Magius's promises lie on. The purpose of all this energy they were trying to get from Eve eating Walpurgisnacht was to expand Kamihama's force field to the entire world. That's why in chapter 9, when Iroha and the rest are fighting the remaining Feathers left in Fendt Hope, some of the Feathers counter-argued Iroha by saying they or the people they cared about are outside of Kamihama. As things were then, salvation wouldn't apply to them. But the Magius promised the doppel system would be expanded worldwide, so that doppel salvation could be for everyone.

With the anniversary, I'd so been hoping they would release IroYachi and Madokami at the same time. I wanted to get the duo unit for sure before trying to roll for Madokami. Now though I'll have to hope I get lucky with Madokami. And no way I'm 4s-ing either of them. Might not even have enough rolls left to try for a 2s. Guess it is more time to save for IroYachi though.

Edit: Since it hasn't been said yet, the new bgm is badass and pleasant to listen to. Matches the tone of whatever's going on well.

Having just read through the entire page of Nemu/Touka comments, I'm just happy the Madoka series has continued to deliver on morally grey characters and scenarios.

last edited at Jun 23, 2020 3:28AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

In 10-4-1, I don't get why they translated Rika and Ren's lines towards Hinano differently, when they both call her "Miyako-senpai". They've also never bothered to translate honorifics before, so it's strange they suddenly use "senpai".

I felt they were just trying to stay true to character since they had to change the line anyway, since teens referring to their friends, even their seniors, by surname would come across as overly formal and stilted in english, then going the extra mile and trying to adapt to character: Rika uses a nickname, while Ren, being far more timid and collected, says it in the most formal way possible while still using Hinano's first name.

Minor personal gripes aside, so much for Alina not being completely deranged.

In Alina's defense, there is one easy-to-miss detail that hints she wasn't completely herself, if you pay attention to her eyes, normally Alina, even in Holy form, would have normal eyes, but when she appeared in chapter 10, you can clearly see her eyes are partially dulled out, hinting that she had started to lose control to the Uwasa at that point and that everything she said and did after switching to Holy form was more extreme than she would normally do, however, do not misunderstand this as me saying Alina isn't to blame here, when I was discussing this point with my buds in private, I compared this to someone taking a drug that they knew would make themselves more violent, and committing some atrocity while high, even if they wouldn't normally do what they did, they still took it knowing what could happen, and still hold responsibility for it.

I'm not even going to bother trying to go into that mess with the Fur God Uwasa right now because I haven't figured out why they felt it was necessary to include.

Don't even get me started, I already ranted so much about 10-4 in private, it is the only part of chapter 10 that struck me as being actually bad, the rest had a few issues here and there but was still pretty solid, this was just this massive dip and felt so rushed...

last edited at Jun 23, 2020 10:17AM

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

They've left in "-senapi" just about every time it's come up. I'm pretty sure this is the first time they've changed "Miyako-senpai", though.

The exact path might be overboard, but it makes sense for something like this to happen: Alina always called Eve her "best artwork" and never did express much interest in any other aspect of it.

last edited at Jun 23, 2020 12:21PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

In Alina's defense, there is one easy-to-miss detail that hints she wasn't completely herself, if you pay attention to her eyes, normally Alina, even in Holy form, would have normal eyes, but when she appeared in chapter 10, you can clearly see her eyes are partially dulled out, hinting that she had started to lose control to the Uwasa

I was staring at the two pictures and going back and forth between them because the colors were the exact same shade, before I finally saw that Holy Alina has two sets of sparkles in her eyes while Paint Blood Alina only has one. Props to you for noticing that because I didn't.

The exact path might be overboard, but it makes sense for something like this to happen: Alina always called Eve her "best artwork" and never did express much interest in any other aspect of it.

Yeah I think it's a case of dashed optimism for me. It's a bit similar to the shock from Rebellion, where I thought they could all get their perfect happy ending but nope. After seeing her help Nemu/Touka/Ui, I was starting to think "Alina can be redeemed too". But nope, that is just how she is. Not like she had any personal attachment to Ui, so doesn't make sense for her to change from her reveal. At least Yachiyo put in a good word for her to state she probably thought she had good intentions.

last edited at Jun 23, 2020 1:07PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Those bonus packs sure look inviting to buy, however I already have enough magical girls plus neither Ashley, Ultimate Madoka, or YachiIro are selectable from the platinum bundle. I suppose I could get the cheaper one that gives a random 4-star unit although I'd rather spend my money on console games and their dlc.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Props to you for noticing that because I didn't.

See, to me it was very easy to notice, and I had noticed long before 10-4 dropped... I guess certain details pop differently to some people, in particular, her eyes look much darker without the extra sparkle in place(as they should, it is an extra chunk of white missing), so it really pops to me.

Also, the music video parody I had mentioned before, do not watch if you haven't done 10-4! Karin singing about her "Ultimate Senpai".

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Cleared 10-4-2, now I'm stuck on 10-4-3. It's been a while since I've failed to clear a level after more than five tries. The last time was all the way back in chapter 4.

Eve just does too much damage. I do fine until the second stage when the mp regen kicks in. That's when the magia attack thing does me in. And then the status effects make it hard to heal which is bad when I want to rely on a more drawn out fighting strategy. Guess I'll try to find a different strategy or hope a maxed out support carries me with blast crits.

Edit: Welp right after I made this post, I tried again and one good blast disk, powered up with Yachiyo's connect, crit all three hits and took out almost half its health. Ridiculous how overpowered blast crits are.

So I have even less of an idea of how to make sense of 10-4. Alina just disappeared after being attacked by Nemu and the little Kyubey took Eve's place. Main thing I don't get is why the little Kyubey would help them. Clearly it's gained consciousness of its own, but why would it care? Did Ui's spirit make it want to be helpful? And how could it just take Eve's place and absorb all the impurities in the area instead of Ui/Eve? I don't remember the exact explanation of what Eve did so I've got nothing.

Reading the manga also made me remember just how closely the little Kyubey clings to Iroha everywhere. And how amazing it is that at some point they just all stop commenting on it.

last edited at Jun 24, 2020 1:47AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I am awake cuz P4G is a drug so might as well respond...

Ridiculous how overpowered blast crits are.

My suggestion to anyone doing chapter 10 has consistently been "Grab your Yachiyo, a support Tart/Fate/Homura/Ashley, and go win every fight in 3-4 turns", it has been consistently working out for me and at times I got 2 turn wins.

Alina just disappeared after being attacked by Nemu

Yep, it is one of the aspects that makes this part feel super rushed, the likely explanation is that a beat up Alina simply wandered off when everyone was too preocupied about Nemu, but that's hardly a satisfying explanation even if a realistic one.

Main thing I don't get is why the little Kyubey would help them. Clearly it's gained consciousness of its own, but why would it care?

Because it likes Iroha and the others, and as far as it could see, it was the only way to save them, that's really the entire gyst of it, you said yourself that it clings super close to Iroha, and that Touka was simply wrong about it not having emotions, she is working off what an Incubator should be instead of what Mokyu actually was.

From a more meta perspective, I could also tell you that Mokyu is the player avatar and that they wanted the player avatar to do something big in the finale, but that's not a satisfying answer, either...

And how could it just take Eve's place and absorb all the impurities in the area instead of Ui/Eve? I don't remember the exact explanation of what Eve did so I've got nothing.

Eve already had the "framework" of the automatic purification system that Touka originally envisioned before contracting, and Mokyu giving it a core that is built to be unaffected by emotions(which Mokyu was, the fact it developed emotions anyway due to being disconnected from the Kyubey hive mind doesn't change the fact it was not supposed to have them) completed it, but without the full power that Eve was meant to have when it hatched, it still only roughly affects Kamihama and the areas immediately around it like before.

last edited at Jun 24, 2020 2:23AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Yep, it is one of the aspects that makes this part feel super rushed, the likely explanation is that a beat up Alina simply wandered off when everyone was too preocupied about Nemu, but that's hardly a satisfying explanation even if a realistic one.

It is indeed the most likely explanation, I actually hadn't considered any other. I'm just surprised because she is literally relevant for two nodes and then is gone. Like really what was the point of her being there?

From a more meta perspective, I could also tell you that Mokyu is the player avatar and that they wanted the player avatar to do something big in the finale, but that's not a satisfying answer, either...

Yeah that would be the least satisfying answer to me. I was amused when Mokyu was the player avatar and completely useless. I much prefer that type of meta than one where the player character is an obnoxious self insert, taking over the plot just for the sake of it.

==Eve already had the "framework" of the automatic purification system that Touka originally envisioned before contracting, and Mokyu giving it a core that is built to be unaffected by emotions(which Mokyu was, the fact it developed emotions anyway due to being disconnected from the Kyubey hive mind doesn't change the fact it was not supposed to have them) completed it, but without the full power that Eve was meant to have when it hatched, it still only roughly affects Kamihama and the areas immediately around it like before.=

Doesn't that mean the little Kyubey had to somehow have regained the impurity harvesting power, because that's what Eve/Ui used to take away impurities? That's what didn't make sense for me. Like how could it have regained that just from touching Eve? Actually it already touched Eve before and that didn't happen. And it couldn't possibly already had that power because that's what was stripped away from it.

In other news, now that Iroha has gotten her 5* uncap, notably the connect feature of giving Yachiyo mp, I've fallen in love with having them on the same team and being awesome kickass buddy partners together. Especially when they're the only two remaining and they keep on going because they can constantly heal each other. Iroha's connect makes using Yachiyo's magia way easier and Yachiyo's blast discs make it possible to form a devestating 3-blast combo with Iroha. I love when game design reflects the story and characters.

Alina edit: I'm reading through some stuff on the MR discord, and I'm thinking now that this is another case of main story not providing enough context for people who haven't cleared the relevant event/MSS. People on the discord who've played the Holy Alina christmas event and MSS are saying this makes perfect sense. While I've seen the story for neither of those and therefore don't have enough info to say how this could make sense. Well I mean I'm glad they're keeping the characters true to every instance they show up even outside the MS. I wish they'd included more flashbacks though like they did with Kanagi. I have Kanagi actually but never played her MSS so would have been just as lost without the flashbacks.

last edited at Jun 24, 2020 2:43PM

A team of just Iroha and Yachiyo can be stronger than Iroha and Yachiyo + others

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Doesn't that mean the little Kyubey had to somehow have regained the impurity harvesting power, because that's what Eve/Ui used to take away impurities? That's what didn't make sense for me. Like how could it have regained that just from touching Eve? Actually it already touched Eve before and that didn't happen. And it couldn't possibly already had that power because that's what was stripped away from it.

No, because you need to remember this: Eve is Ui's Witch, therefor Eve has the same powers as Ui, and Mokyu only needed to serve as a core to stabilize Eve, this is one of my favorite details in all of this because it actually makes the internal lore around all that is happening very consistent despite the extremely unique "half-Witch" situation, "Eve" is simply what Touka called it because she can't read Witch runes, but Eve's real name is "Shitori Egumo", which is Ui's Witch name, and the game doesn't exactly hide this from the player either, both her boss intro, and her entry in the archive, shows Eve's true name, but in runes, which you can notice because the length of the name didn't match with "Embryo Eve" at all.

The thing behind all of this is that since Eve never fully hatched into a Witch(Ui's Soul Gem never hatched into a Grief Seed), and she became so massive, this allowed both Ui to "leave" her Witch, and prevented Eve from immediately breaking down without her meguca/soul gem, which led to 10-4 happening.

And Mokyu didn't simply touch Eve, it went inside the hole left behind by Ui which is where Eve's core was supposed to be.

And as a final note: Do note that the "girls can't read runes thus they call a Witch by some other name" has happened before, the official guidebook for Rebellion states that the reason they called Charlotte "Bebe" in the movie is specifically because when they found her, they couldn't read her name, so Mami named her "Bebe" as a corruption of "baby", since Charlotte saying Mami's name sounded like she was saying "mommy", this also happens at a different point in MagiReco: Holy Mami called her Doppel "Florence", when her Witch name is "Candeloro", because she can't read her Doppel's name either.

last edited at Jun 24, 2020 5:08PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Continuing the discussion about healing and healers from the Kaede x Rena image, I guess the healing of physical wounds magical girls could be an ability that most if not all of them possess. However I'm also thinking that magical girls whose wish is unrelated to health or healing probably aren't as good or "mana" efficient as someone like Iroha, Sayaka, (presumably) Madoka, and a few others. Also I'm assuming that magic can heal wounds but not fatigue (be that physical or mental) otherwise magical girls would have no need to sleep. Also unlike servants in Fate magical girls still have physical bodies with similar needs as a normal human ie. they have to eat, sleep, breathe, drink water...

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

Alina edit: I'm reading through some stuff on the MR discord, and I'm thinking now that this is another case of main story not providing enough context for people who haven't cleared the relevant event/MSS. People on the discord who've played the Holy Alina christmas event and MSS are saying this makes perfect sense. While I've seen the story for neither of those and therefore don't have enough info to say how this could make sense. Well I mean I'm glad they're keeping the characters true to every instance they show up even outside the MS. I wish they'd included more flashbacks though like they did with Kanagi. I have Kanagi actually but never played her MSS so would have been just as lost without the flashbacks.

The flashback we do see shows us that Alina has no emotional attachment to what's going on. That leaves her nothing to act on but her view of Eve as her ultimate masterpiece(though I suppose this might have been clearer had they bothered to ever actually develop her in the main story - the hints towards it could easily be discarded as just her being a one-note character).

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Any tips for getting the connect vs Mami in chapter 2? Even months ago my girls curb stomped her so fast I could never get the connect. Now it's basically impossible- I suppose I could use my level 1 Sayaka although does anyone have any low level character they could put up temporarily?

Edit: I forgot to mention but, I was able to successfully complete all of Chapter 10 that's been released up to now. Am now working on Magical Girl Side Stories till the event drops tomorrow.

Edit: Was browsing through pixiv and found this. I really like the parody of Red Riding Hood there. RRH Kaede, Big Bad Wolf Rena, Momoko as the huntswoman, and Mitama as the grandma. There's also a few cute Tsukasa/Tsukuyo images and some other ships in the gallery.

Edit: How's everyone doing with clearing the magical girl side stories? I've got a backlog of 20+ girls that I need to go through sometime soon-ish.

Edit: Today I rolled my first copy of Momoko on the daily free roll along with 2 Hinanos and a four star Mifuyu CEs.

last edited at Jun 25, 2020 8:01AM

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

Any tips for getting the connect vs Mami in chapter 2? Even months ago my girls curb stomped her so fast I could never get the connect. Now it's basically impossible- I suppose I could use my level 1 Sayaka although does anyone have any low level character they could put up temporarily?

If you have one, use a weak accel gorilla as your girl and choose a Madoka with Madoka's Notebook as a support - if your girl doesn't get 3 disks, use Madoka's Notebook to force a redraw of accel disks.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Don't use Accel gorillas, Accel has the highest base damage of any disc, specially in 1st position, Blast only surpasses it if it is Blast combo or due to its inherent 1.1x and 1.2x in 2nd and 3rd positions, if you want to minimize damage, using an Aqua Charge gorilla like Akira or Meiyui, and using their Personal memorias' Charge Draw to guarantee Charge discs if necessary, Charge has the lowest base damage and only positively impacts damage if you use an Accel or Blast disc after building up Charge

Anyway, Last Magia is here, and I am currently bursting Walpurgis with all I have, we all have a lot to burst down, after all...

last edited at Jun 25, 2020 12:10PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

The flashback we do see shows us that Alina has no emotional attachment to what's going on. That leaves her nothing to act on but her view of Eve as her ultimate masterpiece(though I suppose this might have been clearer had they bothered to ever actually develop her in the main story - the hints towards it could easily be discarded as just her being a one-note character).

No no, that part makes enough sense, it's the Fur God Uwasa that makes fuck zero sense to me because I have no clue where it came from.

Oh boy, time to pull for Ultimate Madoka. Fingers crossed for her and a 4* in the free daily 10 rolls. Edit: I cry, I got all memoria and one Natsuki. All 2* memoria except for "Surrounded by White Wings".

Ultimate Madoka edit: Fuck, I got spooked by Ikumi. At least I was only at 30ish rolls.

Madokami edit2: Yay I got her. I still have a 145 rolls left for IroYachi. Debating if I should keep on trying for a lucky 2s or save all of it for IroYachi.

Story edit: Second Walpurgisnacht battle, Rika has date plans? With who? Or was she just joking.

last edited at Jun 25, 2020 4:57PM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Story edit: Second Walpurgisnacht battle, Rika has date plans? With who? Or was she just joking.

I am pretty sure she was just joking, but I mean, Ren is right there...

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Looks like Aniplex is up to their old tricks again. Now the Rumor of the Eternal Sakura limited fate was announced as being up at the same time as the Ashley fate weave... If I'd know this was going to happen I wouldn't have spend my magia stones on Touka. :(

last edited at Jun 26, 2020 11:27AM

Sakura was obviously going to happen soon after the raid, and the Ashley rerun being at anniversary has been predicted for months

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Still doesn't make it better just because people "predicted" that it would come out after the Last Magia event. Not only will they do the Eternal Sakura limited fate weave, but they will likely do the YachiIro one soon after. Not that it matters for me since I won't be rolling on any of them. Also I got my first copy of Konoha on today's free 10-roll.

Edit: Nothing to do with the current event or rolls, but I like keeping memoria that gives status immunity unmerged as it lets me use them on more than one magical girl and that's more important than a few extra stat points on stages where enemies spam those effect. I do however have almost four of the Love Smells Like This memoria completely MLB'd though.

last edited at Jun 26, 2020 12:51PM

I got my first Ryo Midori copy in the free 10 roll today

To reply you must either login or sign up.