Forum › New yuri anime

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

neat.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I want to see the trailer, the girl looks very expressive in the picture.
I don't know what's the work of the author from the past.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I want to see the trailer, the girl looks very expressive in the picture.

You talk about Mamoru Oshii ? He has quite a resume

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Serenata posted:

One of his most famous works is Ghost in the Shell. Maybe you heard about it.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Cool

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Nevri posted:

Serenata posted:

One of his most famous works is Ghost in the Shell. Maybe you heard about it.

HMMMMM It rings a bell yeah... but if you put GITS and Urusei Yatsura together is really hard to tell how's this gonna be... Probably the comedy of the latest with the quality animation of the first? Hoping for the best! and I hope is not too silly.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Though I prefer my romance human-meets-human and my yuri non-404, the blurb taking the time to say it's "a serious take" means it should avoid some of the bigger danger zones of gay comedy.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

It's a comedy, but it'll be serious; in fact so serious that it goes with the "erase all males so there's no other options but to be a lesbian" (or something) like all the trite "cute girls doing cute things" comedies.

Well. I'm vaguely skeptical. But of course I won't complain if it's good. ^^

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

A serious comedy.
GITS creator broaches into CGDCT anime.

What in the actual frigg am I supposed to feel here?

It's a comedy, but it'll be serious; in fact so serious that it goes with the "erase all males so there's no other options but to be a lesbian" (or something) like all the trite "cute girls doing cute things" comedies.

CGDCT usually doesn't go beyond subtext tho, so males not being relevant doesn't somehow make them lesbians. That's just the audience projecting.

last edited at Jul 2, 2019 6:09AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

CGDCT usually doeasn't go beyond subtext tho, so males not being relevant doesn't somehow make them lesbians. That's just the audience projecting.

But it's also deliberate. The producers know this. And more often than not they explicitly bait.

[insert rant about queer erasure here]

Well, it's Japan.

Either way you can see in series like Seifuku no Vampiress Lord (which fits, because hey, vampires) a male character can add. Even as a not-love interest. Or even an anti-love interest. Or whatever.

But the debate is pretty pointless without seeing the actual product; who knows what he actually means anyway ...

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Speaking of Oshii's back catalogue here's a gif from Angel's Egg that's possibly slightly spoily though it's really impossible to spoil such an indecipherable film.

last edited at Jul 2, 2019 6:14AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

CGDCT usually doeasn't go beyond subtext tho, so males not being relevant doesn't somehow make them lesbians. That's just the audience projecting.

But it's also deliberate. The producers know this. And more often than not they explicitly bait.

Either way you can see in series like Seifuku no Vampiress Lord (which fits, because hey, vampires) a male character can add. Even as a not-love interest. Or even an anti-love interest. Or whatever.

Oh of course it is deliberate, hence the term yuri-bait.

You are running in open doors here. I always appreciate a yuri story that doesn't treat boys as nuisances that have to either be ignored or used as drama fuel.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Most of the comments there are about people bothered by the lack of handsome men.
And yes I agree that the trope of treating men like abusers just because it's Yuri is not great, but like this is Yuri. It's hard to develop a male character good and not expect people to start shipping him with the girls.

last edited at Jul 2, 2019 9:44AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

And yes I agree that the trope of treating men like abusers just because it's Yuri is not great, but like this is Yuri. It's hard to develop a male character good and not expect people to start shipping him with the girls.

And they do the same thing with two girls in straight shows, so is it really an issue? We shouldn't drag down realism or at least a huge chunk of what makes up humanity, just so some shippers don't get any fuel. There is a reason why the most grounded and usually most excelling yuri works don't treat men like they don't exist. This feeling of being "threatened" by a male presence only harms the genre imo.

Ohhhhhhh I´m so hyped for this!
That girl on the preview character sheet looks adorable~

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

And they do the same thing with two girls in straight shows, so is it really an issue? We shouldn't drag down realism or at least a huge chunk of what makes up humanity, just so some shippers don't get any fuel. There is a reason why the most grounded and usually most excelling yuri works don't treat men like they don't exist. This feeling of being "threatened" by a male presence only harms the genre imo.

I don't disagree, but at the same time I'm saying that it's understandable if the male characters are not very developed. Not making them abusers etc, just not developing them as much.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I don't disagree, but at the same time I'm saying that it's understandable if the male characters are not very developed. Not making them abusers etc, just not developing them as much.

I think Maki is a good example for that

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Mamoru Oshii is equal parts genius and madman. He has created some absolutely beautiful and iconic works and some stuff that just defies description because it's so far off the wall.

I will watch this more so because it is Oshii than because it is yuri.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

This makes me think of Hungry for You: Endo Yasuko Stalks the Night

To reply you must either login or sign up.