Forum › Citrus + discussion

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Citrus+ is filling the blanks between Mei breaking her engagement with the restaurant owner and her wedding with Yuzu. And the main focus has been on Mei learning how to be a good girlfriend with the occasional side plots focused on those who were present at the wedding. Personally, I'm not surprised we're getting an arc focused on Manami and Kana since they were quite homophobic the last time we saw them, and then they are at the wedding without making a fuss. Hell, they might even end up together or at the very least be open to the idea of dating a woman if Kana's reaction to Mitsuko is an indication. So there is potential for significant character growth for them.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

The funny thing is, mei already went through the whole "learning to be a good girlfriend" arc in citrus heck even if the conclusion wasn't the best it was a solid arc nonetheless
And after watching mei steping out of her comfort zone triying to be yuzu s ideal partner in citrus, is such a let down watching yuzu spending her birthday by herself despite mei being in the same room, the story is going circles and now is detracting from the main plot

last edited at May 23, 2022 2:11AM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

The funny thing is, mei already went through the whole "learning to be a good girlfriend" arc in citrus heck even if the conclusion wasn't the best it was a solid arc nonetheless
And after watching mei steping out of her comfort zone triying to be yuzu s ideal partner in citrus, is such a let down watching yuzu spending her birthday by herself despite mei being in the same room, the story is going circles and now is detracting from the main plot

Mei was going through the motions in citrus so no, she wasn't really a good girlfriend there. It was only until the end that she stopped following others and started taking the initiative for herself, that is what plus is expanding upon.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

I totally get being annoyed at the slow pace but tbh, my impression was that from the start Citrus+ was supposed to be a "leisurely jaunt through everything between the end of Citrus and their wedding".
So I just kinda expected from the start that they'd take the time to bring up everyone and everything they could

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Mei was going through the motions in citrus so no, she wasn't really a good girlfriend there. It was only until the end that she stopped following others and started taking the initiative for herself, that is what plus is expanding upon.

This alleged distinction between “Mei trying to be a good girlfriend” in Citrus + as opposed to her actions in the original series seems to me to be entirely specious.

Please cite specific examples from the text of Citrus + of Mei “taking the initiative for herself” to be a good girlfriend without “following others” in that regard.

• Buying Yuzu a birthday present? The one where she has to drag Matsuri along on her shopping trip?

• Communicating with Yuzu? The one where she has to try to use Harumin as a go-between to find out what’s up with the person she sleeps with every night?

• The birthday afternoon she promised to spend with Yuzu but it turned out she had too much administrative paperwork to keep her promise?

On the other hand, it’s easy to find examples of Mei fending Yuzu off physically, creating boundaries about things like saying “I love you,” and generally acting like the opposite of a proactive partner in a love relationship.

joined Mar 29, 2019

Yeah, if I were to write a fanfiction at this point, it would be about how Yuzu and Mei break up, that's pretty much where the story is. Mei doesn't really seem comfortable with any of this, like she's sure she made a mistake and isn't comfortable with having ruined her arranged marriage. To her, being a lesbian was just a fashionable fad that broke off from her taunting of Yuzu. Mei isn't gay, y'all, but Yuzu is.

I can see Mei finally getting the bravery to confront Yuzu and explain that she's actually straight and not into this but she's sorry about leaving their relationship so suddenly and then letting her down easy.

That's honestly the canonical headspace of this manga right now. I'd like to see Harumin admit she's a lesbian though. And then the confusion that Yuzu being single and out-gay causes for Matsuri. That would be spicy.

Then we could get a love triangle and Mei's straight adventures as a typical Japanese arranged housewife while Yuzu goes through the new gay lifestyle and gets torn between Matsuri and Harumin (who both have heavy sexual/emotional yearning for Yuzu).

I think that would be a lot healthier than what transpired at the end of OG Citrus and make new Citrus a lot more exciting. Mei was always the author's 'crush from afar'. The way the author is writing her makes me think she's guilty having projected her as gay. So make her straight, break them up at last, and let's get a love triangle going.

Harumin is by far the most interesting character left, but her and Matsuri and Yuzu could make a really nice gay burrito. Mei's not into any of this, it turns out.

Maybe Yuzu's mom could get a date as well?

Without interviews I don't know what the author is thinking, but Mei's regression isn't natural at all.

Xxaaezvi
joined Oct 1, 2019

Mei told Matsuri that she wanted to "touch" Yuzu but hasn't done anything to prove that. If I were Yuzu, after being snubbed on her birthday, I would go after Harumin. She's best girl anyway. Mei just pisses me off so much i want to scream! Nobody that is supposedly in love with someone treats that someone like Mei does. Mei was all over Yuzu in Citrus but can't seem to be able to touch her anymoe in Citrus +, HaruYuzu should happen. Even though it won't. Wanna see some loving, not words and games. Give Mei an ultimatum. Tell her you want sexy time or you'll go somewhere else.

However, the wedding proves they get married but I can't see how yet. I wouldn't if I was treated like Yuzu.

last edited at May 23, 2022 7:31PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yeah, if I were to write a fanfiction at this point, it would be about how Yuzu and Mei break up, that's pretty much where the story is. Mei doesn't really seem comfortable with any of this, like she's sure she made a mistake and isn't comfortable with having ruined her arranged marriage. To her, being a lesbian was just a fashionable fad that broke off from her taunting of Yuzu. Mei isn't gay, y'all, but Yuzu is.

I can see Mei finally getting the bravery to confront Yuzu and explain that she's actually straight and not into this but she's sorry about leaving their relationship so suddenly and then letting her down easy.

That's honestly the canonical headspace of this manga right now. I'd like to see Harumin admit she's a lesbian though. And then the confusion that Yuzu being single and out-gay causes for Matsuri. That would be spicy.

Then we could get a love triangle and Mei's straight adventures as a typical Japanese arranged housewife while Yuzu goes through the new gay lifestyle and gets torn between Matsuri and Harumin (who both have heavy sexual/emotional yearning for Yuzu).

I think that would be a lot healthier than what transpired at the end of OG Citrus and make new Citrus a lot more exciting. Mei was always the author's 'crush from afar'. The way the author is writing her makes me think she's guilty having projected her as gay. So make her straight, break them up at last, and let's get a love triangle going.

Harumin is by far the most interesting character left, but her and Matsuri and Yuzu could make a really nice gay burrito. Mei's not into any of this, it turns out.

Without interviews I don't know what the author is thinking, but Mei's regression isn't natural at all.

Lol. And the thing is, as it is now, Mei & Yuzu could actually work great just as emotionally close stepsiblings--Mei gets Yuzu to be more serious about her life choices, and Yuzu helps Mei loosen up and express herself more.

And without all that "mutual love" and "physical intimacy" stuff that Mei obviously can't handle getting in the way.

Xxaaezvi
joined Oct 1, 2019

Another month with no developement of the important relationships. Will be months before this arc will be done. Not interesting anymore. Im done.

Goodbye don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

Gee Shawn, other people besides me are criticising the Author about the story but you haven't given them any shit. Why just me? I'm just frustrated like Yuzu is because she ain't gettng any. Not even close to getting any, it seems. Really sad. Harumin best girl anyway. Admit it. Mei will never love Yuzu like she deserves. I just disagree with you when you say it's a good read. No, it's depressing. A love story with a one-sided love is pathetic, but the Japanese seem to like the unrequited love crap. That and clueless male antagonists in anime make me want to puke.

last edited at May 23, 2022 4:34PM

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I can't tell if you're being serious or joking here...

joined Jan 14, 2020

Seems serious to me. Harumin and Yuzu have more chemistry than Yuzu and Mei, currently.

Xxaaezvi
joined Oct 1, 2019

I am not gay but in the order of choice for me to go after if I was would be Harumin, Yuzu, Matsuri and lastly, Mei.

Gibfady, I wish you were the author instead

As far as Yuzu is concerned, she needs to concentrate on those that accept her and forget those that don't. She has to learn, like ironically Mei told her, not everyone will agree with it. That's why I don't care about this couple or the girl that punched Yuzu. You know they are gonna show up again sooner or later. Then there goes another few months wasted.

last edited at May 23, 2022 4:58PM

Xxaaezvi
joined Oct 1, 2019

Seems serious to me. Harumin and Yuzu have more chemistry than Yuzu and Mei, currently.

Always did. This story should be about them. You rarely see Mei do anything with Yuzu but Harumin is always there. Harumin also went to check up on Matsuri not just because she wanted to check on her but because Yuzu was worried about her, too. Now that is a true love, if you ask me. Texting Yuzu when a new chapter of the manga she was reading came out. Dropping everything she was doing to run to meet with Yuzu when Yuzu came out, buying ice cream along the way. She also got angry with Yuzu because she didn't want her to be hurt by her older sister (motorcycle girl). Gave Yuzu her bike when Yuzu took Mei to the station to send her dad off. That is the real love story that should have been written about. Not a story about a mentally troubled girl who had issues with her dad and society in general.

last edited at May 23, 2022 5:14PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Harumin has do more things here that she have in Citrus and it wasn't difficult given she did barely anything in Citrus. I would really stop reading if it was that.
I don't know why peoples continue reading while they uberly hate one of the main character.

Edit : oh boi did the post above make me laugh. You can really see how little she have done when two of the things mentionned where from one chapter only each. Harumin being clueless about the relation all manga long made her useless as a friend. Matsuri was a better friend through Citrus course than Harumin ever was.

last edited at May 23, 2022 5:19PM

Xxaaezvi
joined Oct 1, 2019

Then why did Yuzu continue to hang out with Harumin since Matsuri was this great girlfriend? Harumin was with Yuzu and allowed her to talk about anything she wanted to. When she did come out, she supported her fully and even said that Matsuri, with her brass balls, could do more for Yuzu than she could, even though Yuzu wanted Harumin to come along to go find Mei.

I follow the story in the hope that Mei pulls her head out of her ass, fully acccepts her father as the way he is and tries to make a real effort to show Yuzu the love that she deserves. Not handholding and an occasional kiss, like some manga have, but hot heavy love that she deserves. Yuzu was willing to do that in Citrus. Hasn't been given the opportunity in Citrus +. Why the pullback? Regret? Stupidity? A combination of both? She grabbed Yuzus hand and placed it on her breast in Citrus. Only one scene in Citrus + even got remotely close when Yuzu and Mei were in their pj's.

Mei can tell the board of directors of the school that she loves Yuzu but can't allow Yuzu to say "I love you' at school? Huh? Am I missing something? Either Mei loves Yuzu or she doesn't. At this point, Mei hasn't proven that she is suitable for Yuzu, as she feared and asked Momokino about. C'mon Mei! Read the room! Go with the flow! Get naked with Yuzu and have fun for a change! Yuzu wants it, you say you want it. THEN DO IT, DAMMIT! Who knows, if you do that you might want to have that threesome with Matsuri after all.

I don't want this to be like the manga Bloom Into You, where the main characters wait until the last chapters to do it. It becomes a letdown when that happens that way. All that buildup and no way to continue celebrating their love with them. They do it and the story ends. No, that is where the real story should begin.

last edited at May 23, 2022 6:02PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I remember know why i stopped reading this thread seriously.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't know why peoples continue reading while they uberly hate one of the main character.

I don’t know how many times this needs to be said, but I’ll say it as many times as necessary: the issue isn’t that people “hate” the imaginary person Mei Aihara; it’s that many people think that the author has done a bad job of developing that character in a consistent and interesting way.

In other words, the feelings are not about an imaginary person imagined as if she were a real person, but about the construction of a fictional character by an author.

I don’t “dislike” Mei; I once thought that Mei was by far the most interesting character in the series—she was vivid, dynamic, and sexy. Mei’s (potential) growth as a person was the main driver of the series. (Yuzu’s great, but she’s been pretty much the same person all along.)

Other readers have put forth arguments about why Mei’s characterization is actually consistent, often by giving reasons for her behavior that are not given in the story itself, such as theories that Mei is a victim of sexual abuse or that she is on the autism spectrum. Many of us who have been reading from the beginning find those theories, at best, unsupported by the text.

Tl;dr: give us the Mei & Yuzu depicted on the volume covers and everyone would be fine with it.

last edited at May 23, 2022 6:20PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I think it's taking it too seriously for what it is honestly and by now you should know what you're expecting are never going to happen.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think it's taking it too seriously for what it is honestly and by now you should know what you're expecting are never going to happen.

In other words, the series that started out like Fatal Attraction is going to end up as A Nun’s Tale.

Alas, you’re probably right.

joined Jul 26, 2016

There's certain amusement to be derived from bad stories, ya know. Now I can't speak for others but already way back when the OG series was still running I stopped taking it even remotely seriously as a narrative and started treating it as a sort of unintentional gag 4koma - it became only too apparent the author was incapable and/or unwilling to do really much anything worth note with the actual storyline, but watching her mess it up and keep coming with endless Wacky Wayside Tribe distractions was kinda funny. Plus there was the occasional bright spot of genuine funny (Matsuri was usually involved somehow).

The Return of The Revenge of The Son of Citrus 2: Electric Boogaloo (Not Featuring DANTE From The Devil May Cry Series) keeps on chugging along on the same track. Might as well keep deriving idle entertainment from tossing pebbles at it like before and dissecting why it's fail.

Xxaaezvi
joined Oct 1, 2019

At least it seems that Chiaki and Hana have gotten it together in Sekai de Ichiban Oppai ga Suki! Took 57 chapters but at least they know what they both want now. Unlike this mess.

last edited at May 23, 2022 7:30PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

At least it seems that Chiaki and Hana have gotten it together in Sekai de Ichiban Oppai ga Suki! Took 57 chapters but at least they know what they both want now. Unlike this mess.

Yeah, but much of the humor in that one comes from how dense the MCs both are and the great lengths they went to in order to avoid being honest about what they were doing.

This series arrived at the point where the MCs admitted that they loved each other and wanted to be together at the end of Vol. 6 of the original series, and (after much hemming and hawing and hithering and thithering) it was shown at the end of Vol. 10 that everybody else was OK with that too.

Ever since then the second series has been running away from, ignoring, sidestepping, or otherwise keeping at arm’s length the state of affairs that had been achieved dozens of chapters ago.

Sisyphus had to keep rolling that rock up the hill for eternity as a punishment from the gods for cheating death twice. What Yuzu did to deserve this I do not know.

Xxaaezvi
joined Oct 1, 2019

Blastaar, at least you understand how I feel about this series. Some want to tell me to respect the author and be respectful. I am just voicing my displeasure at the direction that this story has taken. Cut the non-essential arcs and get the MCs together in a meaningful, physical relationship. If not the MCs, then one between Harumin and Matsuri.

Now watch, she brings Sara back into the picture because she has a change of heart and wants Mei again.

last edited at May 24, 2022 5:24PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Sisyphus had to keep rolling that rock up the hill for eternity as a punishment from the gods for cheating death twice. What Yuzu did to deserve this I do not know.

Actual LOL. (with you, not at you)

joined Mar 30, 2021

I'll never really get over how most of the fandom (or at least the vocal part) just can't seem to care much about whether or not there's going to be sex between Yuzu and Mei and devalue their relationship because we didn't get such a scene (and possibly never will).

If you're that starved for sexual content, there's websites specifically for that type of content. Feel free to check those out!
It's honestly just feeling like it's teen boys who can't think or care about anything but sex reading this series and getting overly frustrated about it.

And how dare this manga have side characters, and even go as far as to dedicate arcs to them! Shame on Citrus+ for not just being an R18 Citrus side series without plot.

To reply you must either login or sign up.