Forum › Yuri Ideas You'd Like To See

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

What are some interesting ideas you've thought up and would like to actually read? Could be a basic premise, or just a specific concept within the framework of a larger story. Like, for an example of the latter type; picture a very typical high school yuri with the main character, her Straight Best Friend, and her Designated Love Interest... but she and the love interest don't actually have much of a chemistry outside of their initial meeting circumstances, despite her attempts to make things work, and eventually realizes she's actually in love with the best friend who's been quietly supporting her this whole time, and isn't actually as straight as first assumed. (Take a wild guess which infamous manga that recently received an anime adaptation inspired that one...)

So yeah, I'd be interested to see what thoughts people have on this!

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

Well, A college girl (Let's say... Ki-chan?) with a cheerful personality, kinda tall (1m7). One day, a kid appear in the college. And of course, she keep patting her head and calling her "cute kid", etc... But turn out, the kid is the older sister of her male classmate, she went there to give her brother something he forgot at home. Before leaving, she give the Ki-chan a cold glare.

Shocked by that, Ki-chan wants to make amends, and keep asking advices from the brother. Which make another girl who have a crush on the brother misundertood it, and seeing Ki-chan as her love rival.
Ki-chan at first just want to apologies, and be friend with the loli sister. But slowly attracted to her. Cheerful all the time, but very awkward when she is with the sister.
The loli sister really hate Ki-chan, since she broke the 3 commandments in their first met (called her a kid, patted her head, carried her like a child). Yeah but of course she will forgive and starts to like Ki-chan (after a long, long time). She's a classic tsundere, no hitting, no abusing at all, just don't want to show her love too visibly. But when there're just two of them, she is a warm person.

That's it, how d'ya think?

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Yogg-Saron posted:

She's a classic tsundere, no hitting, no abusing at all

How is that a classic tsundere?

The idea is actually not that bad, it could have potential.

last edited at Jul 8, 2018 8:11AM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Romance/coming-out shown from a parents' viewpoint. For instance, two families trying to negotiate their way through one parent's virulent homophobia.

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

Yogg-Saron posted:

Well, the classic before they make the "hitting and abusing" tsundere classic. Gosh I miss them

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Yogg-Saron posted:

Yogg-Saron posted:

Well, the classic before they make the "hitting and abusing" tsundere classic. Gosh I miss them

xP

Joking aside, I understand what you mean completely. Tsundere originally was supposed to be hostile towards mc and only after warming up to them and falling for them, they would show them their genuine loving side. It of course still could happen rarely and take a lot effort and embarrassment from tsundere, but at this point she would visibly become nicer to mc. Sadly somewhere along the line the version where she constantly flips between loving and hating become popular and we are stuck with it as default.

last edited at Jul 8, 2018 10:19AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yogg-Saron posted:

Yogg-Saron posted:

xP

Joking aside, I understand what you mean completely. Tsundere originally was supposed to be hostile towards mc and only after warming up to them and falling for them, they would show them their genuine loving side. It of course still could happen rarely and take a lot effort and embarrassment from tsundere, but at this point she would visibly become nicer to mc. Sadly somewhere along the line the version where she constantly flips between loving and hating become popular and we are stuck with it as default.

I always assumed that one of the classic tsundere models was the female lead from Love Hina, and oh BOY was she all about the hitting and abusing. Was there a classic model prior to that?

Not that I'm a big fan of the abusive tsundere model or anything, and it sucks that a generation of lazy writers have used tsundere as an entire character description rather than a trait. But still, I think at least slapstick violence has been pretty common in the idea all along.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

lolis, but also they're wizards, and an age gap or something. With many violence

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan posted:

I always assumed that one of the classic tsundere models was the female lead from Love Hina, and oh BOY was she all about the hitting and abusing. Was there a classic model prior to that?

Not that I'm a big fan of the abusive tsundere model or anything, and it sucks that a generation of lazy writers have used tsundere as an entire character description rather than a trait. But still, I think at least slapstick violence has been pretty common in the idea all along.

You got a point. Admittedly I don't really know all the details and I just kinda heard about this idea briefly. It sounded reasonable, so I just went with it, but now that you mentioned it, I totally forgot about Love Hina and it does complicate things a bit. Not only it is older than most examples I could give, in fact the rabbit hole goes deeper as you even have Rumiko Takahashi's works like Urusei Yatsura and Ranma ½ which had similar characters. And there are probably other ones I don't know about. They are comedy focused series though and I suppose the "hitting you because you said/did something slightly off or misunderstanding" is supposed to be funny (for me it usually wears down very fast), so violence being exaggerated was the point, but I guess they do count as the first seeds of idea of tsunderes.

There are examples more in line what I was talking about though. I never saw Asuka from Evangelion as tsundere, but she supposedly is so she would count as the most realistic example. You have characters like Rin from Fate, Taiga from Toradora and Shana from Shakugan no Shana who are more about verbal abuse and if there was any physical one, it wasn't too extreme and character would tone down in general with time. Louise from Zero no Tsukaima, while in general fitting with the rest, was a bit different from what I remember in the fact that despite her and Saitou clearly loving each other they still shoehorned all other girls into his harem and make other girls go for him so he is constantly put into situations that make Louise angry, so even if she did warm up to him with time, the violence didn't really go down from what I remember. And Zero no Tsukaima was more a comedy anime as well, so next thing differentiating it from the rest.

What link all those though is the fact characters are always fleshed out. They are never tsunderes first, whatever second. I can't really say how much characters in those comedy series were fleshed out because I either didn't see them or I don't remember. So I guess in the end they all count as tsundere, just one version is more for comedy and other is more for serious stories, but with time they merged together and created the current default tsundere which constantly flips between showering you with love and wanting to kill you for your insolence. Because if they didn't, we couldn't get all the "comedy", right? And of course new authors instead on focusing first on developing their characters and then make them fit to be tsunderes, they just copied the superficial traits and didn't give theirs characters any thought. Hence we got the flood of generic tsunderes.

I'd be inclined to say that ignoring those comedy series, the first proper tsundere was Asuka from Evangelion. Maybe there is some character that is older than her that is also well developed, but well, I don't know them. I'm saying that, because one thing I'm at least sure is that, Hideaki Anno created deadpan character stereotype by accident with character of Rei. She was meant to be creepy. Her lack of emotions was supposed to be off putting. Yet somehow people loved it and she become one of the most favorite anime characters of all time. So if Asuka was first tsundere and then idea of tsundere was twisted beyond recognition, it would be pretty fitting irony.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'd honestly be happy if the whole one-word character description thing died off anyway, given how much it encourages stereotyping characters and not looking deeper into them. Even just expanding it to "shy and defensive" helps a little, because then you're not just going "okay, I know what a tsundere is" and looking a bit more into why they're so shy and what they're defensive about.

But alas, that ain't ever gonna happen.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan posted:

I'd honestly be happy if the whole one-word character description thing died off anyway, given how much it encourages stereotyping characters and not looking deeper into them.

Yea, 100% agree with that.

But alas, that ain't ever gonna happen.

Sadly.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Though I write a lot myself, I unfortunately don't have the commitment or energy to finish a lot of the stories I get ideas for.

One idea I've been toying with for many years, but never actually put to paper, is a light fantasy story of a young woman being shipwrecked somewhere on a southern continent, where she is found by the young head priestess of a nearby village. The story would focus on their feelings for each other deepening as they slowly learn to communicate with each other. (Idea originally inspired by Nation - Terry Pratchett)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Though I write a lot myself, I unfortunately don't have the commitment or energy to finish a lot of the stories I get ideas for.

One idea I've been toying with for many years, but never actually put to paper, is a light fantasy story of a young woman being shipwrecked somewhere on a southern continent, where she is found by the young head priestess of a nearby village. The story would focus on their feelings for each other deepening as they slowly learn to communicate with each other. (Idea originally inspired by Nation - Terry Pratchett)

"HItomi and Hana...at Akihabara!"

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Want I want more of is some action/adventure type of thing where the lead just happens to be a lesbian. Like, 12 Kingdoms with a lesbian. Or Moribito, with Balsa being gay. Anything, really.

Yuri's just always so ... romance-focused. Which of course is often pretty good and the point, but sometimes ...

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Want I want more of is some action/adventure type of thing where the lead just happens to be a lesbian. Like, 12 Kingdoms with a lesbian. Or Moribito, with Balsa being gay. Anything, really.

Yuri's just always so ... romance-focused. Which of course is often pretty good and the point, but sometimes ...

Tanda is a good guy, but Balsa is totally gay in my headcanon.

To reply you must either login or sign up.