Forum › Fuzoroi no Renri discussion

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

This is like your usual yaoi story. What a mess. Kek.

disagree
it has girls
as main characters
and love interests
it is therefore 1000000% better

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Cannibal posted:

This is like your usual yaoi story.

What does this even mean?

Well yaoi is romance between two girls, right?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Cannibal posted:

That's how I've always understood it.

joined Aug 22, 2016

Cannibal posted:

That's how I've always understood it.

Well, the user did say it was yaoi-like, not that it was yaoi.

last edited at Jul 9, 2017 6:16PM

joined Oct 13, 2015

The disagreement seems over but thought i might add something. I did editing while at university and we had a number of long conversations about choosing the appropriate wording regarding pronouns. 'He' and 'She' are gender specific and often don't work well when trying to convey an idea using hypothetical people - if that makes sense. One of the ways around this would be to use 'He/she' (for fairly obvious reasons this wouldn't work in a story) but this solution is somewhat inelegant. Another idea I saw was to use male pronouns on odd pages whilst even pages used female. Unfortunately, English doesn't have a gender-neutral singular term (at least, not any more). So much of the time we used 'they'.

Edit: Should have mentioned, I'm really looking forward to more chapters of this. Both of the girls are adorable in different ways.

last edited at Jul 9, 2017 7:28PM

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

Wow this is just too good to be true! I'm totally following :3

Shingeki.no.kyojin.full.1508027
joined Aug 20, 2013

One of my favs now :)

36065563-min
joined Jul 11, 2017

I want to see how their relationship continues. At least it's original yuri.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

Cannibal posted:

i think it means that yaoi mangas/doujins/anime are usually boring or generic with characters thar are boring or simple stereotypes that only exist to fullfill your desire to read something gay
note: i said usually because even if i dont like yoai i guess there should be some good works i really like yuri on ice

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

I'm the type that makes people uncomfortable.

I feel bad, because on the one hand it sucks that Japan is so conservative with LGBT issues compared to many of its allies, but on the other hand I love the dorama that it brings.

Actually Japan was never against LGBT people. After the Americans took over that stigma was created. Japan is also one of the most accepting country's in sex or kings.

Its actually a fair bit more complex than that and to say homophobia in Japan was a creation Americans or Westerners in general is complete bullshit barely worthy of a response.
See, the Japanese tend to only be accepting of same sex encounters, not relationships. Japan is supremely conservative and has very strict gender roles, so while a fling or a teenage relationship might be acceptable, serious relationships are not and attempting to maintain a same-sex relationship beyond your youth is viewed as childish and something that you need to be "cured" of.
A strong emphasis on marrying and producing children only furthers this distaste for homosexuality and adds a layer of discomfort for asexuals as well
Said conservatism towards gender role also means transsexuals are right out. Hell even tomboyishness is often viewed as freaky or unusual, enough that tomboys, no matter how good looking, nice or all around wonderful human beings they may be, are frequently viewed as undesirable and odd for not conforming.

Non of this has anything to do with Americans or westerners in general. All of this has been a part of Japanese culture for hundreds of years, which is why it is so hard to get the Japanese population as a whole to change, cause unlike in the US, where the core of reactionary homophobic movements is often (but not always) some sort religious fundamentalism dogma, in Japan it is simply the way things are. Its not some small but vocal group who want to "kill all the queers" but is a universal and accepted idea homosexuality is simply a phase that is grown out of and if not, then it should be cured, because in Japan men act one way and women act another and deviating in any way from this is grounds for punishment or at the very least "justifiable" discrimination.

TL;DR Japan isn't "not homophobic" and "not conservative" and homophobia is not something that Japan imported from the west.

joined Mar 15, 2017

Most of the above is not really true either. Japan has changed. Their views on homosexuality aren't actually far behind the US.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Said conservatism towards gender role also means transsexuals are right out.

Well, not counting the ones who have been elected to government offices, yes? Tomoyo Hosoda and Aya Kamikawa, notably.

From what I gather, there's slowly growing acceptance, despite representations in media still being caricatures.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Japan is weird when it comes to LGBT. Homosexuality has been legal since the beginning and its fairly visible in their culture in various ways, which is more than can be said about many Western countries. And we all know what kind of sword fighting many samurai did with their students wink wink

But they have this weird "don't take it seriously" thing going on. A bit of the "don't ask, don't tell" mentally, too, perhaps. Well, at least they started with this partnership certificate thing, so there's certainly movement there.

Frankly, if you look at the global situation those last years for "first world countries" I'd wish politicians would just get "it" over with. It's clear where the wind is blowing, and countries pass laws one after another. Might as well stop delaying, it's not a development that's going to turn around any time soon.

joined Jul 13, 2017

can't wait to read the next updates

2017-07-16_16-04-11
joined May 15, 2017

Will there be different characters in the upcoming chapters since the office lady tag is only in the first chapter?

last edited at Jul 16, 2017 9:26AM

joined Aug 19, 2012

I would be so happy if more yuri has yaoi-ish like stories.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

It's nice to see an adaptation of Sonic 06 break off in this fashion, digging the silver x shadow thing.

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

Is there ever going to be more?

Maybe. She said she will "probably" continue it. There's even pretty recent comments (like today) from people asking her to continue it on the pixiv page.

Finding someone to translate it on the other hand...

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Bump for awareness because this was really enjoyable.

Haven't seen her post anything about this in a long while, unfortunately.

Surprise, it got a continuation.

91174211_215395393136656_8792315491096985600_n
joined Dec 5, 2016

Seriously, Arc? Who's gonna work on it? (I'm up for that, by the way teehee)

__kasodani_kyouko_touhou_drawn_by_uguisu_mochi_ykss35__6c703c362e7ad06d13079154bccd4fae
joined Jul 11, 2017

Oh happy day!

Seriously, Arc? Who's gonna work on it? (I'm up for that, by the way teehee)

I'll probably translate it, sure. It's just two pages for now, so I'll wait for a couple more.

To reply you must either login or sign up.