Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I’ve seen a lot of talk in queer spaces in recent years about decoupling romantic attraction and sexual attraction. So you can have different responses on each axis. A lot of it has been in the context of asexuals who nevertheless have romantic relationships which don’t involve sex but do include the things we’d expect from romance, but it applies to others as well.

For instance, I currently identify as a biromantic lesbian, since I certainly could (and have) feel romantic attraction to male-identified folks, I’m not actually interested in fucking one. From what I’ve seen it’s a pretty useful distinction.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan posted:

romantic attraction and sexual attraction.

Those 2 things were always separate for me, so I really can't understand the issue. You can love someone romantically, while not being sexually attracted to them, the same way you can be attracted to someone sexually, while not having any romantic feelings whatsoever. I'm not inherently against calling it platonic love instead, but most people associate it more with admiration and strong, deep friendship than love, so I feel like using this term more often than not, actually does more harm than good. Let's face it, word romance is very heavy integrated into our culture, so trying to use different word to describe the same feeling, just make people confuse and think there is some difference between two.

last edited at Nov 10, 2018 9:56AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan posted:

Those 2 things were always separate for me, so I really can't understand the issue. You can love someone romantically, while not being sexually attracted to them, the same way you can be attracted to someone sexually, while not having any romantic feelings whatsoever. I'm not inherently against calling it platonic love instead, but most people associate it more with admiration and strong, deep friendship than love, so I feel like using this term in more than more occasions, actually does more harm than good. Let's face it, word romance is very heavy integrated into our culture, so trying to use different word to describe the same feeling, just make people confuse and think there is some difference between two.

I think for me at least, the idea of Platonic love doesn’t carry the desire for exclusivity or intimacy that the modern concept of romance does. Like a more idealized sort of hands-off love.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

If you ever feel bad for something, or feel down for whatever reason, you can always watch this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs7WlRCTEQk
Also, remember that family and friends are kinda forms of love, too, and if you're going through a tough time, I'll be here to give love and support.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Nezchan posted:

Those 2 things were always separate for me, so I really can't understand the issue. You can love someone romantically, while not being sexually attracted to them, the same way you can be attracted to someone sexually, while not having any romantic feelings whatsoever. I'm not inherently against calling it platonic love instead, but most people associate it more with admiration and strong, deep friendship than love, so I feel like using this term in more than more occasions, actually does more harm than good. Let's face it, word romance is very heavy integrated into our culture, so trying to use different word to describe the same feeling, just make people confuse and think there is some difference between two.

I think for me at least, the idea of Platonic love doesn’t carry the desire for exclusivity or intimacy that the modern concept of romance does. Like a more idealized sort of hands-off love.

Plutonic love simply means love without sex.

joined Sep 1, 2017

I’ve seen a lot of talk in queer spaces in recent years about decoupling romantic attraction and sexual attraction. So you can have different responses on each axis. A lot of it has been in the context of asexuals who nevertheless have romantic relationships which don’t involve sex but do include the things we’d expect from romance, but it applies to others as well.

For instance, I currently identify as a biromantic lesbian, since I certainly could (and have) feel romantic attraction to male-identified folks, I’m not actually interested in fucking one. From what I’ve seen it’s a pretty useful distinction.

What is romantic attraction, without sexual desire? An urge to be with them all of the time? Being soothed by their words, their presence, their touch? A desire to be able to the same for them? A possessive feeling, of wanting them all to yourself? Well that is plutonic attraction,

Forgive me for not being woke, but what is a biromantic lesbian?

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Plutonic love is when she loves you even though you're no longer a planet.

joined Jan 6, 2017

What is romantic attraction, without sexual desire? An urge to be with them all of the time? Being soothed by their words, their presence, their touch? A desire to be able to the same for them? A possessive feeling, of wanting them all to yourself? Well that is plutonic attraction,

Romantic attraction without sexual desire basically means what you just described. Imagine a relationship without sex. The feelings in that relation ship are romantic attraction, while the desire to have sex (and the desire for all the sexual parts of someone) is sexual attraction. These are independent concepts, so one doesn't need the other one.
Defining the exact line between platonic and romantic love is hard, but I think most people don't have an "urge to be with their friends all the time" and they don't "get soothed by their friends' words, presence, and touch".

And a biromantic lesbian is a woman who can be romantically attracted to men and women, but is only sexually attracted to women (like what they said, has been in love with men and women, but doesn't want to fuck men).

joined Oct 22, 2018

Romantic attraction without sexual desire basically means what you just described. Imagine a relationship without sex. The feelings in that relation ship are romantic attraction, while the desire to have sex (and the desire for all the sexual parts of someone) is sexual attraction. These are independent concepts, so one doesn't need the other one.
Defining the exact line between platonic and romantic love is hard, but I think most people don't have an "urge to be with their friends all the time" and they don't "get soothed by their friends' words, presence, and touch".

And a biromantic lesbian is a woman who can be romantically attracted to men and women, but is only sexually attracted to women (like what they said, has been in love with men and women, but doesn't want to fuck men).

I'm glad that even here my father's words hold true: "One learns while one lives.".

joined Sep 1, 2017

I'm seriously confused. My basic concept seems simple enough. Romantic love is love with sexual desire. plutonic love is love without. In my mind it's as clear cut as, wet means there is water on it, while dry means it doesn't. Love is just love. It come in many forms. Too many to have a name for every single form. So breaking it down into two catch all categories, seems to make sence.
I guess it's hard to describe, those feelings of love, that live in the margins. Those deep, close, feelings, that have all the hallmarks of romantic love, minus the sexual desire. However I don't see labelling those feelings as plutonic as diminishing them, or soiling them, in anyway. Plutonic is just a way of saying it's not sexual.
Maybe we have been conditioned to think of plutonic love as open and altruistic. A parents' love, a love for a friend. It's not that simple. Parent have favorites. Friends get jealous. Children have sibling rivalry. It's all different aspects of love.
To be honest, I'm still kind of trying to wrap my mind around the concept of an exclusive asexual relationship. I understand how a relationship could evolve into one. How a relationship starts as asexual is a little fuzzy to me, however. The idea of a biromantic lesbian is absolutely giving me fits. (I'm not judging. I just don't know what that means. DY4Y gave me a technical definition, thanks by the way, but that didn't really help.)

last edited at Nov 11, 2018 5:53PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

No,you got it wrong, It's a love of cartoon dogs.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

What are you saying about love for THE LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD, mortal?

joined Sep 1, 2017

I'm more of a Venus lover myself.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I'm more of a Venus lover myself.

LMAO, I can't even choose a favourite one xD
EDIT: I meant it for those posts given.

last edited at Nov 12, 2018 3:27AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Some Lord of the Underworld yuri for you all.

Amusing that they use the name "Hades", when the actual myth uses "Pluto" instead. In fact, from what I gather the story is Pluto's primary myth under that name.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Amusing that they use the name "Hades", when the actual myth uses "Pluto" instead. In fact, from what I gather the story is Pluto's primary myth under that name.

The name Pluto is the Latin version of Plouton (Πλούτων) which was a common title that Hades also had. Later Plouton became more common since "Hades" started to refer to the entirety of the underworld, but Hades was still the earlier name. I personally use Pluto for the Roman god and Hades for the Greek god (which seems to be more common for most people).

joined Oct 22, 2018

The name Pluto is the Latin version of Plouton (Πλούτων) which was a common title that Hades also had. Later Plouton became more common since "Hades" started to refer to the entirety of the underworld, but Hades was still the earlier name. I personally use Pluto for the Roman god and Hades for the Greek god (which seems to be more common for most people).

About the last sentence: same goes for me.
EDIT: Thank you everybody, I always love to learn new things ^.^

last edited at Nov 12, 2018 2:30PM

joined May 24, 2014

Stan lee is dead

Rest in peace

joined Oct 22, 2018

Stan lee is dead

Rest in peace

The name somehow sounds familiar, but I fail to remember from where.
But why let a lack of knowledge get in your way of a good paying of respects.
F.

joined Oct 22, 2018

If anyone of y'all likes horror, I think I have just about the perfect piece of Slavic (more specifically, Czech) mythology and folklore for you...
It's called "The legend of the pit of Houska castle".

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

this thread is dead

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I missed everything as usual. What that romantic vs. platonic love thing boiled down to is that johnb likes making his own definitions and treating them as fact.

I dunno how it got to naming favorite Greek deities, but alright. Hermes is one swell dude.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

BugDevil posted:

I dunno how it got to naming favorite Greek deities, but alright. Hermes is one swell dude.

Because instead of platonic, johnb wrote plutonic and they went from there.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

BugDevil posted:

Because instead of platonic, johnb wrote plutonic and they went from there.

Yeah I noticed. I was just wondering how one would make that mistake... or maybe just surprised that anybody here knew about Pluton/Plouton being Hades. lol
I love Greek mythology and ancient Greek culture, so this is actually a nice topic change~

Speaking of gods with alternate names, there is also Dionysus being called Bacchus even during the Greek era. I think most people didn't know that and just assumed it was only his Roman name.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Stan lee is dead

Rest in peace

I just watched some memes made in his honour. RIP Stan Lee. Excelsior.

To reply you must either login or sign up.