Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

joined Mar 23, 2013

Those republicans are establishment though, and most hate him from what I know. So he probably won't be getting much done, it'll be mostly his cabinet screwing everything :'D

He'll be doing a lot of things because his party has all the keys to the Kingdom. Republicans stonewalled Obama for so long, now the same who refused to work with democrats don't have to care about them. Every time a republican senator or a group of senators is going to show up with a bill it's going to go straight from the senate/house to his deck ready for his signature.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

He'll be doing a lot of things because his party has all the keys to the Kingdom. Republicans stonewalled Obama for so long, now the same who refused to work with democrats don't have to care about them. Every time a republican senator or a group of senators is going to show up with a bill it's going to go straight from the senate/house to his deck ready for his signature.

I meant he won't be the real decision maker or really deciding the direction of government since he's a clown whose party establishment doesn't like him. The government won't get things done, I just meant it wouldn't be Trump driving it.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Um...Hillary isn't anti-gay. Maybe if you take same-sex marriage as the only LGBT issue, which isn't true by a long shot.

But hey, there's a LOT of propaganda out there about her that people accept uncritically, especially given the right's been attacking her for more than a decade.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

flips posted:

Umm... Trump is also anti-gay tho, and the VP is a huge religious zealot, anti-gay too. Btw Tump holding that rainbow flag, when he also said he was gonna take gay marrige down, that confused ppl into thinking he supported lgbt.

When gay marriage was finally a thing in the USA he was against it.

Trump gets to appoint a Supreme Court justice. Potentially up to 2-4 in total during his term if we're unlucky. The one he's guaranteed is being appointed with an explicit goal in mind: Overturning federal recognition of gay marriage to leave it to individual states. There's a solid 10-12 states or so that are going to immediately turn around and refuse to offer or even recognize gay marriage in any form.

On top of that Mike Pence is strongly in support for gay conversion camps. He's even tried to get federal funding for them and wants them to be mandatory for any LGBT person to attend.

Nezchan posted:

Um...Hillary isn't anti-gay. Maybe if you take same-sex marriage as the only LGBT issue, which isn't true by a long shot.

But hey, there's a LOT of propaganda out there about her that people accept uncritically, especially given the right's been attacking her for more than a decade.

She used to be anti-gay. Back when being pro-gay was a good way to harm your political career. And while her personal feelings might not have changed from that in the mean time (though who knows, maybe they have as well), as soon as people started leaning pro-LGBT she did as well which her opposition tries to claim is flip-flopping but actually isn't. It's merely a matter of her actually representing the views of her constituents. Flip-flopping would dictate that she flipped from anti-LGBT to pro-LGBT then reverted that decision.

9bdd23b1-1e6c-4540-bdac-7a7a8d9c3658
joined Jan 19, 2014

Oh my god! There has just been a huge train accident in Croydon, London! I fucking take that train home but I got on a different one today, Jesus ducking Christ I can't believe this. There have been some deaths and two people are currently trapped still. I pray for their safety and I'm so sorry for those families who lost people who were dear to them.

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 4:34PM

joined Mar 23, 2013

She used to be anti-gay. Back when being pro-gay was a good way to harm your political career.

Isn't Donald Trump the same?

I cannot know Hillary's and Donald's "real"/unfiltered stance on LGBT+ rights because I'm not in their head. But that doesn't really matter because politician mostly follow their party's stance.

He's been anti-LGBT because he can't be pro-LGBT while being a republican candidate, that's not going to work. Had he been even slightly pro-LGBT, the possibility of him not being nominated as the republican candidate would be pretty high.The gays are icky and spooky after all.

He even picked Mike Pence to appeal to the right wing religious crowd because they didn't believe he represent them enough. Donald Trump is no god fearing man so that's why Mike Pence was brought in. I'd wager a man like Mike Pence probably is disgusted by a man like Trump to be honest. I still remember the first interview they did together, that was some awkward stuff. Mike Pence following the script like a good little sheep.

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 5:19PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Evilnemesis posted:

He has pledged to appoint a Supreme Court justice to overturn gay marriage. There is no world where this is pro-LGBT. And even if he does actually believe differently, actions speak much louder than words.

And so far, from what I'm hearing about cabinet choices, basically everything people said about him not being anti-establishment or against corruption and so on is true. Plenty of big business people who only stand to lose if they do what he previously has said he'll do. There's also Newt Gingrich who's the candidate for Secretary of State. People who claimed Clinton was a warhawk feared that she would appoint him and for good reason. He's supported most of our bullshit wars in the past 20 years and in fact things we don't do enough. Trump claims to be against corruption yet one of his cabinet candidates is Chris Christie. A man facing corruption charges currently.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Evilnemesis posted:

He has pledged to appoint a Supreme Court justice to overturn gay marriage.

Ah, well then. I knew he had hardened his stance on LGBT because his earlier detractors mentioned the fact that he wasn't harsh enough. I didn't know it was that bad. I haven't followed the election diligently all the time so I'm sure I missed some things. Looks like things will get bumpy on that front.

There is no world where this is pro-LGBT. And even if he does actually believe differently, actions speak much louder than words.

And so far, from what I'm hearing about cabinet choices, basically everything people said about him not being anti-establishment or against corruption and so on is true. Plenty of big business people who only stand to lose if they do what he previously has said he'll do. There's also Newt Gingrich who's the candidate for Secretary of State. People who claimed Clinton was a warhawk feared that she would appoint him and for good reason. He's supported most of our bullshit wars in the past 20 years and in fact things we don't do enough.

Trump claims to be against corruption yet one of his cabinet candidates is Chris Christie. A man facing corruption charges currently.

Has he been formally charged, a google(quick) search doesn't reveal anything more than the 2 aides being convicted and the door being opened for the possibility to charge Christie.

We'll know how a Donald Trump presidency will play out once we know his cabinet. He knows next to nothing on a various amount of issues, the most important one being foreign policy.

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 5:50PM

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

I'm crestfallen today. Wondering what to do from here. A lot of positive work is about to be undone.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Evilnemesis posted:

Has he been formally charged, a google(quick) search doesn't reveal anything more than the 2 aides being convicted and the door being opened for the possibility to charge Christie.

The big issue here is that even if charges don't get brought against him he's at least as directly implicated in this incident as Clinton was in the emails one, if not actually more so. And for someone who claims to be going against corruption it makes Trump look very bad to even be considering someone who's facing such a controversy.

Kachinsky
joined Oct 12, 2016

Hey everyone. Today I learned that I was right. People are fucking stupid.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

captainfail posted:

Hey everyone. Today I learned that I was right. People are fucking stupid.

I'm just going to assume from now on that given two choices the people around me are going to go with the most blatantly idiotic one. Going to be a lot less stressful. If I'm right then I'll already be prepared for whatever comes and if I'm wrong I'll be pleasantly surprised and can relax a lot more.

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

So rather than stir the pot with political talk, I have a way more important announcement /sarcasm :

I FINALLY GOT A DESK CHAIR!

After so many weeks of sitting on my futon like 4 feet away or flatout sitting on the hardwood floor, I'm finally able to actually use the desk I have that holds my two monitors, speakers, keyboard, and mouse. Thank god for Goodwill. Some office's relocation or possible closure will not go in vein! Did I ever tell any of you guys I cobbled up a full suit (tie included) for less than $15 from stuff at Goodwill? I mean like an actual, interview-going suit. I have pictures to prove it. Just check it out on my twitter (@MattMasterMind... it's there somewhere). My mom also picked up some brand-new never used clogs for like $3.95 and we looked it up online and they cost like $119. Try to stay positive guys!

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 9:10PM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Agreed. Even though Hilary is terrible, Trump is racist to everyone who is not white.

America is supposed to be land of equal opportunity. Not a land of racism.

Anyways, good to see America killing itself here from Canada.

You're Canadian?

Nice, I just moved to the USA not long ago to be here for this shitshow...

Rip, best of luck

When I heard who was elected this morning.. I was like.. I mean, I couldn't even believe it.

I had 2 all-nighters for exams and slept through everything. When I woke up this morning and turned on the tv, I was pretty much in shock, I couldn't believe. It felt like a bad a dream. I legit texted ppl to ask if Trump legit won. Jesus. How?
As I am not a resident of the states, nor have I really gone outside today, how are things looking out there? Is everyone just behaving as usual, are they celebrating, are they ranting, are they scared? o-o
Since he actually won, and people actually voted for him, there must be some people who are happy, right? >_> All I've legit seen on social media, are people freaking out, or shaking their heads at the US.

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 9:18PM

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

either way we are doomed everyone, because lets say we "somehow" get Trump out of the way, his vice president is even worse than him. This country is doomed. Whats worse is that we were already not liked but progressively were getting better with national relations but I am afraid that now we will never be able to change that horrible image we had because of trump; in fact it will get worse. He is the leader of our country THE FACE of our country. What will other countries think of us when our leader literally stands for everything we dont believe in? I honestly see war world 3 coming soon. Instead of going forward we are heading backwards. Great choice America! neither of them deserved to be in command our country is full of idiots.

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

There are happy people. There are some reasons to be happy for everyone. The establishment candidate lost. He may get rid of TPP, stop the AT&T/Time Warner merger, break up the Comcast/NBC merger. Not everyone who voted for him is racist or bigoted (however, the side effect is that it is normalized now and pretty much anyone I see online playing video games seems to be) but instead want to see the middle class return and he promised them that. Whether he keeps the promises to the people who are happy, who knows, we will have to wait and see there.

I know it may sound harsh, but some people just don't care about other people or the environment when they are having trouble having their own ends meet. They want to feed their own family and actually do more than just live and work. They are happy because he spoke out to them.

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

There are happy people. There are some reasons to be happy for everyone. The establishment candidate lost. He may get rid of TPP, stop the AT&T/Time Warner merger, break up the Comcast/NBC merger. Not everyone who voted for him is racist or bigoted (however, the side effect is that it is normalized now and pretty much anyone I see online playing video games seems to be) but instead want to see the middle class return and he promised them that. Whether he keeps the promises to the people who are happy, who knows, we will have to wait and see there.

I know it may sound harsh, but some people just don't care about other people or the environment when they are having trouble having their own ends meet. They want to feed their own family and actually do more than just live and work. They are happy because he spoke out to them.

There are worst countries out there in worst conditions that are managing and have better common sense that America does right now and we are talking about a first world country here... shit tired of this country taking advantage of all of the benefit we had that other counties don't have. We should be bettering ourselves YES I agree but with the expense of what? Going back on everything this country stands and believes in? All the god damn blood and sweat from generations back to have equality, freedom, women's rights and LGBT rights as well as religious freedom and the most important thing of all community and togetherness NO MATTER the race. Literally we are going backwards instead of forward. Financial stability should not come in the expense of other people's lives nor other people's happiness. How the hell is discrimination and alienation the right way to go? Not everyone who voted for trump racist? Than why the hell would you vote for someone who descriminates other races and insults about everyone and their mother ? This is starting to sound like fucking war world 2 all over again we have our own hitler and half of these idiots don't even know it. I exaggerated but honestly I won't be surprise if people get killed for talking about about trump...

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 11:25PM

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

well I figured everyone is super depressed(me included) so I think it's best to remember a quote from one of my favorite video games"you must always remember that the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." I know the large majority of the people on this site aren't men but the point of the quote still stands

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 11:23PM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

you must always remember that the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Is that from Castlevania?
ーーーーーーーーーーーーー

Here's a song for everyone,

Hi

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 11:29PM

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

@Ushio, The states that flipped (Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio) all flipped because the people who went out to vote care about being able to feed their own family at the end of the day because they have a hard time doing that. They feel forgotten. To them that is priority one, and they have said, yeah he says some nasty things but we need him because he will fix the economy. (I don't think he will so they will then be even more upset and whoever the Democrats nominate, would have to capture that vote). Clinton said she would shutdown coal, so places where coal is big voted for Trump because he said dig, baby, dig.

Look at the Republican Party this cycle; they (most) sold out to win instead of standing on principles. Ted Cruz didn't endorse him, but then turned around because it was going to be suicide for his career.

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 11:31PM

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Agreed. Even though Hilary is terrible, Trump is racist to everyone who is not white.

America is supposed to be land of equal opportunity. Not a land of racism.

Anyways, good to see America killing itself here from Canada.

You're Canadian?

Yeah. I was never in politcs so i didn't care to look at any news of US election.

Turns out USA is now a living hell for homosexulas, black, mexicans, muslims and other foreign people.

I guess we are back in 1800s.

God bless Great America (obvious sarcasm)

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

you must always remember that the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

ーーーーーーーーーーーーー

Yep symphony of the night

Here's a song for everyone,

I have Another one that works well sadly just replace Astasia with America and it's crazy how well it fits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0leN2wB3gA

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 11:39PM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

ーーーーーーーーーーーーー

Called it :D

Your avatar kinda gave off that Castlevania vibe lol.

And speaking of Symphony of the Night… click me

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 11:44PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

yukito posted:

It might be in Castlevania as well but it's a quote that dates back much farther. I don't know the original source for certain but it stems back as far as the 1700s. It's commonly attributed to Edmund Burke.

Most specifically, as you can see in that entry, John Stuart Miller made the following quote in 1867:

Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

It might be in Castlevania as well but it's a quote that dates back much farther. I don't know the original source for certain but it stems back as far as the 1700s. It's commonly attributed to Edmund Burke.

Most specifically, as you can see in that entry, John Stuart Miller made the following quote in 1867:

Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.

Cool never knew that

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 11:45PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.