Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

984ee08ca42d308f9bdaa33a06c653e7
joined Dec 24, 2015

^ That actually sounds really interesting tbh XD

Ah ah! It is! You have no idea what I found XD

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ The significance that cats hold in some ancient cultures are rather interesting. One example would be the goddess Bastet back in Ancient Egypt, which is often depicted as a humanoid with a cat head; on that note, the ancient egyptians were particularly respectful of cats due to their association with the aforementioned goddess.

It is quite a nice topic to want to know more about, how cats are depicted in different cultures over the centuries.

Also, I just realized you joined 1 year after I did on the same day XD

Brawler? Brawler seemed fine when I played it.

Well apparently Brawler will be limited to 80% output compared to regular DPS class post-rework, compared to currently where Brawler is one of the stronger DPS classes while still tanking. But I'm guessing the 80% limit applies to tanks in general other than just 1 specific class; note that it doesn't mean the class is getting nerfed but rather everything else is getting buffed tremendously.

last edited at Oct 30, 2016 5:05AM

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

Thanks! It's from an old medieval book, I found it while searching for cat's representations through ages and countries! (like ancient Persia, Greece, China, Japan, Europe etc)....

That's what I thought it might be - considering the font, colors and ornamentation used^^ it does sound interesting! though, as far as I know, cats in Middle Ages were thought to be associated with the evil... I most sincerely hope that the cat in the picture doesn't take part in a story about persecutions of cats! :)

Btw I was flipping through a book by a Canadian author when I ran into an extract from the John Donne's flea poem, and I couldn't help getting reminded of Nez since she introduced me to his work a few months ago in the thread^^

last edited at Oct 30, 2016 6:15AM

O%20tyebye
joined Feb 15, 2016

^ Though it's unfortunate that you had to turn down the offer, I'm sure you'll find a new job offer eventually! ^ o ^

@Rina

Well, at the very least it will make finding the perfect job even more satisfying.

@ LittleSis

I hope you made the right decision ,and now you are in harmony with yourself :)
You deserve better than that!

Certainly you are not the luckiest person ever... Next time you have a job interview, I will let you borrow my own luck.. I'm curious to see if it will be any better.^^

@OlderSis

Well, I certain to feel much better with myself. I'd say that it's relieve that I feel right now.

I'm up for the offer^^ As a matter of fact I'll need it very soon, as I'm having another interview soon. Just received a call from another person. Let's hope it's gonna turn out much better.

Also, fully agreed on the fact that the perception of cats through the years is a fascinating topic.

Reading last Blackkitty's post has reminded me of The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe. Poor cat..

Nya
joined Nov 16, 2015

Wah... Sometimes I wish pressing the Next Ch. wouldn't be too random when you're reading a oneshot. It's like: Oh, this doujin has a lighthearted, touching story... and then when you press the next thing, an H doujin comes up. I'm fine with it but it's not good if that suddenly happens while your mom is behind you (Which almost just happened to me xD)

BAm! BAM! BAm! (And other onomatopoeia)
Spin the wheel of fortune right now and find out what story fate brings next!
spin spin spin spin spin
Ohoho~! We have an H doujin, with an added extra of your mom's presence!

For some reason, I find this comment weird....

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Ah, okay, when you said reworked, I thought you meant they'd change her playstyle. Nerfing his damage compared to the DPS classes makes sense.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

I swear, everytime I do the lvl 60 - 65 questline in TERA, I die a little bit inside.

Don't get me wrong, the overall story isn't that bad and the entire setup for the Archdevans and Lakan is interesting...but the cringeworthy one-sided crush side-plot that we're forced to help in order to progress the main story royally pisses me off, it's even more cringeworthy when said female character is already in love with another female character that died before the story

last edited at Oct 30, 2016 11:55AM

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

She's in love with another woman? I may or may not have completely skipped all kinds of story so I didn't know that. How did the side-plot end?

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ Zolyn, the Elin reaper searching for her princess (which the first cutscene in the entire questline clearly shows they had a relationship prior to this story), got turned into a mutated version of herself by the main antagonist and killed the Popori trying to court her throughout the entire questline - final shot after the obligatory mercy kill fight ends with said Popori moving over to grip her hand before finally dying; which the game tries to play as "tragic".

Not the best ending, but it's extremely satisfying to see that Popori get impaled with extreme prejudice, and plus side, Elins don't truly die anyways, their soul just gets remodelled into a new Elin and reborn from the Lake of Tears.

last edited at Oct 30, 2016 3:36PM

joined Dec 24, 2015

@Blackkitty
Well you see, in European middle age people were indeed afraid of cats, but most of these people kind of liked them, because they helped with mice and rats invasions, and well, like us today, some thought they were cute so they kept them. Also, if you look through books that were called "bestiaire", cat's depictions were pretty kind to them. So we get this kind of illustration, for example XD

@Rina
I know right, the relationship
between humanity and cats is really interesting, being so different among various civilisations ! I've also noticed that people from the east used to be kinder to cats than people from the west, for example!
I've been creeping around since 2014, but I'm super noob to the forum part, because I was too shy :3
Also, I didn't quote both of you, because I'm so noob I can't double quote with my phone
Ps : some of my phrases may sound weird, that's cause english isn't my first language, and I'm still learning, please don't let these weird phrases bother you :3

last edited at Nov 2, 2016 2:48PM

Last-game-4122039
joined Mar 14, 2016

There is a belief: "Hitting a cat on the head causes shaky hands."

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Black cat is unlucky and it crossing your path will bring you bad luck. First pagan superstition that comes to mind.

Last-game-4122039
joined Mar 14, 2016

Also, raising tricolor cats gives you good lucks.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Black cat is unlucky and it crossing your path will bring you bad luck. First pagan superstition that comes to mind.

Is that even a pagan superstition, given the "bad luck" comes from their association with witches?

Last-game-4122039
joined Mar 14, 2016

Black cat is unlucky and it crossing your path will bring you bad luck.

How to prevent it from crossing your path though?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

oliver posted:

How to prevent it from crossing your path though?

I guess at best you can try to out-run it or something, but usually it happens before you can do anything so you are doomed (or don't give a fuck, as I do).

Nezchan posted:

Is that even a pagan superstition, given the "bad luck" comes from their association with witches?

Idk how "black cats bringing bad luck because they are associated with witches" doesn't count as superstition, but considering that I heard it countless times as one of our old superstitions, I'm more than sure that it counts. Also I never once heard about their connection to witches, so it just shows how much its superstition-ness become a common knowledge.

last edited at Oct 30, 2016 4:29PM

Last-game-4122039
joined Mar 14, 2016

@Nevri

I guess at best you can try to out-run it or something, but usually it happens before you can do anything so you are doomed (or don't give a fuck, as I do).

I see. But It's okay anyway since that one superstition doesn't exist in my country.

joined Dec 24, 2015

The link between black cats and witches more or less came from middle age France (you know, this happy time where the Inquisition burned books, wolves, cats and people and lots of other things) because the Church said that witches had bounds with the Devil and cats too, because their eyes glowed in the dark, so they were considered evil. In short : witches = devil, cats = devil, witches=cats=bad=superstition, yay

last edited at Oct 31, 2016 11:54AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan posted:

Idk how "black cats bringing bad luck because they are associated with witches" doesn't count as superstition, but considering that I heard it countless times as one of our old superstitions, I'm more than sure that it counts. Also I never once heard about their connection to witches, so it just shows how much its superstition-ness become a common knowledge.

I didn't mean it's not a superstition, I mean it's not pagan. It was largely a superstition among Christians, who were afraid of evil Pagans/Witches who were, of course, in league with the (also Christian) Devil.

last edited at Oct 30, 2016 6:47PM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

@Pata Wonder what would've happened if they saw wolves lol...or dogs :p

I've been creeping around since 2014, but I'm super noob to the forum part, because I was too shy :3

Ah, I see. Kinda the same case here, I only just started posting this year lol.

Ps : some of my phrases may sound weird, that's cause english isn't my first language, and I'm still learning, please don't let these weird phrases bother you :3

It's okay ^ _ ^ everyone has to start somewhere lol, take your time!

last edited at Oct 30, 2016 6:47PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

@Pata Wonder what would've happened if they saw wolves lol...or dogs :p

Werewolves, Black Shuck, the Barghest, beliefs that wolves were created by the Devil rather than God, Fenrir, and of course the Black Dog that inspired Hound Of the Baskervilles, plus lots of others.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ I don't even know half of those things lol XD

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

^ I don't even know half of those things lol XD

The joy of learning! Get ye to a Google!

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

A few special All Hallows Eve gifts to everyone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggxUwsaKCD4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUhuPn8_d0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnNWUUZ7cEA

last edited at Oct 31, 2016 12:00AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.