Forum › Is it alright to read yuri even though you're straight?

joined Mar 23, 2013

I was speaking of lesbian romance as whole compared to it's counterpart. It feels like it's never taken seriously by the masses. But you probably have a more in depth understanding of this than me. From an outsiders point of view that's how I see it.

I find it mildly amusing when I see two groups both convinced there side got the shorter end of the stick when it comes to representation. Don't get where the sides came from though, I just see them some times.

Well history shows that there's always a winner and a loser.

@Choco, maybe it was but I did not care to find out more posts so I could gauge the blogger's personality. It's a lot of work for clicking a link in the first place.

Am I Choco? Yay, I got a nickname for sake of convenience, this is the greatest day of my life!

Feels good to be lazy.

And having read the rest of the comments, he sounds like one of those defensive Catholics, who feel disagreeing with them is an assault on their beliefs.

I had a feeling about him, the words he choosed and all.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I'm more interested in romance and how it's told, than in girl-on-girl-is-hot. I found myself thinking quite often that some of the pieces here would have been better without NSFW.

In addition to relating, I think yuri romance offers more feels and food for thought.

This is more or less my view on the subject too. Though I'm not against reading het or yaoi if it's actually decent and there's more to it than just sex. I don't mind sex scenes and fan service in my mangas so long as it doesn't feel forced.

This.

I read and enjoyed Kimi ni Todoke and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, for example, even though they are het, and there isn't a shred of sex, because the romance and the characters are interesting and it gives good feels.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

@Choco, maybe it was but I did not care to find out more posts so I could gauge the blogger's personality. It's a lot of work for clicking a link in the first place.

Am I Choco? Yay, I got a nickname for sake of convenience, this is the greatest day of my life!

Feels good to be lazy.

So, so good.

And having read the rest of the comments, he sounds like one of those defensive Catholics, who feel disagreeing with them is an assault on their beliefs.

I had a feeling about him, the words he choosed and all.

I say we burn him, then he'll learn.

This.

I read and enjoyed Kimi ni Todoke and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, for example, even though they are het, and there isn't a shred of sex, because the romance and the characters are interesting and it gives good feels.

In theory I don't mind het, but when in practice I'm always going 'what a waste...'

So yeah, het delenda est.

Yaoi I'm okay with. It is an ally.

last edited at May 5, 2015 3:23PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm more interested in romance and how it's told, than in girl-on-girl-is-hot. I found myself thinking quite often that some of the pieces here would have been better without NSFW.

In addition to relating, I think yuri romance offers more feels and food for thought.

This is more or less my view on the subject too. Though I'm not against reading het or yaoi if it's actually decent and there's more to it than just sex. I don't mind sex scenes and fan service in my mangas so long as it doesn't feel forced.

This.

Yeah, I love Adachi Mitsuru's stuff which is het but cute as hell, and Mainichi Seitan which is yaoi but has respect for the characters' intelligence and doesn't really get rapey (or big-handey either).

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Adachi is the master of sports+romance manga. I think I learned about the thing called Baseball because of Touch.

And about yaoi, I find the whole "balance of power" thing between the characters (seme x uke) annoying and it's difficult to find some without.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Adachi is the master of sports+romance manga. I think I learned about the thing called Baseball because of Touch.

And about yaoi, I find the whole "balance of power" thing between the characters (seme x uke) annoying and it's difficult to find some without.

I like Katsu a lot more than Touch, which feels kinda dated. But if you want to stick with baseball, Cross Game is really good.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

I was speaking of lesbian romance as whole compared to it's counterpart. It feels like it's never taken seriously by the masses. But you probably have a more in depth understanding of this than me. From an outsiders point of view that's how I see it.

I find it mildly amusing when I see two groups both convinced there side got the shorter end of the stick when it comes to representation. Don't get where the sides came from though, I just see them some times.

Yuri vs Yaoi ? Guess it might depends on where you looking, but when I went in Japan, a few years ago, I was looking forward to get my hands on some yuri books. Went to an awful lot of book stores and soon noticed that if yuri had a couple dedicated shelves at best, yaoi had whole rows dedicated to it.

And that's just talking about books and mangas. If you want to include doujinshi, yaoi had stores with whole floors dedicated to it. And I'm talking about regular stores in Akihabara, not some hard to find small store that you can only find if you know where to look.

So yeah, Yaoi did seem to have a much wider visibility than yuri. Not saying there was no yuri, just that it was generally harder to find and easier to miss than the whole BL stuff.

joined Mar 23, 2013

I enjoy a few BL mangas. There was one I really liked which had an age gap. Older man digging some 20s student of some sort who was sort of intellectual and naive. Which was why he felt like he should not pursue a relationship with him. The older man lived in one of those japanese style houses with a big backyard. It wasn't finished when I first read it and now I can't remember it's name.

Oh well, maybe I'll do a search or something. It had heart and was a decent slow romance for BL.

I could never get into Adachi, aside from the same face I just can't pinpoint really why I can't seem to finish readin his work. I always stop.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I hope Yuri_girl was satisfied with our answers.

last edited at May 5, 2015 4:28PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I'm a straight mexican guy and I'm certainly not picky about the stuff I read. People around me would ccertainly object but whatever, I read what I want.

As for why I read yuri/trap/whatever multiple of factors involved. A big one isout of boredom from the usual stuff. Romance stories everywhere have been quite formulaic for a time now, another obvious one is that I like girls so seeing two girls making each other happy is a huge pro of the genre.

Ejej
joined Aug 24, 2014

Hey, I'm a lesbian and I like Het. I don't think it's a matter of what your sexual orientation is when it comes to reading oneshots or manga: if it's good I'll read it. Toradora! and Himegoto Juukyuusai are some of the best manga I've ever read. I just read more yuri because I can relate to it better :P. Yuri is for all!!

Except for Kampher. Don't read that.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Hey, I'm a lesbian and I like Het. I don't think it's a matter of what your sexual orientation is when it comes to reading oneshots or manga: if it's good I'll read it. Toradora! and Himegoto Juukyuusai are some of the best manga I've ever read. I just read more yuri because I can relate to it better :P. Yuri is for all!!

Except for Kampher. Don't read that.

B-but I like Kämpfer...

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I like Katsu a lot more than Touch, which feels kinda dated. But if you want to stick with baseball, Cross Game is really good.

Touch is really old yeah. I didn't say it was my favorite, but it's the one that made him famous I think.

And I've already read Cross Game, but somehow, it's the same feel than Touch, so sometimes I find he repeats himself.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

And that's just talking about books and mangas. If you want to include doujinshi, yaoi had stores with whole floors dedicated to it. And I'm talking about regular stores in Akihabara, not some hard to find small store that you can only find if you know where to look.

Fujoshis have a tremendous buying power.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Fujoshis have a tremendous buying power.

Where does it come from? I need some of this money...

Download
joined Dec 24, 2014

well, that was a lot of comments. i didn't think that a lot of people would mind this question. after having a good nights rest, i really did think that it was somehow stupid of me to ask that question..hahah maybe i was just confused or something.:D

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

well, that was a lot of comments. i didn't think that a lot of people would mind this question. after having a good nights rest, i really did think that it was somehow stupid of me to ask that question..hahah maybe i was just confused or something.:D

Confused hehehehehe, I'm a troll.

A troll with beer in it.

last edited at May 5, 2015 8:03PM

Download
joined Dec 24, 2014

well, i think this is another stupid question but, what's a troll? i'm kind of uhhh... young here??, so kinda don't know some words..

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

well, i think this is another stupid question but, what's a troll? i'm kind of uhhh... young here??, so kinda don't know some words..

I say mean things for... no reason.

I was just playing with you saying confused regarding something other than your sexuality, then making it sound like it was about that.

Because I'm mean, tehehehe.

*Everyone at Paradox is a good example of a troll. They are terrible people.

last edited at May 5, 2015 8:12PM

Download
joined Dec 24, 2014

ahhh...now i know.lols.. i understand. well, i'm still young and innocent(who reads yuri)..hahaha lol

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

ahhh...now i know.lols.. i understand. well, i'm still young and innocent(who reads yuri)..hahaha lol

If you consider yourself innocent, and prize this, then I would have to advise avoiding the internet as much as possible. Here be the death of that trait.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

If you consider yourself innocent, and prize this, then I would have to advise avoiding the internet as much as possible. Here be the death of that trait.

Didn't take much time for me to lose that trait...

last edited at May 5, 2015 8:25PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

8 year old ChocolateCakeLover*

Wow, your going to let me use google daddy!

... What's Boku no Pico?

*I made up the age, this isn't a true story. I lost my innocence at my Uncles.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

8 year old ChocolateCakeLover*

Wow, your going to let me use google daddy!

... What's Boku no Pico?

*I made up the age, this isn't a true story. I lost my innocence at my Uncles.

Nowadays I'm the uncle that want to take others innocence, but let's not talk about that...

last edited at May 5, 2015 8:28PM

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Yeah, let's not.

To reply you must either login or sign up.