Forum › If You Could See Love discussion

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

I'm not sure why people thought this would be poly? It's been very clear it's a love triangle for awhile now. Not once did the story feel like it was ever going in that route outside of the one scene, which was dropped and forgotten about.

last edited at Jan 13, 2022 7:36PM

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

Honestly disappointing. There are very few poly manga so going the safe route kinda makes me want to drop this. The power angle, you know the whole unique premise of the manga, also seems to have been handled lamely too. It’s a shame, this had real promise for a while. Now it’s just boring and standard.

I couldn't disagree more than I already do

Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

I'm happy the childhood friend won in this one :')

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I'm not sure why people thought this would be poly? It's been very clear it's a love triangle for awhile now. Not once did the story feel like it was ever going in that route outside of the one scene, which was dropped and forgotten about.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Besides the teacher scene setting it up as an option, which why would that be placed like that otherwise, the scene of Rinna developing a small arrow for Sayo after their accidental kiss is also pretty suggestive. Again, it doesn't make much sense to have that there if it were a simple love triangle.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Well, that was disappointing. Back to searching for a satisfying poly ending elsewhere I guess.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

i do feel bad for rinna, and the poly ending if correctly executed could ´ve been a refreshing take on the love triangle cliche but honestly, seeing sayo happy makes everything worth it,

im a sucker for the childhood friend trope so take this with a grain of salt

last edited at Jan 13, 2022 10:59PM

11143587_983945991615710_6019435042284427906_n
joined Jan 29, 2015

Hmm so its sayomei, i dont mind, cause now rinna is mine huehuehuehue

Hikamaru%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

I can see why many people thought this manga was foreshadowing a poly relationship because I thought the same at one point too but it wasn't. It was just the author exposing Mei to another type of relationship like the other early chapters were doing. It was used to help her better understand differenttypes of love. This could also be the reason they they gave Sayo and Rinna a different type of arrow for Mei. They both love her but have a different type of relationship and love for her.

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

Everyone forgetting that page with arrows between the two love interests. Yeah it was only once and the plotline was dropped but acting as if "She saw multiple kinds of relationships none of it was foreshadowing" is disingenuous. Rinna and Sayo were presented as equals until it suddenly started to rush towards sayo. She kinda like both, visited the teachers and saw this is possible and the two girls had an arrow growing between each other. There's no such thing as "poly was never hinted at" lol. It was going towards it until it was dropped

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Everyone forgetting that page with arrows between the two love interests. Yeah it was only once and the plotline was dropped but acting as if "She saw multiple kinds of relationships none of it was foreshadowing" is disingenuous. Rinna and Sayo were presented as equals until it suddenly started to rush towards sayo. She kinda like both, visited the teachers and saw this is possible and the two girls had an arrow growing between each other. There's no such thing as "poly was never hinted at" lol. It was going towards it until it was dropped

People are confusing “going towards it” with “keeping it on the table.” Poly was certainly raised as a possibility, but that could have been intended just to keep the audience guessing or to keep one option open on an endgame that hadn’t yet been decided.

Any romantic connection between Sayo and Rinna was very weakly set up in a panel or two and quickly dropped, and the entire main theme of Mei resisting all romantic love undercuts a poly ending—so what?, she has a breakthrough to loving one person and then she’s like, “Ah, what the hell? Might as well go for two!”

(And to go from where we are now to the equivalent of the sensei ménage in single chapter would be the epitome of a rush job.)

joined Dec 11, 2021

Well at the end it will just end as another cliche triangle love with one of them out. This manga had the potential to be a great manga for the "poly" genre tbh. I know there are some of you who dislike the poly route but this is my opinion. We clearly see a rushed manga towards the closest one to Mei who is Sayo. There were sometimes contradictions like Mei thinking that her love for Rinna was friendship but later she says she loves Sayo but also Rinna and cant choose one. After reading the manga for a second time I was able to see that the sudden change began with the date at the amusement park. Make me think what was the purpose of the accidental kiss cause we saw an arrow from Rinna to Sayo and this is what made some to think of the possibility of a poly end but then the author just got rid of that arrow, or the panel where Mei stated that she wants to be with both forever, and that having both of them around is really nice and peaceful. Some of you said that Rinna's love was just admiration but in the chapter where they met Akane, Rinna stated that at the beginning she didnt know about her feelings but the more time she spent with Sayo and Mei, the stronger her love for Mei became, she confessed to her and she said again how strong her love was. Chapter 14.1 was kinda difficult to understand cause Mei said she is in love with Sayo but also with Rinna which is what she mentioned before, and she cant choose one being afraid of her past and almost taking the decision to not choose one of them. Sadly since the author took the decision of the mono route, we saw Rinna sacrificing her love for both sakes Mei and Sayo since Rinna noticed that the relation of those two were closer and stronger than the one of Mei and Rinna.
Aww man I really like the 3 characters that's why I wanted the 3p route cause I was gonna feel bad for the one who's gonna stay as a friend.
⌒ヾ( ̄〓 ̄ヾ
I thinking about what would be Rinna's behaviour towards Mei since she usually says she loves so much Mei, it makes me wonder what would be the relation between Sayo and Rinna since Sayo knew Rinna was also in love with Mei. They are not gonna be together forever after all as Mei wanted, they will continue as roommates and when graduating it will the goodbye time for Rinna. Chances that we will see Rinna being part of the relationship are 0 but chances that the author is gonna paired Akane and Rinna are there tho I never saw love interest other than friendship between them. And finally, at then end the author will never explained the different type of the arrow tho some of them were easy to figure them out.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So how are people defining "poly," here anyway? Is there a distinction between "complete polyamory," where all three people are equally in love with each other (like the sensei x 2 + stylist trio), and a "trio harem" around Mei, where both Sayo and Rinna are in love with Mei, who loves them back, and Sayo and Rinna, although not completely in love with one another, are fond enough of each other to go along with both loving Mei?

Because I think the poly fans are seriously underestimating the romantic and narrative complexities of the poly endgame--if a standard relationship requires two mutually directed "pink arrows," adding another person doesn't double the arrow workload, it triples it.

joined Dec 11, 2021

So how are people defining "poly," here anyway? Is there a distinction between "complete polyamory," where all three people are equally in love with each other (like the sensei x 2 + stylist trio), and a "trio harem" around Mei, where both Sayo and Rinna are in love with Mei, who loves them back, and Sayo and Rinna, although not completely in love with one another, are fond enough of each other to go along with both loving Mei?

Because I think the poly fans are seriously underestimating the romantic and narrative complexities of the poly endgame--if a standard relationship requires two mutually directed "pink arrows," adding another person doesn't double the arrow workload, it triples it.

Poly is basically love between the 3 of them just as you saw with the teachers. Since Mei said she loves both sayo and Rinna, and those two where in love with Mei, and the fact that the author added a scene where Sayo and Rinna accidentally kiss well most of the readers thought this was gonna go in a polyamory route where Mei was gonna have development with Sayo and Rinna and then just Rinna and Sayo to complete the shared love. To summary the poly would have been Mei loves Rinna and Sayo, Sayo loves both Mei and Rinna, and Rinna loves Sayo and Mei but of course never happened. If this was gonna be a mono route I would have prefer Rinna as a supporting character to be honest cause let's be honest it is sad that she wont have a the happy ending she wanted. Most likely the author is gonna paired her with Akane to give her "her happy ending" but yea

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I don't generally care much about poly, and I even find it annoying at times, when people keep saying how they were disappointed by a story with a love triangle not having a poly ending, when nothing suggested the poly ending even as a possibility. However, I have to admit that I was kind of surprised with the turn things took here. (btw, I binge read this today, so my sense of the time line might be a bit blurry).

I don't think that meeting the teachers would necessarily be foreshadowing anything, but I have to admit that the whole "accidental kiss" thing (which is already a pretty ridiculous trope in and of itself) feels completely useless with this kind of ending. I mean, why would you even insert something silly like that if it's not gonna affect the story in the end...? I don't understand the author's choices there. I suppose Rinna's little arrow after that wasn't really used to indicate a start of something between those two then; which I guess is understandable, since there have been multiple occasions when Rinna has had little arrows pointing towards other people. I just don't understand why the author felt the need to include that whole thing in the first place...? Was it really to "keep the audience guessing", as someone said above?

I'm honestly kind of surprised with how unsatisfied I feel with this ending, since I'm usually all for the childhood friend. This might have been the one time when I was actually rooting for a poly ending (and felt that it would feel natural if the author progressed things towards that), even counting works that actually had poly endings lol. Well, whatever. I'm slightly disappointed I guess, but Rinna seems like she'd be able to find someone else in the future and Sayo is super cute, so it's fine.

Most likely the author is gonna paired her with Akane to give her "her happy ending" but yea

I don't think so. Akane has already been shown to have a different form of love towards her fans. I feel like if that actually happens I'm gonna be even more disappointed hahaha

last edited at Jan 14, 2022 7:10PM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Any romantic connection between Sayo and Rinna was very weakly set up in a panel or two and quickly dropped...

I think that's the biggest problem, it was simply dropped. The arrow and the (accidental yet very real) kiss could have and, in my opinion, should have led to the two of them getting closer to one another on a basis that is more than just Mei's existence (and I believe there were more opportunities for that,) but it was dropped like it was nothing; the potential was there, the narrative opening into the possibility was there. I wouldn't necessarily tie that to the teacher's romantic dynamic, but hot-damn does the timing and p(l)acing seem intentional. Maybe the author was testing the waters of whatever sea they'd like to navigate the ship through, or something like that.

On another note, I've spent a good chunk of my day catching up on Watanare's manga adaptation, which is another work by Teren Mikami, and honestly, I can't say I'm the biggest fan of theirs, or rather, the way their stories are constructed. Like honestly, the fluff both in this series and in Watanare is absolutely fantastic as are the character dynamics. Not gonna go to into too long a tangent, but I feel that there's a lot of forced contrivances and forced shoddy in-universe logic and some simply interesting to "why is that even needed" type of decisions in plotline/character developments, and those appear very glaringly in both mentioned series.

last edited at Jan 14, 2022 6:03PM

joined Dec 11, 2021

I don't generally care much about poly, and I even find it annoying at times, when people keep saying how they were disappointed by a story with a love triangle not having a poly ending, when nothing suggested the poly ending even as a possibility. However, I have to admit that I was kind of surprised with the take things took here. (btw, I binge read this today, so my sense of the time line might be a bit blurry).

I don't think that meeting the teachers would necessarily be foreshadowing anything, but I have to admit that the whole "accidental kiss" thing (which is already a pretty ridiculous trope in and of itself) feels completely useless with this kind of ending. I mean, why would you even insert something silly like that if it's not gonna affect the story in the end...? I don't understand the author's choices there. I suppose Rinna's little arrow after that wasn't really used to indicate a start of something between those two then; which I guess is understandable, since there have been multiple occasions when Rinna has had little arrows pointing towards other people. I just don't understand why the author felt the need to include that whole thing in the first place...? Was it really to "keep the audience guessing", as someone said above?

I'm honestly kind of surprised with how unsatisfied I feel with this ending, since I'm usually all for the childhood friend. This might have been the one time when I was actually rooting for a poly ending (and felt that it would feel natural if the author progressed things towards that), even counting works that actually had poly endings lol. Well, whatever. I'm slightly disappointed I guess, but Rinna seems like she'd be able to find someone else in the future and Sayo is super cute, so it's fine.

There were hints of a possiblity of a poly ending but not at 100% and something that didnt make sense. All what I want is a happy ending for Rinna now since it doesnt make sense now to discuss cause nothing will change. Dont get me wrong I like this ending(if Rinna has it too) but a poly would have been a refresh from those plenty of love triangle manga out there

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Rinna needs to do something about that “dog-ears” hairstyle if she ever wants to find true
happiness.

joined Dec 11, 2021

Rinna needs to do something about that “dog-ears” hairstyle if she ever wants to find true
happiness.

Bro can you differ a dog and a cat? ಠ_ಠ

last edited at Jan 14, 2022 6:35PM

212876479_179466137534016_1538538010068516130_n
joined Sep 11, 2021

this is the end? or the manga continues?

joined Dec 11, 2021

Author said chapters 15 are the last one.

212876479_179466137534016_1538538010068516130_n
joined Sep 11, 2021

Author said chapters 15 are the last one.

oh wow so sad

joined Oct 31, 2021

I have the feeling this manga got rushed and wasn't mean to be like this, it developed slowly and well for like 10 chapters and all solved in the 2 last ones is kinda... I wanted the poly ending to be honest

joined Dec 11, 2021

I have the feeling this manga got rushed and wasn't mean to be like this, it developed slowly and well for like 10 chapters and all solved in the 2 last ones is kinda... I wanted the poly ending to be honest

Yea, tho some guys here disagreed that was always going to the mono route, there were hints that this was gonna be poly. This manga had potential for a wholesome poly route. Thought it was gonna be a refresh from those plenty of love triangle manga out there but its gonna end as of one of them. The author is working in other manga so I think just wanted to rushed axed and get rid of it to focus on the other works

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

:/ dissapointed

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

I completely read the mc as a poly girl, so i'm confused abt why they had to make her choose between the two of her love interests

To reply you must either login or sign up.