Forum › Liberty discussion

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

i dont remember what led up to this and I don't think i even want to remember reading the comments

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The author actually chose the horseback riding as one of her good memories, I can't even

Ikr? That was one of my favorite parts, along with whatever was happening with the edge of Jasmin's sleeves on that t-shirt which should just be tacky but which she's kind of rocking.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/liberty_ch19#11

last edited at Nov 27, 2021 9:24AM

joined Jun 6, 2021

The friend's height and weight seems to have fluctuated a fair amount since her initial introduction:

Recent changes were probably in preparation for the latest development. (With Tsucchi in her original form, hugging by Maki and Tsucchi would be presumptively discounted as an expression of romance.) And that, in turn, reinforces the impression that the mangaka have not been plotting very far ahead.

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

this stuff just makes less and less sense each time
its so melodramatic. the running back to the lover you spurned just to see them with someone else (misunderstanding or not) is so overdone now, stories should seek to subvert the trope imo otherwise the author looks like they aren't very self-aware

joined Jun 6, 2021

I'm gonna go back to reading Hana ni arashi

Are those two dating? Do their friends know?

joined Apr 5, 2021

My first thought was “justice!” But then I realized Liz never has any real consequences. So I guess it’s time for her to tell her sad back story, then get her girl back.

last edited at Nov 27, 2021 10:03AM

joined Dec 21, 2016

That's not Tsucchi at the end. Tsucchi has longer hair, is chubby and doesn't work with Maki. She's probably just a colleague of Maki.

joined Jun 6, 2021

That's not Tsucchi at the end. Tsucchi has longer hair, is chubby and doesn't work with Maki. She's probably just a colleague of Maki.

Nope. It's Tsucchi. She's much changed from her original form; but it's Tsucchi.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

IS THE TASTE OF YOUR OWN MEDICINE BITTER, LIZ?!

The fact the bottom panel here was used to demonstrate their deep and emotional bond certainly makes me smile. Keep it up, Tomoko, 10/10.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Nope. It's Tsucchi. She's much changed from her original form; but it's Tsucchi.

An interesting conundrum--it's true that Tsucchi's long hair is ordinarily emphasized to a greater degree than we see in the Mystery Back Hugger, although the length of the hair could just be out of sight under her scarf and coat.

On the other hand, that hair-bow is certainly Tsucchi's style, but more importantly who else could it be?

We haven't seen any work colleague of Maki's who would be so intimate with her, have we?

Would the writer be so incompetent as to introduce some random person just to manufacture fake drama?

(LOL Sometimes I crack myself up.)

joined Dec 21, 2016

An interesting conundrum--it's true that Tsucchi's long hair is ordinarily emphasized to a greater degree than we see in the Mystery Back Hugger, although the length of the hair could just be out of sight under her scarf and coat.

On the other hand, that hair-bow is certainly Tsucchi's style, but more importantly who else could it be?

We haven't seen any work colleague of Maki's who would be so intimate with her, have we?

Would the writer be so incompetent as to introduce some random person just to manufacture fake drama?

(LOL Sometimes I crack myself up.)

They're right outside Maki's workplace and we already know Tsucchi works somewhere else. We've also seen from chapter 17 that Tsucchi doesn't hide her long hair under the coat and that she wears gothic boots. Also, you can clearly see the short hair of the mysterious back hugger in page 19 and 20. She's just a random they added to create additional drama.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Apparently the people buying the manga have not rebelled. So is the issue competence? or a simple lack of incentive to do better?

I'm reminded on the one hand of the revival of Jason Todd, after readers very literally paid to have him killed; and, on the other hand, of some of what I've heard and read about willful inconsistency in soap operas.

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

Please be in a relationship with the one you love and the one who loves you <33

Please maki just move on and find someone who can treat you right omfg. I'm also hoping you will slap Liz <333
Even if they get together again, the relationship won't work WBDCBWCWCW

joined Dec 21, 2016

Apparently the people buying the manga have not rebelled. So is the issue competence? or a simple lack of incentive to do better?

I'm reminded on the one hand of the revival of Jason Todd, after readers very literally paid to have him killed; and, on the other hand, of some of what I've heard and read about willful inconsistency in soap operas.

It's Kitta Izumi's first manga and she likes stories full of drama.

joined Jun 6, 2021

she likes stories full of drama.

That's orthogonal to the question. A story could be carefully and realistically plotted to have lots of drama; it could be slapped together and have no drama. Here it is slapped together with lots of drama; maybe it's slapped together because she couldn't do any better, but maybe it's slapped together because she doesn't feel any need to do better.

last edited at Nov 27, 2021 10:55AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

They're right outside Maki's workplace and we already know Tsucchi works somewhere else. We've also seen from chapter 17 that Tsucchi doesn't hide her long hair under the coat and that she wears gothic boots. Also, you can clearly see the short hair of the mysterious back hugger in page 19 and 20. She's just a random they added to create additional drama.

The workplace thing is not dispositive--we've seen Tsucchi haul Maki around places, and she could plausibly have met up with Maki at her workplace in order to comfort her friend. But the hair/shoe thing is much more convincing, and if that is Tsucchi, the artist is intentionally muting/disguising her characteristics in order to set up the faux-cliffhanger.

So I'm now inclined to think that you're right. Since a quick flip-through of the rest of the series doesn't show anybody remotely suitable to be this back-hugging co-worker, that means the writer has conjured up another character out of thin air simply in order to:

A) create a bog-standard misunderstanding (Liz turns away, Maki spots her and chases after her to explain It's Not What It Looks Like, and then probably apologizes to Liz. Bonus points if Liz then slaps Maki.)

B) actually introduce an entirely new character who has the hots for Maki and Wants Her to Be Happy (with Her), creating a whole Maki Starts a New Life arc, until Maki realizes that Liz, yadda yadda yada.

Either way, we remain in Yuri Manga Hell.

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

The author actually chose the horseback riding as one of her good memories, I cant even

I started laughing when I saw that

joined Jun 6, 2021

(Liz turns away, Maki spots her and chases after her to explain It's Not What It Looks Like, and then probably apologizes to Liz. Bonus points if Liz then slaps Maki.)

Probably too quick. More likely Liz slips away, we learn that Ms Whoever is just a friend, Liz does something self-destructive, and then G_d-knows-what because the mangaka want to keep this fire burning.

joined Sep 6, 2015

It's Kitta Izumi's first manga and she likes stories full of drama.

Pretty much. She just writes what she likes. Think of her as being Kodama, only without the writing competence that Kodama actually has. They are both into soap opera dorama and cute grills with awful personalities. The difference is that Kodama makes her characterisations nuanced and well fleshed out, while Tomoko just goes for the random approach (Liz being a tragic sociopath because she was dumped in high school, and Maki being the biggest doormat God ever put on this green earth for no reason whatsoever).

That said, the combination of awful characters and awful writing is something that I grew to like with this mango, lmao! Took me a while, because the first chapters were pretty decent and basically nothing like the rest of this story, so the whiplash of the change made me dislike it at first, but over time it grew on me.

I think this would have gotten a more faithful audience if Tomoko presented what the story would be right at the beginning. Soap opera dorama and beautiful yet awful grills are good selling points, even the bad writing creates some rather hilarious scenes in hindsight. It is basically Kodama, but with the brain turned off. Good stuff.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Good, personally I hope it is too late. But given the haircolor I imagine it's just a relative or something

last edited at Nov 27, 2021 11:09AM

joined Sep 6, 2015

she likes stories full of drama.

That's orthogonal to the question. A story could be carefully and realistically plotted to have lots of drama; it could be slapped together and have no drama. Here it is slapped together with lots of drama; maybe it's slapped together because she couldn't do any better, but maybe it's slapped together because she doesn't feel any need to do better.

It is slapped together because she is an inexperienced writer, this being literally her debut. It is full of dorama because she likes dorama.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

(Liz turns away, Maki spots her and chases after her to explain It's Not What It Looks Like, and then probably apologizes to Liz. Bonus points if Liz then slaps Maki.)

Probably too quick. More likely Liz slips away, we learn that Ms Whoever is just a friend, Liz does something self-destructive, and then G_d-knows-what because the mangaka want to keep this fire burning.

The Yuri Manga Hell judges will accept this hypothesis.

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

Ah, she resolve a problem to enter in a misurstanding.
But that famous lady is so an estereotype

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

its so melodramatic. the running back to the lover you spurned just to see them with someone else (misunderstanding or not) is so overdone now, stories should seek to subvert the trope imo otherwise the author looks like they aren't very self-aware

It's pretty much standard shoujo manga narrative. It's done all the time in manga for little girls, and sometimes in manga for adult women too (like this one is supposed to be). It's not especially good or bad, just formulaic.

Wow this story truly gets only negative reviews huh. It's almost funny how much everyone hates this one.

Yeah I'm already used to being the only one who likes it. Makes me feel like a cool rebel. You know, the one who says "no you move" when the world tells you to move and stuff.

Reminds me of the time long ago when I used to write comments in fanfiction forums to review stories about series I liked. I usually was the only one who actually liked Mary Sue fanfics.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think this would have gotten a more faithful audience if Tomoko presented what the story would be right at the beginning. Soap opera dorama and beautiful yet awful grills are good selling points, even the bad writing creates some rather hilarious scenes in hindsight. It is basically Kodama, but with the brain turned off. Good stuff.

This seems pretty accurate, with the caveat that Kodama's brain and art chops are what make Kodama's works palatable in the first place.

It's the difference between readers saying, "I'm getting invested in these terrible characters despite myself" and "There's an inverse relationship between how much this mangaka assumes I'm invested in these characters and how much I actually care about them."

To reply you must either login or sign up.