Forum › Otherside Picnic discussion

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Sometimes I have this urge of slapping Toriko no matter how much I like her. I just want them to stop and just go to the yuri romance route instead

Don’t worry, the yuri is coming. . . Eventually. . . We’re like, half way there. . .

Do you know which chapter?
Personally I don't mind spoilers here because I like the manga formatting way more than the LN, so when the manga catches up (after 3 years :D) it will be refreshing to see it drawn too.
Yuri aside, I think this story is underrated though.

We are currently at the beginning of “Case File 8.” The specific moment I’m thinking of is at the end of Case File 15, where Toriko starts making out with Sorawo to calm her down after some real freaky shit. Like I_am_nemo said earlier, it kinda gets gradually more romantic as the story progresses, but I consider the make-out session to be sorta the point of no return. Before then there was room for the author to backpedal (if he was a coward; thankfully he ain’t).

For me the "point of no return", as you put it, was already in File 11, which is the end of volume 3, where Toriko confesses. From then on things start escalating and with each file it gets gayer and gayer lol

0e257d22-6556-409e-84cd-061214211dea
joined Jun 27, 2019

Related to the novel: is volume 6 the final volume or will there be more?

joined Oct 20, 2020

Volume 7 is currently scheduled for a Dec 16 release in Japan. No indication that will be the final volume either.

edit:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/4150315094/

last edited at Oct 25, 2021 2:15PM

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Volume 7 is currently scheduled for a Dec 16 release in Japan. No indication that will be the final volume either.

edit:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/4150315094/

The official English translation is being done over at Jnovel Club. They recently finished translating volume 6. I imagine they will start translating and releasing chapters for volume 7 shortly after its official release in Japan.

last edited at Oct 26, 2021 8:33AM

joined Oct 20, 2020

The official English translation is being done over at Jnovel Club. They recently finished translating volume 6. I imagine they will start translating and releasing chapters for volume 7 shortly after its official release in Japan.

Licensing and translation for volume 4 and 5 was less than prompt. I wouldn't be too surprised if something delays vol 7, though I hope that won't be the case.

joined May 31, 2014

For me the "point of no return", as you put it, was already in File 11, which is the end of volume 3, where Toriko confesses. From then on things start escalating and with each file it gets gayer and gayer lol

Fair enough. I guess I’ve just seen too much disk horse about “shippers read too much into things” or “stop trying to make everything gay” or “that’s not real rep, it’s just queer baiting” that I figure I needed something more intense than just a love confession to convince other people it’s “real” yuri. And tongue action certainly seems intense enough to convince even the most annoying of people.

last edited at Oct 26, 2021 2:36PM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Fair enough. I guess I’ve just seen too much disk horse about “shippers read too much into things” or “stop trying to make everything gay” or “that’s not real rep, it’s just queer baiting” that I figure I needed something more intense than just a love confession to convince other people it’s “real” yuri. And tongue action certainly seems intense enough to convince even the most annoying of people.

I guess I can understand what you mean. I've definitely held myself back from seeing characters as a possible couple before, because I was afraid of becoming one of those "annoying shippers"... But for this particular work, it was already so blatantly gay that I don't think it was much of an issue XD

joined Jul 19, 2018

I guess I can understand what you mean. I've definitely held myself back from seeing characters as a possible couple before, because I was afraid of becoming one of those "annoying shippers"... But for this particular work, it was already so blatantly gay that I don't think it was much of an issue XD

From the very start, it's pretty obvious both MCs find each other attractive and are into each other on some level. The main issue is they both suffer from a crap ton of emotional baggage and crazy which complicates the Hell out of everything.

It also doesn't help that they are further scrambling their minds with each and every contact they make with the Otherside. They are both 4th kind at this point and yet they still keep diving deeper down the rabbit hole which is exactly what Migiwa is trying to warn them about in this last chapter. Migiwa is basically telling them, look at what is left of my friends and colleagues who pursued exploring the Otherside just like you two continue to do so. They aren't even recognizably human anymore.

last edited at Oct 29, 2021 12:07AM

joined Oct 20, 2020

I will never cease to be amazed at the people who made it to file 5 or 6 in the manga and then acted surprised that it was yuri.

Sorawo: gets saved from drowning.
Sorawo: stares goddam she's unbelievably gorgeous
Sorawo: what was I saying again?

People: (30+ chapters later) "wait, are they, like, interested in each other?"

Of course, that's not the same as wondering whether the story will commit to text or just keep it as subtext (not throwing shade on anyone here), but the subtext, at least, is blatant.

last edited at Oct 29, 2021 3:55PM

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

ohhhh la wea se esta poniendo super buena

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

who is that, please spoil me

Maybe go back and read the earlier chapters thats very clearly satsuki.

Also HOLY SHIT IT’S SATSUKI

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

See, Sorawo just look like Satsuki but shorter and less pretty

joined Mar 20, 2012

What the heck, that's such a good cliffhanger! I need to get started on reading the novels to get ahead.

joined Mar 26, 2021

Which chapter after anime?

joined May 10, 2021

Except, Satsuki looks absolutely terrifying there... And Sorawo is fucking cute. Fite me >:)

20221231_115517
joined Feb 8, 2020

Finally the best moment of volume 2 will come out in the next chapter

joined Sep 7, 2021

who is that, please spoil me

Maybe go back and read the earlier chapters thats very clearly satsuki.

Also HOLY SHIT IT’S SATSUKI

Woah, Idk if it'll this early to reveal her (I don't read the LN)

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

I realize it's probably supposed to represent some sort of incoherent sound, but given that there are actual characters in there I'd really like to know if there's some semblance of meaning we can get out of what Sorawo read.

Except, Satsuki looks absolutely terrifying there... And Sorawo is fucking cute. Fite me >:)

Satsuki totally has that ugly ghost woman vibe going on, and Sorawo is pretty.

Smell_1
joined Dec 5, 2016

If most stuff from the otherside can be found in net lore, can't Sorawo take that to her advantage and look up something useful like scp-500 in the net and see how to obtain it or where to find it so she can heal everyone in DS lab. Or she can look up some OP artifact that they can use or help them.

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

If most stuff from the otherside can be found in net lore, can't Sorawo take that to her advantage and look up something useful like scp-500 in the net and see how to obtain it or where to find it so she can heal everyone in DS lab. Or she can look up some OP artifact that they can use or help them.

Just because some things that match creepypastas have been found to exist due to the otherside, that doesn't mean that EVERYTHING on the internet can be found that way. Attempting to "game the system" so to speak will likely either accomplish nothing, or get you something that may look sort of like what you want, but which is actually something that makes things much worse.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

I realize it's probably supposed to represent some sort of incoherent sound, but given that there are actual characters in there I'd really like to know if there's some semblance of meaning we can get out of what Sorawo read.

If you look closely, the text she reads is some sort of pattern. So even if the characters characters themselves have a meaning, I doubt the text itself is even readable.

Smell_1
joined Dec 5, 2016

Just because some things that match creepypastas have been found to exist due to the otherside, that doesn't mean that EVERYTHING on the internet can be found that way. Attempting to "game the system" so to speak will likely either accomplish nothing, or get you something that may look sort of like what you want, but which is actually something that makes things much worse.

LN Vol 6 spoiler I think if even a memepasta like templeborn exists other stuff might be included and they should keep an eye out. I also remember Kozakura or maybe Sorawo said that the otherside is communicating with them through their brains and is getting some info from them so the otherside might copy the info from the net lore library in Sorawo's brain Just a thought

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

LN Vol 6 spoiler I think if even a memepasta like templeborn exists other stuff might be included and they should keep an eye out. I also remember Kozakura or maybe Sorawo said that the otherside is communicating with them through their brains and is getting some info from them so the otherside might copy the info from the net lore library in Sorawo's brain Just a thought

Thank you for reminding me: I'd gotten the notification that volume 6 was out, but was busy at the time and couldn't buy it then. Afterwards I forgot about it until now.

In regards to your spoiler: certainly the intelligence behind the Otherside does sometimes step in to do things deliberately. It's entirely possible it could make things that seem like SCP objects/creatures if it wanted to. But I don't think it could or would make that kind of miracle cure. It could make something that SEEMS like it, but it would end up being something twisted. Even the Templeborn didn't actually work the way it was supposed to based on the net lore. It was still an Otherside creature: its existence revolved around fear. And it didn't cure any of the 4th-kind contactees it used its power on, either. It just shut off their connection to the Otherside.

last edited at Nov 27, 2021 4:09PM

joined Jul 19, 2018

It's a bit of a chicken or the egg conundrum. The so-called true ghost stories, do they start as fictions that the Otherside begins to twist reality around to match, or do they start as twists in reality from the Otherside that somebody encounters and then shares with others thus becoming the seeds of urban legends? Perhaps it is a bit of both, a self-reinforcing feedback loop.

last edited at Dec 1, 2021 7:00AM

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Came here for the Yuri, stayed for the lore and the Yuri

To reply you must either login or sign up.