Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Moke ver.) discussion

Img_20210826_205427
joined Jan 24, 2021

is this manga going to continue further then the original one ?? and will the relationship evolve more or just subtext ??

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

is this manga going to continue further then the original one ??

It just did.

and will the relationship evolve more or just subtext ??

Depends on how far it'll get in the LN, but I see no indication of it stopping early for now. Although I would certainly not call it subtext in any case, at least Adachi's feelings were pretty clear even in the previous adaptation, Shimamura may still need a bit of time to get over her denial.

last edited at Nov 1, 2021 3:44PM

joined Mar 15, 2015

It might be just me, but even as an introvert, I find Shimamura's attitude toward her "pseudo-friendships" with "Pancho," "Delos" and "Santos" to be a bit too cold and cynical. Not all connections with other people have to be deep or lasting, but she too easily writes off those three as not worth her time instead of recognizing that they're trying to be friendly and trying to genuinely respond in kind.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

It might be just me, but even as an introvert, I find Shimamura's attitude toward her "pseudo-friendships" with "Pancho," "Delos" and "Santos" to be a bit too cold and cynical. Not all connections with other people have to be deep or lasting, but she too easily writes off those three as not worth her time instead of recognizing that they're trying to be friendly and trying to genuinely respond in kind.

I think Shimamura might actually be on the spectrum. The way she handles social interaction, and the way she thinks about things are pretty atypical. Her difficulty relating to the new girls likely stems from a incomplete grasp on the simple nuances of interpersonal relation that comes naturally to the typically-minded. Also explains why she is confused by Taru's actions and behaviors.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I think Shimamura might actually be on the spectrum. The way she handles social interaction, and the way she thinks about things are pretty atypical. Her difficulty relating to the new girls likely stems from a incomplete grasp on the simple nuances of interpersonal relation that comes naturally to the typically-minded. Also explains why she is confused by Taru's actions and behaviors.

That's certainly possible, but as someone on the spectrum, one of the most important things I've learned in life is that you have to be somewhat sociable from time to time, whether spending time with your family or talking with your classmates or coworkers when they make conversation with you, since doing so can help endear you to the people around you and make it easier to work with others. Maybe Shimamura, who's still in her adolescence, doesn't understand this yet.

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

^ I'm kinda lost, are you talking about the autism spectrum?

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

getting major gay vibes from friend-chan

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

I had a really hard time differentiating Shima from Friend-chan here

They got a bad case of sameface. I do love how overtly gay Friend-chan is bein' though.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

That's certainly possible, but as someone on the spectrum, one of the most important things I've learned in life is that you have to be somewhat sociable from time to time, whether spending time with your family or talking with your classmates or coworkers when they make conversation with you, since doing so can help endear you to the people around you and make it easier to work with others. Maybe Shimamura, who's still in her adolescence, doesn't understand this yet.

I can relate, a fellow neurodivergent girl here, one learns to "dive in" a bit now and then, not too much, I still just tell people I'm not in the mood and to go away,but by then we are close enough so they know it's not out of..rudeness...

joined Jun 6, 2021

She's not a genuine fake fortune-teller; she's a fake con-artist, and one of the better side-characters in the serial.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

That's definitely now how I imagined the fortune teller to look like. For one I expected her to be much older.

Edit: I'm not a girl but I'm on the spectrum too o/

last edited at Nov 22, 2021 3:38AM

joined Jun 6, 2021

That's definitely now how I imagined the fortune teller to look like. For one I expected her to be much older.

I imagined her as older, but not as well into middle age or beyond. I also did not imagine her as cute or as especially beautiful. But I'm assuming that the author is given an opportunity to comment on the visual character designs, and probably has a veto power. So I infer that the author either didn't care, or indeed imagined the woman as young and cute.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Not all connections with other people have to be deep or lasting, but she too easily writes off those three as not worth her time

She's giving them her time. What she's not doing is forming a sense of attachment to them.

Neither Adachi nor Shimamura form attachments as readily as do other people. Shimamura is much better than Adachi at ordinary social behavior, in part because Shimamura has much better parents.

But neither has a responsibility to attach to those around them. And Shimamura is not so much as hurting the feelings of the three girls who want to be her friends. She's pleasant to them, they see her as a friend, and she's not scheming to subvert their interests. Nor does she think that they ought particularly to care about her.

However, in the novel, to which this manga conforms fairly well, neither girl is on the autism spectrum. Their innate capacities to understand other people are quite superior.

Adachi wasn't moved to exercise her ability until she met Shimamura, so she's in unfamiliar territory, but she builds most of many years worth of a map in just three years.

If we accepted Bettelheim's once popular theory of “refrigerator mothers”, then indeed we'd see Adachi as an autistic who is later largely cured. But the present understanding of autism is quite different (and Bettelheim has been exposed as a cruel charlatan).

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Same, definitely.

The looks in no way make her any more likeable, though, she's still as obnoxious as always...

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

I like the fortune teller, in the anime they give her Satomi Arai as voice and feel like Kuroko talking about issues

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

in the anime they give her Satomi Arai as voice

And that says it all, really... I know she has also voiced a lot of excellent characters, but the ones I remember her voice best for are always the over the top obnoxious ones like in Shinka no Mi, Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de Ni-kai Kougeki no Okaasan wa Suki Desu ka? or RailDex.

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

i hate how much i can see myself in them, it hurts AHGGGgGGGHHHh

Ricowow
joined Dec 23, 2020

Not all connections with other people have to be deep or lasting, but she too easily writes off those three as not worth her time

She's giving them her time. What she's not doing is forming a sense of attachment to them.

Neither Adachi nor Shimamura form attachments as readily as do other people. Shimamura is much better than Adachi at ordinary social behavior, in part because Shimamura has much better parents.

But neither has a responsibility to attach to those around them. And Shimamura is not so much as hurting the feelings of the three girls who want to be her friends. She's pleasant to them, they see her as a friend, and she's not scheming to subvert their interests. Nor does she think that they ought particularly to care about her.

However, in the novel, to which this manga conforms fairly well, neither girl is on the autism spectrum. Their innate capacities to understand other people are quite superior.

Adachi wasn't moved to exercise her ability until she met Shimamura, so she's in unfamiliar territory, but she builds most of many years worth of a map in just three years.

If we accepted Bettelheim's once popular theory of “refrigerator mothers”, then indeed we'd see Adachi as an autistic who is later largely cured. But the present understanding of autism is quite different (and Bettelheim has been exposed as a cruel charlatan).

Cured? Cured??? Autism spectrum disorder isn't something that can be "cured" in any sense of the word.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Cured? Cured??? Autism spectrum disorder isn't something that can be "cured" in any sense of the word.

I said that Bettelheim was a cruel charlatan. None-the-less, for many years his was the prevailing theory. According to that theory, autism resulted from unsuitable mothers being unable to bond with children who, otherwise, would usually have been quite ordinary, and those children could be restored by a proper, loving environment. (The environment that Bettelheim himself provided was abusive.)

Also, don't make bald spoilers just because you want to rant.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Calling it now, Shimamura won't be there

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Calling it now, Shimamura won't be there

Sorry, that's a miss. The "Shimamura" at the end is this one:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/adachi_and_shimamura_moke_ver_ch19_5#23

This issue was filling in Adachi's perspective on the previous chapter.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I imagined her as older, but not as well into middle age or beyond. I also did not imagine her as cute or as especially beautiful. But I'm assuming that the author is given an opportunity to comment on the visual character designs, and probably has a veto power. So I infer that the author either didn't care, or indeed imagined the woman as young and cute.

With "much older" I mean I expected her to be around her 30s.

Annette from Kyokai no Rinne is much closer to what I expected lol
https://kyokainorinne.fandom.com/wiki/Hitomi_Annette_Anematsuri

last edited at Nov 23, 2021 2:14PM

joined Jun 6, 2021

Annette from Kyokai no Rinne is much closer to what I expected lol
https://kyokainorinne.fandom.com/wiki/Hitomi_Annette_Anematsuri

Reading the serialized novel, I don't visualize the characters as they would be drawn in manga or in anime. But I think that you and I place the character in the same age-range. However, you imagined her as looking more graceful and beautiful than did I. I didn't imagine her as plain or as homely, but still as comedic.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Humm, so..Shimamura still doesn't know Adachi likes her in that way? Atchh come on now...I just hope that will happen sometime, this has such a weird pace..I like it but like..come on, confess and date properly!!!! not this..whatever this is-

10374935_1517148091919036_8454058064875083431_n
joined Apr 7, 2021

Looking back, almost a year since the anime ended, and I still love rewatching/reading through this development of AdaShima.

To reply you must either login or sign up.