ForumNews Isya (434notfound) to officially provide English translations with Yuri-ism's help

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

...have you read Lord of the Rings?
Some authors consider language to be part of their canvas.

joined Jan 1, 2015

...have you read Lord of the Rings?
Some authors consider language to be part of their canvas.

Lord of The Rings was written over 60 years ago back when there were some standards for writing by a person that could create his own language for it. Even children's works of the time took very special care to write eloquently, for example Dr. Seuss works, and Winnie the Pooh.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

I guess it would be hard to provide beautiful lines, as I'm not talking about the "lines" - it's the whole language the book is made in. Lines is more about poetry - another good case of hard to translate works.
As for LotR, it has many brilliant uses of English language that would hardly work in other languages. And no, they aren't puns - they're the atmosphere, the mood, the feelings.
You can meet such gems as "hobbit sense" used for "common sense", or using "wield" for commanding the army.
Tolkien was a linguist, and it shows. For example, the elven language is a complete language made by him, with it's own alphabet, grammar, pronunciation and punctuation rules. And with language - he didn't simply write the book in English, he wrote it in "Lord Of The Rings English".
Movie has the story, and you can also read the book for the story. But you can also read the book and see the other beauty in the very words.
And my real point is further. Let me tell you, I have read two translations of LotR (maybe more, but I remember at least two). A good one and a bad one. And the story was same in them. The "plot" was the same.
But the books were different.
Language matters.

Take another example, Lewis Carroll's works. Such word play. How would you even translate a single word, Jabberwocky, if you didn't know the intricacies of the language you're translating into?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nez Note

All right, now that we've got that out of our systems can we get back on topic? I'm sure Candy's English abilities or lack thereof are fascinating and all but this is really about Isya and Yuri-ism.

I'll be just removing stuff that keeps the argument going after this comment, but the stuff above can stay.

last edited at Jan 1, 2015 11:04AM

joined Nov 11, 2010

This is definitely a pretty neat development. For the sake of things like this, I wonder if the idea of integrating relevant releases from external sites onto the release list might not be something Dynasty wants to play with; providing them with the same searchable presence and bumpable discussion available here as for other releases.

Wheels150
Payapaya Scans
joined Jan 28, 2013

redoing all the SFX in English

I like this woman's standards.

last edited at Jan 1, 2015 12:13PM

rexbandit Uploader
41620721_big_p12%20(2
joined May 12, 2013

redoing all the SFX in English

I like this woman's standards.

I second this. I find it impressive that she (willingly) wants to put in extra effort for the SFX.

Good luck to both Yuri-ism and Isya. Very exciting and promising stuff; I hope good things come from this partnership. :3

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Off topic & while someone's on this thread, can anyone fix this src link? Been ignored since last year, literally.

• Fixed the link.
  • Topic is stickied because I felt like it. I'll take it down after some time.
  • I'm not going to comment about the stuff in the middle of this topic. Thanks Nez for waking up earlier than me and shutting it down.

Hope everything goes well for the collab.

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

I wanted to make jokes about isya's amazing tweets but then I realized the only people that'd get it would probably just be Shima and Rex :(

Good luck with the collab and I hope everything works out well!

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Same here, I hope she sells digital copy of her works, I'm from Brazil, so it would be a little complicated to buy physical copies....

Another person from Brazil here?! /o/

I'm the one who should say that, I always wondered if I was the only one here....

Add me on skype, just search my user name, I'm using a picture of Levi as avatar.

Tumblr_npkmdbqiwy1s7m7t3o1_1280
joined Jul 21, 2013

Owner/operator of yuri-ism scans here. I wasn't expecting a sticky, but I'll answer a few questions.
1. ...
2. ...
3. We will not be providing books for any of her precure doujins. We will on originals though. The reason for this is because Japanese copyright and American copyright are two different things. Japanese copyright chooses to ignore doujins, US copyright may not. I've talked to the 2 biggest English hentai book companies and both have told me that they cannot print parody doujins. I'm aware doujinpress does, but what they do isn't really legal, they put up a legal page that essentially says "don't sue us, we're not printing very many, it's not worth your time." this doesn't work for bigger companies. As they aren't going to limit their sales to appease such a thing.

A question related to this. Precure doujins won't get translated? or even digitally published? I'm just confused because most of her work that I like are Precure related and if nobody is going to translate them anymore, I don't think I have the wallet to regularly buy those doujins directly from Japan D: Kinda wish that Isya would make her work available digitally

Also, to be noted, doujins are sold-out easily after a period of time, so having a plan to pile them up together(so that it can cut shipping and forwarding service costs) in the shopping cart of an online doujin shop is not going to work.

Lastly, congrats to Yuri-ism for this collab! I hope in the near future this kind of thing will happen more often with other yuri mangaka!

last edited at Jan 1, 2015 11:09PM

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

There's too much possibility for legal bullcrap to risk it.

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

My wallet is ready... Though I'm gonna need more place to hide my yuri cuz I share room with my sister (^_^;)

2015-01-21%2018.42.01
joined May 17, 2014

I feel like it was the SR version MariMite or Strawberry Kiss but it's not like I did tht like it :p

rexbandit Uploader
41620721_big_p12%20(2
joined May 12, 2013
  1. We will not be providing books for any of her precure doujins. We will on originals though. The reason for this is because Japanese copyright and American copyright are two different things. Japanese copyright chooses to ignore doujins, US copyright may not. I've talked to the 2 biggest English hentai book companies and both have told me that they cannot print parody doujins. I'm aware doujinpress does, but what they do isn't really legal, they put up a legal page that essentially says "don't sue us, we're not printing very many, it's not worth your time." this doesn't work for bigger companies. As they aren't going to limit their sales to appease such a thing.

A question related to this. Precure doujins won't get translated? or even digitally published? I'm just confused because most of her work that I like are Precure related and if nobody is going to translate them anymore, I don't think I have the wallet to regularly buy those doujins directly from Japan D: Kinda wish that Isya would make her work available digitally

Like Yuri-ism says, Japanese copyright holders usually choose to ignore Doujin because they probably know that these works will encourage consumers to get into the show or its derivatives, which leads them to buy official goods/merchandise/books/etc. (animation primarily makes money off of BluRay/DVD sales, merchandise, toys, etc. and not the show itself, which is why character designers will often make bad guys look cooler than the good guys - to promote merch sales) And I think that's also why Doujin usually have small print runs - to avoid attracting too much 'official' attention and possible litigation.

A lot of Doujin are available digitally, but it's tough to buy them off the Japanese sites. Some require a JP address or credit card, and almost all are DRM'ed or locked. It depends on the author if they want to offer it online, though.

I'm not sure if doujin licensing works like it does for garage kit makers, but I'm going to assume it's somewhat similar? For garage kit makers, I know that licenses are handed out to the kit makers on a 'one day' or 'per event' agreement, which is why most garage kit sales happen during events like WonFes. They are legally allowed to sell the kits for that day only. And it's the event organizers who talk to the companies about which series can be sold and which can't. Comiket and other events probably handles that for the Doujin side?

last edited at Jan 2, 2015 1:52PM

Cat9
joined Dec 30, 2014

There's too much possibility for legal bullcrap to risk it.

That's how I feel about every risky move here in Florida.

joined Jan 8, 2014

Lol cool news...I for one would already be purchasing real releases except im certain I have little to no ability to learn characters/kanji...but I do enjoy learning some of the language from anime etc... ^_^

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

Whatever helps authors get a reward for their work is good.
Would Dynasty link to an author's Paypal account if he or she asked them? I don't need print copies or pdfs, I just like to see people paid for their work

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

We'll see how we'll integrate that when it's finally available.

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Whatever helps authors get a reward for their work is good.
Would Dynasty link to an author's Paypal account if he or she asked them? I don't need print copies or pdfs, I just like to see people paid for their work

If you want to see people paid for their work, then buy their books.

Tumblr_nsb2wsngkl1t0bs5do3_250
joined Jul 2, 2013

If you want to see people paid for their work, then buy their books.

Pretty sure they're talking paypal donations. Honestly I'd prefer that too and/or digital copies. Having physical copies are really nice as I consider myself a collector, but shipping costs adds up like crazy. If shipping wasn't involved I'd be able to buy twice as many books as I have.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

This is pretty awesome news! It'd be cool to see if more doujinka would be willing to do this.

joined Jul 2, 2014

I'm totally going to buy some of her releases, just to show that I want to support authors and want this sort of thing to work :D (I really liked her Eva doujin.)

Yep, copyright screws everything up. The more you learn about it, the more you know that's true.

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

If your favourite mangaka was officially releasing original doujin in English, what would you prefer buying:
Digital or Physical copies?
(Any reason explaining this preference?)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If your favourite mangaka was officially releasing original doujin in English, what would you prefer buying:
Digital or Physical copies?
(Any reason explaining this preference?)

Digital all the way for me, since that's my preferred reading method. Takes up so much less space, my device is just the right size for reading manga, and no chance of damage like with a physical copy. Good all around.

To reply you must either login or sign up.