Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

With Adachi being Adachi, it's hard to see Shima ever having reason to be jealous. She knows too well how Adachi is almost entirely focused on her and her alone.

Yeah but the point is that jealousy sometimes doesn't make sense, that's be all the more of an interesting point, Shima can't really understand why Adachi goes so jealous when she's just hanging out with a friend, so seeing Adachi interact with another girl and her having feelings of jealousy could help her see were Adachi is coming from.

Plus that girl has a China dress, Shimas thing as pointed out by her mom, and she's showing off to Adachi, or something lol, idk I feel like it could happen and be pretty interesting.

But yeah I guess I also don't see Adachi like giving another person the time of day, but like I said before maybe it's just something menial that gets shima going ? Like she goes, seed the other girl and asks Adachi why she never mentioned or something?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I mean, it would certainly be interesting to see, but while I could see it possibly happen in the more stable future we saw in the anime bonus novel, right now I can already see how this meeting would go. The moment Shima enters the scene, Adachi's eyes light up and she moves to Shima's side like a puppy. Now Tarumi's reaction to seeing that, that would be fun to see, though.

981c42da2a6ca1ced16e6500fb8d64cc
joined Dec 29, 2020

I want to see Shima introduce Adachi as her girlfriend to Tarumi. Although I don't think it will happen.

But I need that conversation between Shima and Tarumi, like they should have already met up, or not? The drama happened in summer and now it's already Christmas. No idea when did the trip took place but probably in fall. Are we going to get that meeting as a flashback or did they seriously not meet up? I hope we get to see the Tarumi matter get solved since it was mentioned quite many times. We'll see.

last edited at Jan 8, 2021 1:41PM

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Yeah i thought the same, I'm pretty sure they mentioned the trip was at like the end of October no? So that's at least 2 months of time, and Tarumi did say she wanted to meet up right after the trip, that's definitely one of the things that I thought we were gonna see but nope, the author kinda sped that along for whatever reason.

Such an important scene, are we getting it as a flashback? Idk, maybe Shima will say she was sleepy and she's been avoiding it cuz she's been hanging out with Adachi too much?

I think they still haven't met for whatever reason, time constraints from the author lol.

I do really want to see Tarumis reaction to knowing Shima has a girlfriend, I do think Shima is gonna tell her next time she sees her, it'll be something to see how she reacts, hey maybe she doesn't mind and really only wants to be Shimas friend lol.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

What has been your favorite volume so far guys ? Just want to gauge what you all think so I made this strawpoll:

https://strawpoll.com/uvj8hgzos

Every volume is great and has a pretty exciting moment, I've loved each and every volume quite a bit, and me personally will go with volume 8, it's the volume where Shimamura finally realizes that yes she does love Adachi maybe not as strong as her atm but she definitely loves her, all thx to her talk with Pancho which the whole talk is just extremely interesting most of all how Shima kinda realizes she just might have always been into girls and wants to fondle some breasts.

The scene in the fog where she thinks that's what a world without Adachi would be, her instant happiness at finding her, finally acting like a loving girlfriend confirming to Adachi she was also scared without her.

And c'mon that hot spicy hot springs scene, "you want to look?" Shima doesn't fuck around guys, "look then" lol, both girls being interested was nice I like how Shima casually checks Adachi out while she's freaking out.

Not to mention we get their happy future.

Overall volume 8 is just fucking perfect, sure at the end when they're on bed together I definitely thought for a second we were getting that kiss but welp maybe the volume where that happens will top this one.

I do love volume 8 for all the reasons there is to love about it. BUT that would probably go second for me. I have to go with 6, simply because of the way a certain part was written; from calling eachother to hangout, to just thinking of each other, solely saying each others names as the days pass leading up to the festival. The way it was written was so beautiful and touching to me, I'll never get over it.
Adachi...
Shimamura...
^^ya know the part!!!
AND COME ON that second confession was top tier, of course the first one was too, but I really liked Shimamura chasing after Adachi instead of letting her go. Adachi biting her tongue to get her words out instead of swallowing them, all while fireworks were popping off in the background. And other great various moments.
God it was great.

joined Dec 29, 2020

For me, 4,6 and 8 are my favourites.

I mean, that sleepover in volume 4 was cute as hell, when Shima let Adachi sleep on her arm and how she didn't want to wake her up. I just loved that.

The volume 6 is really Shima-centred and as I always love her internal monologues, it was bound to be one of my favourites. It feels like we really get to know her here, she finds out Adachi loves her, confession happens and they finally go out. Truly a wonderful read.

But I also have to say that volume 8 is my number one. This one is also full of Shima's POV and that talk with Pancho is the highlight. She finally understands her feelings better. This shows that talking with others can truly help you to understand yourself better. The whole fog scene and Shimamura being honest was so satisfying. And so was the whole novel.

Volume 9 could have been the winner because Shimamura acting on her real feelings, blushing and properly talking to Adachi is definitely one of the best chapters in the whole series. Unfortunately, there was just too much Hino and Nagafuji (not that it was bad, just too much).

The next volume has a great chance to be the best one if it won't get sidetracked. Really hope so.

last edited at Jan 12, 2021 9:55AM

joined Dec 29, 2020

Yesterday volumes 1 and 3 finally arrived and I want to ask your opinion on official translation. Didn't read them only some parts, but it seemed quite strange. It was very different compared to the fantranslation. But I am very happy to be able to experience both versions.

joined Jun 7, 2019

You guys think Shimamura will ever be the one being jealous? Her being her I really kinda doubted that'd happen, but then at the end of volume 9 we have that bit with her realizing she feels uncomfortable that Adachi is not giving her her full attention soooo idk it kinda made it seem like it could happen.

Is that what that girl working at Adachi's place has been building up to ? Shima going to visit her, sees another cute girl in a China dress and gets kinda jelly/worried?

Or that other girl that apparently had some admiration for Adachi ? The glasses girl that I'm pretty sure appeared in Volume 5 chapter 4 for a second.

That'd be pretty damn interesting lol, I wanna see Shima like that, it's not fair only Adachi is freaking out about Taru-chan.

I'd like to see that even though it feels a bit out of character
Hmm but seeing Shimamura jealous in her own way would be nice and cute, like, not wanting to show it or not understanding her own feelings since she's never felt like that before, that would be interesting...
I don't know when I began to want these little details in this novel as at some point I stopped caring that they kissed and now I just want them to h-hold ha-hands (but just after marriage,ok?)

last edited at Jan 14, 2021 10:41AM

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

I do love volume 8 for all the reasons there is to love about it. BUT that would probably go second for me. I have to go with 6, simply because of the way a certain part was written; from calling eachother to hangout, to just thinking of each other, solely saying each others names as the days pass leading up to the festival. The way it was written was so beautiful and touching to me, I'll never get over it.
Adachi...
Shimamura...
^^ya know the part!!!
AND COME ON that second confession was top tier, of course the first one was too, but I really liked Shimamura chasing after Adachi instead of letting her go. Adachi biting her tongue to get her words out instead of swallowing them, all while fireworks were popping off in the background. And other great various moments.
God it was great.

I do indeed know what part you're talking about friend it's also one of my favorites.

To me its especially beautiful cuz Shima was finally excited about seeing Adachi in a romantic sense, till then it had just been seeing poor Adachi be the only one invested in their time together and finally we saw Shima hoping for their reunion, beautiful indeed.

You know I always thought it was weird people said Shima had no feelings for Adachi whatsoever at that moment, like she seems pretty damn excited to me at that time, can't stop thinking about Adachi, happily talking with her, waiting to tell her what she meant in their bath together lol, like i thought it was obvious she was feeling something, especially with how detached she had been to everything till that point.

And of course following after her finally, you ain't getting away this time Adachi you coward, lol it seemed to convey, it shows how much she's learned to care for Adachi, the other times she'd ran away it always stopped at a though "ah, should I have gone after her?" But now she was getting that confession one way or another, no matter how much blood it cost.

last edited at Jan 16, 2021 12:05AM

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

For me, 4,6 and 8 are my favourites.

I mean, that sleepover in volume 4 was cute as hell, when Shima let Adachi sleep on her arm and how she didn't want to wake her up. I just loved that.

The volume 6 is really Shima-centred and as I always love her internal monologues, it was bound to be one of my favourites. It feels like we really get to know her here, she finds out Adachi loves her, confession happens and they finally go out. Truly a wonderful read.

But I also have to say that volume 8 is my number one. This one is also full of Shima's POV and that talk with Pancho is the highlight. She finally understands her feelings better. This shows that talking with others can truly help you to understand yourself better. The whole fog scene and Shimamura being honest was so satisfying. And so was the whole novel.

Volume 9 could have been the winner because Shimamura acting on her real feelings, blushing and properly talking to Adachi is definitely one of the best chapters in the whole series. Unfortunately, there was just too much Hino and Nagafuji (not that it was bad, just too much).

The next volume has a great chance to be the best one if it won't get sidetracked. Really hope so.

Hahaha I feel you man it's so hard picking a favorite volume when they're all so good, you basically out half the volumes as your favorite lol.

Indeed that talk with Pancho was just so on point, in a sense you could say it encapsulated what happened right after, the author showed us the talk in a physical sense, Shima was lost and wandering exactly she was feeling and then she finally realizes that she just needs Adachi next to her, fantastic scene.

And again it really feels like Pancho makes Shima she's actually into girls, like there's really an "wait I do think that" when shes talking about if she's constantly looking at girls and thinking their cute and wanting to grab fondle some breasts, while Adachi indeed just loves her regardless, Shima is a lesbian I think which is interesting, so yeah she really needed that talk with a third party that helped her open up and just let out her thoughts and bounce off some ideas.

I just really wanted a kiss when they were laying down together.

Shima centric volumes were what everyone voted for, is it just cuz Shima more interesting with her thought process or just that the author is biased and gives her the best scenes?

I'll agree in volume 6 we did finally get to see more open Shima, who she really was, or more like how she wanted to be, and the most important thing is that she was finally the one taking steps forward to be with Adachi after 5 volumes of her being kinda apatethic towards the relationship it was soooo satisfying to finally see her be the one to take the initiative, especially after Adachi's heartbreaking call about how she was the only one that cared and stuff.

I feel you there, while I've enjoyed the what ifs and stuff, the author just goes too fucking off road too much, like it's bad enough with the alien girl and the what ifs and the regular Hino and Nagafuji stuff but that 3/4 of the book just with those 2 was brutal, it was interesting sure but I dont really care much about them, also it was just sad hearing if that maids story, how sad seeing your love one get pounded and working for her, it was weird.

That Christmas date was amazing though, definitely one of the best chapters we've had.

If indeed there's no more side distractions volume 10 could take volume 8s place in my heart as the best, that kiss finally happening maybe?

last edited at Jan 16, 2021 12:19AM

joined Dec 29, 2020

Hahaha I feel you man it's so hard picking a favorite volume when they're all so good, you basically out half the volumes as your favorite lol.

Indeed that talk with Pancho was just so on point, in a sense you could say it encapsulated what happened right after, the author showed us the talk in a physical sense, Shima was lost and wandering exactly she was feeling and then she finally realizes that she just needs Adachi next to her, fantastic scene.

And again it really feels like Pancho makes Shima she's actually into girls, like there's really an "wait I do think that" when shes talking about if she's constantly looking at girls and thinking their cute and wanting to grab fondle some breasts, while Adachi indeed just loves her regardless, Shima is a lesbian I think which is interesting, so yeah she really needed that talk with a third party that helped her open up and just let out her thoughts and bounce off some ideas.

I just really wanted a kiss when they were laying down together.

Shima centric volumes were what everyone voted for, is it just cuz Shima more interesting with her thought process or just that the author is biased and gives her the best scenes?

I'll agree in volume 6 we did finally get to see more open Shima, who she really was, or more like how she wanted to be, and the most important thing is that she was finally the one taking steps forward to be with Adachi after 5 volumes of her being kinda apatethic towards the relationship it was soooo satisfying to finally see her be the one to take the initiative, especially after Adachi's heartbreaking call about how she was the only one that cared and stuff.

I feel you there, while I've enjoyed the what ifs and stuff, the author just goes too fucking off road too much, like it's bad enough with the alien girl and the what ifs and the regular Hino and Nagafuji stuff but that 3/4 of the book just with those 2 was brutal, it was interesting sure but I dont really care much about them, also it was just sad hearing if that maids story, how sad seeing your love one get pounded and working for her, it was weird.

That Christmas date was amazing though, definitely one of the best chapters we've had.

If indeed there's no more side distractions volume 10 could take volume 8s place in my heart as the best, that kiss finally happening maybe?

Personally, I believe Shima centric volumes are more popular because Shima is a lot more difficult to understand. Like I really love Adachi, she is just so damn cute, but we know she is thinking about Shima most of her time. After all these Adachi centric volumes we do understand her pretty well. But Shima is not that clear about her feelings. In Shima POV chapters I can pretty much guess what Adachi is thinking about, but the same is not true when it's Adachi POV. You have to be in Shima's head to witness all those subtle changes. But I also need for balance Adachi's POV, when she is describing Shima's innocent smiles or blushes. So in other words, Shimamura's development is just really enjoyable. However, seeing Adachi becoming less jealous over every little thing is just as good.
Or just I relate to Shima more lol

joined Jun 7, 2019

You can listen to a fragment of Adachi's confession here, enjoy hehe
https://youtu.be/hO3Ccck9XaU

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Personally, I believe Shima centric volumes are more popular because Shima is a lot more difficult to understand. Like I really love Adachi, she is just so damn cute, but we know she is thinking about Shima most of her time. After all these Adachi centric volumes we do understand her pretty well. But Shima is not that clear about her feelings. In Shima POV chapters I can pretty much guess what Adachi is thinking about, but the same is not true when it's Adachi POV. You have to be in Shima's head to witness all those subtle changes. But I also need for balance Adachi's POV, when she is describing Shima's innocent smiles or blushes. So in other words, Shimamura's development is just really enjoyable. However, seeing Adachi becoming less jealous over every little thing is just as good.
Or just I relate to Shima more lol

No, no I get you I also said the same and indeed Shimas thought process is a lot more ... Mhmhmh enjoyable in a sense? to follow through cuz she really is such a complicated person, indeed with Adachi we already know that she's always thinking about Shima and how to get closer to her but with Shima every one of her actions is always interesting in what she'll choose, from at first when she was still kinda reluctant and indifferent to her dates with Adachi, to now where every time Adachi takes her hand she has this little mental breakdown of now just happiness and embarrassment but also looking around worried what other night think.

God do I wish we could have seen things from her POV on volume 9 when she told Adachi she loved her.

Still even if I was kinda joking, Shima has had the best moments in the series from her POV, the first confession, the second confession while we got both Shimas was the focus, vol 8 and their first time together naked and lusting after each others bodies.

Haha nahhh it's just shima making it more interesting.

Still Adachi now that she's calmed down and is finding ways to make shima happy is also a very interesting POV, like I've always liked her don't get me wrong but now it feels like she's finally gonna evolve from just getting what she wants and look to make shima happy, which is very nice.

last edited at Oct 24, 2021 7:26AM

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Yesterday volumes 1 and 3 finally arrived and I want to ask your opinion on official translation. Didn't read them only some parts, but it seemed quite strange. It was very different compared to the fantranslation. But I am very happy to be able to experience both versions.

Have you read them yet? Any noticeable differences/changes? I've actually been buying all the volumes that have come out but I haven't read them lol, every time a volume comes out I feel like re-reading the series but I always just re-read this version.

Ehhhh maybe when they catch up I'll read the official translations.

joined Dec 29, 2020

Have you read them yet? Any noticeable differences/changes? I've actually been buying all the volumes that have come out but I haven't read them lol, every time a volume comes out I feel like re-reading the series but I always just re-read this version.

Ehhhh maybe when they catch up I'll read the official translations.

I didn't read them because I was busy with Saeki Sayaka novels, but they definitely have a quite different feeling. Like there was this time Shimamura used the word 'shit'. I have no problem with the word itself, but it feels very strange since if I remember correctly no one used such words in fantranslation. I don't think I'm gonna read them, at least not any time soon, because I prefer the fantranslation, but I still plan to buy all the volumes.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

I didn't read them because I was busy with Saeki Sayaka novels, but they definitely have a quite different feeling. Like there was this time Shimamura used the word 'shit'. I have no problem with the word itself, but it feels very strange since if I remember correctly no one used such words in fantranslation. I don't think I'm gonna read them, at least not any time soon, because I prefer the fantranslation, but I still plan to buy all the volumes.

Oh then I don't really feel like reading them then lol, same here I'll keep buying them but just for showing support for the Yuri scene.

So you did get to reading the Sayaka LNs eh? Still reading them? Binge them? Did they live up to expectations?

joined Dec 29, 2020

Oh then I don't really feel like reading them then lol, same here I'll keep buying them but just for showing support for the Yuri scene.

So you did get to reading the Sayaka LNs eh? Still reading them? Binge them? Did they live up to expectations?

Yea, I just need my collection on the shelf. I appreciate the official translation but that's it lol.

I already read them and they definitely lived up to expectations. I actually cried during the last part of the third novel. It truly felt like this was the end. I felt kind of lonely.

Now I plan to buy the Otherside Picnic because I need it so bad and the anime is...well...what it is. I also picked up Roadside Picnic because I really like the setting.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Yea, I just need my collection on the shelf. I appreciate the official translation but that's it lol.

I already read them and they definitely lived up to expectations. I actually cried during the last part of the third novel. It truly felt like this was the end. I felt kind of lonely.

Now I plan to buy the Otherside Picnic because I need it so bad and the anime is...well...what it is. I also picked up Roadside Picnic because I really like the setting.

I'm glad you enjoyed them man, I'd have felt bad if you didn't after hyping them up so much to you lol, what would you say was your favorite volume? I've heard a lot of people say 1 cuz it feels the most real and that 3 didn't have as much impact.

Eh did the anime version turn out bad or something ? I just got volume 4 where things are supposed to get spicy so I'm quite excited to read it, you couldn't have picked a better time to pick up the novel.

I don't really follow stuff outside of manga/anime/light novels/visual novels since they already take up so much time lol, though while I don't really like science fiction stuff that book does sound interesting.

last edited at Jan 27, 2021 7:14AM

joined Dec 29, 2020

I'm glad you enjoyed them man, I'd have felt bad if you didn't after hyping them up so much to you lol, what would you say was your favorite volume? I've heard a lot of people say 1 cuz it feels the most real and that 3 didn't have as much impact.

Eh did the anime version turn out bad or something ? I just got volume 4 where things are supposed to get spicy so I'm quite excited to read it, you couldn't have picked a better time to pick up the novel.

I don't really follow stuff outside of manga/anime/light novels/visual novels since they already take up so much time lol, though while I don't really like science fiction stuff that book does sound interesting.

I liked them all, probably equally, but if I had to choose then the third one. Some relationships got really fleshed out and it felt truly conclusive. Also, Sayaka was finally happy.

It's not really bad, the episodes are actually getting gradually better, but I still find it to be a not very good adaptation. This story definitely deserved more and the anime didn't show its whole potential. But it's still watchable.

Tbh, this is my first sci-fi book lol I don't really like science fiction in general (except in VNs, I love them there lol), however as I said, I fell in love with the whole setting and atmosphere of the Otherside Picnic and they really share it with Roadside Picnic. It's actually quite short what makes it easier to pick up. (the chapter are long though if I can even call them chapters)

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Heh, the Kase-san reference.

What a melancholy chapter, especially towards the end. From Shimamura's realization that she might never see Hino again, to her thoughts about how she will eventually face her own death. Though I guess it's appropriate with the overall context of these chapters being Yashiro reminiscing about events from centuries prior. I wonder if the promise she made to Shimamura and that she might have already fulfilled will be related to those final days.

last edited at Feb 15, 2021 7:38PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I guess maybe I'm a dirty girl but I really wanna know why Shimamura was just so warm and fuzzy after her date with Adachi and what exactly she meant by not the only part of her that felt satisfied lol

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I guess maybe I'm a dirty girl but I really wanna know why Shimamura was just so warm and fuzzy after her date with Adachi and what exactly she meant by not the only part of her that felt satisfied lol

Honestly, that tease of an author giving us all of Shima's day except for the most important part - the time spent with Adachi. (Well, that, and we never actually found out what she got from Hino.) One can only assume this will eventually be shown in the actual novels and was left out here due to this.

Heh, the Kase-san reference.

Hino now confirmed to read yuri as well, as if there was ever any doubt about her. :D

I wonder if the promise she made to Shimamura and that she might have already fulfilled will be related to those final days.

I would not be surprised at all if she meant Chito and Shima meeting there now.

Oh, and since no one has mentioned this here yet, sneikkimies seems to be also translating some extras from Iruma's blog here. The Questions & Answers translated right now are a pretty fun read, especially any time Adachi's immediate answer is Shima, and, even better, Q10. :D

last edited at Feb 16, 2021 6:45AM

Ab59ca3b19cdeaaa017711fd2fed011712597cdd
joined Feb 5, 2021

So, I may be pointing out the obvious but...

The girl from this chapter was called Chito, and the girl she met at the end was called Shima.

And the Japanese title is Ada/Chi to Shima/mura.

Sooo, reincarnation? That might be the mission Yachiro was referring to.

Although, their names appear to have been swapped around given that Shima seems to have Adachi's appearance and personality, whilst Chito seems to have the same sense of aimlessness Shimamura started the series with.

last edited at Feb 16, 2021 8:39PM

joined Jun 7, 2019

wait
when did she said that?

To reply you must either login or sign up.