Forum › The VTuber Thread Wherein We Talk about VTubers

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

VTubers!

Answering the question "What if anime was real?" once and for all.

What is a VTuber?

A VTuber, short for "Virtual Youtuber", is very similar to the standard Youtuber or livestreamer. The big difference is that, instead of using a webcam to show their face, or having no camera at all, they use face-tracking and/or motion-capture technology to rig their movements to a virtual avatar. Some of them play a character, some don't, others start out playing a character but in the end change what they do to something completely different.

Of course, the easiest way to get an idea of what they are is to...
watch
some
clips
...and that's just barely scratching the surface!

So it's just anime girls playing video games?

Well yes but actually no. There's tons of VTubers out there, and while a good number of them stream video games, there's others who sing, or draw, or just chat. If there's something you want to watch, chances are someone does it. Of course, there's anime boys doing these things too! Probably some enby anime people too! Maybe.

Alright, you've got my interest, where do I start?

Well, currently there's two big groups that most people are talking about, Hololive and Nijisanji. Sadly I know very little about Nijisanji, so I can't help there.

Hololive does the vtuber thing more like an idol agency. In fact, the creator of Hololive once famously said that Hololive is like a vtuber AKB48.

Or at least, that was the plan. In reality it's a crazy, chaotic circus that is so much more than just a bunch of idols. They've done a few liveshows, so the idol thing isn't completely gone, and a lot of them are great singers who have made some amazing covers and original songs. But at it's core, it's really just a bunch of hardworking, likeable people having fun streaming. With over 50 members so far, there's a good chance someone there will appeal to you.

For starters I'd recommend Inugami Korone if you like games and cute doggos.

or Houshou Marine if you like horny pirate boomers

There's a very welcoming community around Hololive. And memes. So many memes.

Last year they started an English-speaking branch with five amazing members so far. It's a great place to start if you don't know Japanese but want to be able to watch them stream live instead of just watching translated clips. Additionally,everyone in their Indonesian branch speaks great English. There's also usually people in the chats of the JP streamers voluntarily doing live translations, and there's useful browser extensions that work with the translations they provide (such as LiveTL, which I highly recommend).

Anything else I should know in advance?

Indeed there is! The rules. Always read the rules, there's generally overlap between all VTubers in them, but always read the rules just to be sure. And then, after you read the rules, follow them.

Keep in mind that this is not Twitch, and what is acceptable behavior there is often unacceptable here. Be polite, be on your best behavior, treat everyone with respect, and you'll be just fine.

Also, if you see someone being a dingus, spamming, or trolling, don't respond to them, just block them and report them.

A handy-dandy PSA courtesy of fellow forum-goer Rye:

Reposting PSA just in case.

Due to the ridiculous amount of negativety I've seen lately in other sites, I feel like I need to drop a short PSA/Q&A before newbies comes across it. Apologies for any errors, I will edit this if necessary. Wrote this a few days ago but forgot to post.

• Always remember they are here to entertain us. It's very rare for a genuine streamer to do or say things with malicious intend.

• Most of the "info" you see floating around is fake, the crazier it sounds the easier it is to identify as fake. Most of the fake news come from haters who want to ruin a streamer's reputation...for some reason.

• YouTube is a horrendous accomplice for this toxicity. Only follow credible sources.
"Hero hei" is the main reason why I'm making this post, he is a clickbait master and a leech to the community. Please block him from appearing in your feed or just ignore him. "Woohoolad" is the superior option for Vtuber news if you want to follow a "news channel".

• Related to the note above, there seems to be an obsession with some people revealing Vtubers identities. Try to avoid these channels too, they are filled with misinformation as well. If you're curious about them for whatever reason, Google is far more effective. I can't prevent anyone from doing research but I can at least encourage avoiding toxic parts of the community. Not to mention it's completely unnecessary to enjoy the streams and the community. They always reveal personal information in their streams anyway, you really don't need more than that.

• Have fun.

Q1: is -insert name- a -insert adjective-
A: No, the answer is usually no. They are all very normal people a few are gorgeous, just worry about their streams not their personal lives.

Q2: Is research worth?
A: No. All you will find is them doing the same thing they do now...and a couple of sob stories.

Q3: Haachama?!
A: Yes! And she eats everything she cooks!

Q4: Gayest girl?
A tough question...Flare? Sukoya? Tomoe? Kiara? I honestly have no idea.

Q5: best girl? And don't say Yagoo smartass!
A: Suisei.
OP's edit: Don't believe these lies. It's Yagoo. It's always Yagoo.

Q6: Where can I find old clips?
A: Patience. Some madlads are slowly re uploading them.

Thanks Rye!

That just about does it for the OP. If anyone has something to add just say so.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, remember to simp responsibly!

last edited at Mar 17, 2021 8:28PM

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

Given what this site's bias is, I must shill Crossick aka Sukoya Kana x Shirayuki Tomoe. Both from Nijisanji.

My personal favorites are Suzuhara Lulu known for her calmness, inhuman endurance and totally a normal art student, and Tsukino Mito who is basically a crazy shitposter and has her own yuri ship with Higuchi Kaede.

last edited at Jan 22, 2021 6:07AM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

My current fave is Pikamee, who speaks both Japanese and English.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Hatoba Tsugu.
Hatoba Tsugu.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

My current fave is Pikamee, who speaks both Japanese and English.

Pikamee's definitely one of my favorites. She's probably the biggest reason for my interest in vtubers after I stopped watching Kizuna Ai... years ago? God how long has it been...

Her energy is so infectious, and you can't help but laugh whenever she does. And her design was done by GYARI of chocomint ice fame (along with some other great videos and great music), whose art I really dig. I'd definitely recommend her to anyone interested in vtubers.

edit: by the way, if someone more knowledgeable wants to write something up on Nijisanji I'd be glad to add that to the OP.

last edited at Jan 22, 2021 1:51PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Should work better

joined Dec 18, 2020

My favourite vtuber is a relatively obscure one. Ryugasaki Rene.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2hc-00y-MSR6eYA4eQ4tjQ

Since she's so small she doesn't really have a lot of translated content out there, though recently she's been trying to learn English. She's pretty great though. She's a really good singer, and despite her cool tomboyish look she's actually a giant idiot which is hilarious to realize.

Other than that the only vtuber I watch regularly is Pikamee.

Also I haven't really watched anything else from Gundou Mirei but I thought you guys might be interested in this clip where she talks about what the Japanese lesbian subculture is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV5iednlMuI

last edited at Jan 22, 2021 7:55PM

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

My favourite vtuber is a relatively obscure one. Ryugasaki Rene.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2hc-00y-MSR6eYA4eQ4tjQ

Since she's so small she doesn't really have a lot of translated content out there, though recently she's been trying to learn English. She's pretty great though. She's a really good singer, and despite her cool tomboyish look she's actually a giant idiot which is hilarious to realize.

Other than that the only vtuber I watch regularly is Pikamee.

Also I haven't really watched anything else from Gundou Mirei but I thought you guys might be interested in this clip where she talks about what the Japanese lesbian subculture is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV5iednlMuI

I really want to check out more of the smaller vtubers out there so I'll definitely look up Ryugasaki Rene. edit: Ah! I remember seeing her in a collab with VOMS!

I've only ever seen Gundou Mirei in a compilation of 3D Nijisanji clips (where she was hilarious), she seems like a really cool and genuine person from the clips I've seen of her. I'll definitely be watching her from now on.

last edited at Jan 22, 2021 9:36PM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

That meme chart is missing AZKi now that she'll be a regular(?) streamer.

I'll share Futakuchi Mana again because her covers are dope: https://youtube.com/channel/UCqGtqSn0NiOCottKpYwBc4w

Due to the ridiculous amount of negativety I've seen lately in other sites, I feel like I need to drop a short PSA/Q&A before newbies comes across it. Apologies for any errors, I will edit this if necessary. Wrote this a few days ago but forgot to post.

• Always remember they are here to entertain us. It's very rare for a genuine streamer to do or say things with malicious intend.

• Most of the "info" you see floating around is fake, the crazier it sounds the easier it is to identify as fake. Most of the fake news come from haters who want to ruin a streamer's reputation...for some reason.

• YouTube is a horrendous accomplice for this toxicity. Only follow credible sources.
"Hero hei" is the main reason why I'm making this post, he is a clickbait master and a leech to the community. Please block him from appearing in your feed or just ignore him. "Woohoolad" is the superior option for Vtuber news if you want to follow a "news channel" This guy's significantly better.

• Related to the note above, there seems to be an obsession with some people revealing Vtubers identities. Try to avoid these channels too, they are filled with misinformation as well. If you're curious about them for whatever reason, Google is far more effective. I can't prevent anyone from doing research but I can at least encourage avoiding toxic parts of the community. Not to mention it's completely unnecessary to enjoy the streams and the community. They always reveal personal information in their streams anyway, you really don't need more than that.

• Have fun.

A: No, the answer is usually no. They are all very normal people a few are gorgeous, just worry about their streams not their personal lives.

A: No. All you will find is them doing the same thing they do now...and a couple of sob stories.

I can add some info about upd8 since it relates to a bunch of girls including AZKi but the important stuff is in the Vtuber wiki.

last edited at Jul 18, 2022 8:09AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

It lack more than that as the number of panels is lower than the number of streamers, not to mention 2 panels are for Yagoo and the viewers.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

It lack more than that as the number of panels is lower than the number of streamers, not to mention 2 panels are for Yagoo and the viewers.

You're right, I didn't even count them. I noticed she was missing because I'm listening to her stuff right now lol

It's also missing Marine x Rushia "marriage". Relevant clip https://youtu.be/snFrWMDiEtw

On closer inspection, I'm such a fanboy that I want to criticize more! Like Iofi's marriage with Moona(who's missing), Choco x Mel being lewd, Haachama x Watame totally legit marriage, Aqua x Shion's tsundere thing, actually just Shion.

Forget all that! Matsuri is not refered by her tittle of GOD

last edited at Jan 23, 2021 9:52AM

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

"Hero hei" is the main reason why I'm making this post, he is a clickbait master and a leech to the community. Please block him from appearing in your feed or just ignore him. "Woohoolad" is the superior option for Vtuber news if you want to follow a "news channel".

• Have fun.

I can add some info about upd8 since it relates to a bunch of girls including AZKi but the important stuff is in the Vtuber wiki.

I was considering giving a warning about drama channels like Hero Hei's in the OP, but I didn't want to make it too complicated. I would definitely say to exercise caution with any "news" channels, including Woohoolad, but as far as I can tell he's the most "okay" (even if his intro shtick is eye-roll-inducingly dumb).

The Hololive subreddit is a decent source for news and information, but always remember that the only information you can really trust is straight from Cover corp. and the talents themselves.

This is all great information though, thanks for posting it.

edit: speaking of the Hololive subreddit, Coco is gonna be doing a meme review with Polka in a few hours. 7:00 PM PST. That should be good lol

last edited at Jan 23, 2021 6:42PM

GendoIkari Uploader
Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

The apex tournament is over score spoilers

The Hololive subreddit is a decent source for news and information, but always remember that the only information you can really trust is straight from Cover corp. and the talents themselves.

Agreed. The only problem is that official news do hide any controversial info like west taiwan related stuff so I figured people might get curious. R/VirtualYoutubers also has more info that cover can't delete. That is were I found reliable info about the stuff that Uto is going through. Note: Still be a bit sus about everything you read, those people sneak in sometimes.

This is all great information though, thanks for posting it.

No problem. Feel free to add any points and I'll update it. I feel like I could add a line about respecting their privacy but that feels like overkill. They just want you to not mention Vtuber stuff on their personal account.

Edit: CherryintheSun made a TakaMori doujin.
And this too: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/87276145

Edit like 5: Miko is eating a tarantula too...

Crossick stream + song in description: https://youtu.be/BNS5Lvp9ixI

Look at all those edits...this is what my life has come too...nothing but simping cute 2d girls on the internet...oh wait.

last edited at Jan 24, 2021 8:43AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Edit: CherryintheSun made a TakaMori doujin.
And this too: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/87276145

I feel like the last page of that TakaMori doujin is missing a line.

"This is your captain speaking. In case of emergency, my chest can be used as a flotation device."

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Please enjoy your stay.

I'm mostly a HoloEN viewer (and they're the only memberships that I've joined), but I try to catch the other Holo girls' streams when I can.
I also enjoy me some VShoujo. I dig their humor, and Froot is too precious.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Calliope Mori is doing an endurance stream til she gets to 1M subscribers! She's at 998K right now, so I don't think she's gonna have to endure very long. She's playing Skryim right now, if anyone's interested.

edit: scratch that, she got to 999K while I was typing this.

edit 2: she got there!

edit 3: Gosh she really is just a big ol' sweetheart. She's making me smile a big, big smile.

last edited at Jan 25, 2021 12:40AM

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Congrats to our sleepy reaper, our dorky dad. I think I'll rewatch her Mario Kart collab with Gura again for maximum silliness (after her endurance stream ends!)

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

I only caught parts of the stream, I'm so proud of our boi her.

This is seems TakaMori centric channel with spanish subs: https://youtube.com/channel/UCY0uOkTZxsmfidUFbNhuBjg
Seems to be a consistent weekly video, good stuff.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I only caught parts of the stream, I'm so proud of our boi her.

This is seems TakaMori centric channel with spanish subs: https://youtube.com/channel/UCY0uOkTZxsmfidUFbNhuBjg
Seems to be a consistent weekly video, good stuff.

Yeah, they've been making weekly compilations of Takmori moments for a few months now, pretty handy to catch up with the ship. Unfortunately, they got their channel nuked at the start of the year and some of their compilations were lost.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Go watch Amelia x Mel collab. It's a glorious mess LMAO

Tomoe is playing RE Remake, so I have to watch that too. There's too much to watch.

Yeah, they've been making weekly compilations of Takmori moments for a few months now, pretty handy to catch up with the ship. Unfortunately, they got their channel nuked at the start of the year and some of their compilations were lost.

I found it through recommended like a week ago. Good to know.

last edited at Jan 29, 2021 8:44AM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Did you know Akinator has a specific TakaMori question? If he's locked to HololiveEN with your answers he may/may not ask if your character has a wife LOL

Also:

On the bright side, this suggests Ame is attracted to the majority of people.

Sauce: https://twitter.com/XjkKitan/status/1355038975325470720?s=20

last edited at Jan 29, 2021 8:48AM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Did you know Akinator has a specific TakaMori question? If he's locked to HololiveEN with your answers he may/may not ask if your character has a wife LOL

I just tried, it locked on Kiara when he asked if my character was a chicken and with Calli he did ask me if the character was in a relationship before asking me if she was a rapper. :P

It was also pretty funny when Ame searched herself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8QStW_iYGc

To reply you must either login or sign up.