Forum › Crystal Sugar and Machine Gun discussion

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

That's pretty much sums up how I read it!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The reason why it feels a little disconected is that EERR style of storytelling and she/he usually draw the girls the way that they look 'unhappy' even when they are happy. Probably EERR and Ooshima Tomo are awere of this so the next chapter (the Tomo one) starts with a summary. Still, I like his/her style, and give us enough information to know the basics. As I understand, the plot is:

1.Nico overworks and ends in the hospital were she is reunited with Maki after years of lack of contact.
2. Maki tries to act distant at first, but she is pretty much still in love with her. Nico also tries to distance herself as eluding the memory of the promise of reuniting when se becomes a Super Idol.
3.They fight. But is not until she is out of the hospital that Nico realises that Maki waited for her all this years.
4. Nico becomes resolved and decides to enter a contest show for washed up celebrities. She is in a decent position, but not close of what she promised to Maki (a house bigger than hers) so the contest will have little effect if she wins and losing will mean that she would end as a laughing stock.
5. Maki glimpses the show while eating with her fiance and her family. Her marriage is pretty much an idea of her family that she goes along even when she hates it. Seeing Nico in the show makes her realise that this life is not what she wanted (and I hope that what she ended saying with the "I am..." is GAY)
6. Maki runs outside crying, realising that she went against her family wishes and with not place to go. Until she founds the candy box that she give to Nico in the hospital, now with a direction to Nico apartment.
7. They get reunited. If I need to bet knowing what they do in the next chapter, I would guess that the "faded dream" is not talking about the current moment but how they forgot about her dreams and wasted years of their lives as they were doing what "they are supposed to do" to get close to that dream. Both were living in comfortable lives but unhappy with themselves until they remembered that promise with the crystal candy

Sorry for the bad english :p

One thing to add to point 4 is that Nico deliberately chose to go on that show because she knew Maki would be home during the time it would air. She wanted Maki to see her determination.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, just had to re-read it a few times from different perspectives (as Nico and Maki) Haven't seen EERR's art style before so I assumed it was because of it. Hope the summary in the next chapter is expansive enough to see the important emotions, after all Tomo's art is very expressive.

Don't worry your English is good.

Nicouriconimp%20140px
joined Sep 5, 2012

OMG... a continuation... I thought it will take a while for the other chapter to come out. I was surprised...

(and I hope that what she ended saying with the "I am..." is GAY)

This needs to be quoted hahaha. WIN.
I gotta get out of this site before I end up staying all night again... thank you again for this chapter... and good luck translators..

joined Jan 11, 2014

The reason why it feels a little disconected is that EERR style of storytelling and she/he usually draw the girls the way that they look 'unhappy' even when they are happy. Probably EERR and Ooshima Tomo are awere of this so the next chapter (the Tomo one) starts with a summary. Still, I like his/her style, and give us enough information to know the basics. As I understand, the plot is:

1.Nico overworks and ends in the hospital were she is reunited with Maki after years of lack of contact.
2. Maki tries to act distant at first, but she is pretty much still in love with her. Nico also tries to distance herself as eluding the memory of the promise of reuniting when se becomes a Super Idol.
3.They fight. But is not until she is out of the hospital that Nico realises that Maki waited for her all this years.
4. Nico becomes resolved and decides to enter a contest show for washed up celebrities. She is in a decent position, but not close of what she promised to Maki (a house bigger than hers) so the contest will have little effect if she wins and losing will mean that she would end as a laughing stock.
5. Maki glimpses the show while eating with her fiance and her family. Her marriage is pretty much an idea of her family that she goes along even when she hates it. Seeing Nico in the show makes her realise that this life is not what she wanted (and I hope that what she ended saying with the "I am..." is GAY)
6. Maki runs outside crying, realising that she went against her family wishes and with not place to go. Until she founds the candy box that she give to Nico in the hospital, now with a direction to Nico apartment.
7. They get reunited. If I need to bet knowing what they do in the next chapter, I would guess that the "faded dream" is not talking about the current moment but how they forgot about her dreams and wasted years of their lives as they were doing what "they are supposed to do" to get close to that dream. Both were living in comfortable lives but unhappy with themselves until they remembered that promise with the crystal candy

Sorry for the bad english :p

Thank you so much, I had no idea what was going on.

joined Oct 5, 2014

I'm lost how did nico got in the hospital?

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

Exhaustion from overwork.

joined Oct 5, 2014

For what?

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

They don't explicitly say for what exactly.....but its implied that she is taking on numerous jobs (projects?) since she says things are piling up and that she has been a bit reckless.

Img_-yds5j4_50_1_75
joined Sep 27, 2013

Please.....continue.... TwT
I'd really love to follow this story :3

Img_-yds5j4_50_1_75
joined Sep 27, 2013

This story became more and more complicated. Love the complications tho. Emotions convulsing within me. All's good. But sorry to say, I don't really like the art, just for the 3rd chapter. And this 3rd chapter, it's a bit hard to understand regarding to the art too.

Img_-yds5j4_50_1_75
joined Sep 27, 2013

"Both were living in comfortable lives but unhappy with themselves until they remembered that promise with the crystal candy."

Still don't get it....what's with the crystal candy? What are the promises?

I see, thanks for the explanation. It's clearer now, but still the ending wasn't really happy or positive. At least to me it seemed that way. I guess the last chapter will make it more clearer what they are thinking, because in this one it was like they were going through the motions and not because they wanted it, for Maki it looked that way at least.

I thought that Maki was going through the motions of getting married and at the end she decided that wasn't right for her and went to be with Nico. Well...that's what I got out of it!

Yeah, she was going through the motions of getting married, but I meant the stuff with Nico at the end like she went from a thing she didn't like to a thing she didn't like a bit less than getting married to someone. I guess I'm saying her expressions weren't that emotional if even were (the page before the last seems like she has tears but before that just a blank look).

I'm not sure what you're looking for. Do you want Maki to be crying so hard she can barely walk? From how she's drawn, her facial expressions, her reactions, she clearly really depressed and has given up to a point. At the last minute though she realizes what it is she really wants. I think both of their reactions are pretty realistic. I'm sure Maki is scared, sad, happy, angry, and so terribly in love that she's shaking down to her soul with this decision. Maki knows she's about to give up a lot for her love and she made a decision, it wasn't time for her to curl up in a ball and start crying. They're not kids anymore, they don't have the luxury of keeping secrets like this and then run off into the sunset.

last edited at Oct 31, 2014 10:16AM

Img_20141023_180626
joined Oct 23, 2014

I've read the next chapter of this and I can't wait for it to be translated. Sadly, it might take a month to do so. Meh.

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

I've read the next chapter of this and I can't wait for it to be translated. Sadly, it might take a month to do so. Meh.

We literally just spent hours last night trying to figure out how to put the first two sentences of Memai Asteraythem into English LOL

Img_20141023_180626
joined Oct 23, 2014

We literally just spent hours last night trying to figure out how to put the first two sentences of Memai Asteraythem into English LOL

If only i can understand kanji. I will totally help you guys. :'(

joined May 3, 2014

so all the mangas are in Kanji????

417506_490968200913530_1320006850_n
joined Jun 8, 2013

the art is sooooo amazing!! i like it a lot..

joined Oct 5, 2014

Best maki x nico doujin ever

joined Jan 8, 2014

Maki is passionate in this, luv it!
Thanks for scantalating :)

joined Apr 14, 2013

I hope she doesnt get married

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

I hope she doesnt get married

I hope she does. To Nico!

Aru23
joined Jun 24, 2013

Amazing work, at this point is no surprise to anyone how good Tomo's works are. I'm glad their idea didn't got forgotten and actually went and draw it, it was a real pleasure to read.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Yep, adult Maki is still hot.

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

It's so beautiful I'm gonna cry!!! God I love NicoMaki so much!
Oh and btw, I kinda want to buy a physical copy of this doujin series. Anyone knows where I can order them online? :3

last edited at Nov 16, 2014 8:53PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.