Forum › August Monster discussion

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Oof. Definitely one of the few age gaps I've read that doesn't fall into silly, unrealistic tropes. Not really sure if I loved it or didn't like it at all.

Also, clueless tagging is clueless. Thank you Kurt!

last edited at Sep 21, 2014 6:12PM

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

that ending....frick

Fb_img_1492462408743
joined Jan 18, 2014

first work from mira that doesn't end up in lots of sex, it has a sad ending, i didn't understand why miya changed her mind about sensei

Episode9-2
joined Mar 9, 2014

Unusual, coming from Mira, I'm impressed :3 Nicely done

2015-01-21%2018.42.01
joined May 17, 2014

Oh tht ending, the feels. Obviously it was wrong and couldn't have worked out but I still would have liked it to... It'd be nice if it had a time spike sequel but then that defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Eraser-for-really-big-mistakes
joined Jul 21, 2013

I... what... no ...why

Scan0008
joined Apr 24, 2013

did something happen to Mira-sensei? it's quite rare to find something like this from her :|

joined Apr 6, 2013

I... what... no ...why

I had the same, thought but after thinking on it, I'm guessing Miya wasn't ready for a relationship. The fact that it was with someone older and with a girl might be too much pressure for a first relationship.

Honestly I kinda like the ending, sure it was bitter sweet, but not overly so and the reason for their break up made some since to me.

I would like to see a future comic with these two, getting back together or with others, either way it would be nice to see their next relationships work out.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

did something happen to Mira-sensei? it's quite rare to find something like this from her :|

Maybe she grew as a writer? Nice to see she's not sticking solely with stuff in her comfort zone.

Shiznat1
joined Aug 19, 2014

mira sensei yeess

joined Apr 1, 2013

Japanese endings at its best.
But i already guessed something like that because of the drama flag.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Maybe she grew as a writer? Nice to see she's not sticking solely with stuff in her comfort zone.

This is from 2008, actually. She has quite a few SFW works that are totally worthwhile, but they're SFW, and if there's anything that gets lost in scanlation, it's SFW doujinshi.

I thought it was a nice, bittersweet story. Although I love fluffy stuff too, most relationships that start <18 are gonna end relatively quickly.

Yeah, I decided I loved it. This pretty much sums up why. The major divide to be seen between the two - Miya who wanted a "Summer Monster", Eri who wanted a real relationship - was really interesting.

1601027_795818500441432_7671980177939230942_n
joined Apr 14, 2014

Yeah ... i did have to look two time the yuri tag to be sure its not het , and put my yuri goggle to see kondou-sensei has a woman, aside from that it was a nice read, a bittersweet one, but nice overall, the feeling of unsecure and fear of the first relationship and with a girl was well pictured.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/august_monster#31
what is love, baby d.... ok sorry im not doin it, but when i saw it there, its the first thing that came to my mind :D

last edited at Sep 21, 2014 8:48PM

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

Now I want the Good ending and Bad ending tags back.

joined Apr 13, 2012

whatever, at least it wasn't an angsty ending... i hate those
when characters doesn't have the guts to properly tell their partner to break up and things get awkward and painful... ugh

i'm glad it turned out like this, i liked it... anyone know if the song exists?

41d15eb7093baec072fbb832ad7e1d7d
joined Jun 27, 2014

A bittersweet story with a younger girl rushing into a love she really doesn't fully understand and in doing so she gets a little scared and backs away . I am deeply touched , and I wonder if Mira sensei stumbled across this in real life recently .

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I would be upset with the ending, but I really had a hard time following along as to what happened and why it happened.

Teenager rushes into a relationship that is "abnormal" to begin with (older/same sex), has second thoughts.

I thought it was a nice, bittersweet story. Although I love fluffy stuff too, most relationships that start <18 are gonna end relatively quickly.

The question really is did she back out because it was overwhelming, or because she wasn't a lesbian or bi in the first place? The story doesn't make the question clear, although the fact that she kept comparing the older girl to a guy ("boyfriend", looks like a guy, husky voice, sounds like a male singer she likes, etc.) suggests the latter.

In a funny way, it's sort of the opposite of Our Future Plans.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

A realistic, bittersweet age gap story which provided a nice change of pace. Also, I'm sort of amused by whoever of Miya's friends was yelling 'It's fine even if she's a woman! That sort of thing happens too!' and 'Don't worry about it, Miya! Go for it!'. We sure live in an (comparatively) enlightened age.

A bittersweet story with a younger girl rushing into a love she really doesn't fully understand and in doing so she gets a little scared and backs away . I am deeply touched , and I wonder if Mira sensei stumbled across this in real life recently .

Not very relevant, but actually you can see on the last page that it's from 2008. I wondered about that too, though.

Another_random_anime_girl_render__by_bakachasity-d5qdads
joined Feb 8, 2011

first work from mira that doesn't end up in lots of sex, it has a sad ending, i didn't understand why miya changed her mind about sensei

Usually at the age of Miya, teenagers don't tend to think about the future and consequences. Miya clearly said, "I hadn't paid any attention to it before...Kondou-sensei is a woman." It frightened her since she didn't think about going out with a girl before and the fact Kondou was her first love; it was more a rash action from Miya, but still accepted her love, however, she wasn't ready to date. Those are my thoughts. :)

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

I have a feeling that anything after page 14 were just a mere dream.

joined Nov 11, 2010

The question really is did she back out because it was overwhelming, or because she wasn't a lesbian or bi in the first place? The story doesn't make the question clear, although the fact that she kept comparing the older girl to a guy ("boyfriend", looks like a guy, husky voice, sounds like a male singer she likes, etc.) suggests the latter.

Even if Miya was straight prior to meeting sensei, I think this experience probably made her at least bi. The reason I'm pretty impressed with this one-shot is precisely because (and I don't mean this in any derogatory way) of Miya's self-awareness of being a 'brat'.

Like, the thing is that a 14 year old really doesn't have a solid idea of everything that exists in the world or all the possibilities of their life. Jumping into a relationship based just on emotions at that point is a pretty near-sighted thing to do, and a relationship with an older person who was supposed to be your teacher and is even a woman could have even more drastic consequences. A young person who is aware of and accepting of their immaturity (even while taking their feelings and experiences seriously) is something which I admire, 'cause I think that's the most responsible way to go about living that stage of life.

As for the emotions Miya felt themselves, however, they were certainly genuine/non-trivial, which is the key to why I think she'd take the possibility of female-female relationships in the future more seriously. You don't forget your first love, and this was certainly an event Miya will hold onto preciously even if she had to give up on it. The main idea is that realistically, 5 years or so from now, we really have no idea whether Miya and sensei would still be a good fit for each other, what kind of people they will be. However, there's no doubt that this event would've been part of what shaped them both, and in a positive way.

For my part, in any case, I feel pretty positive that most of Miya's relationships in the future would be with girls.

joined Aug 8, 2014

THE FEELS!! THE FEELS GUYS!!

Kumo2
joined Feb 18, 2014

That...wasn't something I was expecting from Mira, if you read all her other works, I think anyone would be surprise too.

But it was interesting, and realistic. Not every romance bear fruit after all :(

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Interesting introspection this plays to the audience...interesting look into the heart of a girl.

Miya doesn't know love. She doesn't know what love actually is. She cares for Kondou but not in the same way (for once that's actually a valid statement...most of the time that "I love you, but not the way you do" is completely misused to mean something else), and she's a very kind-hearted person.

Truth is, she never loved Kondou. The "love" that exploded that mira-sensei here talks about isn't love in a romantic sense...it's closest translation in language is admiration. Miya admired Kondou, but she didn't love her. That's why love built from admiration means nothing if there aren't feeling there sovereign of the admiration.

It's the hardest part about Age Gaps, both in stories and in real life. Sometimes you get mature kids who know what love is and legitimately fall into it with someone older than them like Otome from Hoshikawa Ginza District 4...and sometimes we get girls like Miya here who still haven't found out what it means to love.

last edited at Sep 22, 2014 12:57AM

0b955f79-53d7-4077-9788-189760d17f51
joined Aug 21, 2013

She was just curious

To reply you must either login or sign up.