Forum › Hanjuku Joshi discussion

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan posted:

Wait, this never occurred to me before, but is the title a joke on the word "fushoshi"? It seems like "hanjuku" here means something like half-formed, or half-done, and that's reinforced by the half-cooked egg in the beginning and the (translated?) title of "soft-boiled" for the extras.

Meanwhile the otaku sister is a fujoshi herself, maybe open for a "rotten egg" pun while Chitose is a "soft-boiled egg". Which makes the title more clever than I realized, if true.

Sadly no. Hanjuku simply mean half-cooked/soft-boiled​ or simply half-done, but also can be used with meaning of immature (half-mature, not yet fully/completely mature). Mari even refers to them like that, while implying that in order to become fully mature, they need to have sex with a guy. I'm pretty sure the words she used were "hanjuku joshi", but in the context of the scene, they decided to tl them as half-mature. And it fits with themes of the story, where they are still immature (half-baked) and try to better understand themselves and what it means to be yourself or to love someone else in order to become more mature. Bonus most likely simply uses the same word, but translated as soft-boiled.

So while it is tempting to make some jokes about Chitose's sister being half-rotten egg, the word itself doesn't really specify it has to be egg.

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Nezchan posted:

Wait, this never occurred to me before, but is the title a joke on the word "fushoshi"? It seems like "hanjuku" here means something like half-formed, or half-done, and that's reinforced by the half-cooked egg in the beginning and the (translated?) title of "soft-boiled" for the extras.

Meanwhile the otaku sister is a fujoshi herself, maybe open for a "rotten egg" pun while Chitose is a "soft-boiled egg". Which makes the title more clever than I realized, if true.

Sadly no. Hanjuku simply mean half-cooked/soft-boiled​ or simply half-done, but also can be used with meaning of immature (half-mature, not yet fully/completely mature). Mari even refers to them like that, while implying that in order to become fully mature, they need to have sex with a guy. I'm pretty sure the words she used were "hanjuku joshi", but in the context of the scene, they decided to tl them as half-mature. And it fits with themes of the story, where they are still immature (half-baked) and try to better understand themselves and what it means to be yourself or to love someone else in order to become more mature. Bonus most likely simply uses the same word, but translated as soft-boiled.

So while it is tempting to make some jokes about Chitose's sister being half-rotten egg, the word itself doesn't really specify it has to be egg.

Couldn't it still be a pun on the word "fujoshi" in addition to that stuff? I don't see how what you said contradicts Nezchan's observation.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

themusicman500 posted:

Couldn't it still be a pun on the word "fujoshi" in addition to that stuff? I don't see how what you said contradicts Nezchan's observation.

Word fujoshi has nothing to do with hanjuku? Hanjuku Fujoshi (the tittle of bonus chapters) basically works the same way as tittle of the manga, but because it is focused on Chitose's sister, instead of word Joshi (girl/s) we got Fujoshi, so Half-cooked/Soft-boiled Fujoshi. Since it tells about her love story, the tittle most likely has the same meaning of half-mature as main series. If there is any pun, you could say it is changing Joshi to Fujoshi (which isn't really even a pun), but that still doesn't mean any soft-boiled eggs. There is simply no pun there. She is immature rotten girl learning about love.

last edited at Feb 27, 2018 5:43PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

No opinion whatsoever on the topic, but this thread has made me re-read the whole story, and:

Ran and Mari in disguise at the amusement park is totally hilarious (and their watching over the little ones is extremely sweet).

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

themusicman500 posted:

Word fujoshi has nothing to do with hanjuku? Hanjuku Fujoshi (the tittle of bonus chapters) basically works the same way as tittle of the manga, but because it is focused on Chitose's sister, instead of word Joshi (girl/s) we got Fujoshi, so Half-cooked/Soft-boiled Fujoshi. Since it tells about her love story, the tittle most likely has the same meaning of half-mature as main series. If there is any pun, you could say it is changing Joshi to Fujoshi (which isn't really even a pun), but that still doesn't mean any soft-boiled eggs. There is simply no pun there. She is immature rotten girl learning about love.

It doesn't have to be a pun to be a joke or a reference. There are two kinds of ~joshi here, and given Morishima's background she's probably considered herself one in a way. So you've got the fu-joshi and the hanjuku joshi, and then the extras show that the fujoshi is a bit hanjuku after all.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan posted:

It doesn't have to be a pun to be a joke or a reference. There are two kinds of ~joshi here, and given Morishima's background she's probably considered herself one in a way. So you've got the fu-joshi and the hanjuku joshi, and then the extras show that the fujoshi is a bit hanjuku after all.

Yes, since both use the same kanji for girl(s) joshi. As I said, it does make it a bit of a play on title (even if I still think it was more of a coincident, than something she planned all along), but that doesn't change the fact nothing really suggest she wanted Chitose to be soft-boiled egg and her sister to be soft-boiled rotten egg.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan posted:

Yes, since both use the same kanji for girl(s) joshi. As I said, it does make it a bit of a play on title (even if I still think it was more of a coincident, than something she planned all along), but that doesn't change the fact nothing really suggest she wanted Chitose to be soft-boiled egg and her sister to be soft-boiled rotten egg.

You are SO hung up in the "rotten egg" phrase when that wasn't even the point.

Not to mention, what's the original title for the extra? It's translated as "Soft-Boiled Fujoshi", so was it "Hanjuku Fujoshi" after all?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan posted:

Wasn't that your original point?

Nezchan posted:

Meanwhile the otaku sister is a fujoshi herself, maybe open for a "rotten egg" pun while Chitose is a "soft-boiled egg".

Nezchan posted:

Not to mention, what's the original title for the extra? It's translated as "Soft-Boiled Fujoshi", so was it "Hanjuku Fujoshi" after all?

Since I don't have raws I can't say for sure, but I'd assume so since they translated it like that.

last edited at Feb 27, 2018 7:48PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan posted:

Wasn't that your original point?

Nezchan posted:

Meanwhile the otaku sister is a fujoshi herself, maybe open for a "rotten egg" pun while Chitose is a "soft-boiled egg".

Exactly what it says in your quoted text, it's an aside. The main point was the two different kinds of "joshi", not the egg thing per se.

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Exactly what it says in your quoted text, it's an aside. The main point was the two different kinds of "joshi", not the egg thing per se.

I think Nevri is implying that, based on her experience with Japanese, the title having joshi in it was definitely NOT intended to reference the word "fujoshi," even though it seems to me like it could have been. I believe it.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan posted:

The main point was the two different kinds of "joshi", not the egg thing per se.

My bad then. I thought you meant the soft-boiled and rotten parts were the joke. Well yea. Joshi 女子 (woman, girl) is a common word, fujoshi 腐女子 is a term meaning "rotten girl", because supposedly only someone morally degenerated can be such huge fan of yaoi and get excited by 2 guys making out (I knew it meant rotting and most people tl'ed it as such, but now I see the kanji can also mean depraved, so it is obviously the intended meaning here). Hence why I was more inclined for connection to be more of a coincident, since they both just happen to use word woman. It still can make it a funny play on the title, but making it wasn't really anything complex.

joined Mar 15, 2017

Hanjuku such-and-such is a little bit of a titling cliche.

There is a connection that could be made between half-ripened and rotten, so Hanjuku Joshi could have been a good title for a manga about a fujoshi coming of age or something like that, but my sense is that it's not what's behind the naming of this manga.

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

First time reading this (I only recently started getting into yuri, wasn't too much of a manga reader in general prior), and I have to say this is towards the top of my list so far. Wanted to give it a bump so if anyone else ever missed it, they might give it a chance. Don't be thrown off by the lots of sex tag, it's more sensual and passionate than anything.

I love the dialogue about how it's not "even though you are a girl" but rather it's "because you are a girl." It felt really meaningful to me.

Picture%20edit
joined Dec 13, 2016

Absolutely criminal that there is so little discussion on this work! This is one of my favorite yuri coming-of-age stories, and while obviously sexual in nature, it does not fall into the trap of showing sex just to have it, but rather uses it as the vehicle of self-discovery. I honestly rank it up there with Girlfriends in terms of same-sex coming-of-age romance.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This was so cute and wholesome, and the sex scenes felt really well integrated. <3
That part with Chie-nee-san and Yuria-chan was nice too. xD

56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

I hope there is a series for nee-chan and yuri-chan.. Hahahaha..

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Every time I read this I fall more and more in love with it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Every time I read this I fall more and more in love with it.

Same here. A poster above complains that there's not more discussion of the series, and I take the point, but actually there's not much I have to say except:

• It's excellent
  • I wish there were more of it
  • I wish there were more things like it
  • I wish there were more things as good as it
Gg
joined Jul 13, 2018

I love the dialogue about how it's not "even though you are a girl" (we still fell in love), but rather it's "because you are a girl" (that we fell in love). It felt really meaningful to me.

This reminds me of "My Wife Is A Man" (yaoi, trap). The MC also said something similar:
- I love you
- But I am a boy!
- What a coincidence! I'm a boy too!
(the way he bursted into tears after hearing that is very moving - definitely check out that specific scene)

I hope there would be more meaningful stuffs like these in mangas.

P/S: Youko (iirc)'s boyfriend used "lesbo" to address our cute dorks in love. Is that a sin?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

P/S: Youko (iirc)'s boyfriend used "lesbo" to address our cute dorks in love. Is that a sin?

Why yes, when used by a het boy, it is. The punishment is that your girlfriend falls in love with another girl.

Poetic justice, I believe it’s called.

Gg
joined Jul 13, 2018

My thoughts about each couples:

Yae x Chitose: if only every lovers' quarrels could be solved like that; if only every yuri couples could have such courage to stand tall like that; if only yuri sex could be cute like that :v

Mari x Ran: so heartwarming (Ran sensei does NOT give a fck about who or how many people Mari slept with in the past - she only cares about the present where Ran loves her, and their future ahead. Also Mari's "not this body" quote)

Mangaka-neechan x Yuri-chan: finally something yuri-ist :v (I like adult yuri more, but cute lovey-dovey yuri is always welcomed)

I love YaeChitose most, but my favorito goes towards MariRan for their contribution towards humanity's Yuri philosophy.

last edited at Feb 22, 2019 8:20PM

Hololive%2032
joined May 1, 2018

When I first read this series, the sex scene between Yae and Chitose just felt awkward... now that I'm rereading it, I realize that it's not only intentional, but that it very well conveys the author's message. Chitose and Yae ARE awkward, and don't REALLY know how to do this yet, and the only things that made me realize the difference between intentional awkwardness as opposed to accidental awkwardness was the mastery with which Morishima handles later scenes, and the fact that they're doing a fantastic job with Mari and Ran at the exact same time, all to show a clear difference. Artistic, beautiful, and sexy. Incredible.

BTW I'm referring to the scene in chapter 9, the very first sex scene between Chitose and Yae. I love this series, and suggest it heavily to anyone that's interested in seeing the good side of the yuri genre.

last edited at Mar 18, 2019 5:13AM

1478_nogirlsallowed
joined Oct 26, 2018

do those arms not have bones in them LOL

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

I just love how this manga treasures the most important thing in yuri for me: loving a girl while being a girl.
"I'm happy and proud that I love a girl, and that I'm a girl too".
Thank you so much, Morishima.

Madeleinedupris
joined Apr 8, 2019

I just love how this manga treasures the most important thing in yuri for me: loving a girl while being a girl.
"I'm happy and proud that I love a girl, and that I'm a girl too".
Thank you so much, Morishima.

Exactly, I love how she is an out lesbian herself, and she is not ashamed of having two girls just make magic happen. There’s no “what if guys were like so and so” bullshit in most of her works which is what I really like.

To reply you must either login or sign up.