Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Just saw this up on Reddit (https://i.redd.it/aa0m4978oua21.jpg) and you need to see it. Some more here as well (https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=72678446)

Oh damn, Yuu with cat ears...I love this...
Thanks you for this. :D

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

http://okazu.yuricon.com/2019/01/20/yuri-light-novel-yagate-kimi-ni-naru-saeki-sayaka-ni-tsuite-%E3%82%84%E3%81%8C%E3%81%A6%E5%90%9B%E3%81%AB%E3%81%AA%E3%82%8B-%E4%BD%90%E4%BC%AF%E6%B2%99%E5%BC%A5%E9%A6%99%E3%81%AB%E3%81%A4%E3%81%84/

Review of Bloom into You LN

Key quote: “In the end, I will become you.” The transliteration “Bloom Into You” is not much of a help, since again, as a westerner, I presumed a first person subject.

I was wrong. As I read this novel, I realized how wrong I was. The subject is not first person…it is second person. “In the end, you will become you(rself).” And with that realization, I saw what I had never seen before – there is only one plot in the manga, but that plot applies equally to every character. Every character is in the process of becoming themselves. In retrospect that seems kind of “duh” for this series, but when you realize how it all is being handled by Nakatani Nio-sensei, it suddenly becomes really rather extraordinary. We are of course watching these children become themselves, but holy shit we are watching an intentional narrative of these children becoming who they are and learning to verbalize and accept themselves and…wow. The same plot applies as much to Sayaka as it does for Touko and Yuu. And Maki. And Miyako. And everyone else.

last edited at Jan 20, 2019 7:34PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

http://okazu.yuricon.com/2019/01/20/yuri-light-novel-yagate-kimi-ni-naru-saeki-sayaka-ni-tsuite-%E3%82%84%E3%81%8C%E3%81%A6%E5%90%9B%E3%81%AB%E3%81%AA%E3%82%8B-%E4%BD%90%E4%BC%AF%E6%B2%99%E5%BC%A5%E9%A6%99%E3%81%AB%E3%81%A4%E3%81%84/

Review of Bloom into You LN

Key quote: “In the end, I will become you.” The transliteration “Bloom Into You” is not much of a help, since again, as a westerner, I presumed a first person subject.

I was wrong. As I read this novel, I realized how wrong I was. The subject is not first person…it is second person. “In the end, you will become you(rself).” And with that realization, I saw what I had never seen before – there is only one plot in the manga, but that plot applies equally to every character. Every character is in the process of becoming themselves. In retrospect that seems kind of “duh” for this series, but when you realize how it all is being handled by Nakatani Nio-sensei, it suddenly becomes really rather extraordinary. We are of course watching these children become themselves, but holy shit we are watching an intentional narrative of these children becoming who they are and learning to verbalize and accept themselves and…wow. The same plot applies as much to Sayaka as it does for Touko and Yuu. And Maki. And Miyako. And everyone else.

I’m sorry, I first came to the Dynasty forum because I was appalled at Erica Friedman’s crudely dismissive, in fact quite damning, review of the early chapters of this series, and I was curious to hear what other people might have to say about it. I’m delighted she’s changed her mind about the series, but to hear her say (in the linked review),

“I said from early on in the series, that I was giving Nakatani-sensei the benefit of the doubt.”

is just a bit rich. In a way I’m rather grateful to her, because her blatant mis-reading of YagaKimi being about Touko’s “coercion” of Yuu led me to do my own first careful close readings of yuri manga, which I have enjoyed doing a great deal since then.

So I do give her credit for changing her critical position, but the difference between “I said from early on” and “I said from the beginning” is a pretty slick rewriting of history. She says, “I was wrong,” but only in relation to the translation of the title and its thematic import, not “I was wrong at first because I wasn’t actually paying attention to what the text actually said.”

I don’t mean to derail conversation about the substance of the review, but, as I said, I only discovered this community of intelligent and thoughtful readers (and also everybody else), because Erica Friedman’s vicious negative review of YagaKimi led me to re-read the opening chapters carefully, only to discover that she was simply wrong about the specifics of the text itself.

But I guess I’m glad that the point-by-point rebuttal of that review that I’ve been writing and re-writing in my head ever since will never need to actually be written, because I wrote this post instead. :)

last edited at Jan 20, 2019 8:35PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Isn't it a tad odd that she changed her mind because of the spin-off LN though...?
Reading the manga should be enough evidence on its own, but why would anyone who dearly hated something read its spin-off...?

People are weird.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Isn't it a tad odd that she changed her mind because of the spin-off LN though...?
Reading the manga should be enough evidence on its own, but why would anyone who dearly hated something read its spin-off...?

People are weird.

I think she’s been gradually changing her position from “F**k this, it’s about coercion” to “Nakatani gets the benefit of the doubt” for some time.

And I don’t intend to be mean about this, but I suspect that the considerable attention to Sayaka (an out—to herself—lesbian) recently in the series and the LN helps align YagaKimi with her ideological preferences.

(Those preferences are fine—everybody has them, and as general ideas I agree with them more than not. But I’ve gone to that site several times to get a take on series that she panned on grounds that were clearly contradicted by the text itself. So I don’t go there anymore.)

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

For a long time since that infamous Tou-kun coerced Yuu review, she said that the only thing she liked about YagaKimi was Sayaka (& the adult couples), that's probably why she picked up the LN. I don't know if this new revelation will help improve her reading comprehension of the series going forward, seeing how long she's gone misreading the entire series. But I guess I should give her the benefit of the doubt too.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

For a long time since that infamous Tou-kun coerced Yuu review, she said that the only thing she liked about YagaKimi was Sayaka (& the adult couples), that's probably why she picked up the LN. I don't know if this new revelation will help improve her reading comprehension of the series going forward, seeing how long she's gone misreading the entire series. But I guess I should give her the benefit of the doubt too.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, beyond the “coercion” canard (on reading the chapters carefully I discovered that Yuu was actually pretty aggressive with the (non-romantic) skinship), another major problem was Friedman’s assertion that “She won’t take no for answer” (about Yuu taking the campaign manager’s job) showed that Touko was an abuser, because “no means no.”

Of course, the “no means no” campaign in regard to dating/sexual intimacy is a crucial and absolutely correct idea, but as a confirmed introvert I can say for a fact that during high school, being talked into doing various everyday things against my initial disinclination to do them was called “my social life.”

When the issue was “Let’s go to the mall,” or “Come with me to so-and-so’s party Saturday night,” my “no” actually meant, “I’d rather stay in my room and read The Lord of the Rings for the fifth time,” or, “So-and-so is fine, but Dickhead #1 and #2 will probably be there, so no.” Fairly often, given more time to think about it and with the right kind of cajoling (it was no accident my best friend was notably extroverted), I would end up going. But if I really didn’t want to do something, I wouldn’t do it.

As it happens, one of those things I was asked to do was—wait for it—being in the school play. My BFF had a crush on one of the leads and wanted a wingman, and my first response, like Yuu’s, was “forget about it.” I eventually did go along, ending up with a backstage job, of course, while my friend got a small comedic role. It was really kind of fun, actually, and I never would have done it on my own.

So calling Touko “coercive” is a very shoddy reading, but to invoke the “no means no” rule in regard to what happened in the story (the kind of thing that happens all the time in everyday life) is at best highly disingenuous—equating someone saying, “Aw, c’mon, it’ll be fun” or “Please? This would really help me out!” with the bullying tactics of date rapists goes beyond just having a narrow critical perspective.

Of course, Touko certainly is stubborn, but her “coercive” methods of getting Yuu to do what she wants never go beyond making an (admittedly powerful) pleading pouty face.

last edited at Jan 21, 2019 11:32PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

If anyone is interested to see how the beta character designs look like, here they are: https://m.imgur.com/a/8pJjrJq

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

If anyone is interested to see how the beta character designs look like, here they are: https://m.imgur.com/a/8pJjrJq

I'm trying to decide whether those images were a blessing or a curse for me. Could it be both simultaneously?

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

That's kinda neat. :)

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

I actually prefer the way they're drawn there. Maybe because I like sketchier art in general.

Thanks for the pics

Images
joined Sep 1, 2014

Touko and Yuu love each other, Touko doesn't love Sayaka, those are the facts, from the first chapter it's obvious it will end with Touko and Yuu together.
But still, this chapter succeeded in instilling a sliver of doubt in me, if atleast I didn't hate Sayaka's character (although I'm sure she'll get her redemption, as most third wheels do), it would be more bearable.

Why do so many romances need a third wheel to "help" the main couple get together, especially the "old friend that never dared to confess their feelings" type, those are the worst in my opinion.

Anyway, if the manga was over, I'm sure this chapter wouldn't have left me such a bitter taste. Really hope the anime gets a sequel.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Touko and Yuu love each other, Touko doesn't love Sayaka, those are the facts, from the first chapter it's obvious it will end with Touko and Yuu together.
But still, this chapter succeeded in instilling a sliver of doubt in me, if atleast I didn't hate Sayaka's character (although I'm sure she'll get her redemption, as most third wheels do), it would be more bearable.

Why do so many romances need a third wheel to "help" the main couple get together, especially the "old friend that never dared to confess their feelings" type, those are the worst in my opinion.

While it's true that in general YagaKimi uses a lot of familiar tropes, it's also true that those tropes are usually given a new twist or unusual development, and I think Sayaka's role is one of them.

For one thing, Sayaka isn't really an "old" friend--she's only known Touko a year or so longer than Yuu has--and we're given a pretty complete picture of why she hasn't previously confessed--it's not just that she's afraid to, but she knows that Touko is (or had been) incredibly wary of letting anyone get close to her, and she understood that she could best help Touko by being her friend rather than by pushing her own feelings further.

I agree that the "friend who exists only to push the main couple together" can be a pretty weak trope when it's just a mechanic to move the plot along, and I totally agree with your first sentence--Sayaka and Touko will not end up together.

Sayaka's confession probably will be the event that breaks up the emotional logjam in the plot, but usually the only thing I care about is that the MC actually does turn down the (romantic threat) third wheel; but in this case I'm fascinated by how it will work out, and what the emotional consequences will be for everyone.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Only seeing Sayaka as a third wheel kinda misses the point of the story. Sayaka is the triagonist of the series. Her story and growth provides another layer of depth to this whole coming of age tale. Her confession isn't just a move to simply help push Touko & You along. It will certainly do that, but ch 36-37 are another page in her own arc that shows how much she's come along since the beginning. Her "redemption" happens back in ch 26 when she chose to stop being a coward about the status quo and lend Yuu a hand in helping Touko. I don't see why who she is now needs any redemption. Sayaka did nothing wrong here.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Only seeing Sayaka as a third wheel kinda misses the point of the story. Sayaka is the triagonist of the series. Her story and growth provides another layer of depth to this whole coming of age tale. Her confession isn't just a move to simply help push Touko & You along. It will certainly do that, but ch 36-37 are another page in her own arc that shows how much she's come along since the beginning. Her "redemption" happens back in ch 26 when she chose to stop being a coward about the status quo and lend Yuu a hand in helping Touko. I don't see why who she is now needs any redemption. Sayaka did nothing wrong here.

We don't have upvotes for posts here, so I just wanted to say, yeah, I agree--I started to say something like it, but you did it better than I would have.

Like I said--this story has a lot of familiar pieces, but it's playing out a considerably more complex and nuanced game with them than usual.

Touko%20avatar
joined Jan 20, 2019

After chapter 37 I have seen some parallels:

1. In the beginning the story, Yuu's classmate and friend confesses in love and offers go out with him. She asks to give her time to think, but ultimately refuses, because she doesn't feel anything special to him. And now, after 36 chapters classmate and best friend Touko's (Sayaka) confesses her love. And also a pause to think. And also the imminent refusal in the next chapter also hangs. Yuu had no romantic feelings for that guy the same as Touko for Sayaka.

2. Touko's first kiss (Chapter 2) and Yuu's first kiss (Chapter 34) => https://i.imgur.com/LRBOeAr.jpg. I think these two scenes are VERY similar (unlike their other kisses). Starting from the design and layout of the pages (posture, angles) and ending with the emotions of Yuu and Touko, who change roles. In the chapter 2, Yuu was struck by the first kiss of Touko, at the chapter 34 Touko experiences exactly the same surprise from the first kiss from Yuu. They have the same surprise from each other's actions, because Touko feels like Yuu then, and Yuu feels like Touko (being in love).

Starting from chapter 34 the title "Eventually, I Will Become You" (the literal translation of "Yagate Kimi ni Naru") begins to come true and ... the story will repeat.
What do you think?

last edited at Jan 24, 2019 1:20PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I honestly don't know who thought Sayaka was actually doing something wrong. She may be the obstacle from one point of view, but her actions are completely legitimate and deserved.

Starting from chapter 34 the title "Eventually, I Will Become You" (the literal translation of "Yagate Kimi ni Naru") begins to come true and ... the story will repeat.
What do you think?

I assume you don't mean a literal repeat of events, but rather a similarity in theme?
There is definitely something to be said about mirroring previous events and themes in a profound way, but to me it appears that Yuu simply has reached the same place as Touko now, while Touko is at the brink of moving past that.

The only way to move past this hurdle is together however.

I agreed that Yuu x Touko are the endgame of the series, but I also want Sayaka to be happy too & stay best friend's with Touko also stay on good terms with each other even after her confession, she deserves just as much happiness as Yuu & Touko do.
I think that Nakatani sensei is planing to have Sayaka have her own happiness in the series too, like having that free-spirited girl from the light novel about Sayaka's past show up in the main-series, cause that girl actually had feelings for Sayaka.
Also side note what you mean by redemption Sayaka hasn't done anything bad or wrong in the series.

last edited at Jan 25, 2019 10:33AM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Raws out: https://imgur.com/a/SnBxsoo

This chap is A LOT. I needed tissues. So proud of both Touko & Sayaka.

Also, YagaKimi stage play confirmed for May

last edited at Jan 25, 2019 10:56AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Let's hope it's better than the Spider-man musical.

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016
  • Looks at RAWS *

Ohh....

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Wow. I don’t even need to understand the text to know that this is going to be a good one.

Interesting (and lovely) staging/scenery—not quite like anything we’ve seen here before.

Also, ducks. Ducks of love.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Gwah! Can't wait for it to be translated and put here on Dynasty Reader!

Let's hope it's better than the Spider-man musical.

Lol.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Bonus detail: Guess what’s back on the outside of Touko’s bag.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Bonus detail: Guess what’s back on the outside of Touko’s bag.

The strap she bought on that aquarium date?

To reply you must either login or sign up.