Forum › I decided to fake a marriage with my junior (♀️) to shut my parents up discussion

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Nezchan posted:

Probably the ratings were not stellar so the editor told her to wrap it in one chapter. Just guessing, but mangakas rarely cut their manga short willingly.

Huh. Interesting that you thought the exact same thing about NTR (just happened to notice your post near the top of the page there). And yet, as someone pointed out here, it was meant to be a short series to start with and marketed as such.

Maybe it's nothing to do with the editor, and you just don't like how she does endings?

Maybe. It's not that I don't like her happy endings, it's just that a lot of her manga have a tendency to end in a single chapter, rather abruptly.

I don't know how to explain the feeling. Here, it's like the first two chapters were written to start something longer, with drama and all, but then the third chapter wrapped it all up because someone decided it wasn't worth it.

As if she wrote the first two chapters in one go, hoping for a longer serialization, but then Yuri Hime told her "that's okay, but make it short and wrap it up".

I'm just guessing though. FWIW, I'm even probably wrong and they just asked her for a short story, which she delivered.

And for people complaining about drama, See https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_world_without_freedom_ch06#39

She loves "soap-opera drama".

All in all, I don't dislike Kodama Naoko's works. I'm a sucker for well written angst. But then her stories always seem to fall short.

last edited at Jun 24, 2018 1:25PM

Fb_img_1479131434796
joined Oct 6, 2014

I actually agree with the person above me. The first two chapters seemed like the start of something longer and it was surprising that everything was crammed into a third chapter. Hell, a fourth chapter would have probably helped flesh it out further.

Lots of cringe-y things here, but I'm not surprised when it comes to this author. I think they still have a long way to go when it comes to storytelling and I'm really hoping we can get some well-written angst from them soon. Good luck, Kodama!

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Man that was great. It could have been a litte longer, though. I hate when the author tries to stretch the plot out, and ends up just spinning their wheels, but this story could have taken one or two more chapters to show Machi really falling for Hana.

91174211_215395393136656_8792315491096985600_n
joined Dec 5, 2016

10/10 will Yuri again.

Same. Wish there was just a tad bit more, though.

last edited at Jun 24, 2018 1:38PM

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

So a lot development, confront her mother, think that she been married can be good but initially excluding Hana and realized that is because live with her is good that make her think like this.
You can a lot thing done in a full work chapter.

Little Red Rum
joined Mar 6, 2015

Thank god Machi is an honest soul and not a tsundere

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Won't complain cos it's a happy end :P today is not a day for drama for me

1916028_1073061359394379_8287547252845901979_n
joined May 1, 2017

Good ending hell yeah

Hqdefault%20(2)
joined Apr 5, 2018

Ended happy but i wish there was more

062589fd3c9f5577a916b303e3c6c27f
joined Nov 16, 2013

I-is this real? A happy Kodama Naoko story?

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

Wait a happy end where they together from this author? Am I high?

Grtertet
joined Aug 24, 2014

Okay, I've heard enough from NiccoloPaganini to decide that you're way too argumentative, a sock of an already banned member and that your concertos are frankly overrated despite your technical ability.

Say hi to your MENSA buddies for me, and don't ever come back.

Did you just ban a guy because he was "way too argumentative"? Great reasoning lol.

Banning someone because he has a different opinion, and maybe didnt really argumented well, very mature and not low at all.
great.

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

This was a cute short manga. I don't mind the length, but it certainly ended pretty abruptly... I think if she had just confessed after seeing her mom out the door it would have been better paced.

B25e08d9df956cc70b30a6cce4e9e9cb
joined Aug 27, 2013

This was the dramless story and happy ending I didn't wait for nor I deserved but enjoyed a lot.

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

This was a cute short manga. I don't mind the length, but it certainly ended pretty abruptly... I think if she had just confessed after seeing her mom out the door it would have been better paced.

Or, if instead of saying "I'm thinking maybe marriage isn't really a bad thing after all..." she said "I'm thinking maybe THIS marriage isn't really a bad thing after all...", that would have shown Hana her changing feelings about her.

Sharkexpert12
2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

Or, if instead of saying "I'm thinking maybe marriage isn't really a bad thing after all..." she said "I'm thinking maybe THIS marriage isn't really a bad thing after all...", that would have shown Hana her changing feelings about her.

I can forgive it she did just realize she is gay in that moment so not being 100% is expected.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think that's my problem with this story, which makes me enjoy it a bit less than I'd like to (although I still like it). The characters are described pretty sketchily, relying on the reader to interpret some vague cues to understand them. One's bad at communicating and doesn't understand her desires well, but it looks more like she's sleepwalking through her scenes. The other's more forthright and is holding herself back from hoping for more, but even that isn't very clear until she explicitly says it in the last chapter. The writing leaves too much out, and doesn't show enough to give the reader much to grab hold of.

But the art's good and the situation is fun and the resolution makes sense and the fact that they actually tried to communicate with each other is refreshing, so it's not like it's all bad or anything. It's just...it feels like I'm trying to make a meal out of cotton candy. It's sweet and fun but there's no substance and then it's gone.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Beautiful :')

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

I think that's my problem with this story, which makes me enjoy it a bit less than I'd like to (although I still like it). The characters are described pretty sketchily, relying on the reader to interpret some vague cues to understand them. One's bad at communicating and doesn't understand her desires well, but it looks more like she's sleepwalking through her scenes. The other's more forthright and is holding herself back from hoping for more, but even that isn't very clear until she explicitly says it in the last chapter. The writing leaves too much out, and doesn't show enough to give the reader much to grab hold of.

But the art's good and the situation is fun and the resolution makes sense and the fact that they actually tried to communicate with each other is refreshing, so it's not like it's all bad or anything. It's just...it feels like I'm trying to make a meal out of cotton candy. It's sweet and fun but there's no substance and then it's gone.

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/cotton_candy Did you make a reference to this with the last sentence?

Af267db85fb807c236bec00e4764f448
joined Dec 27, 2017

This is so cute <3

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

This is the least Kodama manga I've ever read from her. So naturally it's the best one, kek.
I cant believe she made up all the potential edgy drama plot points and didn't actually make them a thing, tho I'm sure the temptation was real. Mom stuff got taken care of in like 6 pages too. Good shit.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

On the one side I'm glad the drama with the mother was settled quickly, but on the other side I'm worried because it's still the first few chapters and the story is still continuing.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/cotton_candy Did you make a reference to this with the last sentence?

No.

Smoltopbun
joined Mar 2, 2018

The plot was fairly simple overall so Kodama could have opted for drama and angst (which I felt some vibes in chapter 2) or opted to end the story. I'm glad she choose the later and ended it elegantly. Kodama can be good mangaka based on how she decide her story should go.

juanelric posted:

On the one side I'm glad the drama with the mother was settled quickly, but on the other side I'm worried because it's still the first few chapters and the story is still continuing.

The story is over Jim. It says fin on the last page.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Takkyomi, Ender of Dreams

I doubt she had a choice to end the series, it was probably cut. That last chapter felt like she just had to make everything come to a head. Or hell, maybe it was a contract for a three part series in Yuri Hime. I don't really know how they do what they do there, but either way this smells like an editor or publisher choice rather than an artist choice.

*Ah, someone already said this... I'll just, uh, exit stage left.

last edited at Jun 24, 2018 11:04PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.