Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Touko's reactions on pp. 11-12 look a lot like Yuu's walking up to her and smacking her was not in the script. Sayaka's baffled stare on p. 9 also makes me think Touko might have ad-libbed her previous line - maybe Yuu saw that from the sidelines and was encouraged to one-up.

Ehhh, I'm pretty sure they're just acting. The blocking and dialogue follow the context of the play pretty closely, and if they'd ad-libbed, the author would have shown the other characters reacting to it, either during the moment or at least after the play was over.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The blocking and dialogue follow the context of the play pretty closely, and if they'd ad-libbed, the author would have shown the other characters reacting to it, either during the moment or at least after the play was over.

I agree that Touko’s (or rather the patient’s) reaction to getting bopped by the nurse makes sense (although it’s a bit slapstick for the situation), but Sayaka really looks more taken aback when I’d expect the girlfriend to just be pleased at the line (as she is in the subsequent panels).

And they really haven’t had enough time for a post-mortem on the performance, since they immediately had to clear out the stage for the next group.

It’ll be interesting to see how the next part gets staged in terms of who talks to whom and in what order. There are about four or five conversations that I’m really interested in seeing.

Kanadechan%20sxdvfgbn
joined May 24, 2017

If I was Touko’s father, I would say something like this.
http://imgur.com/f9kFN1I

Your kids are going to hate you if you make a habit of randomly shipping them with people you've never met. ;p

Thanks for the warning. :)
And don't worry, I definitely won't do something like that in real life.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The blocking and dialogue follow the context of the play pretty closely, and if they'd ad-libbed, the author would have shown the other characters reacting to it, either during the moment or at least after the play was over.

I agree that Touko’s (or rather the patient’s) reaction to getting bopped by the nurse makes sense (although it’s a bit slapstick for the situation), but Sayaka really looks more taken aback when I’d expect the girlfriend to just be pleased at the line (as she is in the subsequent panels).

As I said, it could be part of the acting, or it could just bee that even if it's a play, Having Touko look her dead in the eye and say "I'm happy that you love me" could have hit her in the feels. I still feel pretty confident that if anybody had broken script in the play, we would've gotten a reaction from somebody in the moment.

And they really haven’t had enough time for a post-mortem on the performance, since they immediately had to clear out the stage for the next group.

But it only takes one panel of the author perking up or somebody off-stage reacting to the "change" by double-checking their script.

It’ll be interesting to see how the next part gets staged in terms of who talks to whom and in what order. There are about four or five conversations that I’m really interested in seeing.

Yeah, although more than anything I desperately want to see Yuu and Touko's next conversation.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yeah, although more than anything I desperately want to see Yuu and Touko's next conversation.

Greedy, greedy. (Me too, of course.)

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if before that big one we got some "deck clearing" scenes: Touko & her parents; whatever that new theatre-sensei is about; Touko & Sayaka, or maybe even an interrupted Touko & Yuu scene as a prelim.

I actually think a Yuu-Sayaka scene might be pretty interesting.

(And is "Maki knows" a completely dead letter at this point?)

joined Nov 5, 2017

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if before that big one we got some "deck clearing" scenes: Touko & her parents; whatever that new theatre-sensei is about; Touko & Sayaka, or maybe even an interrupted Touko & Yuu scene as a prelim.

Or the next chapter randomly focuses on a side character (chapter 25 & 27, I'm talking to you). That would be terrible considering where the last chapter ended...

I actually think a Yuu-Sayaka scene might be pretty interesting.

Same.

(And is "Maki knows" a completely dead letter at this point?)

Maki knowing was never supposed to be relevant so it's not a dead letter. Nakatani said he is just the audience's self-insert (that also explains his lack of interest in romance) and also a contrast to Yuu (something already shown in chapter 15). I don't see what he could do for the main couple either, he's not Yuu's close friend or anything. I would like to see Yuu talking about her current situation with Touko to someone, but to someone close to her, like her sister or Koyomi. Someone she can truly rely on, you know. Maki feels a bit like a creep even if that's not the intention of his character.

last edited at May 6, 2018 7:08PM

joined May 22, 2018

Why did Yuu's idea of what love should feel like come from shoujo manga? She's generally a smart, perceptive, logical person. She sees through Touko's mask within days of meeting her when the only other person to know the real Touko is her best friend of several years. She seems like a pretty emotionally aware person, at least in regards to other people. It doesn't make sense to me that she would have such a weird view of love.

From the start of this manga I've had this uncomfortable feeling which I think was because I couldn't understand Yuu or Touko. Their mindsets seemed completely alien to me. As it went on we start to understand why Touko acts the way she does but Yuu's original thoughts on love still make no sense to me. She seems too smart to have had her whole idea on how love is supposed to happen come from fiction.

It's not a big deal in terms of the overall plot but it bothers me a bit and I don't know why. I still love this story and I'm looking forward to how things turn out.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Why did Yuu's idea of what love should feel like come from shoujo manga? She's generally a smart, perceptive, logical person. She sees through Touko's mask within days of meeting her when the only other person to know the real Touko is her best friend of several years. She seems like a pretty emotionally aware person, at least in regards to other people. It doesn't make sense to me that she would have such a weird view of love.

From the start of this manga I've had this uncomfortable feeling which I think was because I couldn't understand Yuu or Touko. Their mindsets seemed completely alien to me. As it went on we start to understand why Touko acts the way she does but Yuu's original thoughts on love still make no sense to me. She seems too smart to have had her whole idea on how love is supposed to happen come from fiction.

It's not a big deal in terms of the overall plot but it bothers me a bit and I don't know why. I still love this story and I'm looking forward to how things turn out.

I agree with almost everything you say (except Yuu as an "emotionally aware" person--that's a complicated concept, and someone may be that in some ways and very unaware in others).

Let me be clear: this is one of my very favorite manga series, and if it sticks its landing may well be my absolute favorite ever. (I won't list all the positive things I like about it--we've been over them many times.) It may well be one of my favorite stories in any medium.

But the fundamental premises of these two characters' psychologies, which are essential to so many things that make the story work, are really quite artificial, and as you say, almost alien to anything I recognize. And I agree that Touko, the more extreme character, is more (and here I'm really trying to avoid terms like "realistic," or "believable," or "relatable," etc. because they lead in directions I don't really intend) let's say "explicable" to me than Yuu--the causes of Touko's damage are completely obvious, but Yuu seems to have an absolutely normal, loving, supportive family life.

I wouldn't call her 'damaged,' of course, but the story depends on Yuu starting out with an (at best) extremely naive idea of what love is and then her insisting that she retains that idea long after it's obvious that she's actually changed completely. And there's nothing that explains how she got that way in the first place.

I'm really just echoing your point, but it's as if it's a science fiction story built on one key hypothetical that doesn't quite make sense--grant the premise and it's an outstanding story, but there's always this little twinge of "yes, but . . ."

The oddness of the whole thing really comes out if you try to explain the story to someone who hasn't read it--you get a little bit into it and you can see the other person's brow furrow, as they think, "Wait--what?").

EDIT: And maybe really the central point: it’s not that Touko and Yuu are such outlandish characters in themselves, it’s the fact that two people with these particular quirks encounter each other, AND immediately discover those quirks in each other, AND then embark on their quirky relationship.

Touko: “I couldn’t love anyone, but now that I know that you can’t love anyone, I love you. Is that OK?”

Yuu: “Sure, no problem.”

last edited at May 26, 2018 11:40PM

joined Nov 5, 2017

Why did Yuu's idea of what love should feel like come from shoujo manga?

She's just a 16-year-old who had never fallen in love. She had no idea how being in love felt so she just assumed it felt similar to the romance stories she had read. I don't see anything unrealistic about it given her age. While she is smart and mature about most things, she's still a teenager who is inmature when it comes to love and is just understanding what love is and what it means for her. I know there are people like her irl too.

She's generally a smart, perceptive, logical person. She sees through Touko's mask within days of meeting her when the only other person to know the real Touko is her best friend of several years.

Yuu was completely unaware of Touko's real personality at the beginning. She didn't find out about it because she is perceptive, but rather because it was Touko who showed her her real self and opened up to her. You see this in chapter 5 when Yuu is confused about Touko's desire to be perfect. It's not until chapter 10 when Yuu figures out Touko completely and admits she misunderstood her. And Sayaka has known Touko only for a year when the manga started, if anything Sayaka is the one who is very perceptive because she realised that Touko was putting a facade despite Touko not showing her her real self.

Yuu feels like a real person to me. I feel all characters in this series feel very human but I feel Yuu's multidimensional character stands out. That's just my opinion though. Like I said, just because she's very smart on some areas doesn't mean she knows every real life issue. The story is about her understanding love after all.

joined May 22, 2018

I'm really just echoing your point, but it's as if it's a science fiction story built on one key hypothetical that doesn't quite make sense--grant the premise and it's an outstanding story, but there's always this little twinge of "yes, but . . ."

Putting it like that made me realise that's pretty much exactly how I was thinking about it, I'm not good at putting my thoughts into words so thanks. It's nothing that affected my enjoyment of the amazing story, just a little thing nagging at the back of my mind.

Yuu feels like a real person to me. I feel all characters in this series feel very human but I feel Yuu's multidimensional character stands out. That's just my opinion though. Like I said, just because she's very smart on some areas doesn't mean she knows every real life issue. The story is about her understanding love after all.

I agree that all the characters do feel very human, especially considering how out there some of their issues are. Blastaar summed that up pretty well at the end of his post. I was really just being overly nitpicky about this one thing that had been nagging in the back of my mind as I was reading through the story.

I've only recently got into manga and yuri specifically. I had only read Kase-san before this, which I also loved. But I wasn't expecting this kind of unique and complex story.

Imageedit_11_5472942776
joined Apr 30, 2018

Still waiting for chapter 32 eng translation

joined Oct 4, 2015

The raws literally only arrived a day ago. Unless you want a shitty, uncleaned translation I suggest you patiently wait some more.

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

The raws literally only arrived a day ago. Unless you want a shitty, uncleaned translation I suggest you patiently wait some more.

4s actually finished translating it. You just have to download it.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

shojie07 posted:

4s actually finished translating it. You just have to download it.

Couldn't believe it, went to check and Oh My God, now THIS feels a lot more like the climax of the play

Tumblr_oacx7rl55f1tltatqo1_500
joined May 19, 2016

Touko doesn't inform Yuu about joining the play troupe.
Yuu admit explicitly she loves Touko.
Touko's world is opening up.
I'm so sorry I smell drama and tragedy for Yuu in the future. Probably we're gonna see her cry at some point of the manga because Yuu was clearly hinted to have never cry in front of people even if all other people around her cry. I always think of it as some foreshadowing about Yuu crying. Oh my god this is not going to be a really happy road

last edited at May 28, 2018 2:58AM

1a93395d3b5ad7ceb89937b0b2e0d18b
joined Mar 26, 2018

At last !!!! she's already in love with nanami senpai T^T i need more more !!!

84e6a6e7-57b4-46e6-b387-5a9bd44d45ef
joined Oct 10, 2014

In the first few weeks of dating my ex I was on cloud nine and I kept comparing my feelings to cliches and TV tropes. I thought I was so in love with her in such a short time. It wasn’t until the third month after everything settled down that I was struck with fear because I actually loved her. Love presents itself differently to different people. Yuu having a rather clumsy and hesitant realization of her feelings is normal.

joined Aug 22, 2016

this is gonna hurt...

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Touko’s world is getting bigger now that she accepted what is hers. The big question is, will Yuu still be a part of it? Now that our darling sweetheart Yuu also admitted her true feelings for her senpai. I’m afraid that it will bring drama on the next.

joined Aug 22, 2016

Touko’s world is getting bigger now that she accepted what is hers. The big question is, will Yuu still be a part of it? Now that our darling sweetheart Yuu also admitted her true feelings for her senpai. I’m afraid that it will bring drama on the next.

There will likely be drama. I’m guessing Nanami will be taken aback and reject Yuu at first, but I’m still believing in a relationship ending when all is said and done.

Nanami is at a sort of reset point so I can equally see a non-relationship life affirming ending as well. A relationship that both would look back on fondly though both on different paths. No matter the type at the end, I do think the overall ending will happen.

The cover implies Nanami still being uncertain, so a confession from Yuu now may very likely throw Nanami off.

last edited at May 28, 2018 3:29AM

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

oh shit son

sweetjalapeno15
Ne
joined Nov 21, 2017

I'm all excited about what's next and all the comments here are like "this isn't going to go well"

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Sayaka saying nothing and hearing everything.

29258430_1392194357551142_4140663135533006848_n
joined Apr 29, 2018

I'm all excited about what's next and all the comments here are like "this isn't going to go well"
same here

last edited at May 28, 2018 3:58AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.