Forum › Anime season

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hylarn posted:

Also, my friends you won't believe HOW MUCH happiness I felt when I saw "Next time in Love live sunshine...!" I thought it would be the end, I was ready for the end... But we have more aaaaah that was so beautiful, truly a kagayaki miracle

I thought it was obvious that there was going to be another episode around the halfway point. I'm actually not entirely happy about this; I've found this season kinda disappointing and want it over with

You mean the whole fall season or just love live? because the s2 is much better than the s1 (s1 was only good past the first 5 chapters or so) plus I got a lot of You x Chika even in the latest chapter so I'm very pleased with it.

The Magus Bride was good too but my expectations were bigger... Like, I wasn't expecting Girl's last Tour to be better imo.

Blend s was a waste of time.

Yuuki yuuna is suffering as usual... I hope they can find their kagayaki too

last edited at Dec 24, 2017 1:09AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Konohana Kitan was a true gift, hopefully this means that the manga will get picked up for scanlation.

Two Car was a complete shit show. Not even 'meh' by CGDCT standards.

Yuuki Yuuna still has an episode left, and the suffering doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

You mean the whole fall season or just love live? because the s2 is much better than the s1 (s1 was only good past the first 5 chapters or so) plus I got a lot of You x Chika even in the latest chapter so I'm very pleased with it.

Sunshine's not the only thing I've found somewhat disappointing, but I was specifically talking about it. I really liked S1, but S2 got rid of a lot of the aspects I liked. Lot less emphasis of the character relationships, plot didn't feel as cohesive, the pairings were changed...

Oh yeah, how did that turn out? Any yuri?

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Worse, went full het with middle aged teacher. Disgusting.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Worse, went full het with middle aged teacher. Disgusting.

It was very impressive in its complete refusal to have the two main girls progress or develop in any way beyond their childish obsession with their coach. As a result, they dragged the whole show down. It also made the baffling choice to spend a lot of time on the coach's love life and I think we were supposed to care about that? Some of the other characters were okay and the group scenes were nice but that doesn't nearly make up for it.

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Sunshine's not the only thing I've found somewhat disappointing, but I was specifically talking about it. I really liked S1, but S2 got rid of a lot of the aspects I liked. Lot less emphasis of the character relationships, plot didn't feel as cohesive, the pairings were changed...

5 episodes have some, 2 for ojou pairing, 2 for S&M pairing and 1 for announcer pairing + some short skits for the 'perfect couple'.

But the main cast ruins it, its a shit show.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

potato Kino still the best Kino!.
what happen to kino coat??
kino no tabi 2003 bd release when!!!

last edited at Dec 25, 2017 7:33PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Caught up with Garo. Charming cast & just an exciting action series. Rlly enjoying it. Although the production did drop from the opening eps, it is still one of the few shows this season that did not end up disappointing me.

Speaking of disappointment, Kujira no Kora ended & what a waste of potential that series is. Gorgeous visuals & OST with an intriguing setting, only to be let down by the blandest cast of characters, the stupid pink clown, dreadful pacing, zero plot progression, & god awful melodrama ("literally who" characters die, everyone cries, rinse & repeat).

Also finished Inuyashiki, the writing is full of plot holes & is frustrating at times, but it's one of those dumb fun shows. I got more enjoyment from it than I expected, considering I almost dropped it after the first 2 eps.

last edited at Dec 26, 2017 4:07PM

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Also finished Inuyashiki, the writing is full of plot holes & is frustrating at times, but it's one of those dumb fun shows. I got more enjoyment from it than I expected, considering I almost dropped it after the first 2 eps.

If you want a fun and well-written action show with a minimal amount of plot-holes then I recommend Thunderbolt Fantasy, it's written by Gen Urobuchi and has a soundtrack by Hiroyuki Sawano. It came out last year but it's still a pretty solid show overall, I think it's better to watch it now seeing how the second season is right around the corner. Although I'm not entirely sure if you'll like the rather.......unique....visuals that make the show stand out, not to mention the show can have a bit of a slow start, but other then that I don't see much of a reason to not give the show a shot. It is only 13 episodes.

last edited at Dec 26, 2017 5:42PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

^ I did watch a bit of Thunderbolt Fantasy when it came out. Wasn't fond of the stop-action puppets, so I dropped it, but the story wasn't bad. Kinda grew up watching a lot of Wuxia so I didn't particularly feel like I was missing out on a unique story. But I did see some praises surrounding, so maybe I'll pick it back up eventually. Thanks for the recommendation though!

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Although the production did drop from the opening eps, it is still one of the few shows this season that did not end up disappointing me.

For me it was a pretty good season, with great shows like Shoujo Shuumatsu, Houseki no Kuni, Konohana Kitan and Yuuki Yuuna. Some flawed but fun shows like Urahara and Animegataris.

Kino no Tabi and Love Live had some bad decisions, but I didn't find any that bad either.

Definitely the best season this year.

I dropped shit shows like Bland S and Two Car, though.

last edited at Dec 27, 2017 6:20PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

For me it was a pretty good season, with great shows like Shoujo Shuumatsu, Houseki no Kuni, Konohana Kitan and Yuuki Yuuna. Some flawed but fun shows like Urahara and Animegataris.

It's not a bad season by any means. Definitely better than Summer & Spring for me. The disappointment mostly comes from the fact that some of the shows I had high hopes for ended up not being as good as I had hoped, rather than the season not having any worthwhile shows. It's just that, aside from Gintama, Garo & SSR are like the 2 shows that delivered what I hoped they would out of the 8-9 shows that caught my interest at the beginning of the season (some of these "disappointing" shows aren't even bad, tbh, like MahoYome & 3gatsu S2, but I keep thinking they could've been a lot better). HnK is a different story though, I wasn't exactly fond of it at first, but it ended up being good.

last edited at Dec 27, 2017 9:20PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Maho Yome wasn't so good? That's a pity, I really like the manga.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

^ There are different opinions on it. Most people like it, consider its high rating on MAL & similar sites. Some feels like it's an uninspired adaptation & doesn't really elevate the manga in any way. I do think that a better direction job could've helped make MahoYome a more emotionally engaging ride (some of the stories feel like they should've made me sad or moved me in some form, but they didn't, except ep 3 with the old dragon). However, I also have problems with its narrative & characters, especially Elias, tho I'm not sure if this is the fault of the adaptation or the source material itself (haven't read the manga yet).

last edited at Dec 28, 2017 12:00AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Maho yome is not bad, I say it's a solid 8/10 maybe it feels a bit bland in some parts, I think the ovas made a better job crushing my heart and raising my expectations... (my heart was so crushed that I'm avoiding the third ova) The story is not bad either, maybe is just the direction of the anime? I feel like I could forget it in a year.

I should've read the manga back then (like a year ago) but then some news about the animation came out and I decided to wait... Maybe today I would've been saying "The manga was better" lol

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

People who liked the manga actually liked the anime. Most of the complaints are about how the story is more visuals than substance. It's still one of the best rated anime this season, although I think HnK kinda of lost the attention MahoYome was getting.

I for one wasn't a fan of the characters. I dislike how Chise didn't seem to develop any self worth in the series (there's something wrong with someone thinking the best thing could happen to them is being bought) and Elias is kinda creepy.
Personally I think it would seems less creepy without the "yome" part, but still.

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Although the production did drop from the opening eps, it is still one of the few shows this season that did not end up disappointing me.

Kino no Tabi and Love Live had some bad decisions, but I didn't find any that bad either.

Definitely the best season this year.

I dropped shit shows like Bland S and Two Car, though.

I did not think any show would top Made in Abyss this year, then Shoujo Shuumatsu came along, 2 10/10 shows in a year, rare sight.

Hard to decide for 3rd place between Konohana and Kobayashi.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

People who liked the manga actually liked the anime. Most of the complaints are about how the story is more visuals than substance. It's still one of the best rated anime this season, although I think HnK kinda of lost the attention MahoYome was getting.

I for one wasn't a fan of the characters. I dislike how Chise didn't seem to develop any self worth in the series (there's something wrong with someone thinking the best thing could happen to them is being bought) and Elias is kinda creepy.
Personally I think it would seems less creepy without the "yome" part, but still.

I've got the first six volumes, and Chise does develop self-worth bit by bit although it's understandable this will be slow given almost her entire life up until then was tearing it down. As to being bought, I don't recall her being happy about it. More "I'm about to end my life but I guess being bought (with assurances I won't be abused) wouldn't be worse."

As for Elias, he's supposed to be a little creepy. But that's a cover-up for being a lot more innocent than he wants to admit. If it comes off as "old man creepy" in the anime then they missed the mark.

I suspect, from the sounds of it, that it's like Mushishi - a far too faithful adaption. Everything is brought to life which is nifty, but it's exactly the same scenes and dialogue you've already seen so there's nothing new to see.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I don't want to brag but I saw the last episode of Love Live Sunshine... And I didn't cry~ ahem Well, I guess you could say I'm pretty tough!
Well it wasn't as emotionally powerful as episode 11 and the fact that the movie was announced right away saves your heart from feeling "This is (not) the end"
Shiitake was female... This is Death Note's level of plot twist !! there was a Youriko moment very special but I'm Youchika fan to the very end... The true kagakii was dumb and cliche but hey, it's love live!!

last edited at Dec 30, 2017 1:42PM

09_lapis_lazuline
joined Aug 12, 2017

I'm torn about the Sunshine movie, simply because I feel the entire story wrapped itself up perfectly. I honestly don't see what the point would be.

joined Jan 21, 2015

My two cents on Sunshine: I got more or less what I wanted from the second season and enjoyed it more than the first overall, even if it never reached the same dramatic heights. I was expecting it to hit all the beats of a generic "let's save this place we care about" story and I would have eaten it up anyway, but it made some surprising decisions I thought elevated the show to something much better.

However... what they did with the yuri was weird. Love Live is basically Pandering: The Franchise, so I suspected they would chicken out after the first season went so far with the subtext. But I assumed Chika and Riko would get the same treatment Kanan and Mari did (more scenes with their third friend with the occasional one-on-one moment); I didn't expect the staff to all but drop the pairing after the first few episodes. The resulting shift in dynamics made it look like the girls had selective amnesia. Plus, I only follow the anime continuity and don't keep up with fandom stuff so I'm very confused that Riko and Yoshiko are a thing now. On the other hand, my YouChikaRiko-shipping self was fucking delighted with this season.

Wonder what the movie will be about though?

09_lapis_lazuline
joined Aug 12, 2017

From what I know, Yoshiko and Riko is a thing mostly because the seiyuu ship it.

joined Jan 21, 2015

^ Thanks, that explains it. They must've been happy with the material they got this season then. But if their bosses were going to give them what they wanted, I kind of wish they'd done so from the start instead of shifting the pairings around halfway through the story. It's nice when seiyuu openly ship their characters, though.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins posted:

It looks like I can start with the anime and jump to the manga later, right?

Pretty much, yes. No skipping or original endings, and is a nice enough anime. Main flaw is that, as I said, only adapts the early chapters, and then just stops.

I finished the manga... I saw all the vol 7 in one sitting, yaaaaaaaaayyyy!! I'm so glad I decided to read this after it was over and not during the serialization, I mean, I'm not crying but my heart was bleeding, I was almost speedreading the text about the play or the whole thing with the fiance because I had these bad feeling... The author was trying to show that too and I was scared. I'm sure I'm not strong enough to read this monthly or even week by week, it would've been too hard... And the thing is, even with a different ending it would've still been a great story you know? but I'm just so glad.... Oh I'm so glad my God.

I want wedding for the teacher too

last edited at Jan 1, 2018 8:55PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

less live action! GUNNM need new anime!! at least 50eps.

last edited at Jan 2, 2018 3:57AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.