Forum › Anime season

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Amanchu and Non non biyori are good picks! There's ichigo mashimaro but it's kinda lolicon without really being ecchi... And also Yama no susume and finally Minami Ke (with like 3 seasons and ovas!)

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

Original Kino went from old men to pretty boys.....dammit new art!!.

last edited at Dec 18, 2017 2:50AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I didn't want to make a new thread, but I'm about to watch Aoi Hana (well, I'm halfway in the first episode) should I read the manga instead? or I can just jump later or... ?

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Well, I would not say "instead", rather, "both", in whichever order you prefer. The anime does not really go far, it adapts early chapters, and is not really a stand-alone work, at least not if you are into completed stories, for that you will need the manga.

last edited at Dec 21, 2017 12:11PM

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this, I usually post in the off-topic thread but I wanted to ask for some anime recommendations real quick.

Basically I want some really comfy slice-of-life series. The ones I've enjoyed the most off the top of my head were Flying Witch and GJ Club, so I'm after something in a similar vein to those.

Non Non Biyori is the comfiest and coziest series EVER.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins posted:

Well, I would not say "instead", rather, "both", in whichever order you prefer. The anime does not really go far, it adapts early chapters, and is not really a stand-alone work, at least not if you are into completed stories, for that you will need the manga.

Well, I rather watch the animation but if they skip important parts or make an original ending then I rather read the manga from the start, that's my concern mostly... It looks like I can start with the anime and jump to the manga later, right? thanks

joined Sep 6, 2015

It looks like I can start with the anime and jump to the manga later, right?

Pretty much, yes. No skipping or original endings, and is a nice enough anime. Main flaw is that, as I said, only adapts the early chapters, and then just stops.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Ousama Game ends with generic "The game isn't over yet & more will be victims of it. To be continued."
Juuni Taisen ends with the winner basically wishing to forget the show's existence.

That meta ending makes Juuni Taisen the clear winner for comedy of the season.

09_lapis_lazuline
joined Aug 12, 2017

You know, despite Ousama Game being the actual worst thing ever, I STILL feel Shojo Shikaku is the worst killing game story ever made. At least Ousama Game tried. It didn't try very well, but still.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Eh, there's a lot of killing game stories written by teenage edgelords that're about as original and well-thought-out as you'd expect. Pointing to a single one as the worst is a bit difficult

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Eh, there's a lot of killing game stories written by teenage edgelords that're about as original and well-thought-out as you'd expect. Pointing to a single one as the worst is a bit difficult

This. Stories in this genre are meant to be enjoyed as comedy most of the time.

last edited at Dec 21, 2017 7:12PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Listening to the SSR OST while thinking about how the show is ending tomorrow, about the latest translated manga chapters, & the fact that there will never be a second season.

09_lapis_lazuline
joined Aug 12, 2017

I take objection to people dissing works like Danganronpa. (Though, in fairness, I'm fairly sure Ousama Game predates DR)

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

SSR did a pretty good job trying to wrap up its final ep & make it as thematically satisfying as possible, staying true to the the manga while adding some original content here & there like that whole montage showing how their world was brought to ruin. I prefer the somber tone of the chaps adapted in this ep in the original manga better, but it wouldn't have made for a conclusive ending. It'll probably never gonna happen, but I do hope for a sequel OVA series adapting the rest of the manga so I can experience the depression in full.

Anyway, this is, undoubtedly, my AOTY. Great subtle world-building, beautifully directed, 10/10 sound design, Enya-tier music, amazing atmosphere, charming & wholesome character interactions, contemplative & poignant philosophical musings that never came off as preachy, nostalgic & bleak, but strangely comfy as a whole. Just a really special lil' show.

joined Feb 15, 2013

Gay chibi foxgirl. Best anime of the year. No, of the decade. No, best anime ever!!!

God damn it, Yuzu is adorable...

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Well, Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou had a hell of an ending. Brought their absolute A-game to the direction and dealt with some great material. Plus, cute yuri-ish bits

Can't quite definitely say it's AotY, but that has more to do with the strength of the year as a whole than any faults on it's part. A+, highly recommend

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hylarn posted:

Well, Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou had a hell of an ending. Brought their absolute A-game to the direction and dealt with some great material. Plus, cute yuri-ish bits

Can't quite definitely say it's AotY, but that has more to do with the strength of the year as a whole than any faults on it's part. A+, highly recommend

The whole feeling of the anime is so sad and warm at the same time, because we know how lonely and dreadful their world really is but for them is not so bad, they have each other and they don't know any better so they're happy in their tour. The song at the very end was lovely

joined Jan 21, 2015

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou is probably my favorite anime of the year. I don't know how it managed to make the twilight of mankind look so peaceful. Chito and Yuuri have grown on me so much, I find myself stupidly hoping that they'll reach the highest level and find a century's worth of food or a spaceship to take them to the moon where past humans have somehow managed to establish a colony or something equally ridiculous. I wish it could get a second half-season.

Houseki no Kuni was another fantastic show. It completely changed the way I thought about CGI in anime and I hope it gets a sequel. I'll probably pick up the manga because of all the plot stuff and also Cinnabar finally went deredere and I want to know what happens.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Houseki no kuni... I can't believe they did that... sooooooooooooooo unfair.
After finishing Shoujo shuumatsu I don't feel like reading the manga, it's okay if we don't get a second season it was great ending, but Houseki no kuni it feels like there will be an episode 13 next week, it was super anticlimactic to finish the anime like that, not even a "see you soon" at the end or any big revelation

I finished Aoi Hana... the ending is like a beginning lol

last edited at Dec 23, 2017 8:17PM

joined Sep 6, 2015

I finished Aoi Hana... the ending is like a beginning lol

Told you. It just... stops. Before anything really huge happens.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

There won't be 13th ep, but I think HnK has a good chance of getting a second season. It's pretty well received in Japan. While the ending is definitely not all that climatic or thematically conclusive, I still think it does a decent job reflecting on some of the important plot points throughout the show, specifically highlighting Phos' development while paralleling the first ep. It gives that sense of "this is a start of a new chapter in Phos' PTSD trip." I'm kinda ok with that.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

There just wasn't any way to end Houseki no Kuni well without significantly deviating from the manga. The next big moment isn't for a while

On a second season, maybe? It certainly seems to be doing well, but there's not really enough material for it at the moment, and I feel like the manga is heading towards the end

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Yuya Takahashi strikes back with the power of a demon!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well I Really hope we get a second season of HnK, because I'm really tempted to read the manga but has there ever been an anime more suited for cgi animation than this? it feels like it would be a huge waste not to wait.

Also, my friends you won't believe HOW MUCH happiness I felt when I saw "Next time in Love live sunshine...!" I thought it would be the end, I was ready for the end... But we have more aaaaah that was so beautiful, truly a kagayaki miracle

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Also, my friends you won't believe HOW MUCH happiness I felt when I saw "Next time in Love live sunshine...!" I thought it would be the end, I was ready for the end... But we have more aaaaah that was so beautiful, truly a kagayaki miracle

I thought it was obvious that there was going to be another episode around the halfway point. I'm actually not entirely happy about this; I've found this season kinda disappointing and want it over with

To reply you must either login or sign up.