Forum › Laika, Pavlov, Pochihachikou discussion

A_channel_wallpaper_11-t2
joined Mar 1, 2014

This is adorable! I love it.

palakangorange
Witch
joined Feb 24, 2013

I just remember that maybe this manga's title Laika may refer to the first animal on space, the dog Laika, then Pavlov since he's known for his classical conditioning which he accidentally noticed on his dogs. And just like in classical conditioning, love is not there (Unconditioned Stimulus) but Yuriko has developed it eventually towards Koro (Conditioned Stimulus), and yeah, love is the Conditioned Response (along with the teasing).

Now, reading the other mangas in this anthology, the same analogy can be applied..
Though I don't know what Pochihachikou means. Does anyone know?

Edit: Isn't Pochi a typical/popular name for a dog (in Japan) and Hachikou may refer to the famous dog Hachiko for his loyalty

last edited at Apr 2, 2014 2:24AM

Yuri
joined Dec 11, 2013

The artist seems like obsessed with "cute/pretty" things....

joined Nov 11, 2010

Pochi and Hachi are just common names for dogs in Japan. The "kou" (公) used in the title is a noun/suffix denoting royal status (i.e. a 'prince' or 'lord'). So the connotation of 'Pochihachikou' is just something like 'dog prince'.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

A bit messy, but nice.
And hot damn, a bed scene from this artist!

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

I just remember that maybe this manga's title Laika may refer to the first animal on space, the dog Laika, then Pavlov

when I referenced Wikipedia, it stated that Laika, in addition to being the first animal in space is also Russian for barker. it makes sense that it's part of the title given that Koro was asked to bark 3 times.

Though I don't know what Pochihachikou means. Does anyone know?

Thanks Sol. I kinda thought Pochi might mean something like that. kinda sounds like pooch. As for Hachikou, I remember reading about Hachikou the dog a while back and I figured that Pochihachikou was in reference to that famous dog (more so, the loyalty that the dog exhibited).

it's kinda funny that each word in the title refers to both a famous dog and a simpler concept. for example, Laika => famous doggy cosmonaut/barker in Russian, Pavlov => used dogs in social behaviour experiment/ trained pet, Hachikou => famous dog/loyalty. I guess the title qualifies as a double entendre.

last edited at Apr 2, 2014 2:52AM

Sj%20celine%20icon
joined Mar 2, 2013

I think people are missing something when looking at this story.
Yuriko never stated she wanted to play the princess role and while she didn't stop Koro's weird habits she never forced her into it. Koro followed her and did things for her happily, and at the end was able to openly and comfortably express her own thoughts and opinions more because they had finally connected on less of a vertical power scale.

Yuriko by the looks of it was pissed being forced into a doll position, and I think the only reason why she accepted being called cute so much by Koro is because she realized how earnest and pure her feelings were. And while people may take offense to her constantly calling her a dog I think in her own way that was her way of showing affection, seeing as she really loved that stuffed animal.

The only real reason why I find this a bit off is because Yuriko and Koro never really stated their feelings clearly which is probably why you're looking at it as abusive.

I mean hey I'm not saying you guys have to listen to me, but I think it needs a deeper level of thought.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

I don't think I've read anything by this artist, but I can't say I particularly agree with the main characters in this. I can even (shock horror!) see where Yuriko's friends were coming from when they were talking about her behind her back. But yeah. They both definately have their issues, and I was kind of hoping that they would be sorted out by the end.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Yeaahhh, I couldn't really get into this story because the characters were just amazingly... flat? And not even particularly in a cute way. The pretty girl wants unconditional acceptance and love more than she's willing to give it. It really does remind me more of an owner and pet relationship more than a healthy normal one :/ Even if she was comparing the shy girl to her old stuffed animal dog, the way she forces herself on the other girl just unacceptable in not even considering her feelings. At all. And that isn't any sort of loving relationship.

Although the nerdy girl is even creepier. Going out of her way to help her studies and know her schedule and past history too well. She is just asking to be stepped on :/ And that just leads to disrespect and bad news. I don't know if she would ever stand up to her crush--which can't ever end well.

But I suppose in a way they match :( overall this one left a bad taste in my mouth. (thanks for translating and posting though! It's always interesting to see a wide variety of stories and styles!)

@the unconditional love part
Sound like anyone else we know? cough shinji ikari cough

Rin
joined Apr 1, 2014

I think this Mangaka likes it to leave it a bit open, He mostly makes unsatisfying endings or he wants us to think about the ending and the one-shot more. Nevertheless, it doesn't matter really I still like his art and stories

I saw your picture and just thought, "What? I haven't commented on this one yet, I just read it!"
Anyway...
Leaving it open ended gives me both nice and uneasy feelings. There's the hope that it will work out and be a nice happy ending, but then there's the feeling that it could very, very easily not end up that way. Of course, I like to hope that it ends up happy in the long run for the sake of my sanity.

Oh lol. I was like what? Why'd you comment on your own comment? Turns out you two just have the same Himeko x Chikane profile avatar.

I think the two like each other too. It's just that one of them has a bit of a princess problem, and the other is just naive and inexperienced.

Oh lol thats funny well its always that this unsatisfying ending depresses one maybe for a week or something but u will get used to it and with much fantasy it can be a happy ending.

I think those works are better remaining open, but a bit character development could have beend made.

But even this princess and unexperienced (dog) relationship will turn later out better. At least my fantasy hopes so lol

DigitalCooper
06198ea848e13a290fe7a6a3314d5a8c
joined Feb 1, 2013

I LOVED IT! I hope we can get a sequel to this

886f8d05.m
joined Mar 26, 2014

I think this was really cute :D

''Here's a sample I collected from back then.''
Yep, this is seriously creepy...but, she loves her, so...
Now I'm concerned how Korokus room looks like, after that scene. Maybe she has a special room...

last edited at Apr 2, 2014 3:18PM

Images
joined Aug 31, 2013

I want a stalker like this

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

is yuriko gay or just gay for specific someone or not at all! just lonely.
the author failed to established the character as gay? this bother me a bit.

last edited at Apr 2, 2014 12:21PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

is yuriko gay or just gay for specific someone or not at all! just lonely.
the author failed to established the character as gay? this bother me a bit.

Looks like a given that she's not gay save for that one person, a lot of characters are like that and i don't think it needs to be flat out told
Problem here is how everything felt flat and unnatural after the angst breakdown

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

Looks like a given that she's not gay save for that one person, a lot of characters are like that and i don't think it needs to be flat out told
Problem here is how everything felt flat and unnatural after the angst breakdown

'a lot of characters like that' cliche yuri......
she loved to be loved, she a narcicist.

last edited at Apr 2, 2014 1:19PM

Thumbnail_0f974c4024acb1498ed2be1bfb41d2cc3a513746
joined Jul 21, 2013

Pochihachiko refers to the dog that waited for his master till the dog died.

joined Sep 11, 2013

Yeaahhh, I couldn't really get into this story because the characters were just amazingly... flat? And not even particularly in a cute way. The pretty girl wants unconditional acceptance and love more than she's willing to give it. It really does remind me more of an owner and pet relationship more than a healthy normal one :/ Even if she was comparing the shy girl to her old stuffed animal dog, the way she forces herself on the other girl just unacceptable in not even considering her feelings. At all. And that isn't any sort of loving relationship.

Although the nerdy girl is even creepier. Going out of her way to help her studies and know her schedule and past history too well. She is just asking to be stepped on :/ And that just leads to disrespect and bad news. I don't know if she would ever stand up to her crush--which can't ever end well.

But I suppose in a way they match :( overall this one left a bad taste in my mouth. (thanks for translating and posting though! It's always interesting to see a wide variety of stories and styles!)

Bingo. My exact feelings about this one.

joined Apr 2, 2014

Yuriko never stated she wanted to play the princess role and while she didn't stop Koro's weird habits she never forced her into it. Koro followed her and did things for her happily, and at the end was able to openly and comfortably express her own thoughts and opinions more because they had finally connected on less of a vertical power scale.

Yuriko by the looks of it was pissed being forced into a doll position, and I think the only reason why she accepted being called cute so much by Koro is because she realized how earnest and pure her feelings were. And while people may take offense to her constantly calling her a dog I think in her own way that was her way of showing affection, seeing as she really loved that stuffed animal.

The only real reason why I find this a bit off is because Yuriko and Koro never really stated their feelings clearly which is probably why you're looking at it as aubusive.

I mean hey I'm not saying you guys have to listen to me, but I think it needs a deeper level of thought.

Yes, this is me! I finally stopped lurking and created an account just to quote you.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be loved. Being "loved" means being "held dearly".

While adoration is more like being "worshipped and idolized".

While Koro was "worshipping and idolizing" Yuriko to an extent, it was out of genuine love and... well, if you recall how her mother treated her and how her little groupies treated her, it was what she was looking for all along.
And in that sense, Yuriko probably loves Koro for... loving her!

pssht even though she's loyal in a creepy way ~

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this one.
Guess that both match, as both have "issues".

Donte
joined Sep 12, 2013

I'm confused. What am I supposed to feel? MY FEEL IS CONFUSED.

But overall, I agree with the majority of the posters in this thread. Crept out in a negative way, but felt a little touched by the adorableness? I don't know I don't even-

Sakuratrick
joined Apr 9, 2013

i think i found another manga to look forward to

Sj%20celine%20icon
joined Mar 2, 2013

The only real reason why I find this a bit off is because Yuriko and Koro never really stated their feelings clearly which is probably why you're looking at it as aubusive.

Yes, this is me! I finally stopped lurking and created an account just to quote you.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be loved. Being "loved" means being "held dearly".

While Koro was "worshipping and idolizing" Yuriko to an extent, it was out of genuine love and... well, if you recall how her mother treated her and how her little groupies treated her, it was what she was looking for all along.

;w; the fact that you wanted to quote me made me giddy, it seems like we're the only two thinking like this though XD

Eraser-for-really-big-mistakes
joined Jul 21, 2013

;w; the fact that you wanted to quote me made me giddy, it seems like we're the only two thinking like this though XD

I feel the same way too many people only look at the bad side of things

last edited at May 28, 2014 4:41AM

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

she had stuffed animal dog she lost as a kid, she didn't feel loved by her family or friends, she found someone who loved her (and gave her a dog nickname), and then she proceeded to use that person for sex and grades

I like this manga, but for the above reason I can't say that I enjoyed it

thanks for posting and scanlating though! ^_^

last edited at Jun 7, 2014 11:44AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.