Forum › Hakumei & Mikochi discussion

Kaede
joined Nov 20, 2016

I loved the coffee scene near the end of ch 26. You could interpret it a couple ways, but it seems like she's stealing an indirect kiss then replacing the coffee like it never happened...

joined Jun 12, 2015

Still the best couple !

By the way, for those who can read french, the first four volume are available in France under name Minuscule.

Picture%20edit
joined Dec 13, 2016

Glad to see a new release! The background art on this continues to blow me away. It looks how I imagine sceneries to be whenever I'm reading a more light-hearted fantasy novel.

joined Feb 15, 2013

I probably have a completely different opinion to you all.

But just marathon this manga from start to finish. And it feel like a story of two halves.

The first half was a masterpiece, as the only thing ran through my mind the whole time, was "best unmarried married-couples-like ever". So many subtle subtext that you can pick on indicating these two are more than just housemates. And in a world of sentient bug and item ghosts, there was a hope in me that: 'maybe their relationship is as far as marriage go in this world'. Who know, maybe a stork will carry to them a baby if they cuddle for long enough (or together wish for one).

Second half felt like a major let-down however. Firstly I don't like chapters where HakuMichi is not the main focus, especially that long-ass arc. Secondly there are also much less subtext. And i feel almost like an effort to friend-zone these two. That's famous incident with the president for example immediately indicating gay marriage is very unusual in their world ( A better responsible could be "She's not my wife", "Sorry, You two looked so close") . And despite they do things with each other.... they no longer do things 'together'. Would it hurt to see them cuddle in bed once in a while after tired day? Or Michi just fall on Hakumei shoulders when she nap on the train? Hakumei push her to rest when she's overworked? Something showing that they enjoyed each other company, not just another extra hands to do their works?

Yeah, you can realise how disappointed I was. It was going from straight 11/10 for 1st half to 6/10 for 2nd half for me

last edited at Feb 2, 2017 6:10AM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

I've had this ship since chapter 7.

last edited at Feb 21, 2017 4:14PM

0meo12%20(2)
joined Sep 19, 2011

In chapter 28, I'm pretty sure that Laika has a crush on Conju, yeeee!!

last edited at Feb 21, 2017 3:20PM

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I probably have a completely different opinion to you all.

But just marathon this manga from start to finish. And it feel like a story of two halves.

The first half was a masterpiece, as the only thing ran through my mind the whole time, was "best unmarried married-couples-like ever". So many subtle subtext that you can pick on indicating these two are more than just housemates. And in a world of sentient bug and item ghosts, there was a hope in me that: 'maybe their relationship is as far as marriage go in this world'. Who know, maybe a stork will carry to them a baby if they cuddle for long enough (or together wish for one).

Second half felt like a major let-down however. Firstly I don't like chapters where HakuMichi is not the main focus, especially that long-ass arc. Secondly there are also much less subtext. And i feel almost like an effort to friend-zone these two. That's famous incident with the president for example immediately indicating gay marriage is very unusual in their world ( A better responsible could be "She's not my wife", "Sorry, You two looked so close") . And despite they do things with each other.... they no longer do things 'together'. Would it hurt to see them cuddle in bed once in a while after tired day? Or Michi just fall on Hakumei shoulders when she nap on the train? Hakumei push her to rest when she's overworked? Something showing that they enjoyed each other company, not just another extra hands to do their works?

Yeah, you can realise how disappointed I was. It was going from straight 11/10 for 1st half to 6/10 for 2nd half for me

I think you might be expecting more yuri from this than you're gonna get, that being said the latest chapter had Laika and Congo being kinda lovey dovey. All in all this is a more slow paced SOL quest, and is super comfy to boot, I personally really enjoy it.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Yeah, it sucks when two girls being close turns out to be lesbian bait, but I never got that vibe from this series. It did a really good job of establishing Hakumei and Mikochi's relationship as one of intimacy, but not of romance.

Sometimes gals really are just being pals.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, it sucks when two girls being close turns out to be lesbian bait, but I never got that vibe from this series. It did a really good job of establishing Hakumei and Mikochi's relationship as one of intimacy, but not of romance.

Sometimes gals really are just being pals.

I would love to see them romantically together, but let's be honest. There aren't really all that many "Boston Marriage" type stories with intimate female friendships, so this is pretty valuable and satisfying in that respect.

Although alternatively, you could view them as an ace couple but without words for the concept. That's pretty nice too.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Daaaaw, Laika has a crush on Conju. <3

joined Apr 28, 2016

Ah, I finally put it into words. This series is what would happen if you told Studio Ghibli to publish a home ec textbook.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Ah, I finally put it into words. This series is what would happen if you told Studio Ghibli to publish a home ec textbook.

That's actually a really good idea.

Leavin' money on the table there, Miyazaki!

joined Apr 28, 2016

But just marathon this manga from start to finish...

Oh, and there's your problem. You can't just chug this series; it must be appreciated like a fine wine.

last edited at Feb 22, 2017 7:56AM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Haha, Hakumei hurt librarian's pride

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

that last page though. its the giving tree all over again :(

Sailor%20moon%20crystal%20-%2027.mkv_snapshot_18.10_[2016.04.14_00.25.11]
joined Jul 21, 2015

Hakumei 4 - Librarian 0

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Give it up, librarian, you can't beat the wife. XD

joined Jun 30, 2015

that last page though. its the giving tree all over again :(

Except the kid is slightly less of a dick.

Screenshot%20(1097)
joined Apr 23, 2016

viva la google

twinleadersx
joined Jun 26, 2014

I just finished reading this series. Goddamn, everyone and everything's awesome.

joined Apr 28, 2016

"Why are you bringing explosives?"

"Y'know. If something gets in our way."

"Why do you even have explosives?"

"It's just a hobby of mine."

"..."

"Anyways, let's get back to meeting up with the paramilitary company I ran with back in the day."

last edited at May 14, 2017 5:46PM

Screenshot%20(1097)
joined Apr 23, 2016

"Why are you bringing explosives?"

"Y'know. If something gets in our way."

"Why do you even have explosives?"

"It's just a hobby of mine."

"..."

"Anyways, let's get back to meeting up with the paramilitary company I ran with back in the day."

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/thumb/0/06/DemomanVidSplash.png/800px-DemomanVidSplash.png?t=20110827224338

and she's even a ginger like how demoman was in his early concepts

last edited at May 14, 2017 6:50PM by Nezchan

joined Apr 28, 2016

I'm imagining Hakumei with a Scottish accent and it's actually kind of great.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Finally a bit more of Hakumei's backstory! I hope we eventually see how they met, but I suppose I'd be fine with keeping it a mystery.

FriedBreadfast
Weh
joined Nov 20, 2016

I'm imagining Hakumei with a Scottish accent and it's actually kind of great.

Thank you for showing me the light

To reply you must either login or sign up.