Forum › Asian yuri movies?

joined Jan 16, 2017

Any Asian movies based around a lesbian couple like Love My Life?

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Handmaiden

It's not only the best lesbian movie in but also the best even in the hollywood

You won't find any better than this.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Handmaiden

It's also based on Sarah Waters's Fingersmith, one of the better lesbian novels out there. :-)

last edited at Feb 8, 2017 3:06AM

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Handmaiden

It's also based on Sarah Waters's Fingersmith, one of the better lesbian novels out there. :-)

If i'm not wrong, Fingersmith does contain het scenes right?

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Transit Girls

It's like an abridged version of Citrus, it's not a movie but it will only take about 2.5 hours to watch the whole thing.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

Ah-ga-ssi is definitely the best asian sapphic movie out here imho.
And Fingersmith doesn't contain het scene, it's basically the same story but in England during the XIX's century. I believe ah-ga-ssi outshined Fingersmith, but that's a matter of preferences. If one is too lazy to read the novel, there is a [kind of crappy] BBC adaptation of it.
As for others asian lesbian movies, I have in mind Saving faces, which is fairly good, Love my Life, which is IIRC the adaptation of a yuri manga, can't remember if it's hosted on the site though. edit : whoops, already mentioned by the author
I haven't seen the following ones , but here are : Love Juice (from Kaze shindo, because you probably won't find it with the title itself), A Girl at My Door, Butterfly and Spider Lilies.
Memento Mori, but it's more a tragedy than an actual lesbian movie. Worth the watch though.

That's basically all I have currently in mind.

last edited at Feb 8, 2017 7:58AM

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Ah-ga-ssi is definitely the best asian sapphic movie out here imho.

You meant Handmaiden? Lol i was finding Ah-ga-ssi but it always showed Handmaiden.

But yeah i agree Handmaiden is best out there.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

As One (korean movie, with bae doona :>) one of my favorite movies, by far. And it's about sports!! ping pong to be exact.
Lily Fever (korean webseries)
Majisuka Gakuen (japanese series) all seasons have yuri subtext, season 2 is my fav
Chinese Botanist's Daughter (chinese movie) tragic but beautiful
Saki (japanese live action series, adapted from manga)
Our Love Story (korean movie)
Seonam Girls High School Detectives (korean series, kdrama) ep 11 and 12 focus on a intense hidden relationship between two girls, def worth watching just for those episodes.
A Girl at My Door (korean movie) with bae doona again but this one is not so pleasant
Daughters of Bilitis Club (korean series) got cancelled after 3 eps because of controversy
Blue (japanese movie)
Fatal Frame (japanese movie)
Whispering Corridors (japanese movie(s)) a movie franchise
Miao Miao (taiwanese movie) lovely! def worth watching but also a little too relatable
Yes or No (thai movie) has a sequel, Yes or No 2
Transit Girls (japanese series, jdrama) fluff, worth watching
The Handmaiden (korean movie) #lots of sex
Spider Lilies (taiwanese movie)
Saving Face (chinese/american movie)

There are so many, it's hard picking out the ones worth mentioning/watching.

last edited at Feb 8, 2017 4:09PM

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

Chinese Botanist's Daughter (chinese movie) tragic but beautiful

I hesitated to put this one because the director is chinese but has lived in France for a long time, and having watched the movie in french, I wasn't sure whether it had a english adaptation or not. Agreed with Melevas, it's worth the watch.

last edited at Feb 8, 2017 9:54AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Agreed with Koveras, it's worth the watch.

Erm... you probably mean melevas. ;-)

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

Don't see what you're talking about ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Don't see what you're talking about ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tsk, tsk, so sneaky. :-)

joined Oct 5, 2016

A Girl at my Door isn't exactly yuri, but it's a great movie about homophobia and other social issues in South Korea. It's very good, but intense. Definitely stay away if you're in the mood for romantic fluff :)

joined Jan 4, 2014

If you are willing to use goggles, "Saihate Nite: Yasashii Kaori to Machinagara” (“The Furthest End Awaits") might be a candidate. Basically the relationship is pretty strong toward the end, but there is no kiss or anything like that. Also be forwarned that it also contains het scenes; although they, and what they represent, also becomes obsolete in the last third of the movie.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

If you are willing to use goggles

Wait, you mean there is an off switch on these things??

joined Oct 5, 2016

Transit Girls

It's like an abridged version of Citrus, it's not a movie but it will only take about 2.5 hours to watch the whole thing.

I watched this today!

It's... Odd. There were parts I really liked, I liked the main girl a lot and how the show made it pretty obvious from the beginning she was in the closet.

But goddamn the kisses were soooo stiff and the taller actress just looked uncomfortable with it, it had all the sensuality of someone getting forced to kiss their weird-smelling grandma goodbye.

Also some of the use of music was downright criminally bad.

Now I'm feeling like I'm just ragging on it, but I really did like it overall!

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Transit Girls

I watched this today!

It's... Odd. There were parts I really liked, I liked the main girl a lot and how the show made it pretty obvious from the beginning she was in the closet.

But goddamn the kisses were soooo stiff and the taller actress just looked uncomfortable with it, it had all the sensuality of someone getting forced to kiss their weird-smelling grandma goodbye.

Oh, no, I agree. The acting was pretty bad, the jealous girl was probably the best actress out of the whole thing. For me, the bath scene made up for the stiff kisses. And the music was mood breaking at some points. But I will take what I can get, it's pretty good as a whole, not everything has to be as good as The Handmaiden.

joined Dec 19, 2016

Transit Girls

I watched this today!

Yeah, I love me some asian romance dramas, but I've noticed that a lot of the time their kissing looks incredibly fake.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Yeah, it was just one of those shows where even though I liked it it felt like it could've been so much better with just some really basic fixes.

Asukaoriii
joined Jul 24, 2015

Short films:
Alice: Crack Of Season
Five Steps To Accept Farewell

I second The Handmaiden and A Girl At My Door (the latter not because of yuri but because it's a good film imo).
Movies that are or have yuri but I haven't watched them myself so watch at your own risk:
Ashamed, In My Ending Is My Beginning, Love, In Between, Bongja, Memento Mori, The Scarlet Letter, Summer Of Director Oh, Two Weddings and a Funeral.

Hormones (Thai drama): season 1, season 2, season 3. The yuri couple is Dao and Koi, here's some of their scenes, there are spoilers in the video, obviously. If you don't want to go through all of the show here are all Dao x Koi scenes.

last edited at Jun 17, 2017 1:30AM

joined Aug 18, 2015

Intimates (Ji Sor) - one of my favs

joined Oct 5, 2016

Hormones (Thai drama): season 1, season 2, season 3. The yuri couple is Dao and Koi, here's some of their scenes, there are spoilers in the video, obviously. If you don't want to go through all of the show here are all Dao x Koi scenes.

I ended up staying up 'til like 4 AM watching Dao x Koi scenes. That was excellent. Especially her coming out scene to her dad was really affecting.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

Five Steps To Accept Farewell

Wow, this actually made me tear up. At first I just thought it was cold but the end really had an impact. I wonder how all closeted lesbians/bisexuals feel in Korea, it seems so cruel to me because she probably loved her a lot but because of social standards that would otherwise literally push her into depression and maybe suicide she decided she had to leave her.

I'm impressed how many details they put into these 9 minutes. For 7 minutes I kept thinking it was one sided and then that one scene changes everything.

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

^^
I was impressed by the acting of the girls, especially the one who was pleading with the other girl to stay. She was very passionate with her acting. I do think it would have impacted more if it was longer and you see a scene where maybe her parents or her friends said something negative about homosexuality. You would then get the full picture. I guess they wanted to hide the girl’s intentions. As we are only speculating that the girl didn’t want to break up with the other girl.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

Movies that are or have yuri but I haven't watched them myself so watch at your own risk:
In My Ending Is My Beginning

This one was fucked up, pseudo-intellectual and philosophical bullshit.

Love, In Between

This one does not have yuri. The two girls are 100% het, as edgy their relationship is. The movie is good though. But again, no yuri

Also another japanese lesbian movie I haven't seen mentioned here : Schoolgirl Complex.

To reply you must either login or sign up.