Forum › Clumsy Girlfriend discussion

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I'm not sure if the afterward is literal or if there was perhaps something lost in translation.

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

I feel blessed

11987161_1662992157250246_4752483831939925755_n
joined Jun 20, 2014

Oh yo XD that was awesome

Kinchan%20drawing%20maru%20%20dfhgsdhfsdhgsdf%20i%20lov%20e
joined Dec 21, 2015

This put a big, yet melancholy grin on my face. If only it had happened... sigh

Really liked the afterword too. It seemed... fitting.

Yep, the afterword was adorable....if only

Yunaavatar2
joined Nov 17, 2016

Man do I want to believe that afterword's sarcastic, but it just doesn't read like it. What a bitter Christmas.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

The afterwork was the absolutely worst thing I ever read XD, killed the good mood that I had after reading such a cute doujin. But it's xmas so nothing will actually kill my good mood.

Also I just noticed... the author has LOTS awesome of yuri doujins, does s/he really think what s/he just wrote there!? That's a waste of a good talent :/

last edited at Dec 25, 2016 9:19PM

Top%20tier
joined May 13, 2015

page 17 is the best

joined Sep 9, 2016

This put a big, yet melancholy grin on my face. If only it had happened... sigh

Really liked the afterword too. It seemed... fitting.

Yep, the afterword was adorable....if only

I'm not sure if you're actually agreeing with me... or jabbing me for an opinion I did not mean to endorse. Honestly, I feel dumb for not considering my words more carefully. See my edit.

Clarify, please?

last edited at Dec 25, 2016 10:17PM

Bikkiav
joined Feb 9, 2015

What a bizarre afterword. It's bad, but also weird following a fluff doujin that even timeskips to post-highschool. Plus the tone of the afterward itself: "It'd be nice...!" ???

joined Sep 9, 2016

What a bizarre afterword. It's bad, but also weird following a fluff doujin that even timeskips to post-highschool. Plus the tone of the afterward itself: "It'd be nice...!" ???

Yeah, it is bizarre. My first time reading it, I took it at face value. But after seeing other reactions and re-reading it, I'm no longer sure how to feel about it.

joined Dec 25, 2016

I wish I could find what it said originally in Japanese to see if it meant anything slightly different. Because I get the feeling that instead of saying "both of them will..." as a simple statement, I get the feeling that it originally said something more like "if and when both of them..." i. e. as a hypothetical.

joined Dec 25, 2016

I wish I could find what it said originally in Japanese to see if it meant anything slightly different. Because I get the feeling that instead of saying "both of them will..." as a simple statement, I get the feeling that it originally said something more like "if and when both of them..." i. e. as a hypothetical.

Here's the original page.
http://i.imgur.com/TKlUdsQ.jpg

__sister_nana_and_weiss_winterprison_mahou_shoujo_ikusei_keikaku_drawn_by_edoya_pochi__2cd83867ac2dfe82cf5a6b457d775603
joined Jan 26, 2016

I could be wrong but my impression of the afterword is that the author is talking about how straight girls experimenting during their youth is a special kind of moe for them as opposed to an actual lesbian couple. Or at least in Kumiko and Reina's case

last edited at Dec 25, 2016 11:27PM

joined Dec 25, 2016

Looking at the original, it does seem like a problem of attempting to break up one big phrase into smaller sentences/clauses. There are some cases where Japanese says things in a much longer drawn-out fashion (for example, an entire paragraph being a single sentence) that, when translated into English, gets changed around to make it easier to swallow.

More literally, it would have been something like:

"It'd be great when those two get married to men and become old women for there to be a sudden instant when they can think something like 'those times were the funnest. Though part of the dark past now'"

I suppose it's not that much of a difference, but I think the tone shifts a little.

last edited at Dec 26, 2016 1:44AM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Yeah, it is bizarre. My first time reading it, I took it at face value. But after seeing other reactions and re-reading it, I'm no longer sure how to feel about it.

I read your edit. I feel that the author was specifically talking about KumiRei's relationship. The author probably read how the writer of the LN says that the things Kumiko and Reina did were just a phase and that they were always straight. Thats just how i saw that afterword, because i can't believe the author actually thinks that of every girl-girl relationship after writing so many yuri stories over the years.

last edited at Dec 26, 2016 1:28AM

joined Dec 25, 2016

Now that I think about it some more, probably there's a bigger difference than I previously thought between what it says there and my above re-translation. Let's just say that I do think the tone was altered significantly by translation.

joined Sep 9, 2016

I read your edit. I feel that the author was specifically talking about KumiRei's relationship. The author probably read how the writer of the LN says that the things Kumiko and Reina did were just a phase and that they were always straight. Thats just how i saw that afterword, because i can't believe the author actually thinks that of every girl-girl relationship after writing so many yuri stories over the years.

That's the sense I got the first time I read it. I got a bit freaked out that someone might see me as bigoted for my initial reaction when I intended nothing of the sort.

joined Dec 25, 2016

Now that I think about it some more, probably there's a bigger difference than I previously thought between what it says there and my above re-translation. Let's just say that I do think the tone was altered significantly by translation.

Just saying. Three different translators who have been doing it for years proof read this.
Take that however you will.

joined Dec 25, 2016

"Doing it for years" doesn't necessarily mean that they are working to get every part of a translation 100% accurate, because that's not what you do or even aim to do in a translation. In fact, that's impossible for Japanese. Most translators, when translating from Japanese to English, in fact, do change things in order to make it less accurate so that it makes more sense in English. That's simply part of the translation process, not a mistake done by novice translators, though of course novice translators will be even less accurate. That's why even with professional translations, you never really get the original because it's impossible to capture in English and sound natural.

As for another book that has been translated a lot, think of the centuries Bible translations and all the disputes that have gone on with that book. The famed author John Steinbeck wrote an entire novel that was about disputing one translation of a single passage of that book, in fact, and it was titled "East of Eden."

last edited at Dec 26, 2016 3:18AM

joined Dec 25, 2016

I was trying to be polite about it. But I guess it doesn't matter.
Either way, you're just wrong. And your English is also very weak. Because in just four posts, you have a dozen typos. I also took a quick look at your blog and saw many typos in works there as well.
Anyway, enjoy having the last word.

joined Dec 25, 2016

Now that you say that, I have a hard time believing that you're for real. No serious person would simply say "you're just wrong" and launch a bunch of random unrelated insults right out of the blue.

Which leaves me confused why you were so kind to provide the scan of the original afterward earlier if you were intending just throw random insults from the very beginning.

last edited at Dec 26, 2016 4:45AM

joined Oct 17, 2015

The translation "It'd be great when those two get married to men and become old women for there to be a sudden instant when they can think something like 'those times were the funnest. Though part of the dark past now'" does seem to make more sense, at least considering the kinds of things Tama 2 wrote in the past. It's pretty much identical to the current translation with only tiny differences, but considering the response of people here, it seems like those tiny differences make a big difference, possibly anyways.

Aki
joined May 22, 2014

Oh that 'adult life'!... Brings hope, c'mon grow older guys and live together already!! <3

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

clearly the author read the LN and accepted how the story was going to end.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

the doujin had ambiguity. it also showed them together as adults not just their dark past.

To reply you must either login or sign up.