Forum › Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! discussion

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

why is it turning like Citrus

what
You mean, how repetitive it is or...?

I mean yuri being shown as intial focus of the story but later turned into something else.

Lmao, Citrus isn't yuri anymore?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

what

I mean yuri being shown as intial focus of the story but later turned into something else.

This manga's narrative theme is "living in denial", so Shinozaki's struggle with her otaku tendencies and her attraction to another girl are just two faces of the same coin. I know some readers here have one-track minds only interested in yuri romance, but others, including yours truly, quite enjoy non-standard narratives likes this. :-)

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Oh man, somehow I've only now noticed that they changed Smile into Slime

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Well... at least it was amusing re-watching bits of Smile Precure to double-check the references.

The first episode of Smile Precure's called "誕生!笑顔まんてん、キュアハピ!!" or, in a very literal translation, "Birth! Full of Smiles, Cure Happy!!" But "Ehh!? I'm a Precure!?" is such a generic Precure episode name I'm surprised it hasn't been used as an actual Precure episode name before.

On page 14, Shinozaki's pose with her throwing her hand at the camera strongly resembles the pose of Midorikawa Onee-chan/Cure March.

Moe's, on the same page, resembles the pose of Akane Onee-chan/Cure Sunny, just with a wand stuck in her hand.

last edited at Oct 18, 2016 2:58PM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

what

This manga's narrative theme is "living in denial", so Shinozaki's struggle with her otaku tendencies and her attraction to another girl are just two faces of the same coin. I know some readers here have one-track minds only interested in yuri romance, but others, including yours truly, quite enjoy non-standard narratives likes this. :-)

I like nonstandard narratives when they actually progress as a narrative but this one has sorta been sitting in stasis for a while now and just rehashing that theme over and over again without really doing anything more with it.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Repeating a punchline over and over isn't a nonstandard narrative. In fact it's a common one in serial comedies (not just manga).

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Nezchan posted:

Repeating a punchline over and over isn't a nonstandard narrative. In fact it's a common one in serial comedies (not just manga).

The problem with this is that we get series cancelled for lack of interest, with a rushed ending losing the chance of character development because they thought that this could go on for 50 or more chapters.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Nezchan posted:

The problem with this is that we get series cancelled for lack of interest, with a rushed ending losing the chance of character development because they thought that this could go on for 50 or more chapters.

Nez didn't say it's a good thing. Only that it's a common practice.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Aich, the credit page *_* I want the Valentine's chap now ;_;

last edited at Oct 19, 2016 9:41PM

joined Jul 31, 2013

If reading the manga is so miserable, why show up to read it with every release? Why rush to promptly comment? Why focus your comments solely on the displeasure you're feeling and leave the conversation in the muck and mire after you lose your momentary interest? Have some respect for your own time, other peoples' interests, and the artists of the genre.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Juice posted:

If reading the manga is so miserable, why show up to read it with every release? Why rush to promptly comment? Why focus your comments solely on the displeasure you're feeling and leave the conversation in the muck and mire after you lose your momentary interest? Have some respect for your own time, other peoples' interests, and the artists of the genre.

I know how you must feel, but I actually want to see the progress... I'm skipping the current content and reading the reactions to see if we're moving forward... That's also a form of respect for my time, avoiding things that we've already seen.
I wouldn't be here if I didn't like it, but I don't like it now... I'm very concerned, worried about this... If you don't believe me, check the first 3 pages of the discussion, see how happy we were at the beginning

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I like nonstandard narratives when they actually progress as a narrative but this one has sorta been sitting in stasis for a while now and just rehashing that theme over and over again without really doing anything more with it.

Lack of progress is fine, as long as it is entertaining. If it isn't entertaining for you anymore, then I guess we won't come to an agreement on this, but I meant "non-standard" not in the structural sense that Nez pointed out, but more in the premise/detail sense: I don't know of any other manga that plays its MC's denial of her fangirl nature off that of her yuriness, and I find this combo unusual and entertaining, even despite the lack of narrative development.

If I may play the devil's advocate some more, a lack of progress, for one thing, does make it easier to pick up a manga four months after the last chapter was released and still remember what the heck was going on there. ;-)

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

Lack of progress is fine, as long as it is entertaining. If it isn't entertaining for you anymore, then I guess we won't come to an agreement on this, but I meant "non-standard" not in the structural sense that Nez pointed out, but more in the premise/detail sense: I don't know of any other manga that plays its MC's denial of her fangirl nature off that of her yuriness, and I find this combo unusual and entertaining, even despite the lack of narrative development.

If I may play the devil's advocate some more, a lack of progress, for one thing, does make it easier to pick up a manga four months after the last chapter was released and still remember what the heck was going on there. ;-)

But at the same time the lack of progress give you less reasons to pick a manga later.

Honestly, I like the manga, but lately I'm just checking the comments to see if anything happened out of common, like some yuri development.
At some point I will probably start reading again from the beginning. But now I'm lacking motivation, I guess.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

But at the same time the lack of progress give you less reasons to pick a manga later.

At some point I will probably start reading again from the beginning. But now I'm lacking motivation, I guess.

Well, my motivation to read every new chapter is the wacky fangirl hijinks. If you are only in it for the yuri, I guess it could be frustrating, but in that case, I can recommend a website with lots of free yuri manga to you, if you're interested. :-)

last edited at Oct 21, 2016 9:50AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Koveras posted:

Well, my motivation to read every new chapter is the wacky fangirl hijinks. If you are only in it for the yuri, I guess it could be frustrating, but in that case, I can recommend a website with lots of free yuri manga to you, if you're interested. :-)

Progress doesn't necessarily means yuri development, we would love that of course but any real change in Akina's mind or heart would be welcome (and one that doesn't reset in the next chapter).

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Koveras posted:

Progress doesn't necessarily means yuri development, we would love that of course but any real change in Akina's mind or heart would be welcome (and one that doesn't reset in the next chapter).

But wouldn't any real change negate the very premise of the series and thus end it?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Koveras posted:

Koveras posted:

But wouldn't any real change negate the very premise of the series and thus end it?

I trust the author can make it feel fresh and keep going some more but I rather a good ending now than watching this series become pokemon, if Ash wins the league then it's over, if Ash keeps the evolved pokemon he becomes too strong so he leaves them behind, he doesn't even grows old or remember the friends he leaves behind... This could be Akina (okay maybe she won't have 500 episodes but...) and I don't want that.

And By The way, when did you started reading this? maybe the main reason why I'm so worried is because I'm here since the release of the first chapter 3 years ago! can you blame us for feeling disappointing after 3 years ? sigh ... Frankly I just want this to end around chapter 50, that would be great and for the new readers it would be excellent.

last edited at Oct 21, 2016 5:40PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Only if the writer isn't good at their job. But if they're relying solely on formula, sure.

last edited at Oct 21, 2016 6:42PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I trust the author can make it feel fresh and keep going some more but I rather a good ending now than watching this series become pokemon, if Ash wins the league then it's over, if Ash keeps the evolved pokemon he becomes too strong so he leaves them behind, he doesn't even grows old or remember the friends he leaves behind... This could be Akina (okay maybe she won't have 500 episodes but...) and I don't want that.

There is a quite obvious time progression in the series (counted from one Comiket to the next), so sooner or later, she will have to at least graduate from school. :D I think a more apt bad role model would be Sasameki Koto, which floundered around for many years before ever the author grew bored with it and put it out of its misery with the most anticlimactic ending ever.

And By The way, when did you started reading this? maybe the main reason why I'm so worried is because I'm here since the release of the first chapter 3 years ago! can you blame us for feeling disappointing after 3 years ? sigh ... Frankly I just want this to end around chapter 50, that would be great and for the new readers it would be excellent.

Three years is hardly anything to get worked about, on the grand scale. Some parts of the Nanoha fandom have been waiting for interesting plot developments since ViVid launched in 2009. :D But to answer your question, I think I got in on Shinozaki about a year ago, so I guess chapter 25-26?

Only if the writer isn't good at their job. But if they're relying solely on formula, sure.

I am not sure what this author's record is (or whether they have much of one), so I cannot judge how good they are at their job. However, from a pure narratological perspective, once the core story premise is resolved, it must either be replaced with a new one, or the story needs to end. Personally, I find both options unsatisfying, as I quite enjoy the current premise at the moment and don't think it has been sufficiently mined for comedy yet. :-)

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

In my case, I started reading this since the first chapter coming on dynasty and I still enjoy it all the same, but I don't expect much developpement anyway, just seeing more shenanigans until the whole manga reaches the point where it might be axed and then the author will try to finish it all up in a few chapters.

That's far from uncommon in the manga industry, authors have to start things with a bang to catch interest and get serialized, then keep things going for as long as they can before either running out or being cancelled.

And it's not just limited to yuri. Take Detective conan, for example, one of the longest run, which had very little developpement of both its metaplot and romance plot in more than 20 years of serialization. The actual confession of the MC to his love interest was fairly recent and the girl still have to give a proper answer yet. XD

joined Sep 21, 2014

The actual confession of the MC to his love interest was fairly recent and the girl still have to give a proper answer yet. XD

omfg I didnt know that ಠ▃ಠ I haven't been up to date, but who knew I was gonna get spoiled on DConan on Dynasty (╯。•́︿•̀。)╯︵ ┻━┻
But Detective Conan is good shit, I love it. Even if "PLOT" wise it hardly has real development, each case is still interesting. They're still just hundreds of cases and not tackling the more important issues, but it's still fairly enjoyable and intriguing

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

My bad, but that happened years ago, so didn't think it would still warrant a spoiler tag. ^^;

And yeah, I do love detective conan, but it does push the whole "stretching things out" to the limit on various plot points. Most of the cases are interesting, yeah, which makes the whole thing enjoyable, but even the most basic metaplot point can take months, if not year, to progress to a satisfactory revelation or action taken.

joined Sep 21, 2014

Do you know approximately what chapter/volume? Maybe I've read it, but just forgot about it
The problem with it taking so long to advance or close certain plot points is that I honestly forget those bits/details

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Don't remembr the exact chapter, but around 750, during the london arc. Considering we're currently around chapter 975, think we have a winner when it comes to stretching a romance out. :p

joined Sep 21, 2014

Okay well I've definitely read past that point, so wow, either I forgot about it, or it actually went over my head. I probably forgot. Well, this is just how much they've stretched this haha, to the point that I actually forgot the fucking confession lmao
Eh, I'll catch up one day. I always come back to it at one point

last edited at Oct 23, 2016 2:52AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.