Forum › Anime season

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ Speaking of Stella no Mahou, streaming service Daisuki will be picking it up starting on the 10th of Oct. And, considering it's serialized in Manga Time Kirara, it'll almost definitely have some bit of yuri shipping potential like all the other adaptations; ie, GochiUsa.

Tbh I'd just skip out on Soushin Shoujo, it doesn't look like it'll have much yuri in it.

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 3:52AM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Could someone clarify for me whether the protagonists in Izetta are supposed to like each other romantically or not? I think so but it almost seemed like the writers deliberately made it unclear. Or I'm just seeing what I want to see.
(Only watched episode 2)

Why would you skip the first episode? That aside, it's ambiguous currently. Might get cleared up later, might not

...I'd like to take a moment here to note that anime tends to make romantic pairings ambiguous in general, and the treatment of yuri isn't really all that unusual

^ Speaking of Stella no Mahou, streaming service Daisuki will be picking it up starting on the 10th of Oct. And, considering it's serialized in Manga Time Kirara, it'll almost definitely have some bit of yuri shipping potential like all the other adaptations; ie, GochiUsa.

Suns are out elsewhere... I didn't notice much shippable in the first episode

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

^ Tbh I don't think we'll ever get a true clarification going forward since most yuri anime are made that way, mostly because Japan is terrible when it comes to accepting the idea that

A) Girls that like other girls actually exist, and
B) Their truly, and I can't stress this enough, archaic "class S" or "it's just a phase" mindset should be abolished.

Personally I wouldn't ponder on it too much and just roll with it being yuri; if the author doesn't go out of the way to say otherwise, just think of the lack-of-confirmation as an act "throwing a bone" to the sad ppl that refuse to change their mindset.

That's sooooooooo lame. Interestingly, I was telling my mother (who is a lesbian) about Class S and how some people in Japan still believe that lesbianism is just a phase, and she didn't believe me; she found it too ridiculous to accept.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Tbh I'd just skip out on Soushin Shoujo, it doesn't look like it'll have much yuri in it.

I said I'll watch if I'm bored. I still have to catch up with Mahoutsukai Precure, I keep forgetting since we haven't gotten any subs in weeks. And my soul darkens each week when there's no subs...grrr

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ I read that, I'm saying just watch Girlish Number instead :p

The ED of Soushin Shoujo seems to imply the anime might focus on Matoi and her dad, while it's scenes using the standard techniques that are usually present in romance anime used to hint a "connection" between 2 characters...which could be a bit unnerving considering her magical girl form takes the visage of her deceased (?) mother

...I'd like to take a moment here to note that anime tends to make romantic pairings ambiguous in general, and the treatment of yuri isn't really all that unusual

Ambiguous, yes, but usually there's a distinct confirmation of love. Which most yuri-based anime seems to lack the courage to do despite the characters clearly having attraction and interest in eachother; mostly because the industry is filled with waifu weebs who'd rather think that the girls would love them than another girl, because "it's just a phase".

Again, I'd like to think of it as authors throwing a bone to these ppl and/or playing them for suckers and taking their money by not outright confirming that "These girls are lesbians, they exist"

last edited at Oct 14, 2016 8:44PM

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Why would you skip the first episode? That aside, it's ambiguous currently. Might get cleared up later, might not

Just happened to come across the second episode and watched it on whim. I'll watch the first one later. And I have to disagree with that aside. Romantic subtext is common in anime, but I can't think of a series where the DRIVING FORCE of the story is an obviously romantic relationship between a man and woman, yet it's somehow never 100% confirmed whether their relationship is romantic in nature at all. I can think of several yuri series that are like this.

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 4:34AM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-09/seiji-mizushima-helms-escha-chron-anime-project-at-studio-lerche/.107429

Well, this looks like it'll be an interesting anime, with hopefully some yuri potential.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-09/seiji-mizushima-helms-escha-chron-anime-project-at-studio-lerche/.107429

Well, this looks like it'll be an interesting anime, with hopefully some yuri potential.

The premise is suspiciously similar to GaraKowa's

Staff is a bit worrying: Mizushima's output is fairly erratic to begin with, but his position as chief director means that he's basically training some no-name. The writer doesn't have the best history, either

But, yes, it could easily have yuri potential

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

So I just finished Occultic;Nine, and the 1st ep was blazingly fast; it feels like the director took the fast exposition style of the ___monogatari series and put it up on steriods. But, that isn't necessarily a bad thing because it did still managed to get me hooked into the story, especially when there is evidence that something in the occult is at work in the story universe.

The main MC is rather outlandish and a bit of a perv, but he is nothing too base-breaking for me to not want to continue watching the anime. Other characters are relatively interesting and 'vivid' in a way, with my interest being heavily focused on the gothic loli chara who runs a black magic shop that helps it's customers curse ppl through using someone's "hair" as catalyst.

Not a bad start overall, and I am looking forward to seeing how things will unfold after this 1st ep. Oh and, if anything, Occultic;Nine has the best ED track I've heard this season, beating Nano's "Dreamcatcher" which is used as the ED for MahouKei.

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 7:51AM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Oh shit, this Dragon Ball Super episode was actually pretty fucking good
I was certain they would mess everything up trying to explain Black and Zamasu

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Jojo Bizarre Adventures latest episode stole this week! Too much awesomeness!

Didn't thought Rohan would cut his finger right before OP.

And dat 'I REUFUSE' though

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/177/965/331.jpg

DB super was just average at best. The plot is too predictable and boring at this pint.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Oohh Long Riders was better than expected, not the history or writing... But when I saw the poster https://www.koi-nya.net/img/subidos_posts/2016/05/Long-Riders-anime-imagen-promocional.jpg I thought it was a neat character design, just how I like them and now that I see them moving, is great! looks smooth~

First time I'm following like 8 series in a single season ... Good

And I loooooove when they wear uniforms.... And I love the blonde and and T-THEY'RE IN COLLEGE! How revolutionary is that for today's standars with a full cast of girls?!

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 5:28PM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Izetta's ep 2 was giu, both plot and relationship wise, got to to see what her abilities involved (and her consciousness of the weight of human lives, which I think is a moral/character plus) and the general idea of their background as childhood friends or something, and how Izetta feels a great amount a debt towards Finé. I'm totes sure Izetta has a crush, she's pretty much dedicating her life to Finé

I also watched the 2nd ep of Magical Girl Raising Project and ehh im not too sure. Getting attached to characters amd feeling for the tragedy that befalls them is one thing, but only getting a vague impression of x and then seeing what happens... ehh, it just feels like gratuitous deaths /sympathy/ badfeels
not seeing what happens to her, but hearing her mother's lamentation kinda... felt really bad. Her hopes of getting her life back under control and... it just felt bad. A bad taste in your mouth

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 6:17PM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

Well, Izetta's 2nd ep definitely picked up, and the introduction of Izetta's character and how her magick works definitely made the anime a lot more vibrant and interesting; hopefully the anime can maintain this balance of deepening the relationship between Fine and Izetta, and the general WWII plot. Moving it to keeping.

MahouKei is a bit odd, first ep started off good and the 2nd somewhat stayed on par, but it didn't really get anywhere. Oh and, just because it's somewhat relevant, "There's a 16th Magical Girl, look out for her." Still putting MahouKei on considering, although I'm not sure if I want to continue it.

That aside, moving Soushin Shoujo to Dropped since the 1st ep really didn't impress me and the potential for yuri shipping seems dreadfully low.

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 8:46PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Watched the first ep of Flip Flappers tonight and really liked how goofy and cartoony it is. But I'll be honest, I can't see this developing into yuri any more than this. They seem to be going for "devoted friends, one had boundary issues" and no further.

Who knows, other eps might be gayer, but so far I ain't seein' it.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ According to this relationship chart, Papika loves Cocona, so that counts.

edit: translation here

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 8:45PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

^ According to this relationship chart, Papika loves Cocona, so that counts.

edit: translation here

Well, what kind of "lovelove" remains to be seen. I suspect they'll keep it goofy and non-romantic.

Being wrong would be nice, though.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ However you wish to look at it I guess ¯_(ツ)_/¯ Im personally fine with how yuri it is at this point, but making it clearer would be nice too.

Still, in general and not necessarily pertaining to Flip Flappers, I don't think love between characters need to outright mentioned to show that they love eachother, just showing that the characters have a clear attraction and affection towards eachother speaks just as much sometimes.

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 10:02PM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

On Flip Flappers, the actions themselves aren't necessarily romantic, but the way they're framed is. We get several scenes where it looks like Cocona and Papika are about to kiss, and the first time Cocona sees Papika the shot has that glowly slow-mo effect normally reserved for love interests. They seem to want us to at least consider the possibility that the relationship is romantic

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm just hoping it doesn't take a right turn into imitation Madoka halfway through.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

Also worth noting is that Papika is the one initiating those romantically framed actions: which, with her relationship chart with Cocona being taken into account, I think is a clear indicator that Papika does romantically love Cocona.

And Im sure Cocona herself will gradually start to fall for Papika more later on in the anime, the 1st ep already shows that she is starting to warm up to her.

I'm just hoping it doesn't take a right turn into imitation Madoka halfway through.

We've MahouKei for that :p

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 11:13PM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Not impossible but I don't think it's very likely, either. While it is darker than cute girls exploring fantasy lands, it's breed of darkness seems to be more melancholy than horror. Most Madoka-likes have been pretty open about what they're doing, too

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I watched the first ep of the ping pong girls anime reluctantly tbh, it seems kinda meh, art style seemed goofy/exaggerated, but it was mentioned earlier in the thread at least twice +potential yuri so i gave it a go, and omg I'm hooked, I'm a sucker for random new characters that intrude on other's casual/everyday lives and are underestimated and turn out to be really strong/op. Like it's a super cliche plot line (cliche isn't necessarily bad) and I love it. If done well, the way it builds up the mood, I can't help hyping with it
I saw what could be interpreted as 'subtext' but tbh Akagi just really like to be praised and gets really embarrassed at the same time. The potential ship could get closer, but for now, the blushy faces is just cus Koyori (?) is timid af, dependent and relies on the other a lot, and Akagi handles praise awkwardly (I think it's hella cute tho)

joined Mar 11, 2016

Takkyu Musme's second episode didn't disappoint both in yuri and enjoyment. There is a yurilious hug between senpai and Agari in the end and hokuto x hanabi is mutual. :3

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei is dull but I am planning to watch it to the end however.

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

This season I'm watching:

Brave Witches
Flip Flappers
Gintama
Girlish Number
Izetta: The Last Witch
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Long Riders!
Magic of Stella
Mahō Shōjo Nante Mō Ii Desu Kara Second Season
Matoi the Sacred Slayer (Maybe? Haven't started it yet)
Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars
Scorching Ping Pong Girls
Sound! Euphonium 2
Teekyū

Then I've yet to finish Gintama, Girl Friend BETA, Flying Witch, Saki, Saki spin-off, Usakame...

There's so much anime, but not enough time. :D

last edited at Oct 12, 2016 2:05PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.