ForumNews How to Help the LGBT Community in Orlando

joined Oct 4, 2015

It would've been at least a lot less deadly.

What's done is done though, hopefully this'll put things in motion so it becomes a lot harder for anything like it to happen again.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

shibadoge posted:

I also blame the security service, because apparently the killer was already being watched by the FBI. This happened in Brussels, too. Both times, the security services dropped the ball hard and people sadly died in the result.

The issue here is that they suspected the idiot who did this but legally had no ground upon which to act. You can't just have law enforcement going around apprehending people who they think might do something bad without arresting a crap load of innocent people in the process. It really sucks that this sort of thing happens but law enforcement can't really be blamed here.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

The watch list is a bullshit piece of legislation that means nothing because it's little more than a document filled with Arab-sounding names. Dude was clearly non-practicing and was almost certainly not connected to any Islamic terror groups. The list is broad and indiscriminate, and as a result has a false positive rate that makes it worthless as anything but a fomenter of anti-Muslim sentiment. Dude was serving in one of those mercenary paramilitary organizations, so it's not like the government thought he couldn't be trusted with weaponry. This is the reddest of herrings.

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

I didn't read through the thread but I'm just going to point out that an artist on twitter is trying to do something to help too.
https://twitter.com/spacelynvader/status/742466070280339456

I think this is a wonderful idea.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I didn't read through the thread but I'm just going to point out that an artist on twitter is trying to do something to help too.

Fits the Dynasty theme, too. Pretty awesome.

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

Fits the Dynasty theme, too. Pretty awesome.

That's awesome! I would buy one

joined Jun 12, 2012

IMO this news doesn't really belong on Dynasty regardless if it involves the LGBT community or not, but I understand the push for donating to the cause.

Bayonettamachinekill
joined Apr 8, 2013

the official place to donate I already did my donation $5 dollars and more, thank you everyone $3 million raise to help the guys who left us. https://www.gofundme.com/pulsevictimsfund

Casusby Admin
__mioda_ibuki_danganronpa_and_super_danganronpa_2_drawn_by_qosic__sample
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

IMO this news doesn't really belong on Dynasty regardless if it involves the LGBT community or not, but I understand the push for donating to the cause.

I decide what belongs here and what doesn't.

Img_0277small
joined Jun 15, 2016

This was a truly terrible event and I was so saddened to hear about it. I wanted to share an event that happened to me today. I was at a restaurant that I frequent, and the cashier asked if I knew what happened. He told me that he and his wife were both donating this month's paychecks to help people in Orlando. He also gave me my meal on the house because he wanted to show LGBTQ+ people that not everyone hates or judges us. I know this is very small solace to anyone who lost someone, but I also know that after a terrible event like this, it can seem like the whole world is hell. And I wanted to give some small example that there is still some kindness.

joined Jun 15, 2016

Exactly.
In school I had some Muslim friends. They were kind and nice and of accepting of me even though I was bi-sexual. I understood from them that homosexuality was forbidden in their beliefs, but they themselves understood me and befriended me.

Try to be gay in an islamic country and we'll talk again lol

Germany, for example, has never been islamic at any time in its history of existence and being openly gay could get you death penalty until WW2 and land you in jail until the 60's came around. And there's a bunch of other countries that were never islamic and had or still have homosexuality written down in their law as a crime. The problem about islamic countries isn't their religion, it's their governments. Nothing more, nothing less.

K2
joined May 22, 2014

You can also help by voting Trump

I rather drink acid before voting for him :)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nez Note

As mentioned a few times thorughout, this isn't the place for airing your politics, what you think about Muslims, Donald Trump or gun control. It is about exactly what Casusby wrote in the title:

How to Help the LGBT Community in Orlando

Before you hit "Create Post" ask yourself if what you wrote is actually about that topic. And if not, maybe hit the back button since it'll save me hitting the "Delete" button.

Su%20new
joined Jul 27, 2015

To be perfectly honest though, even though I get what Casusby said about him deciding what does and doesn't belong here, I don't think there's anyone here, who didn't already know what had happened at Pulse when the thread was opened. Shortly after the news went around the world, so did news about all the things that were started to help in various ways. I guess what I'm saying is that creating a forum thread about the topic on a site with minimal moderation wasn't only unnecessary in a practical sense, but also pretty much risking the opening of what could've been a gigantic can of worms a person with mod experience just couldn't have missed. Or in other words: He should've seen it coming. Topics like this attract trolls like shit attracts flies and it's common knowledge that these buggers don't care about rules. They troll until they get banned and if they had fun they'll make another account and return. If even someone like me could see where this could have gone after just a few posts in here, it must've really been painfully obvious. In fact, I'm guessing the only reason why this thing hasn't gone mad already isn't mainly because him and you, Nez, try to keep things under control, but simply cause, judged by the number of posts made in here until now, people just don't care about this thread (which only backs up what I had said before, actually: it's kinda unnecessary to have this here. There's nobody who doesn't know about Pulse or would need the extra notification. FB, tumblr, twitter...it's everywhere.)

last edited at Jun 21, 2016 4:16AM

joined Jun 12, 2012

I decide what belongs here and what doesn't.

I said "in my opinion". Nobody is threatening your authority about what goes on here and what doesn't.

Su%20new
joined Jul 27, 2015

Gordon

Off topic, but...your avatar. Yes. Just... yes.
Kay, that's all. XD

last edited at Jun 20, 2016 5:01PM

Girl%20with%20a%20black%20cat%20avatar
joined Dec 27, 2015

Suzuma said:
"people just don't care about this thread (which only backs up what I had said before, actually: it's kinda unnecessary to have this here. There's nobody who doesn't know about Pulse or would need the extra notification. FB, tumblr, twitter...it's everywhere.)"

So what does it hurt to try to provide another opportunity to help those in need by posting on a site devoted to lesbian and gay stories. Are some going to use it otherwise, sure. It's human nature. It happens.
I think it shows compassion on Casusby's part. Yes there are links to help everywhere, including here, posted by caring individuals who just want to help those affected by a tragedy. The world is a better place because of these like minded individuals. Because they care.

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

Just an update on the shirt thing I mentioned before https://twitter.com/spacelynvader/status/744244565696094209

Su%20new
joined Jul 27, 2015

Kisa
You misunderstood the main intention of my message. I never said it hurt to have this thread here and I wasn't saying this thread shouldn't be here, because people already know about Pulse and ways they can help. I was saying, that sensitive topics like this are basically like opening a buffet for trolls and that, if Casusby didn't want to stress out his already very, very few moderators, maybe he should've thought twice about creating this topic, seeing how technically it wouldn't really have been necessary in the first place, cause the vast majority on here already knew about Pulse and ways to help due to the big social media networks, news etc. In that sense, it's a good thing people don't care about this thread on here, because otherwise you could've bet shit would've hit the fan in here in no time at all. Compassion can be shown in other ways - ways that wouldn't potentially put the mental sanity of those assigned with the mod job at risk.

tl;dr: Think before you do. That's all I was saying.

last edited at Jun 22, 2016 6:20AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Kisa
You misunderstood the main intention of my message. I never said it hurt to have this thread here and I wasn't saying this thread shouldn't be here, because people already know about Pulse and ways they can help. I was saying, that sensitive topics like this are basically like opening a buffet for trolls and that, if Casusby didn't want to stress out his already very, very few moderators, maybe he should've thought twice about creating this topic, seeing how technically it wouldn't really have been necessary in the first place, cause the vast majority on here already knew about Pulse and ways to help due to the big social media networks, news etc. In that sense, it's a good thing people don't care about this thread on here, because otherwise you could've bet shit would've hit the fan in here in no time at all. Compassion can be shown in other ways - ways that wouldn't potentially put the mental sanity of those assigned with the mod job at risk.

tl;dr: Think before you do. That's all I was saying.

I would recommend taking your own advice. How were either of your lengthy meta posts necessary in any way? From my point of view, they contribute to derailing the topic every bit as much any supposed trolls, which you'll note is a word I did not apply to the people commenting (being off topic is not the same as trolling). Rather than How to Help the LGBT Community in Orlando, we're talking about why Casusby should or should not have posted anything about it based on your assumption that "everyone knew" about an event that happened the same day the post went up, an utterly unfounded assumption to start with. Further, we have an international readership, so not only may the news have been new to them, it's helpful to provide ways for them to help people so far away, at a time when it may not have been clear what avenues were available/legitimate. If anything's contributing to my stress right now, it's not Casusby.

tl;dr This whole mess is off topic. I ask again, please stay on topic.

last edited at Jun 22, 2016 8:20AM

machigai kouhai Uploader
Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Another Nez Note

Future attempts to derail and deviate from the topic and put forward pet theories will get summarily deleted. Nobody will be blocked or anything, but derailing posts will be removed.

41d15eb7093baec072fbb832ad7e1d7d
joined Jun 27, 2014

Another Nez Note

Future attempts to derail and deviate from the topic and put forward pet theories will get summarily deleted. Nobody will be blocked or anything, but derailing posts will be removed.

:P

To reply you must either login or sign up.