Forum › Swimsuit discussion

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

sorry i opened this only for a question:
i'm always looking for good sci-fi, even better if yuri too, but only manga, i don't see anime,
how is mai hime?
i remember that an other cult-scifi-yuri manga (with 2 miko and big mechas, i can't remember the name) was a great delusion...

someone can recommend me a good title, like, for example, yokohama kaidashi or blue drop?

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

i'm always looking for good sci-fi, even better if yuri too, but only manga, i don't see anime,
how is mai hime?
i remember that an other cult-scifi-yuri manga (with 2 miko and big mechas, i can't remember the name) was a great delusion...

someone can recommend me a good title, like, for example, yokohama kaidashi or blue drop?

Its kannazuki no miko how could you forget such a masterpiece!?)) Though anime is much more better
Hmm. You may read MaiHime but there wont be much yuri in the first place
Maybe Simoun will be more for your likes? Or Kiddy Grade?

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

To be honest, and maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't really classify any of those (Mai-hime, Simoun, KnM) as real "sci-fi" - even though there are mechanical elements, they're really just stand-ins for magic or mythology. They're more of what I'd call "fantasy".

A really hard science fiction yuri anime? Geez, let me think...Mouretsu Pirates might count. Not really "hard" SF, but there are no supernatural elements at least. Kiddy Grade's a borderline case, still kind of "magic superpowers", but a good show, certainly. Blue Drop is definitely a good, if sad, example.

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

Its kannazuki no miko how could you forget such a masterpiece!?)) Though anime is much more better

thanks for the fast answer,
if it's not much yuri is not a problem, i liked YKK a lot, that has only a slight yuri feeling in it, but i think is pretty unique,
simoun seems a magical girl manga, but it wasn't a delusion like kannazuki (yes, it's it), perhaps these enormous mechas that came out from nowhere was too strange for my likes, but i'm sure the anime is better,
i look for kiddy grade, i don't know it,
anyway, i wanted something more slice of life than action (and i know this is a yuri forum, but i accept also no-yuri advices)

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

To be honest, and maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't really classify any of those (Mai-hime, Simoun, KnM) as real "sci-fi" - even though there are mechanical elements, they're really just stand-ins for magic or mythology. They're more of what I'd call "fantasy".

A really hard science fiction yuri anime? Geez, let me think...Mouretsu Pirates might count. Not really "hard" SF, but there are no supernatural elements at least. Kiddy Grade's a borderline case, still kind of "magic superpowers", but a good show, certainly. Blue Drop is definitely a good, if sad, example.

yes, you are right,
i prefer pure sci-fi, like blue drop (why sad?), but there are few, most are only anime, while i want to read, then i can be satisfy with a good fantasy too,
i read venus versus virus, and it was good, if we don't count the bad ending (and it's a false yuri too !)
i'll look for your advice too, thanks

post edit: an other example of what i'm looking for is aria (i know is not yuri)
i saw now that KG is an anime too, like bodacious pirates, and, from my experience, manga from anime aren't good

last edited at Jun 8, 2013 6:13AM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Simoun and Aria, though very different, are two of the best anime ever, in my opinion. If slice of life is what you're after, there's nothing else that has the magic of Aria. Simoun, on the other hand, is an amazing and tragic story, beautifully told. As I say, it's not really what I'd call "sci-fi", but it is absolutely worth seeing no matter what.

Anyway, I assume you meant "anime adapted from manga", although I don't really understand why you'd think that would make them bad, as that's actually the usual way anime gets made, and there are many excellent examples. In any case though, Mouretsu Pirates is actually started as a series of light novels, not manga.

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

Anyway, I assume you meant "anime adapted from manga", although I don't really understand why you'd think that would make them bad, as that's actually the usual way anime gets made, and there are many excellent examples. In any case though, Mouretsu Pirates is actually started as a series of light novels, not manga.

i like to read, books, manga and novels, then i was talking about "manga adapted from anime", i can't say anythings about anime because i don't see one from ages,
the first usually is the best, for example i loved Haruhi's novels, i try to see the anime but it wrap only the first book, and the manga too isn't good, only the film was great (it narrates the 4° book's story)

i'm curious about the anime of blue drop, i want to see it if i can find the time, but i can't immagine the anime version of yokohama kaidashi kikou, it's too slow, sad, soft and poetic for the pace of an anime

Yayoi
joined Jan 31, 2013

Simoun and Aria, though very different, are two of the best anime ever, in my opinion. If slice of life is what you're after, there's nothing else that has the magic of Aria. Simoun, on the other hand, is an amazing and tragic story, beautifully told. As I say, it's not really what I'd call "sci-fi", but it is absolutely worth seeing no matter what.

YES if you have not watch Simoun you really MUST watch it! I watched it in one sitting because it was just so damn amazing I can't even put it in words!

Been awhile since I seen a shiznat doujin <3 makes me wanna watch Mai Hime and Mai Otome again ^_^ I hope to see more shiznat in the future :D

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

You watched a 13-hour anime series in one sitting? Thats....a bit...uh....

Leaving aside the obvious, I can't help but think that's sort of a shame. Simoun is one of those shows where it's best to watch one episode and give yourself time to think about it before going on. With shows like that, even if I have all of it available to me, I'd probably only watch one episode a day at most.

Still, I an understand your fascination. As I once wrote regarding it, "The hallmark of a truly captivating enigma is when you feel as though if you contemplated it just a little longer, a little harder, you could pierce the veil and gain some true insight into the heart of the mysteries. Simoun makes an art of creating this feeling."

last edited at Jun 8, 2013 9:34PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Oh hell, I've done that. Binges can be fun sometimes.

Although I'm still in therapy after devouring more than 2/3 of Homestuck in one weekend...

foolycoolyDK
joined Jun 8, 2013

@lucamarte - You really should watch the Yokohama Kadashi Kikou OVAs, especially the first 2. If you remember in the manga when Alfa goes to the hill overlooking the seashore as the lights of the old city now under water come on and illuminate the outline of the former shoreline. Well they animated that so beautifully that my jaw almost literally hit the floor. I started playing the lottery now even though I think its stupid, just so that if I win millions I can head over to Japan and pay them to animate more of the manga. :)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I thought there were only 2 YKK OVAs?

Yayoi
joined Jan 31, 2013

Leaving aside the obvious, I can't help but think that's sort of a shame. Simoun is one of those shows where it's best to watch one episode and give yourself time to think about it before going on. With shows like that, even if I have all of it available to me, I'd probably only watch one episode a day at most.

Still, I an understand your fascination. As I once wrote regarding it, "The hallmark of a truly captivating enigma is when you feel as though if you contemplated it just a little longer, a little harder, you could pierce the veil and gain some true insight into the heart of the mysteries. Simoun makes an art of creating this feeling."

yes I did xD I was sick in all fairness if your wondering "WTF." In my opinion Simoun one of those anime that I could watch over and over again and never get tired of it. In fact I have watch Simoun more then once because of the beautiful story line.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

I thought there were only 2 YKK OVAs?

There were two seperate OVA releases, one in 1998 and one in 2002-2003, each with two episodes apiece. Thus, four episodes in total.

last edited at Jun 8, 2013 10:16PM

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

thanks to all of you now i'm depressed...
i understand that i had lost a lot not seing anime, i was sure that if i read the manga i didn't need the anime, but now i think i was wrong.
but i like to read at work, and i can't watch anythings if i have to press pause one time every 5 seconds,

but now i want to see blue drop and ykk oav,
and simoun too, the manga i read don't fell anythings alike what you all tell about it

Another%20avatar
joined Apr 26, 2013

If you skip the OP and ED (which I do most of the time, especially when marathoning), you generally can fit just under 3 eps in an hour. So it's closer to 9-10 hours. I've done similar before

last edited at Jun 9, 2013 4:04AM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

I never, ever skip the OP and ED. They are sacred parts of the anime watching ritual. :P

and simoun too, the manga i read don't fell anythings alike what you all tell about it

That's because the Simoun anime is entirely different and much more in-depth from the short manga series on this reader. That's really almost just a teaser for the anime, though I dearly love it as well.

last edited at Jun 9, 2013 4:14AM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

how is mai hime?

God, don't read the Mai HiME manga. Watch the anime instead. The anime and the manga are like, two separate things.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

I came here for the JPG and it delivered

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

how is mai hime?

You may enjoy ICE. it is a short series of OVA's set in a dystopian future where men have died and only women are left. It appears to have a few mystery and supernatural themes as well.

joined Jul 20, 2011

Y'all got any more of them pixels?

Profile%20-%20copy
joined Aug 28, 2016

http://40.media.tumblr.com/cf9b42a40b59dbac664869d6f5a8ea00/tumblr_njydlmp5Nu1rsb97zo1_400.png

Hopefully so. I just typesetted this with higher quality (but smaller) raws.

last edited at Jul 21, 2017 10:11PM by Nezchan

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Replaced with the updated not-jpeg version by kah0922.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

I also found the author, it's Ayanero Taicho. Recognised parts of their current style from this, like the smirk faces, and found it on their old site. Here it is.

last edited at Jul 24, 2017 5:42AM

joined Feb 23, 2016

Naiicee

To reply you must either login or sign up.