Forum › A Lollipop or a Bullet discussion

joined Apr 29, 2014

EDIT: how do i spoilers?

Use == before and after the thing you want to spoiler. ==this is a spoiler== becomes this is a spoiler

I forgot to add actual commentary about the story :S
Tbh I was expecting a much sadder ending from all the foreshadowing, so the ending was sad but not as sad as I pictured.

last edited at Apr 30, 2014 2:49PM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

EDIT: how do i spoilers?

Use == before and after the thing you want to spoiler. ==this is a spoiler== becomes this is a spoiler

I forgot to add actual commentary about the story :S
Tbh I was expecting a much sadder ending from all the foreshadowing, so the ending was sad but not as sad as I pictured.

wth? she is chopped into pieces by her father in the end how is that not sad!?

joined Apr 29, 2014

Yeah it's definitely really sad but I was expecting the main girl, um, I forgot her name, but I was expecting her to get kidnapped by Umino's dad or something...
Also, is it just me or is that "riddle" really stupid and there's no way people have no idea what any answer might be! I mean I get that not everyone will think the "right" answer but people wouldn't have no idea! I think anyway...

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Yeah it's definitely really sad but I was expecting the main girl, um, I forgot her name, but I was expecting her to get kidnapped by Umino's dad or something...
Also, is it just me or is that "riddle" really stupid and there's no way people have no idea what any answer might be! I mean I get that not everyone will think the "right" answer but people wouldn't have no idea! I think anyway...

that's just as sad not more sad, also ryuk if you are listening please drop a deathnote outside my house, i need it a sec
tbh though apart from the payoff downer ending this really didn't have much point, no message, no reason, just a depressing story about a girl who was friends with someone with stockholm syndrome

joined Apr 29, 2014

that's just as sad not more sad, also ryuk if you are listening please drop a deathnote outside my house, i need it a sec
tbh though apart from the payoff downer ending this really didn't have much point, no message, no reason, just a depressing story about a girl who was friends with someone with stockholm syndrome

I meant the follow up as well of her getting kidnapped and also chopped into pieces but with more focus on being kidnapped. Kind of like Lying Mii-kun and Broken Maa-chan but without the happy ending.

Yeah I totally agree, its only purpose was to put a downer on your day. If Iqura Sugimoto hadn't drawn it I wouldn't have read it, I really liked Variante for its artistic appeal.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

I meant the follow up as well of her getting kidnapped and also chopped into pieces but with more focus on being kidnapped. Kind of like Lying Mii-kun and Broken Maa-chan but without the happy ending.

Yeah I totally agree, its only purpose was to put a downer on your day. If Iqura Sugimoto hadn't drawn it I wouldn't have read it, I really liked Variante for its artistic appeal.

oh, that would be even dumber
im ok with tragedy as long as it has a POINT, the only one this seemed to have is "stockholm syndrome sucks ass"

joined Apr 29, 2014

im ok with tragedy as long as it has a POINT, the only one this seemed to have is "stockholm syndrome sucks ass"

'Let's rub tragedy in your face so you'll buy this!' <--- is the main point I think. It definitely should have carried on or had some sort of resolution other than the announcement over the radio that the father is in jail and the teacher saying "screw it, be in the self-defense force, I've already cried in front of you, what do I care?"

It definitely feels unfinished but given the lack of interest maybe its a good thing it ended there rather than being put on hold for even longer.

Rsz_2315695_21e02231994373_1202648194_32078850_336588_n
joined May 22, 2013

this story fucked me up, I never expected any of this in the first few chapters

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

omg omg omg omg there's an update you don't know how much i love this manga i just need to know how it ends even though its got to be bad aaaaaaaaaaaa

lildevilinhell
Untitled-1
joined Jun 19, 2013

Hmmm? I actually always liked this story a lot. I always thought the main point of the story was

Children ultimately are chained to their family and have no actual freedom to resist until they become adults. Nagisa tries to fight with "bullets" against her situation and decides to go into the force because of her brother being a hikikomori in order to earn money instead of continuing her education. Mokuzu escapes from reality by using sugarcoating her situation with lies, her "candy bullets". In the end the meeting of these two resulted in them trying to change the paths that they were about to take, but in the end Mokuzu became into sea foam as predicted. In the end Mokuzu and Nagisa were helpless and could not change their situation as children.

Seemed more like a coming of age story if anything else. Albeit, with a darker , tragic tone.

last edited at Apr 30, 2014 5:56PM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Hmmm? I actually always liked this story a lot. I always thought the main point of the story was

Children ultimately are chained to their family and have no actual freedom to resist until they become adults. Nagisa tries to fight with "bullets" against her situation and decides to go into the force because of her brother being a hikikomori in order to earn money instead of continuing her education. Mokuzu escapes from reality by using sugarcoating her situation with lies, her "candy bullets". In the end the meeting of these two resulted in them trying to change the paths that they were about to take, but in the end Mokuzu became into sea foam as predicted. In the end Mokuzu and Nagisa were helpless and could not change their situation as children.

Seemed more like a coming of age story if anything else. Albeit, with a darker , tragic tone.

except that isn't true, children have, if anything more freedom to resist and change than adults do, children are the future for a reason, ugh if that was the message i hate this even more because the message was dumb

Sharingan Demon
1966667_1409873872598402_668625590_n
joined Mar 26, 2014

You guys are gonna be in for A LOT of feels,I read this manga,It made me cry,And trust me when I say,I do NOT cry.

942301_10151455987491840_2065344422_n
joined Aug 26, 2011

Just read the rest of this on mangapanda. BOY, Jesus I did not expect that ending.

To hell with happy ending that was full of despair oh that worthless of a father how could he do that.

worthless? more like evil, shit like this is why i sympathized with light until he killed the guy he thought was L and became a SK of his own

Yeah I agree on you with that one, I thought there was gonna be a happy ending and all but shit it didn't even happen I was expecting for so much then that asshole of a father had to kill his only daughter.

last edited at Dec 14, 2014 2:19PM

Ghost in the Shell
Gits_avatar_klein
joined Jul 30, 2013

except that isn't true, children have, if anything more freedom to resist and change than adults do, children are the future for a reason, ugh if that was the message i hate this even more because the message was dumb

You think so? I'd rather say that's depending on your point of view.
I admit I feel a little sad this story gets so much flag, because I rather liked it (of course it gave me a terrible feeling, too, but I still think it's a good story). So please don't feel offended if I try to defend it.

Also, on a side note, the spoiler tags are a little late, as the ending was pretty much summed up (being a downer, I mean). I'll use them anyways for those people not reading the entire thread. :)

Yes, the story is sad and depressing and yes, ultimately Mokuzu's try to change her life for the better failed in the end. That doesn't mean the story has a dumb or wrong message, imo. For once, I believe it has an important critique on society, or rather the adults in the story. The teacher, when breaking down in the end, says he wanted to try to protect the girl, but was unable to do something because the law and Mokuzu's claim her dad was a good guy prohibited it. For me, that's a pretty lame excuse. Nagisa's brother, on the other hand also had something he "couldn't do", i.e. leaving the house. But when his sister really needed him, he overcame that and helped her. He was too late for Mokuzu, granted, but I dare say that for Nagisa it would have been even worse if she hadn't gotten help from somewhere. Another part of this story's "message" is what Nagisa learned. From the start, she more or less despised adults and thought she knew it all even though being a child. She thought to have understood the cruel world and that she had to do everything on her own, despite being a child. In the end, she understood that she may not be totally independent from other people. That doesn't even have to do much with being a child or not, I see it more as a general thing. If, for whatever reason, you can't take things on, ask for help. She did, with her brother, and he listened.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that Mokuzu had a horrible life and died. That's the tragedy here. To me, that only emphasizes the meaning of the whole story. Saying it's point os moot just because it is so sad doesn't do it justice, imo.

Sorry for the long post, btw. :)

My_dork__by_vnixxir-d72u531
joined Jun 21, 2013

O.O an update....holy shit YAY! I always came back to this story just to read it because it's like a train wreck. Things just keep getting worse, but you have to keep watching to see what happens at the end (except it wasn't being updated and that made me sad). I really wish this story has a happy ending, but as they say 'it is what it is' and this tragic as fuck.
Edit: This story reminds me of Concrete Angel....DEAR LORD THE FEELS...

last edited at May 6, 2014 12:57PM

joined Oct 16, 2014

As soon as she said mermaid i flipped shit

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nez Note: Time to start editing in the spoiler tags...

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Just finished this. I don't even know what to say. I'm not crying, but somewhere inbetween there. Just... One should not spend their night reading this alone in one go. The feels are too much.

Masterpiece.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

I can't believe I had not read this yet. I'm really enjoying this...
Also: this manga definitely has one of the best titles ever.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Finally finish'd it. I like how unprepared I was for the ending... I mean, it had that uneasiness since the start, but I liked how it escalated throughout. Feels like a train just hit my chest. HURTS SO GOOD

Solid%20ice%20heart%203-29-15
joined Mar 30, 2015

Masterpiece. This work is so expressive when it comes to Mokuzu's rough situation and how she and Nagisa take it in. The ongoing air of mystery enhances the anticipation throughout. Although tragic, the final ending runs in line with how these events would realistically unfold.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I stumbled upon this...gonna read but not now,i suspect i'll get sad and have weird dreams

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

..That was horrible. Awesome story telling..the feels...the brother was my favourite character.
Still,left me feeling very bad,so +1 ,cos most stories just go by, leaving nothing.
Now i'm gonna hop on Himouto to ease my heart
D:

I did like that there was no Deus ex machina, in most stories, something happens and everything is just fine.
But this one is realistic.

last edited at Aug 26, 2015 10:52AM

Optimized-tonari_no_robot
joined Aug 24, 2015

I can't quite make up my mind whether this was a well executed story or not. All of the plot devices were adequately executed, the foreshadowing properly came to fruition, and the characters were developed well enough. But. Something still feels lacking. It might be that it was simply too cliche? Like the author was going through the motions of writing a tragedy piece. Nothing was very surprising and the emotional pay-off - that cathartic heart-dropping feeling we all look for in sad stories - just wasn't there. Okay, it was almost there. There were a few instances that were truly interesting and emotionally gripping i.e. when mokuzu attacks kanajima, and when nagisa's brother finally left the house to help her search for mokuzu's body. But overall, the fallout from the event at the end just seemed slightly underdeveloped. Missing something. Maybe if the "bullets" metaphor had made more sense then it would have been enough for me to be satisfied with the story. But from the very beginning it felt very forced and out of place in the school life setting. Its quite possible that its intricacies of meaning were lost in translation and if so maybe I would change my opinion of this story. But as it stands, the story reads more like a tragedy for tragedy's sake narrative rather than a story that fully utilizes tragedy to catalyze character development and more-than-surface-level emotional responses.

last edited at Nov 2, 2015 2:16AM

joined Jul 28, 2015

i just came across this manga series a few hours ago, this is beautiful. A bit incomprehensible to me though. Might as well read it again to understand it fully.
But, this has been bothering me for a while now, who killed the rabbits?

To reply you must either login or sign up.