Forum › Suggestions for Improvement V3

joined Aug 16, 2015

Hi! Just passing by to ask if this is normal. Been having those kinds of problems with IRC for a while. Well, not like I'm very active nowadays anyway...

Well obviously an error isn't normal by definition. I can't get it to load either, though.

Huh, I guess I'll wait until it's fixed, then. Good to know it's not just me.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Hi! Just passing by to ask if this is normal. Been having those kinds of problems with IRC for a while. Well, not like I'm very active nowadays anyway...

Well obviously an error isn't normal by definition. I can't get it to load either, though.

I mentioned it to Omn, we'll see if he's able to do anything about it.

joined Aug 16, 2015

I mentioned it to Omn, we'll see if he's able to do anything about it.

Alright! Thanks, Nezchan.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

strange babies ch 2, pg 64 has an error, was fixed http://safe.yuriproject.net/src/strange_babys_ch02_064.png

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

strange babies ch 2, pg 64 has an error, was fixed http://safe.yuriproject.net/src/strange_babys_ch02_064.png

EvilDevil, I really don't think this thread is the right place for these announcements. How about you just create a new topic for that?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

DrMario posted:

EvilDevil, I really don't think this thread is the right place for these announcements. How about you just create a new topic for that?

I'm fairly sure Drpepperfan or one of the other staff mentioned a page or two ago that it'd be better to just make a new upload request for the page updates.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

DrMario posted:

I'm fairly sure Drpepperfan or one of the other staff mentioned a page or two ago that it'd be better to just make a new upload request for the page updates.

Ah, but I remember that someone also expressed interest in knowing those changes, and drp was like ight then

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 9:01PM

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

DrMario posted:

Ah, but I remember that someone also expressed interest in knowing those changes, and drp was like ight then

I did say that yeah, as if someone out there actually found it useful, I thought it might be worth it.

Having said that however, it does clog this thread up with requests that are made in various other places, which is a problem when actually trying to look for suggestions and bugs that haven't been implemented. I think DrMarios idea of a thread where EvilDevil and others can point out updates is a better idea.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011
drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

NicoMaki Manga by Drill error in pg 2 was fixed
http://zoquatre.tumblr.com/post/151967336545/nicomaki-manga-ichinoya-formerly-drill

Like was said above, please don't post these here anymore. If you want to make it more public, have a separate thread for it EvilDevil.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Can we have a separate, pinned post for edits/corrections brought to chapters?
It'd be easier to keep track for sure

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

NicoMaki Manga by Drill error in pg 2 was fixed
http://zoquatre.tumblr.com/post/151967336545/nicomaki-manga-ichinoya-formerly-drill

Like was said above, please don't post these here anymore. If you want to make it more public, have a separate thread for it EvilDevil.

I'm beginning to think EvilDevil isn't actually reading the thread.

Suggestion:
Resized images often look pretty bad on this reader. Take for instance this page:
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/secret_honeys_absolute_territory
When you resize this image, ugly Moire patterns start to appear (especially in the black hair, but it depends on the resolution you're using). This is caused by poor resampling. If you download the image and open it in a (decent) image viewer, the quality will be much better.
Of course, having no webdev experience, I can only offer limited input on what to do about it. If this were an app I was writing I would simply implement a better algorithm, but CSS doesn't seem to have good options for this. What one could do is store all images in multiple resolutions and display a version that is close to the desired one. Then any artifacts caused by poor sampling algorithms would be decreased in visibility (I think). It should also save bandwidth, especially on mobile.

Edit: A visual example of what I mean. Both images are downsized to ~56% but as you can see, IrfanView does a much better job.

last edited at Oct 20, 2016 8:36PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

DrMario posted:

Suggestion:
Resized images often look pretty bad on this page. Take for instance this page:
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/secret_honeys_absolute_territory
When you resize this page, ugly Moire patterns start to appear (especially in the black hair, but it depends on the resolution you're using). This is caused by poor resampling. If you download the page and open it in a (decent) image viewer, the quality will be much better.
Of course, having no webdev experience, I can only offer limited input on what to do about it. If this were an app I was writing I would simply implement a better algorithm, but CSS doesn't seem to have good options for this, apparently. What one could do is store all images in several resolutions and display a version that is close to the desired one. Then any artifacts caused by poor sampling algorithms would be decreased in visibility (I think). It should also save bandwidth, especially on mobile.

CSS is less limited than it used to be but it's still very limited in terms of resampling. Even now the only real options are point rescaling or the default. It'd technically be possible if the pages were an image drawn on a canvas instead but that'd be a lot of work to implement.

And since I'm not directly involved on the site myself this is purely speaking from my own personal experiences with hosting websites but a lot of hosts give you a disk space quota. If they have to worry about something like that then multiple sizes wouldn't really be viable.

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

I've since found out that this effect is highly dependent on the browser. Firefox doesn't have any such problems, but Edge does.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

I do think it'd be a good thing for general performance to somehow limit the resolution or the size of the picture (size being usually related to resolution). For example, currently reading Owari Hajimeta Sekai no Hate ni, it takes at best half a minute to load a page and when checking the informations, I get this :

2,100px × 3,000px (redimensionné à 840px × 1,200px)
2,836.29 Ko (2,904,357 octets)

Almost 3 mo, no wonder it takes a bit of time to get the picture. Not everybody have lightning fast connexion, unfortunately (especially when having a download on the side). And the resolution is just overkill, especially when it's downsized to more than half afterward. The CSS resizing is pretty much just "zooming out" the picture, so it still download that huge file (for an image).

Making sure files are at a decent resolution to cut down file size would improve the reader in many ways along with saving disk space, unless you do have plan to actually use those massive resolutions.

last edited at Oct 31, 2016 3:48AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Chantelune posted:

Making sure files are at a decent resolution to cut down file size would improve the reader in many ways along with saving disk space, unless you do have plan to actually use those massive resolutions.

Not everyone has a tiny monitor. While 3000px height seems overkill you can look back at older series for a good example of why having higher resolutions available even if they seem overkill is a better option. There's quite a few older series here that are so microscopic on my monitor (which is only 1440px tall) that I have to zoom in on the site (or make use of my Thingifier's magnifier) in order to actually make out what they say.

The only real option would be to have the site use two different versions of each image but most server hosts give a limited amount of disk space which, for a site such as Dynasty, is actually a fairly big concern.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Depends what you consider tiny. And I'm not talking about reducing them too much, but to try and find a balance between resolution and file size in order to keep a decent image size while having a lighter file that'll load faster.

If you systematically need to size down picture through the css, then it's usually better to simply resize the files themselves.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

Riko & Haru & Irukawa Hot Springs ch17
https://yuriproject.net/riko-haru-irukawa-hot-springs-ch17/?PageSpeed=noscript error on pg 3 fixed

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Chantelune posted:

Depends what you consider tiny. And I'm not talking about reducing them too much, but to try and find a balance between resolution and file size in order to keep a decent image size while having a lighter file that'll load faster.

If you systematically need to size down picture through the css, then it's usually better to simply resize the files themselves.

That'd still require one of two things. That scanlators release both their standard version in addition to a resized version or Dynasty's servers resize the image which would increase server resource usage. The first is a pretty unreasonable demand to make of scanlators and the second runs into the same issue I pointed out earlier with server resource usage.

EvilDevil posted:

Riko & Haru & Irukawa Hot Springs ch17
https://yuriproject.net/riko-haru-irukawa-hot-springs-ch17/?PageSpeed=noscript error on pg 3 fixed

Do you actually even bother reading this thread or do you just post without even reading a thing? Cause you've had a bunch of people including staff members post in reply to your fixed page posts but you haven't so much as even acknowledged them, let alone actually addressed them.

last edited at Nov 1, 2016 10:10AM

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

Ruby-chan wa Maru no Mono zura! error in pg 15, fixed https://exhentai.org/g/992217/7d25e1db58/

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Well that answered that question. You couldn't even see the person quoting you literally right above your post.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

Well that answered that question. You couldn't even see the person quoting you literally right above your post.
sorry, I didnt notice

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Alice Cheshire posted:

To be fair majority of people don't bother to read any previous comments.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

EvilDevil posted:

sorry, I didnt notice

People have been occasionally addressing posts to you here for like a month or so.

Nevri posted:

That's not really being fair though. It's common sense to actually read threads you're posting in.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Alice Cheshire posted:

Nevri posted:

That's not really being fair though. It's common sense to actually read threads you're posting in.

I agree and even if not entire thread when there is a lot posts, at least checking some of the most recent ones. Still it is a fact there is a lot people who don't even do that much. So it isn't as common sense as it seems.

To reply you must either login or sign up.