Forum › Posts by Labhubhul

Labhubhul
joined Aug 16, 2015

I have to apologize for the terrible job I did editing and typesetting this chapter.

Like what was mentioned, the fault isn't all in the editing.
But if you want a few tips on the typesetting side of things, to make it an altogether better experience for the reader:
- Don't play with the font width (makes it harder to read, reduces the font quality), keep it to the normal ratio and be consistent with it;
- Be consistent with font size, don't change it every bubble just for the sake of filling up white space;
- Use different fonts for yells, SFX, titles, etc. (e.g. page 34).

Then again, the main issue I'm seeing here - and what has been mentioned by multiple people - is how horrendously verbose the translation is. One that caught me the most was page 31, second to last frame, third bubble, where you could have kept it to "She's off today, I'm the one on shift."
Try to make it less literal, get the meaning across while keeping it natural. You don't need to write a novel for each bubble.

last edited at Aug 31, 2020 11:12PM

Labhubhul
joined Aug 16, 2015

Well this is next level bad translation wise, to a point where you can't even understand the story.
I'll never understand why someone would want to translate something from a language they clearly can't understand to one they don't master enough to formulate sentences that make sense.

We need better standards than "This is better than nothing"; seeing pictures is nice, but it ruins the story to have text pulled from Google translate pasted in each bubble without any correction whatsoever. I'd rather read the original at this point.

Labhubhul
Alter Suite discussion 07 May 04:56
joined Aug 16, 2015

I don't think basing yourself entirely on the source material to decide whether a pairing in a doujin is good or bad is the right way to go about it; we wouldn't have many doujins in the first place if we were abiding by that rule.
I think it's mostly up to how the author interprets that pairing and what they make out of it, which can then be either good or bad.

Also, basically everyone is bi in FGO, so that opens a lot of doors when it comes to doujins. And there's actually a lot of Fate yuri doujins out there, even if they're not on the site, there's just not a lot of people working on them :|

Labhubhul
Alter Suite discussion 06 May 01:07
joined Aug 16, 2015

Yeah, I really wanted to fix it, but she says it like that in official material, so decided to leave it as it is.

Labhubhul
OL x Gyaru discussion 04 May 23:11
joined Aug 16, 2015

Just passing to mention that this author actually drew a full doujin of this pairing for the next Comitia.

Labhubhul
joined Aug 16, 2015

Rereading this after a few years, this is seriously the best Touhou thing I've read out of everything on the site.
It's a very long read, but I'd recommend it to anyone who has the time and loves Touhou stuff. Worth the few hours.

joined Aug 16, 2015

It's fairly recent, so can't tell for sure if the author is planning to make more or not for now.

Labhubhul
joined Aug 16, 2015

Good.

Labhubhul
Image Comments 29 Sep 20:41
joined Aug 16, 2015
Irohayachiyo

They're from the new(ish) Madoka mobile game if anyone is wondering. It's called Magia Record.

joined Aug 16, 2015

10/10

Labhubhul
Image Comments 27 Aug 03:47
joined Aug 16, 2015
Hajimeyun

lol oops

joined Aug 16, 2015

The main issue here is that the scanlators did not ask for permission first before scanlating. It was free, it was on pixiv, it was on twitter. How HARD was it to tell the author that you'd like to translate it to English and spread it to a wider audience? You know Japanese, you translate from Japanese, you should've known to do that. It's common courtesy. Stop defending your rudeness and apologize to the artist.

What's not to understand? Imagine you made something in English and you're very proud of it, and then all of a sudden you see it being translated in Japanese without your permission. You'd be happy you get Japanese exposure, but where do the credits go? To the scanlators and not to the author, because the audience does not understand the source language. In the end they appreciate 'the work' and not 'the author' Still doesn't make sense? Try checking your morals, maybe there's something wrong there.

If it makes you feel better, we actually did apologize to the author quite a few times and felt very bad about the whole thing.
And I see your point on the permission asking and all that, but I fail to see how the credits all went to the scanlators and not to the author; we never even tried to pretend that the work was ours and did credit properly, so I really don't see your point.

joined Aug 16, 2015
joined Aug 16, 2015

Update: We sent a message to the author asking for permission to keep scanlating Model-chan and got an answer just now. Sadly, the author was very against it and told us to stop what we were doing.
Sorry for everyone who enjoyed the series, but we're going to respect the author's wishes and take down everything indefinitely in the end.
Here's the series on pixiv if anyone wants to try to read it later: https://www.pixiv.net/user/2408277/series/7714

joined Aug 16, 2015

Alright, just a little PSA : The author did NOT ask anyone to take anything down, they're simply asking people to come to them for permission first before doing translations or other such modifications to their work.
We're just taking down the chapters temporarily (or maybe indefinitely) until we're done talking with the author about the matter.

Labhubhul
joined Aug 16, 2015

Hi! Just passing by to ask if this is normal. Been having those kinds of problems with IRC for a while. Well, not like I'm very active nowadays anyway...

Well obviously an error isn't normal by definition. I can't get it to load either, though.

Huh, I guess I'll wait until it's fixed, then. Good to know it's not just me.

I mentioned it to Omn, we'll see if he's able to do anything about it.

Alright! Thanks, Nezchan.

Labhubhul
joined Aug 16, 2015

Hi! Just passing by to ask if this is normal. Been having those kinds of problems with IRC for a while. Well, not like I'm very active nowadays anyway...

Well obviously an error isn't normal by definition. I can't get it to load either, though.

Huh, I guess I'll wait until it's fixed, then. Good to know it's not just me.

Labhubhul
joined Aug 16, 2015

Labhubhul
Looking for manga 08 Aug 20:50
joined Aug 16, 2015

No problem.²

Labhubhul
Looking for manga 08 Aug 03:08
joined Aug 16, 2015

No problem.

Labhubhul
Looking for manga 08 Aug 02:33
joined Aug 16, 2015

I believe it's this one. vvvvvv
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/im_a_fool#1

joined Aug 16, 2015

^He's talking about his new cell phone. Yeah.

last edited at Jun 22, 2016 11:12PM

Labhubhul
joined Aug 16, 2015

Also, SiF players, they put a few songs on the b-side selection for a limited time.

Yup, and you can also buy the members in the sticker shop.

last edited at Jun 5, 2016 12:09PM