Forum › Suggestions for Improvement V3

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

I don't actually know what's frequently asked anymore, so no FAQ in here!

We're usually contactable on the IRC at #dynasty-scans @ irc.rizon.net. We talk about dumb things.

This is currently stickied, but why not put it here anyway: http://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/5657-forum-post-formatting-basic-markdown-tutorial

last edited at Nov 23, 2014 4:29PM

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Digging up a bit from the last thread:

Did a NSFW tag suggestion on Saki's newest chapter. Not sure if it went through or not, but this is what was returned.

Also flaws with spoilers spoiling stuff.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

How 2 markdown is frequently asked, put how 2 markdown there.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Disclaimer

This is just a compilation of suggestions made in previous thread. There are many suggestions here that I personally don't support, so please don't treat them all as my own. Also, sorry if I missed some.

Suggestions

Bugs

• Firefox Scaling Bug

A long-time bug, known for about a year. Most wide pages don't downscale correctly, example. Bug exists with Firefox browser only (Chrome and Opera are fine).

• Profile page says I can only have 5 items, but it's actually 4

General

• Changing the background color
  • Adding a calendar application to the site
  • New "item type" - Comic

Right now we have two major "items" on the reader - Chapter and Image. Comics as "item" should be different from both of them

Forum

• Forum search

"Is going to be implemented" according to staff

• Underlining (aka <u>)

• Direct links to a specific post

• Proper ASCII/SJIS support ( tags)

• Add a link to your own forum posts somewhere in profile

So that you don't have to remember where you posted last time to click on the link under your name

• View what discussions you are taking part in

• Subscription on a forum topic

• Subforum/subforums for discussing stuff other than the reader content

• Message (PM) system

• Forum moderation request aka report

• Links are slightly noticeable through spoiler

• Separate the discussions of series into chapter discussions or add separate chapter discussion for series (anthologies already have that)

• Show spoilers on click, not on mouseover

• Some kind of spoler-marking for the whole posts, rather than for parts of the text

Spoiler Post would be "collapsed" by default, with a button to expand it. Maybe an option when you write it, or maybe just apply it to any post with spoilers in text.

• Separate "Spoiler discussion" threads for series. Near to "discuss this", add "discuss spoilers".

Reader

• Consolidation of recently uploaded series chapters into a single segment (toggleable?) to prevent other recently uploaded chapters from getting shoved out of view.

"Currently on the Table" according to staff

• New category - something like "Continuity" or "Storyline".

For the mangas that are technically part of same story, but aren't grouped in a series volume or anthology. Two-three shots and stuff like that.

• Would be nice to sort at least by name/date.

Right now, when you're on tag's page, groupings are sorted by name, but one-shots by date.

• Navigation to series page directly from "Recent"

• Maybe the re-uploads should be marked in some way in Recently Added?

• Global-time 'Most Popular' List

• Maybe introduce a new "Original language version" link.

• Could we have a button or link that would display a list of approximately 10 random series/oneshots

• Escape key to exit full screen mode

• "Download to cache" option for chapters for quick reading.

Counts towards daily download limit

• Download manager protection - users need to wait 30 seconds before downloading another chapter.

Reason - many people have no idea that they're actually using download managers.

• A way to keep track of which doujins/manga/chapters one has downloaded

• Comments on individual images in a manga

• Will it be feasible to automatically tag a series on the "Read" list once all the chapters has been tagged with "Read"?

• Add ability when reading a chapter from a reading list for "Next Chapter" to go to the next in the list, rather than the next in the category.

• Multiple Scanlator Support (for example, like Batoto)

• Black/whitelisting scanlators, authors

• Chosing page number when there are many pages (ex. Romance page 40)

also applies to forum

• when you click on the available "Yuri" tag/category, bring up these 4 categories, "Non-doujin one-shots", "Doujin one-shots", "Non-doujin series" and "Doujin series", before needling down to the actual chapter/title groupings.

• maybe a subscribe button to author will be great just like those in asianfanfics.

• Mobile version has a lot of issues - reading lists, no page numbers

Tags

• Ability to tag individual pages
  • How about adding Tags to Upload Request, as extra optional field?
  • Can we have a "source link / release post" textbox in the tags suggestion page?
  • Tag inheritance (example: this search should be empty)
  • A way for users to suggest tags
  • Personal tags
  • Somehow tagging guest artists that do a page or two in a doujin
  • Hide/Show Tags option. Maybe as button, or maybe added to profile.

The reason for that, some tags can be pretty big spoilers by themselves.

• add a "sort by tags" option to our list

• There should be some way to tag non-doujin, but related manga with the core "series".

there was some discussion about this one, couldn't find a good solution so stuff like that is just added to main page of series. However, it means there's no way to search for it.

Search

• Sorting search results by name / date / views / etc
  • More obvious entrance point into Search Page. Enter in empty text field is not that obvious, at least add mouse button.
  • Status tags don't show until you write them completely - other tags will be suggested when you write start of word, but not status ones
  • Search individual characters instead of pairings in search
  • How to search for non-doujin works? Excluding every single doujin is really bad solution...
  • How to search for works that are not part of any series? Anthology: Oneshots doesn't include one-shots that are part of other anthologies. Or standalone doujins.
  • How to search for Chapter that is not part of any Series, but is a part of any Anthology?

Images

• Gallery Mode for images

Basically a way to view many images without having to go back and forth after each one or opening many tabs

• Upload interface specifically for image uploads

• How about we have two sections for images: the uploaded pics (the one we currently have) and a 'pending' section.

• Hide thumbnails for NSFW-tagged images (Toggleable?)

replace with icon that reads NSFW

• Black/Whitelisting for images

• For images with multiple pages (i.e. A Comic) only preview the first image of the comic and all the other pages of it are "hidden" from the images section

• It would be great with the ability to subscribe to tags in the image section(atleast "Doujin" and "Pairing" tags").

• Danbooru-esque pools

Extra

Requests from uploaders

• Ability to replace existing image(s). Every once in a while there's a translation error, artist re-upload (for better quality), or something similar; would be nice to fix this the same way we can for individual chapters.

Declined suggestions:

• "Characters" list for doujins.
  • Ratings
  • Upload request history (reason: external website)

last edited at Nov 24, 2014 2:55AM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

There we go.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Suggestion: Official recognition that Thiron is awesome.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

There we go.

Thanks! Saved me a billion hours of work. A few of these can be easily dispelled, so maybe I'll get on that soon.

But you're official, so you just did!

last edited at Nov 23, 2014 7:22PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

But you're official, so you just did!

You win this round...

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014
  • Firefox Scaling Bug

A long-time bug, known for about a year. Most wide pages don't downscale correctly, example. Bug exists with Firefox browser only (Chrome and Opera are fine).

What exactly is this bug? I didn't have any downscaling issues on that page. Is it the one I've had on other really wide pages like that where even when it's downscaled it goes off the side of the screen?

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

I still think a stickied thread for scanlator discussions and recruiting would be useful. It probably came up in one of the mod threads before, but presumably that thread would need to be public if it was going to be useful for recruiting (or unless you wanted highly restricted recruiting).

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013
  • Firefox Scaling Bug

What exactly is this bug? I didn't have any downscaling issues on that page. Is it the one I've had on other really wide pages like that where even when it's downscaled it goes off the side of the screen?

Yes, this is how it looks for me.
It's fine for you? Interesting, wonder why it's different.

last edited at Nov 24, 2014 5:14AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Oh, what resolution is your monitor? It might be a matter of my monitor being a big enough resolution to avoid the same issue. (2560x1440)

As an alternative in the mean time though, if you use Stylish you could use this to fix the width: #image img { max-width: ####px !important; }
It will affect the image size regardless of whether you have it expanded or not though. And just put whatever number best fits your browsing resolution into the #### there. (Or alternatively replace ####px with ##% if you are worried about resizing your window.)

last edited at Nov 24, 2014 10:37AM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Oh, what resolution is your monitor? It might be a matter of my monitor being a big enough resolution to avoid the same issue. (2560x1440)

Yeah that's most likely reason, I have 1980x

last edited at Nov 24, 2014 6:09PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Suggestion: Add Manhua and Manhwa tags so we're prepared just in case we get more Chinese or Korean yuri along the lines of Their Story. We might only need them rarely, but it's nice to be prepared.

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Suggestion: Add Manhua and Manhwa tags so we're prepared just in case we get more Chinese or Korean yuri along the lines of Their Story. We might only need them rarely, but it's nice to be prepared.

Why not tag explicitly by language of origin, then? Those words are just the Chinese and Korean readings of Manga, and we already get English language comics (I think?).

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Why not tag explicitly by language of origin, then? Those words are just the Chinese and Korean readings of Manga, and we already get English language comics (I think?).

Well, it comes to the same thing just with different words in the tags. You could go by Country, or what they call the medium, or language, whatever you prefer. I'm more interested in having tags for that distinction which people might like to search by down the road.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I think having Filthy nida comic kekekekekeke as the tag would work best.

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

How have Rakuen web extras been getting tagged? Have they been tagged? Should they be grouped with their related volume, or dumped in a massive "Rakuen Web Extras" collection, or...?

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

How have Rakuen web extras been getting tagged? Have they been tagged? Should they be grouped with their related volume, or dumped in a massive "Rakuen Web Extras" collection, or...?

I'm guessing the extra's are all parts of series right? Web Extra published chapters of series don't have a issue tag or anything, just add them as part of the series and that's it.

If they published some original stuff in the Web Extras tho, we would need to make a collection for it.

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

If they published some original stuff in the Web Extras tho, we would need to make a collection for it.

These two would fall under that category:
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/tragic_love_movie
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/irrational_us

HaxtonFale Uploader
Anna_avatar_320
BunnyScans
joined Jul 28, 2011

So I said something about it on the IRC last night, and said that I will make a proper suggestion, so there it is:

Spoiler category for tags

There's a solution tested on VNDB (and for some bizarre reason nowhere else) that simply adds one extra property to a tag assignment, namely "spoiler level" with three settings: no spoiler, minor spoiler, all-out.

There's a certain, semi-recent anime (NSFW) that might justify categorizing tag assignments as spoiling or not, or so I hope. It is no secret to anyone who has seen KILL la KILL that MATOI RYUUKO and KIRYUUIN SATSUKI are sisters, and therefore there will be those who look for works with them treating their relationship as incestuous, as well as insist on appropriate tags... while on the other hand, one could try to be just a little bit more considerate towards those who haven't seen it, and would rather not be spoiled (no, six months' grace period is far from enough - not like hiding your spoilers will hurt anyone anyway). And as a result, in a perfect system, both would be able to find whatever works they were looking for without being spoiled just from reading the tags. Which is, AFAIK, what VNDB has managed to achieve.

tag yo' tags

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Spoiler category for tags

Ah right, I remember this was actually suggested in previous topic too, I guess I missed it.
I'm all for it, just not sure how it could work in context of this reader.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

You'd probably have to redo the tags system altogether. Might be a lot of work if everything needs to be re-tagged. I would imagine a user might have a global setting as to what level of spoilers they want, rather than story-by-story?

HaxtonFale Uploader
Anna_avatar_320
BunnyScans
joined Jul 28, 2011

Depending on how the innards are structured, I can see this being done without erasing the whole tagging record (which could be exported and reimported anyway, even if using a one-off tool). All entries would simply default to "no spoiler".

As for search, I think a global setting would work best with potential exceptions, but that would be up to whoever would write this in. It's all doable, and the only question would be about complexity of both execution and storage...

I'm all for it, just not sure how it could work in context of this reader.

I'm not sure there are that many examples, but I heard from some mods over at IRC (so take this with a grain of salt, perhaps?) that there are people pushing for tagging Ryuuko x Satsuki (or vice versa) as incest pretty much just for the sake of it.

In hindsight, KILL la KILL seems like the main reason I'm revisiting this idea, seeing as there's a similar issue on Danbooru - what kind of picture qualifies to tag those two together as sisters, and therefore as spoilers? It is solved (for the most part) by giving a chance to hide potentially spoiling tags themselves.

last edited at Nov 26, 2014 4:45PM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Well, if we're taking spoiler tags seriously, half of Tragedy-tagged works would have it spoilered.

To reply you must either login or sign up.