Forum › Suggestions for Improvement V3

Maco%20v0.1%20320px%20opt
joined Apr 2, 2011

Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu ch40 should be listed under volume 4, not 3.

Source: Release post on doki.co.

joined Jan 29, 2017

My google fu failed me searching for a RSS feed of "Recently Added", so I created a feed https://serval.gitlab.io/feeds/dynasty.xml, is updated hourly. I hope someone can find it helpful.

EDIT: There is multiple available RSS feeds. See bellow.

last edited at Mar 5, 2017 8:13AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

samsa posted:

My google fu failed me searching for a RSS feed of "Recently Added", so I created a feed https://serval.gitlab.io/feeds/dynasty.xml, is updated hourly. I hope someone can find it helpful.

There's multiple available RSS feeds.

Recently Released
Recently Added
And then there's one other that depends on a user-specific token which returns a listing of the most recently released chapters of things you're subscribed to. I don't know how to go about it on Chrome but on Firefox you can view all available feeds on a page if you right click->view page info then click the feeds tab.

joined Jan 29, 2017

Alice Cheshire posted:

There's multiple available RSS feeds.
[...]
I don't know how to go about it on Chrome but on Firefox you can view all available feeds on a page if you right click->view page info then click the feeds tab.

OMG. I do not know why I did not look there in the first place, embarrassing. Thanks a lot for telling me.

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Is it possible to have another resizing option for webtoons? I believe the current resizing option is to whatever the original scanlators have it, and then the standard 1200px height. Some webtoons have very long panels/long width which makes this current resizing option illegible. I think a resize by width would be useful too for a better reading experience. 750px would be a good width I think.

Img_8470
joined Sep 6, 2016

Sorry if this was already asked or silly to suggest, but the option to blacklist more than 5 things could be cool.

joined Apr 11, 2014

Is there a search function for the forum? I wanted to see if anyone brought the following points before posting but oh well:
1) I think I saw a mention of an app for Dynasty scans a while ago but it was either for a really old Android version and abandoned or there was some sort of legal issue so development stopped?
Are there any plans on bring that back, not necessarily via any of the official app distributes?
2) Auto conversion of files from any scale to a standard one (going back to the point mentioned in the first page). I think the auto scaling feature only works on the client side, but can it be implemented while it is submitted in order to make all pages of the same scale?
This might not be practical at all times given the various formats that manga can appear in, so feel free to chalk that off if it was considered.

last edited at Mar 19, 2017 10:54PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

There's no forum search no, but if you do a site search (Google does it, not sure how it works on other engines) on the forum URL it works.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

Agreed that a forum search would be a good plus to Dynasty, would avoid people to make several threads for the same subject.

Also, it would be cool to be able to use .gif as profile picture, and maybe to allow users to have a signature. I have no idea if it's easy to implement though, coding has always been a mystery to me.

joined Apr 2, 2011

GIFs as profile pictures

Wouldn't allowing GIFs open the can of worms that is animated GIFs? Those are super annoying. GIFs also have larger file size than the same image in JPEG.

Signatures

I like the clean look of the discussions. Everything in the thread (apart from the user data on the left) is either dates or posts. Signatures would add clutter - I believe people usually skip reading them anyways. The only practical use for a signature I can see on this site is to declare what scanlation group you belong to and what your role in it is. Maybe only allow signatures for those people, and only for that use? EDIT: Nevermind, just checked and realized that registered scanlator group representatives already have the group listed in their user info on the left. This means there is absolutely no use for a signature.

If signatures are implemented, I propose to only accept plain text (so they don't grab your attention with large or coloured text or images), limit the length, and render them in small and/or grey text below a horizontal line.

Allowing any kind of advertising - even scanlator group recruitment - in a signature would only guarantee the person's posts would always be off-topic (except in the recruitment thread).

last edited at Mar 20, 2017 11:04AM

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked and realized that registered scanlator group representatives already have the group listed in their user info on the left. This means there is absolutely no use for a signature.

We do?!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Great, that was supposed to be a secret from Ropp.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

maco posted:

GIFs as profile pictures

Wouldn't allowing GIFs open the can of worms that is animated GIFs? Those are super annoying. GIFs also have larger file size than the same image in JPEG.

Gif is fairly unnecessary but allowing pngs would be a nice decision since jpegs don't allow transparency. (Also in many cases pngs have a smaller filesize than jpegs anyways.)

last edited at Mar 20, 2017 4:05PM

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

Too bad I'll never be able to use this as an avi

last edited at Mar 20, 2017 4:14PM

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

1) I think I saw a mention of an app for Dynasty scans a while ago but it was either for a really old Android version and abandoned or there was some sort of legal issue so development stopped?

Doubt the old one is ever coming back, but you can use the unofficial Android reader. It's not actively developed but does work and critical bugs will be fixed if reported.

http://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/7480-oneesama-a-simple-dynasty-reader-app-for-android

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Notification

We need a notification system where we will be notified when someone tags or quotes us.

This is really important.

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Dynasty Need's a like button, Nuff said.

joined Apr 2, 2011

Shiori Experience - Jimi na Watashi to Hen na Oji-san ch19 should be listed under volume 5 (and not 4).

joined Mar 25, 2013

I don't know how the the page for uploading is, but would it be difficult to add 2 more boxes for prequel and sequel and if there is one of the two, or both, it would show up on a chapter next to the 'release post' link?

This is naturally for one-shots that wasn't expected to have sequels and such, not for series/anthologies.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

I don't know how the the page for uploading is, but would it be difficult to add 2 more boxes for prequel and sequel and if there is one of the two, or both, it would show up on a chapter next to the 'release post' link?

This is naturally for one-shots that wasn't expected to have sequels and such, not for series/anthologies.

This could really work, I'm going to ask about it.

joined Mar 25, 2013

This could really work, I'm going to ask about it.

Awesome. I also meant it would have the link to the work that is a sequel or prequel. If it wasn't clear. Cause I sometimes forget to add details.

Like, if it's:

Box - Upload chapter ----- Name, Author, etc.

Box - Prequel: Link to it.
Box - Sequel: Link to it.

Something like that, and then those links will show up next to the 'release post' or somewhere better.

last edited at Apr 2, 2017 5:54AM

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

After some lengthy discussion IRC, various folks including myself have come up with a general list of ways to make Dynasty better:

• A CDN for static files (which is pretty much all of Dynasty) - even a free CDN (such as Cloudflare) would be better than not having one. If one needs to setup a subdomain (such as http://static.dynasty-scans.com) that is also really easily done with DNS records.
  • Optimized processing of all image files losslessly using JPG and PNG tools to increase loading speed, reduce bandwidth usage, reduce server HDD usage, and usability.
  • Conversion of all files of existing image formats such as GIF and TIF (if present) into optimizable PNG images (to preserve quality).
  • Implementation of JavaScript/jQuery sorting functions for the Suggestions Status page.
  • A basic contact or staff page to help speed feedback to the right place(s).
  • Implementation of site-wide HTTP/SSL support using free, verifiable libraries and certs.
  • Fixing of mobile forum layout bug (in the responsive design buttons at top)
  • Server-side enabling of gzip compression for text assets.
omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

I am skeptical how much a free CDN like Cloudflare would help. The biggest issue is overall bandwidth used, and over a large quantity of different images so it wouldn't cache well. An actual CDN would be amazing, but would cost a non trivial amount.

Is there really much size to be saved by losslessly optimizing current images? They should already be optimized pretty well when they are released by the scanlation group. There are probably a few outliers that weren't exported properly, but not sure if it is worth re-processing the entire collection for those outliers. The bigger issue I feel would be releases that are in a much higher quality then needed for web viewing (ex. 2400px tall) that I have noticed at times.

There are almost no GIF and TIF images on the site currently.

HTTPS is something I have been meaning to do for a while. As well as doing a pass on fixing bugs on mobile.

Gzip compression has always been enabled and appears to be working fine for me.

last edited at Apr 5, 2017 1:38AM

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

omnscient0
Admin
posted:

I am skeptical how much a free CDN like Cloudflare would help. The biggest issue is overall bandwidth used, and over a large quantity of different images so it wouldn't cache well. An actual CDN would be amazing, but would cost a non trivial amount.

Is there really much size to be saved by losslessly optimizing current images? They should already be optimized pretty well when they are released by the scanlation group. There are probably a few outliers that weren't exported properly, but not sure if it is worth re-processing the entire collection for those outliers. The bigger issue I feel would be releases that are in a much higher quality then needed for web viewing (ex. 2400px tall) that I have noticed at times.

There are almost no GIF and TIF images on the site currently.

HTTPS is something I have been meaning to do for a while. As well as doing a pass on fixing bugs on mobile.

Gzip compression has always been enabled and appears to be working fine for me.

As a scanlation group editor (for multiple groups), I can tell you that the optimization for images varies wildly from group to group. Programs used and their implementations vary and the groups usage of those programs and implementations also varies, causing complexity. I can tell you that on average you would save 4-10% across the board with most manga pngs using optipng (or, even better, trimage and the libs it uses). I can also tell you the jpgs across the website are mostly unoptimized and are using basic huffman tables, instead of optimized ones.

I mean, a basic free CDN is preferable for a large amount of static files than just pulling it from the server every single time. Even if it doesn't speed it up, the site will save lots of bandwidth which will save Gh0st some money. I mean, you could try it and see if it improves anything (even in a beta website, not the main, to see if it improves anything)?

Anyway, back to optimization for the images. It's also important to note that the older the images are, the more likely they are to be unoptimized, just due to the nature of technology and programming. So maybe selectively do newer stuff, but overhaul the older assets we have?

You're right about the resolution. Some people use 1024 x 768 screens while others view the website on their 4K monitors and TVs. There should probably be a set standard for website resolution and then if people want the gigantic ones, just link them to the releasers zips and stuff?

To reply you must either login or sign up.