Forum › Poor Poor Lips discussion

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Just wanted to mention that Goto did a NSFW doujinshi oneshot that takes place after the main story.

Oh my fucking god
I can't even imagine, I even forgot how they were implied to have slept together in the last chapters too, it just seems so surreal

91174211_215395393136656_8792315491096985600_n
joined Dec 5, 2016

Being transgender myself, I can't help but notice the way this author portrayed a trans man is completely weird, and sometimes outright transphobic. He does and says stuff no trans men I know would. And that bullshit about "his body is female but he's a male at heart" just makes me laugh.

Edit: He seems to think that he's a woman (with a man's heart) until he does the genital surgery. This is horrible, transphobic, completely wrong and it just shows what cisgender (non-trans) people think of us.

last edited at Mar 3, 2017 8:02AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Being transgender myself, I can't help but notice the way this author portrayed a trans man is completely weird, and sometimes outright transphobic. He does and says stuff no trans men I know would. And that bullshit about "his body is female but he's a male at heart" just makes me laugh.

Good thing it's a manga about two women falling in love and not about trans men then.

The side trans character is just a plot device, not a faithful portrayal.

joined Dec 5, 2016

So if a black character shows up and a lot of racist shit happens, it's ok because he's not the main character?

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Edit: He seems to think that he's a woman (with a man's heart) until he does the genital surgery. This is horrible, transphobic, completely wrong and it just shows what cisgender (non-trans) people think of us.

You honestly believe that no transgendered person ever thought that way? Being trans yourself doesn't make you an authority on how other trans people think.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Having just read it, I haven't seen any "phobic" or even "rude" contend regarding him. He's not much of antagonist,and he has his own struggles with his grandfather.

If anything, Ren's shown to be very superficial, swooning over him in a female outfit.

last edited at Mar 3, 2017 2:39PM

joined Dec 5, 2016

You honestly believe that no transgendered person ever thought that way? Being trans yourself doesn't make you an authority on how other trans people think.

It's a stereotype. All medical procedures are supposed to make you feel better or more comfortable with your body, they're supposed to help address problems, they don't change who you are. We're trans regardless of any medical intervention.

I've lived many years of my life inside the transgender community in Brazil. I've met several hundred other trans people, sure there are some of us who speak nonsense like this (and I don't blame them because this is what cis people have taught us) but most of us don't think his way. It's not hard to figure out what's wrong about this way of thinking once you reflect about your own feelings and experiences.

Also, we're not transgendered, because it's not something that happened to us. We're transgender (without "ed") because not conforming with the gender imposed is something that's been with us all our lives.

joined Dec 5, 2016

Having just read it, I haven't seen any "phobic" or even "rude" contend regarding him.

So the girls stripping off his clothes in order to satiate their curiosities about his body is not transphobic in the least?

When I say that he thinks he's a woman unless he does SRS, it's because when the protagonist's mother says he fooled ("you're really a woman aren't you?") he replies to that by talking about genital surgery (as if he was saying he's going to become a man).

But really people, you don't have to take my word for it. Go ask other trans people about it if you doubt me.

last edited at Mar 5, 2017 1:12AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I really don't want to repeat myself about how being part of a community doesn't make you an authority on everyone in that community's mind set. But calling it nonsense because it doesn't follow your idea of what it is to be trans is just hypocritical. Then to blame this mindset on cis people is even more offensive, as if you're saying these types of trans people can't come to this conclusion by themselves.

And no, being curious about a trans person is not transphobic. If you are going to get on my case about adding -ed then you might want to check up on what a phobia is.

But really people, you don't have to take my word for it. Go ask other trans people about it if you doubt me.

I'm sure the trans friends I know that I had read this while I was translating it and said he was a well written character are completely out of their minds, right? It's like I was curious about what they'd think or something... I also did a bit of research on trans people in Japan at the time; you might be surprised that people's opinion across the pond varies from the West to a degree.

joined Dec 5, 2016

I really don't want to repeat myself about how being part of a community doesn't make you an authority on everyone in that community's mind set.

So are you an authority then? If there was any other transgender person here and they disagreed with me, I would take their point in consideration. There's none, just me and a fictional character created by a cisgender person (or "cisgendered" if you prefer XD ). You can't really say a character knows more about the trans community than an actual trans person, can you?

But calling it nonsense because it doesn't follow your idea of what it is to be trans is just hypocritical. Then to blame this mindset on cis people is even more offensive, as if you're saying these types of trans people can't come to this conclusion by themselves.

The opposite happens. People who used to think this way sometimes report on how living with other trans people made them understand this better. I never see anyone defending this position, though. People can come to this conclusion by themselves? Sure. Have they? Nope, never heard of it.

By the way why is it you get to say what's offensive to trans people and what's not?

And no, being curious about a trans person is not transphobic. If you are going to get on my case about adding -ed then you might want to check up on what a phobia is.

What happened there was a form of violence, I've been through something similar, it's a horrible experience and NOTHING justifies it. The fact that the trans guy on that scene seems not to mind it at all is all the more evidence to how these forms of violence are naturalized in our society.

We use "transphobia" as a general term for violences aimed at the trans community, regardless of whether they were triggered by fear or not. It's the exact same for "homophobia" and "fatphobia", and a few others. This is the standard adopted by the LGBT rights movements worldwide, and so's the use of "transgender" instead of "transgendered" (nobody trans actually says transgendered, this is a cis people thing).

joined Dec 5, 2016

I'm sure the trans friends I know that I had read this while I was translating it and said he was a well written character are completely out of their minds, right? It's like I was curious about what they'd think or something... I also did a bit of research on trans people in Japan at the time; you might be surprised that people's opinion across the pond varies from the West to a degree.

My boyfriend's trans too, I've shown this to him and he agreed with me (in fact his precise reaction to some of the scenes was "what the fuck?!"). I can ask many more people too, if you want. Sure, his character does have some good points, but some stuff is quite bad too. I have no idea about the western transgender community, though.

But yeah, different trans people have different opinions on these matters. I've read a lot of criticism of Transamerica from when it was released, but I know a couple of people who liked the movie. Same with the ending of Tomboy (which is otherwise perfect <3 ). The Danish Girl is probably the most glaring example, it's either love it or hate it within the trans community.

So when you say "go ask other trans people about it if you doubt me" and at the same time "different trans people have different opinions on these matters" that means that this whole conversation is pretty much pointless now. Gotcha. Moving on then.

joined Dec 5, 2016

Yeah, I guess so. I was just pointing out some of the trans stuff here is screwed up, I didn't intend on having this huge debate about it, but I guess people felt like I was attacking their beloved series or something.

joined Dec 5, 2016

I'm sure the trans friends I know that I had read this while I was translating it and said he was a well written character are completely out of their minds, right?

I'm curious now though. Didn't they say anything about "in order to gain your favor I don't mind showing up like this in front of you"? That was a red flag for me, it's a really weird behavior for a trans person, given how uncomfortable this situation makes us,0. Or about the scene where the girls take off his clothes by force? Or how the lesbian girl not feeling weird when he touches her and blushing when he flirts kind of implies he's "not a real man"? What did they say then?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

People, me included, just felt that you derided an overall very sweet series, that just had a trans character that you, personally, found offensive.

"some of the trans stuff here is screwed up" is just personal opinion. It was maybe misinformed, but not intentional and not every trans on earth shares that opinion.

If I was throwing a tantrum every time I read a manga where "some of the lesbian stuff is screwed up", I'd be permanently angry.

Anger is bad for your health.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Like pretty much anything, how people go about these kinds of issues varies depending on the individual. Some people are content with just the "I think therefore I am" approach, but a lot of the others will still feel restrained by the way their body works (for example, male-at-birth children who identify as female but feel impacted by the unfeminine voice brought about by puberty), and it's not some horribly anti-LGBT taboo or something if they want to take an operation or something to give themselves that extra confirmation.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Mod hat on

I think we're at the point where everyone's said their piece pretty clearly and a few have dug in their heels.

So let's all walk away now, because I can't see where continuing is going to do anyone any good.

last edited at Mar 5, 2017 10:12AM

Is the hat a trilby? I hope it is.

*Tips mod hat* m' imoutos

Anyway, this could have been much worse. Could have been Kyou Kara Yon Shimai levels of forum shenanigans, haha.

joined Dec 5, 2016

Like pretty much anything, how people go about these kinds of issues varies depending on the individual. Some people are content with just the "I think therefore I am" approach, but a lot of the others will still feel restrained by the way their body works (for example, male-at-birth children who identify as female but feel impacted by the unfeminine voice brought about by puberty), and it's not some horribly anti-LGBT taboo or something if they want to take an operation or something to give themselves that extra confirmation.

Oh no I didn't mean that at all ^-^
Most trans people have or had body problems, and it's a perfectly valid experience. Each person has a different relation with their body, some feel anxious about it, others feel disconnected from it, and so on. The point is, no surgeries or other medical procedures are going to change who you are, and stating that you had (or will have) surgeries to "become a man/woman" is kinda disrespectful to all the trans people who've fought for recognition and survival for the hundreds of years before any medical intervention was available. And that sort of gets to me, so I lost my temper (sowwy).

I'm not gonna say "forgive me for pointing out transphobic messages in an otherwise wonderful love story", but I do understand there's no reason to push this issue any further, sorry for bothering you people.

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

And now to something completly different:

Can we maybe get the rest of this work?

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

And now to something completly different:

Can we maybe get the rest of this work?

Dynasty legally can't upload all the chapters that were released by JManga, since those are official releases. You can probably find rips of those somewhere, but as far as Dynasty's concerned, only stuff that's been fanlated can be added.

There is the doujin epilogue, Berry Berry Berry A, which Binbou released ages ago but didn't get added to Dynasty because it was spoilery for the time it was released, I guess. If Arc gives the okay, there'd probably be no reason it couldn't be uploaded here with the Spoilers tag.

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

So, with jmanga being non-existend anymore, who holds the right of their translations?

Btw I find a statement abough copyright on a scanlation webside a bit weird. Nur that may be just me...

Goggled Anon
Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

So, with jmanga being non-existend anymore, who holds the right of their translations?

Btw I find a statement abough copyright on a scanlation webside a bit weird. Nur that may be just me...

True, most of what we do isn't exactly legal in the first place, but directly uploading official translations is practically begging for one of the publishing companies to come and shut things down.
As for who owns the rights, I'm assuming JManga's downfall means they should be returned to their original publishers. I think there's one or two JManga titles that have been picked up by other publishers for web/print, so I guess it's just a case of poking your favourite publisher about whatever titles you want to see relicensed.

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

As for who owns the rights, I'm assuming JManga's downfall means they should be returned to their original publishers. I think there's one or two JManga titles that have been picked up by other publishers for web/print, so I guess it's just a case of poking your favourite publisher about whatever titles you want to see relicensed.

If the rights for PPL have fallen back to the original publisher in Japan - I don't think it ever has been published or licensed in another language - then doesn't that make it no different then any other work published on dynasty?

To reply you must either login or sign up.