Forum › Pan de Peace! discussion

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

obssesednuker, from what manga is that review?

This one:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/hikaru-no-go/vol-1/by-justin-freeman

The bread manga in question is probably Yakitate!! Japan. It's a gloriously loopy series, and the judge for most of the contests/battles is at least as bad as the contestants, if not more so.

It kept going crazier and crazier. It was fun for a long while actually - but at some point it just went over the top. I enjoyed it, but at time-travel and mind-control bread I just had enough.

last edited at Sep 10, 2015 6:29PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

This one:

The bread manga in question is probably Yakitate!! Japan. It's a gloriously loopy series, and the judge for most of the contests/battles is at least as bad as the contestants, if not more so.

It kept going crazier and crazier. It was fun for a long while actually - but at some point it just went over the top. I enjoyed it, but at time-travel and mind-control bread I just had enough.

I got as far as the time travel one, which was sort of a fitting cap on the whole arc of the competition judge. Didn't really go past that, because really what's the point?

Tumblr_mqsgcvuolq1s1l3cpo1_500
joined Jul 12, 2012

Lol the title translates: Bread of Peace. I seriously don't doubt that I'll see a lot of spanish people reading this xD
Also 'pan' translates as bread in both spanish and japanese.

As I recall, Japan adopted the word "pan" from the Dutch.

It wasn't from the Portuguese?

Afaik from my japanese teacher portuguese christians came to japan and brought bread with them and they called it pan ( パン) thats why its written in katakana cause the origin came frim abroad and they didnt knew what bread was before the portuguese came.

That may be right ans my memory is slightly off. It's definitely not from the French "pain", even though it's a homophone. I do know that European traders, mostly Portugese and Dutch, were very much present in Japan long before Admiral Perry's day, acting as vital trading intermediaries with China, who Japan was officially at odds with but were happy to trade with indirectly. The Jesuits were a big part of that, as I recall, and one of the big universities where I come from is named after Francis Xavier, who was one of the major players. At least until the Franciscans came along and fucked things up.

Oh god I seriously did not expect a debate about this o.o But anyways I just meant that 'pan' means the same in spanish too, but since you guys brought up an interesting topic I did my research to the point that I know that the word originally came from the Latin word 'patina' (meaning 'dish') and throughout there the word itself evolved in other languages. Yes the Dutch had an influence, and so did others. It just happens that the Portuguese travelers first introduced the bread into Japanese culture and since they didn't have a word for it they basically borrowed the word and that's why they write pan in katakana because it's a foreign word. Oh and 'pan' is pronounced almost the exact same way in all europe, or it's atlease similar in some way.

joined Jan 8, 2014

Also the bread tag is amazing

Right!? I was like "wha?"
But yeah for the first ch seems like it may be a cute lil series :)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It just happens that the Portuguese travelers first introduced the bread into Japanese culture and since they didn't have a word for it they basically borrowed the word and that's why they write pan in katakana because it's a foreign word.

It's kind of cool to think that "pan" for bread is probably one of the very oldest European import words in the Japanese language.

Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

This one:

Thanks obssesednuker and Nezchan.

Time-travel and mind-control bread? Seriously?

Ran-chwan
joined Sep 8, 2014

Chapter 2 added. Noa is so cute!

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

omg she is so CUUUUUUUUUUUU- HNNNNNNNNNNNG~!

joined Mar 23, 2013

I concur with the chapter title. A real baguette is quite the weapon wit just a little time.

last edited at Sep 16, 2015 5:51PM

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

oh my.... I didn't know bread could cause cavities... making yet another appointment with my dentist...

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

So, this is getting an anime

It seems decent?

i'd totally watch it
It seems like a cute slice of life involving cute girls and bread, and I'm sensing some yuri subtext too

Slice of bread involving cute girls.

joined Aug 31, 2015

Page 4

Baguettes are high-tier even in the world of bread.

Yup, baguette is best bread indeed.

Noa is so cute, it's like you instantly wnat to pet her and give her snacks.

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

They didn't choose the bread life. The bread life chose them.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

i agree with the campaign at the end for the "large chested loli" XD

last edited at Sep 17, 2015 5:01PM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

I actually don't like baguettes. The crust tends to be too thick, and if you slice it it goes "against" the bite.

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

this is beyond awesome, esp paired with the fact that there is a actual bread tag. will definitely watch an anime of this cuteness lol

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

It seems like a cute slice of life involving cute girls and bread, and I'm sensing some yuri subtext too

This is from Emily,so expecting more in the future.

joined Aug 31, 2015

I actually don't like baguettes. The crust tends to be too thick, and if you slice it it goes "against" the bite.

This is the case with cheap industrial baguettes. If you ever had a good one, the crust is not hard nor thick and the taste is just wonderful. I often got scolded by my parents for eating a third of the baguette when I go t this for fetch some.

Ran-chwan
joined Sep 8, 2014

Chapter 3 released. Barely made it under a month since the last chapter.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

HA! i bet the person that rejected the subtext tag is feeling bad now!

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Time to rinse myself with another subtext.

joined Dec 22, 2014

Cute u love this series.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

~~ Fluffy ~~

Reimu-shock
joined Mar 27, 2015

Yum more bread!

To reply you must either login or sign up.