Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Aaahhhh the progress the wonderful progress and that face at the end of Hana falling in love omg so precious just pure bliss yessss

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I get what people are saying about this one feeling a lot less fleshed out than something like Girl Friends. I don't think it's a totally vapid series though. If you look at some of her other series like The Secret Recipe or Secret of the Princess they're still not nearly as fleshed out as Girl Friends. The other characters in those only serve specific plot purposes. Definitely nothing special, in my opinion, and most certainly not my favorite series by her but I've still enjoyed every chapter so far and look forward to the next volume.

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

is it me or was the afterword comic not typeset? bunch of blank bubbles in the morinaga catscapades.

last edited at Nov 23, 2016 7:33PM

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

is it me or was the afterword comic not typeset? bunch of blank bubbles in the morinaga catscapades.

Nope, they gave the reason a few pages back.

What's with pgs 26-27 in ch 12?

LOL! I didn't see that Malibu actually uploaded them already...
I didn't translate them yet. They'll be added later.

Woops, yeah, I figured I would upload them as a teaser for now :) Sorry! We'll translate and update the chapter soon!

last edited at Nov 23, 2016 7:35PM

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

lol of course... the one time i dont go back and start reading the thread at the first release-day-time-stamp

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

But then . . . how does she do that? I'm reading this absolutely typical "first date at the fireworks festival in yukata" scene, OK better because it's yuri girls both in a yukata, but I've read these a thousand times before--and then suddenly I realize my body is actually reacting to the romantic tension between them. I got a bit of heartbeat, that tingly feeling in the pit of my stomach, like that. She can do this apparently bog-standard stuff and she just brings the feelings, it's like magic.

Yes! Seriously, I can read Chapters 10 and 12 over and over. Just watching Hina admit her love for Hana to herself is breathtaking. And likewise with Hana realizing she loves Hina. I want to read about characters in love, and I want to believe it. There's a lot of yuri manga out there that doesn't make me believe it, but this one does. So many little details that absolutely sell it.

EDIT: One of my favorite bits, right here. Just so caught up in the moment, time freezes for both of them. Then reality sets in and they get all flustered, and it's totally believable.

last edited at Nov 23, 2016 8:27PM

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

\o/ we did it!

last edited at Nov 23, 2016 8:44PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

UlquiorraSchiffer1

When I said it's time to stop, that wasn't an amusing joke. I've deleted your post, and you're getting another one-day ban.

It's not a 30-day because I'm such a total softie.

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

The Nez hammer is reluctant but just.

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I do like the progression of punishment though. 1-day ban if you cross the line. Then if you still didn't learn your lesson, immediately jump to 1 month.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I do like the progression of punishment though. 1-day ban if you cross the line. Then if you still didn't learn your lesson, immediately jump to 1 month.

Unfortunately, the way the system is set up my options are 1 hour, 1 day, 1 month and forever. So there's not really a lot of options from my end.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Doing a Fibonacci sequence of blocks would be pretty nifty, though.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Chapter 12 drinking game: Take a shot every time you read the word "staple".

Poor Faust begged us to change this, lol, but the redundance is intended as a running joke.

y u do dis

Futakaku Kankei is amazing, and I can't wait to get started on it!

FUTAKAKU KANKEI IS SO GOOD, GUYS. I LEGIT SKIMMED CHINESE RAWS FOR IT, AND UNDERSTOOD LIKE 5% OF THE TEXT AND IT WAS STILL DELICIOUS. IT'S SUCH A TREAT.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

But then . . . how does she do that? I'm reading this absolutely typical "first date at the fireworks festival in yukata" scene, OK better because it's yuri girls both in a yukata, but I've read these a thousand times before--and then suddenly I realize my body is actually reacting to the romantic tension between them. I got a bit of heartbeat, that tingly feeling in the pit of my stomach, like that. She can do this apparently bog-standard stuff and she just brings the feelings, it's like magic.

Yes! Seriously, I can read Chapters 10 and 12 over and over. Just watching Hina admit her love for Hana to herself is breathtaking. And likewise with Hana realizing she loves Hina. I want to read about characters in love, and I want to believe it. There's a lot of yuri manga out there that doesn't make me believe it, but this one does. So many little details that absolutely sell it.

EDIT: One of my favorite bits, right here. Just so caught up in the moment, time freezes for both of them. Then reality sets in and they get all flustered, and it's totally believable.

By GOD you are right. This chapter has been done thousand of times before. And yet, Morinaga's art and timing make it so fresh, so delightful, that I caught myself blushing aggressively along side Hana

Cinnabar-profile
joined Aug 3, 2015

This is exactly how I feel about the series. The simple romantic scenes are executed to such perfection, the entire second half of this chapter was like butterflies in the stomach. Tell me I'm not the only one here who gets stuck for five minutes smiling my face off at panels like this...

last edited at Nov 24, 2016 4:00AM

9020bea3a3cd0354c95399402120ae64
joined May 19, 2016

CHAPTER 12!!! YES!! oh how i love chapter 12 been waiting for this day to happen for a while now she have feelings for her :)

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

The romance and tension is great, but Morinaga's pacing leaves a lot to be desired. I always thought she could use an editor to prod her into expediting things. Axing her series is a rather extreme way to go about it.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

This is exactly how I feel about the series. The simple romantic scenes are executed to such perfection, the entire second half of this chapter was like butterflies in the stomach. Tell me I'm not the only one here who gets stuck for five minutes smiling my face off at panels like this...

You know, looking at those bits and a little around them something occurred to me. It's a subtle fannish point: Hana looks like all Morinaga's other heroines in that model, like Mari or Nana. But her happy expression is more like Tamami the cheerful otaku girl from Girl Friends than it is like Mari when she's happy.

(Incidentally I think Hina is actually a rare-ish departure, quite different from any Morinaga Milk character I've seen before. Some people have said she's like Hitomi or Akko only taller, but IMO compared to them aside from the height she has a different face, different body style, different expressions, and different personality; the only thing that's the same is that she's the blond one.)

last edited at Nov 24, 2016 1:33PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The romance and tension is great, but Morinaga's pacing leaves a lot to be desired. I always thought she could use an editor to prod her into expediting things. Axing her series is a rather extreme way to go about it.

Bah. Yuri fans are too used to tiny stuff--oneshots and little weeny miniseries. OK, make a virtue of necessity, but frankly it's a bit of a ghetto we end up in from being a smaller niche. Morinaga Milk is one of the few yuri mangaka who ever gets away with longer, shoujo-style series with some time to build something. I'm all for it.
There have been very few yuri series I ever thought got too long (as distinct from sucking so bad they shouldn't exist at all). Sasameki Koto could have used some significant cutting in the later chapters. Aoi Hana . . . well, what do you even say, that's how Shimura Takako rolls. Aside from that, nothing comes to mind.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Purple Library Guy posted:

(Incidentally I think Hina is actually a rare-ish departure, quite different from any Morinaga Milk character I've seen before. Some people have said she's like Hitomi or Akko only taller, but IMO compared to them aside from the height she has a different face, different body style, different expressions, and different personality; the only thing that's the same is that she's the blond one.)

I think Hina's actually a bit more similar in personality to Tamamin than Hitomi or Akko. Also despite looking generally like Akko she kinda seems like Sugi-san with her whole modelling deal and everyone going gaga over how beautiful she is.

Girl%20with%20a%20black%20cat%20avatar
joined Dec 27, 2015

Ropponmatsu

@Nya
I have yet to read anything too saccharine for my tastes, lmao. But I fully understand the criticism Hana and Hina is getting, even if I enjoy it a lot myself.

Same. Yes, I like it fleshed out and world building. But I like fluffy and sweet and straight forward too. I like cake. Bring on the frosting!
This chapter made me feel excited, romantic and sexual. I like the tension of discovery of feelings. It's not A masterpiece. Doesn't need to be as long as it's sweet and tasty!

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I think Hina's actually a bit more similar in personality to Tamamin than Hitomi or Akko. Also despite looking generally like Akko she kinda seems like Sugi-san with her whole modelling deal and everyone going gaga over how beautiful she is.

I'm gonna miss Hina tbh (I like her character design), she doesn't really remind me of any of Morinaga's other characters. Sure, she's the one with lighter hair colour, the stylish one, but she's also really shy and kinda reserved, actually? I don't really remember Hitomi, but Tamamin and Akko are more the type of girls to pull ppl along (genki and shit), but as for Hana and Hina, none of them are exceptionally energetic/really do that, there's this awkwardness between them and I think it's pretty cute. No one is overly familiar and "forces" the other to catch up, Hana and Hina aren't very close, but to a certain point they're used to each other's presence and would like to become closer. It's sweet.
Sure Morinaga has written stylish characters before, but none of them like Hina. She's shy, quieter, hesitant, she's more of an introvert, compared to what you'd believe at first, judging from her character design. Ah I'm really gonna miss that :'(

last edited at Nov 25, 2016 12:49PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Faust posted:

I don't really remember Hitomi, but Tamamin and Akko are more the type of girls to pull ppl along (genki and shit), but as for Hana and Hina, none of them are exceptionally energetic/really do that, there's this awkwardness between them and I think it's pretty cute.

Hitomi was shier and less energetic than Tamamin and Akko but not nearly as much as Hina. Though she was, nonetheless, popular herself.

Edit: All this talk about Nana and Hitomi really makes me want to go reread that now. I'll have to do that some time soon, lol.

last edited at Nov 25, 2016 1:00PM

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

I would like a story where Milk's characters run into each other and hang out.

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

Gosh, this chapter was lovely.

To reply you must either login or sign up.