Forum › A "small" topic for video games

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Hatred's publicity was successful, even if it is just a mediocre top-down shooter with not much substance. All it had going for it was selling power: social-disruptive controversy, the more talk about it, the more ppl know of it. Letting people know it's a [game] and it exists -> the basic goal of publicity.

Well, unless you're making a distinction between publicity and marketing, then making people want to spend money on the game is a pretty basic goal too.

Without all the noise it would've quietly sunk like the rest of the average indie games that hit Steam's storefront. With that I give a slow clap to all those who argued for/against it, cuz they were an integral part of the publicity strategy.

Oh, that's clear. Certainly the people arguing against it ended up with egg on their faces. On the other hand the people who were clamoring for it as a chance to "stick it to the SJW's" or whatever also have egg on their faces (because well, it doesn't stick it to anybody really), and are about $20 poorer each to boot. So bravo on successful "gimmick"-based marketing, although I doubt it'll translate into long-term sales and people are gonna side-eye anything else from this studio.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Well, unless you're making a distinction between publicity and marketing, then making people want to spend money on the game is a pretty basic goal too.

Indie game, that would otherwise silently fade away from existence, sold enough to make it to the top sellers of steam, it's surrounded by AAA games.

Release spike of 3000 people simultaneously playing Hatred. The average indie game dev would kill to get these numbers at least, oh and it also has a pretty good rating steam review-wise
https://steamdb.info/app/341940/graphs/

With luck, an indie game that people sorta talked about goes like this
https://steamdb.info/app/332500/graphs/

Another that does not get much attention (which coulda been Hatred's case)
https://steamdb.info/app/295790/graphs/
EDIT: Scratch that, actually there was tons of talk about it and sold pretty well on other platforms.

Another that got a lot of talk
https://steamdb.info/app/253330/graphs/

Now a GOOD INDIE GAME, made by a single person, very well received and praised.
https://steamdb.info/app/236090/graphs/
^ This one has been out for quite a while, sales are probably good, magnified due to it being just 1 dev.

Most of these are single player games, spikes could mean new buyers or new patch, even if you add up each spike they don't get more than Hatred's single (release) spike.

Not everybody can be as popular as Hotline Miami, they got A LOT of attention.
https://steamdb.info/app/274170/graphs/

Oh, that's clear. Certainly the people arguing against it ended up with egg on their faces. On the other hand the people who were clamoring for it as a chance to "stick it to the SJW's" or whatever also have egg on their faces (because well, it doesn't stick it to anybody really), and are about $20 poorer each to boot. So bravo on successful "gimmick"-based marketing, although I doubt it'll translate into long-term sales and people are gonna side-eye anything else from this studio.

It sold, the "gimmick" worked. Simply by having people even look at whatever they make next is a good thing. it's not like they could make anything that would actually sell on it's own merits, and even if they had something innovative and creative it would not guarantee sales if it does not make any noise. A lot of good innovative games go down quietly due to this.

I am not defending them, just saying that this is probably the best they could've done to sell their game and get known as somebody.

Steam might not be an accurate representation of total sales, but it certainly is the best place to see activity/population flow/etc.

EDIT: lots of edit cuz of redundancy and other errors.

last edited at Jun 4, 2015 11:00AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It sold, the "gimmick" worked. Simply by having people even look at whatever they make next is a good thing.

Actually, I think that'll only be effective if they release something actually well put together relatively quickly. Given one of the greatest sins of this game is how dull it is once you've played more than 10 minutes or so, it'd be quite easy for the public to forget about it. So if they don't have something waiting in the wings to take advantage of that, it's entirely possible that attention will dissipate by the time they do have another release. They've chosen a route which is very much a fine balancing act, and many game/film/comic/whatever studios have folded by not managing it. We'll see if they can do it but I have my doubts.

What I will be interested in seeing is whether Steam's new refund policy, introduced the very next day after Hatred's release, will affect ongoing sales. Not to mention how much sales will drop following the initial spike and spate of bad reviews. It'll be worth watching six months from now.

Also, hellyeah Dust! I loved that game, so fun and it made you feel like a real badass with those combos.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Indeed, whether they are smart or not will also show.

Also, if they plan to ride the wave of controversy again it will fail miserably.

Maybe they will make a something totally different: Game about making the world a happy place with bakery sweets, with a pastel cake color palette, creative/fun mechanics, optimized performance, and something actually worth the buying price.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Small world huh?

Series: Tekken Pairing: Asuka x Lili Link: pixiv1 pixiv2
tekken 7 plz make them canon

Neu
joined Jan 12, 2014

Small world huh?

Well what do you expect? If you are trying to make something innovative you are looking for stuff that nobody has done before. It's not that rare that people who analyze "what players want" come to the same conclusion after looking at most likely the same statistics. (Then there is also the thing with idea theft but that's another story)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Small world huh?

Well what do you expect? If you are trying to make something innovative you are looking for stuff that nobody has done before. It's not that rare that people who analyze "what players want" come to the same conclusion after looking at most likely the same statistics. (Then there is also the thing with idea theft but that's another story)

Not to mention, Perception itself calls back to The Devil's Tuning Fork from 2010, although there's no reference to it in the article.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Why is Star Ocean Last Hope so tragic? the name "Last hope" is really meaninfull now, but idk what's the hope yet ... I've never seen a rpg or a game with so much death I'm talking about whole worlds, civilizations and towns and just when you think there's something good happening... BANG! more people die!! Poor Feize, can you be happy? It's been 20 hours of gameplay ... The hard part hasn't come yet and that scares me lol

last edited at Jun 5, 2015 12:01PM

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I've never seen a rpg or a game with so much death

Did you ever play Civ 5? Cause it's just atomic bombs all day long in that game.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

XSEED's gonna have a busy year

Neu
joined Jan 12, 2014

XSEED's gonna have a busy year

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter AND Trails of Cold Steel?
Urgh guess I need a job after all.....
also last comments starting monday I'll be gone ;_;

last edited at Jun 5, 2015 3:22PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Asa-senpai... I can't do it without you, please don't graduate... stay with me

Neu
joined Jan 12, 2014

I'll be back August....if I find a job.....and a new apartment....

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Wish onechanbara was on the Wii u too but what can we do...

I'll be back August....if I find a job.....and a new apartment....

SENPAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIII we all need more money -_-"

Series: KoF Pairing: Kula x Whip NSFW Link: pixiv

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Kula not being paired with B. Jenet or Ninon Beart? NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Kula not being paired with B. Jenet or Ninon Beart? NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

That was quick XD

Neu
joined Jan 12, 2014

This thing has no right to be THIS amusing

Rights exist to be broken

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

This thing has no right to be THIS amusing

Where the heck is that from? XD I'm picturing the whole thing in my head.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

So........I bought Splatoon............see you in a few days.......... and ALMOST ended up wasting more money in the amiibo trio f**k I lie I'll be around for a little while today

I don't know if I'll be around tomorrow so see you later Asa-senpai

Series: Kid Icarus Pairing: Palutena x Medusa Link: pixiv1 pixiv2 <-NSFW
I wish there was more Kid Icarus yuri like Viridi x Phosphora or something, it seems Palutena gets shipped with everyone except the KI: U girls <_<

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

I'm I liar, I should get punished. And Chain 3 link post! +10 defense.

I'm having a lot of fun with Splatoon but it's definitely not perfect: there was no lag in the demo but I guess I was been unrealistic(it all depends on everyone's connection, most matches are pretty good) eg. Splat someone then 6 secs later I'm dead...why? that guy way over there that just popped into existence.
The only other problem I had was the lobby: me lvl 6 - others lvl 15-20 and one time it was 3 lvl 20(16) vs our lvl 5-8 wow balanced game guys! at least some of those guys sucked so...yeah....Anyway great game no joke.

Game: Final Fantasy 6 Pairing: Tina/Terra x Celes Links: deviantart1 deviantart2
Someday I'll beat this game

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

found a free but great game on steam: Freshman Year, visual novel with special art and feeling, it's het, more or less, but it's worth a look,

a game where you can choose sex and sexual preference of the protagonist, and they affect the game, is Always sometimes monster ! i played it only recently and i'm amazed, a society where people make and play these games can't be so bad

have someone played Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth2 ? i saw good rew but i'm not sure

last edited at Jun 8, 2015 5:53AM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

found a free but great game on steam: Freshman Year, visual novel with special art and feeling, it's het, more or less, but it's worth a look,

a game where you can choose sex and sexual preference of the protagonist, and they affect the game, is Always sometimes monster ! i played it only recently and i'm amazed, a society where people make and play these games can't be so bad

have someone played Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth2 ? i saw good rew but i'm not sure

Rebirth is a pretty fun if somewhat simple RPG.

There's not a lot of strategy involved on the battle system (and most of it is used against the optional super bosses) but is a pleasant experience nonetheless. Although you need to enjoy its humor and their characters since the whole series' appeal hinges on it.

There's a lot of different endings so you will get a decent lifespan from it oh, and the DLC utterly crushes the game dificulty.

Anyways,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_S1Zw8tio&feature=youtu.be

I NEED a PS4

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Conquest ending was fucking depressing, yo.

last edited at Jun 8, 2015 12:39PM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Can't wait till black friday to get those games haha but I'm a wuss so I won't get any depressing ending when I play...well maybe once like I'll do for P4G.

When heard Capcom announced a new Megaman collection I was like GASP!...but then I was like wait...only 1-6? why not 1-10+wily wars(and maybe some spin-offs)? the anniversary collection(a 6th gen game) had more games! why didn't they HDd all that throw in a few extras and bam! "new game" or even better...remakes?. I get what they are doing and I'm glad they are doing something with the series but why not go all in? it's just odd...but it's Capcom after all...

Series: Rockman exe Pairing: Roll.exe x Medi Link: pixiv
Monday pic? wtf?

This topic has been locked.