Forum › Miyakodori discussion

Urashi C. Pin
Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

more asagi is great

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Is it a period classic? is it a typical "onee-sama" kind of relationship? Is the old lady secretly gay?
It doesn't matter, mature yuri warms my soul

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

I love geisha stuff!

Prprcharlotte_8
joined Apr 1, 2013

I love that there is only the NSFW tag like the author's name speaks for itself.
Really good story like always :3

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

I was confused a lot in the dialogue. Ah well, it was very nice art.

joined Jun 3, 2017

I was hoping there is more, cuz it good. Like really good

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I thought it was set a good while ago at first but it seems contemporary. Do they really still have Geisha who dress and live like that? There can't be many surely.

Is it set in that historical reenactment area of Kyoto? Seems odd how everyone is always dressed like they are from the Meiji period or older.

I also found it a little confusing / disjointed in places.

last edited at May 5, 2018 3:26AM

Money_marie%202
joined Jan 18, 2017

Is it a period classic? is it a typical "onee-sama" kind of relationship? Is the old lady secretly gay?
It doesn't matter, mature yuri warms my soul

The VIP came with a car, probably it's a rural area where cars aren't worth for local transport

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ Fairly sure it is set in Kyoto given the TL note on the Maiko term. Also You can see high rises and neon signs etc. Only Kyoto is famous for Geisha as far as I know (maybe Tokyo too?) You are not gonna have Geisha schools out in the country - you need to be where all the rich guys are.

last edited at May 5, 2018 9:56AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I thought it was set a good while ago at first but it seems contemporary. Do they really still have Geisha who dress and live like that? There can't be many surely.

From what I've read, yes. There's this whole idea of the living cultural treasure thing in Japan, where you've got people whose job it is to carry on ancient ways or crafts and be visible doing so. So geishas walking the street and doing performances at festivals, traditional craftspeople, and so forth.

Is it set in that historical reenactment area of Kyoto? Seems odd how everyone is always dressed like they are from the Meiji period or older.

As above, the modern geisha do it as a full-time lifestyle until they retire. So they dress like that in public and are trained to speak in a manner that matches, which is probably where the awkward dialogue comes from. I can't imagine it's easy to translate the courtly/archaic/oblique phrasing well.

joined Mar 15, 2017

^ Fairly sure it is set in Kyoto given the TL note on the Maiko term. Also You can see high rises and neon signs etc. Only Kyoto is famous for Geisha as far as I know (maybe Tokyo too?) You are not gonna have Geisha schools out in the country - you need to be where all the rich guys are.

Kyoto is where Shouko left from. This is a hanamachi near Tokyo Skytree, so I guess Mukojima.

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

Not gonna lie, I cringed a little with those nails

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This was nice. :O

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

So who was the ex lover? The old woman? o_O I'm so curious.

joined Mar 15, 2017

So who was the ex lover? The old woman? o_O I'm so curious.

Shouko's? They said she was a maiko, which means an apprentice geisha in Kyoto, usually a teenager. The girl acted to protect herself by throwing Shouko under the bus, so the girl is presumably still in Kyoto.

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

I wish this artist could draw more than one face and one expression. "Mild embarrassment", panel after panel.

last edited at May 8, 2018 3:08PM

joined Feb 1, 2013

As I enter into my early 30s, I realize that the things that appeal to me have changed drastically over the years. So I can related to these ladies on some levels. Also, Asagi Ryuu is such a good mangaka, that I've been able to equally enjoyed both their yuri and het works... (Asagi does great work with hot cougar ladies).

To reply you must either login or sign up.